Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Quick Santa Sleigh review: lots of stickers on curved or small pieces, build is pretty fragile, a bunch of the piece count is spent on the presents which just get piled in the back. Sleigh looks great though. Not my favorite set but will look nice on the mantle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Oh she has three Pink Princesses but their value has dropped significantly so they aren’t as prized anymore. Some company managed to successfully produce them from tissue cultures and flooded the market.

Good lord I know too much about this.

Do plant people like Madagascar Jewel? That's the weirdest thing I grow.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Is that an indica?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Prophet of Nixon posted:

My partner isn’t into succulents so if it’s big in the houseplant world I wouldn’t have heard about it.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
By the way we have the Lego Bird of Paradise on a low shelf with a bunch of other plants and she’s almost watered it a few times when she isn’t paying close attention.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Bird of Paradise to bring the family together.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Swung past the Lego store today and saw the AT-AT in person and drat is it massive. Waiting for Xmas break to get started on mine.

I have the box stacked on top of my big falcon box which I haven’t built yet and my wife asked “are going to continue to surround yourself with massive Lego boxes until you can’t move?” The problem with the Falcon is not enough horizontal space at the moment while the AT-AT is vertical which is easier for me to make room for.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 18, 2021

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

tomapot posted:

I have the box stacked on top of my big falcon box which I haven’t built yet and my wife asked “are going to continue to surround yourself with massive Lego boxes until you can’t move?”
The way to answer that is by throwing the Titanic on the ol' box pile.

woah dang the first stream in weeks 'cause we're done moving and stuff! Come join a design stream at 7PM Central / ~45 mins away!

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Look, everyone loves box forts if they let themselves.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

tomapot posted:

Swung past the Lego store today and saw the AT-AT in person and drat is it massive. Waiting for Xmas break to get started on mine.

I have the box stacked on top of my big falcon box which I haven’t built yet and my wife asked “are going to continue to surround yourself with massive Lego boxes until you can’t move?” The problem with the Falcon is not enough horizontal space at the moment while the AT-AT is vertical which is easier for me to make room for.

Pictured, Kevin watching in horror as the empire blasts his home.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If you work in a Lego store do you build the displays or are they shipped to you assembled and glued

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

tomapot posted:

The problem with the Falcon is not enough horizontal space at the moment while the AT-AT is vertical which is easier for me to make room for.

Well while you're building the AT-AT just order yourself a cheap stand for the Falcon as shipping may take a while around the holidays. I went with knock-off pieces of the stand everyone uses, or you can get a fancy acrylic one.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

HootTheOwl posted:

If you work in a Lego store do you build the displays or are they shipped to you assembled and glued
The employees build 'em. I've been in the store during regular business hours when they have one employee posted up in a corner with a little cart on wheels being used as a build station for a new window display. Once, right when the Lunar Lander set was released, our LUG had a meeting at the LEGO store about an hour before it opened. They brought out their still-in-box display set and said "You guys wanna build this?" A small murder of nerds descended on it and blasted through that thing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Just put the Falcon on top of the AT-AT

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

tomapot posted:

Holy poo poo I'm stupid, I spent so long trying to figure out why you'd circled those parts

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
That's alright, my eyes skipped from that AT-AT to the placard that says "Queen Of The Ocean" and I was understandably confused.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Trying to hide my excitement as my wife just said she loves the home alone set. She’s is support of my habit but never joined in. Dare I get her Lego for Xmas, that seems kinda like sneaky buying myself a gift.

davebo posted:

Well while you're building the AT-AT just order yourself a cheap stand for the Falcon as shipping may take a while around the holidays. I went with knock-off pieces of the stand everyone uses, or you can get a fancy acrylic one.
Can you point me to what you used.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 18, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

tomapot posted:

Getting a stand for the Falcon makes it sooo much easier to display and having it swooshing looks way better than it just sitting there flat (unless there’s some sort of cool display built around it like a landing bay in a coffee table or whatever.

It should have come with a stand tbh.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

tomapot posted:

I'll chime in to say that I got the clear acrylic stand from Wicked Bricks and it looks great!

I had a cracked piece (most likely from careless delivery people) but they were great and shipped a replacement straight away.

Only thing I'd suggest is removing all the panels you can before mounting it, otherwise it's really tricky and those pieces are quite easy to reattach once it's on the stand anyway.

The model looks so much better on its side.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

tomapot posted:

Obviously the solution is to keep buying big Lego sets until you have enough boxes to make a display stand for the Falcon.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

tomapot posted:

Trying to hide my excitement as my wife just said she loves the home alone set. She’s is support of my habit but never joined in. Dare I get her Lego for Xmas, that seems kinda like sneaky buying myself a gift.

Sure, this is the knock-off I ordered just because I was placing an order at yourwobb at the time anyway: https://www.yourwobb.com/products/m...=41256191393948

I'm sure there are several similar things on rebrickable. The fact the image says designed by Efferman I assume yourwobb compensated him for the idea, I hope? I dunno how all that works, all I know is it was a pain to get mounted but it looks great and doesn't use up much room.

Or if you've got the money and don't want to build a boring all-technic stand just get this: https://www.idisplayit.co.uk/us/stands/2in1-display-stand-mk2-for-75192-ucs-millennium-falcon/

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Did anyone get the big Diagon Alley set? Thoughts?

I keep looking at it and finally added it to my wishlist. $400 just seems really high. But it does look like a cool display piece and fun build...

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Just finished the Mario Questionmark Block which I was skeptical about at first, but it‘s such a joyful build. Really cool set.

Now gonna finish the AT-AT.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

HootTheOwl posted:

Pictured, Kevin watching in horror as the empire blasts his home.

Home Alone 3000: Left on Hoth

Can Kevin stop the galactic emperor in time?

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 19, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

OSU_Matthew posted:

Oh no we left Kevin home alone! And he's only a Padawan!
*Cut to an AT-AT exploding*

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Why's everyone posing their AT-AT so weird?

because they can

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

OSU_Matthew posted:

Wanna see a tripwire that launches a mouse droid right at Vader's nuts.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Finished the AT-AT. I think from the big Star Wars UCS Sets I built (Falcon old/new, ISD old/new) it might actually be my favourite building experience. Only the feet dragged a bit (haha). Overall I would have wished they didn‘t include an interior, and spent the parts to make it just a bit bigger, so the legs don‘t look so much out of scale, as they are clearly way to thick, but I guess there is no other way to make it as stable as it is. And the mechanism both for the feet and of course for posing the legs is really cool.

Might be the first UCS set I will mod a bit though. Still too expensive imo compared to Falcon and ISD.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Fairly obvious manual error early on on the Titanic build.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Fairly obvious manual error early on on the Titanic build.

step 133 is early?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

tuo posted:

Finished the AT-AT. I think from the big Star Wars UCS Sets I built (Falcon old/new, ISD old/new) it might actually be my favourite building experience. Only the feet dragged a bit (haha). Overall I would have wished they didn‘t include an interior, and spent the parts to make it just a bit bigger, so the legs don‘t look so much out of scale, as they are clearly way to thick, but I guess there is no other way to make it as stable as it is. And the mechanism both for the feet and of course for posing the legs is really cool.

Might be the first UCS set I will mod a bit though. Still too expensive imo compared to Falcon and ISD.

The legs are always going to be out of scale with the body if it's going to be stable enough to stand by itself. Increasing the size of the body would just necessitate scaling up the legs to cope with the extra weight. As it is its nearly perfect minifig scale.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Butterfly Valley posted:

The legs are always going to be out of scale with the body if it's going to be stable enough to stand by itself. Increasing the size of the body would just necessitate scaling up the legs to cope with the extra weight. As it is its nearly perfect minifig scale.

CaveGod would like to have a word with you (it stands by itself, just don't bump it. It's not "Lego-stable" for sure)

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

HootTheOwl posted:

step 133 is early?

In a set with 9,000 pieces and three separate 300 page instruction manuals? Yeah.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

So.. i just spend a week sorting all my childhood Lego and started building every set i have to check if its still complete. First five are done, another 75 to go I think.

I'm amazed at the durability of Lego. Some of the stuff is now third generation and it holds up remarkably well. Except for printed tiles, they are starting to fade hard.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

In a set with 9,000 pieces and three separate 300 page instruction manuals? Yeah.

Okay, you got me. I didn't notice anything when I did this step, what's wrong with it?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The parts list doesn’t match the assembly, it’s a different coupler.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Oh I never look at the parts list, lol

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
There's 3 or 4 mistakes between the three books, I think they're all parts list errors, except this one where steps 320 and 321 are in the wrong order.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
No wonder it sank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

HootTheOwl posted:

No wonder it sank.