Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

xiw posted:

Weird to me that the old man will still give you his key when you talk to him even if you've pissed him off?

I think thats probably a bug, I was also able to talk to people/trade with them after I killed them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I just got into Egg, Inc. a couple of days ago, already prestiged once and advancing in eggs fairly often. There is something wonderfully absurd about watching a few hundred pixel-hens stream from the hatchery into a house bigger than mine to poo poo out fusion-power eggs while killing drones :allears:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

xiw posted:

Weird to me that the old man will still give you his key when you talk to him even if you've pissed him off?

There's a few bugs like that, but they're getting found.

The assassin can be killed multiple times and still give a gold reward. It's a bit of a trip to the blacksmith from there, but it can get out of control once your familiarity starts to go up.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

D34THROW posted:

I just got into Egg, Inc. a couple of days ago, already prestiged once and advancing in eggs fairly often. There is something wonderfully absurd about watching a few hundred pixel-hens stream from the hatchery into a house bigger than mine to poo poo out fusion-power eggs while killing drones :allears:

I got back into this for a week or so then fell back off. It said my save was cloud loaded from 2017. I can't believe it had been 4 loving years.

Still a good game but it's way more active than I was really looking for once you start having challenges.

I wanted a game I could basically spam click 1-2 days after work when I'm in depression mode and only able to watch reruns after work and low effort games. Egg Inc wants you looking at it every day or you fail the challenge because other players will boot you.

I'm sure there's plenty of content before that, I did everything back in 2017 that content still likely exists and has to be gone through over months.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pixaal posted:

I got back into this for a week or so then fell back off. It said my save was cloud loaded from 2017. I can't believe it had been 4 loving years.

Still a good game but it's way more active than I was really looking for once you start having challenges.

I wanted a game I could basically spam click 1-2 days after work when I'm in depression mode and only able to watch reruns after work and low effort games. Egg Inc wants you looking at it every day or you fail the challenge because other players will boot you.

I'm sure there's plenty of content before that, I did everything back in 2017 that content still likely exists and has to be gone through over months.

I played Egg Inc for a long while because it was a decent way to waste 15 minutes a day. But then challenges came and it became 25 minutes. But only because I had too many eggs and I could carry most challenges myself. Then they started messing with things more to make it take more time than that and added tiers of challenges, and people were able to be obnoxious about booting others, and it hit that multi-player sort of mode where it was not fun anymore and just the same old gamer crap. The worst was having to buy boosts, but then wait X time before you could use them depending on Y boost you want to use. Maybe some of it's changed, but the multiplayer challenges went from this is cool, to this is a drag over about six months. Hopefully they found some balance for it, but who knows.

The actual base game is plenty of fun though, and I'd recommend it for people who want a nice little game to play for a few minutes on your phone. Doesn't really require active play, but they added piggy bank caps for golden eggs which wasn't great. But you don't need to buy them, and you get quite a few playing normally shooting down drones so you can buy all the gold egg upgrades.

I'd expect if I opened it my Enlightenment Egg run to cap would still be there, stuck 30 hours from the last time I opened the app. So only 45 more days to go, but that was too boring to bother doing.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

play it until it stops being fun, how most idle games go

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Bitburner is real loving fun.

I wish there was a way to read the API but only filtered by what point in the story you were at to avoid spoilers though.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

everyone sings the praises of bitburner but making you write actual code is a huge turnoff

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Aurora posted:

everyone sings the praises of bitburner but making you write actual code is a huge turnoff

:emptyquote:

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Aurora posted:

:emptyquote:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
it's a game for computer touchers who are happy about being computer touchers

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Been tinkering about with Machinery a bit, which is pretty new(?) and so far enjoyable. Starts out simple but there's plenty of content hidden away after the resets. Has a very well made UI.

E: There's a dev version with a bunch of good changes already out to test here

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 17, 2021

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Aurora posted:

Pretend you're a real computer toucher and steal copy code off the internet

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
does it at least have autoformat

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Aurora posted:

The last time I did any programming was a C++ class in high school almost 20 years ago and I'm pretty much completely lost at what I'm supposed to be doing, even following the tutorials.

It also didn't help that the initial tutorial script straight up tells you it's garbage, you shouldn't use it, and should learn "NS2" or something.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The initial script is, indeed, garbage. A big part of bitburner is coding scripts to automate everything and is really where the main fun is.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Aerox posted:

The last time I did any programming was a C++ class in high school almost 20 years ago and I'm pretty much completely lost at what I'm supposed to be doing, even following the tutorials.

It also didn't help that the initial tutorial script straight up tells you it's garbage, you shouldn't use it, and should learn "NS2" or something.

"NS2" is still javascript but with more stuff. If you understood how to write a thing in NS1, you do the same thing except:
  • Where your function lives has changed. Everything you did before now goes inside that main method.
  • You prepend the 'ns' object (which is passed to your function) to all the bitburner universe functions.
  • You say await at the beginning of a handful of a couple of those bitburner functions. There's a list. And the game usually yells at you and tells you when you forgot.

In exchange, basically all your scripts execute instantly except where there's a game-based timer (e.g. hack, grow, weaken).

If NS2 still seems daunting, feel free to stick with the .script files until you're more comfortable.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

none of what you posted means anything

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Bedurndurn posted:

"NS2" is still javascript but with more stuff. If you understood how to write a thing in NS1, you do the same thing except:
  • Where your function lives has changed. Everything you did before now goes inside that main method.
  • You prepend the 'ns' object (which is passed to your function) to all the bitburner universe functions.
  • You say await at the beginning of a handful of a couple of those bitburner functions. There's a list. And the game usually yells at you and tells you when you forgot.

In exchange, basically all your scripts execute instantly except where there's a game-based timer (e.g. hack, grow, weaken).

If NS2 still seems daunting, feel free to stick with the .script files until you're more comfortable.

I appreciate that but I don't know what NS1 is either :)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Bitburner reminds me too much of my actual job and that annihilates any desire to play it. A real example of a game designed for a very specific type of person (and I am not that person).

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Yeah why don't you just code and make something at that point, instead of simulating coding and not making anything

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I wish it somehow taught me how to code instead of requiring me to learn how to code.
I dabbled half an hour and wished I was playing uplink instead

Oenis fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 17, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Honestly, if you want a hacking/coding game the Hacker Evolution series was pretty okay. https://store.steampowered.com/app/70100/Hacker_Evolution/ It's older, but it's full of puzzles and you don't need to actually learn java scripting to be able to understand or play the game. I would think this is where Bitburner gets some of its inspiration (along with CP2020/2077). It's too bad they took actual coding stuff and put it into a cyberpunk game where the basic mechanic is not actually needing to know how to code, but know when to use the programs you already have to best solve the maze and not get flatlined.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Oenis posted:

I wish it somehow taught me how to code instead of requiring me to learn how to code.
I dabbled half an hour and wished I was playing uplink instead

Loving that the top "guide" for the game is the same trash. Telling you "to optimize your code, you should make it do x". My dude, if I knew how the gently caress to do x, I probably would already know how to optimize my code without a guide.

I'm having fun with it now, but holy hell that hurdle of nothing explaining how to do things is garbage. Fortunately the Discord server for it isn't the same degree of gatekeeping and people are helpful.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I do know how to code but I didn't get anywhere with Bitburner because I was afraid I couldn't resist the temptation to just copy paste other people's scripts together so it was :airquote: optimal :airquote:

which sounds like a personal problem, I know

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

SettingSun posted:

Bitburner reminds me too much of my actual job and that annihilates any desire to play it. A real example of a game designed for a very specific type of person (and I am not that person).

It does seem alright (coding is fun!) but yeah maybe on a long holiday or something rather than something you play in addition to your job.
It's the equivalent of a farmer playing Farming Simulator after work

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Jhet posted:

Honestly, if you want a hacking/coding game the Hacker Evolution series was pretty okay. https://store.steampowered.com/app/70100/Hacker_Evolution/ It's older, but it's full of puzzles and you don't need to actually learn java scripting to be able to understand or play the game. I would think this is where Bitburner gets some of its inspiration (along with CP2020/2077). It's too bad they took actual coding stuff and put it into a cyberpunk game where the basic mechanic is not actually needing to know how to code, but know when to use the programs you already have to best solve the maze and not get flatlined.

If you really want a hacking game, try Uplink. It's the preferred software of Fast-Talking Computer Hackers that just have to break through the encryption shield before uploading a nano-virus.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1510/Uplink/

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Sivart13 posted:

I do know how to code but I didn't get anywhere with Bitburner because I was afraid I couldn't resist the temptation to just copy paste other people's scripts together
I see you've used stack overflow before

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If you really want a hacking game, try Uplink. It's the preferred software of Fast-Talking Computer Hackers that just have to break through the encryption shield before uploading a nano-virus.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1510/Uplink/

I didn't even realize that game existed still, and it does look like you need to maybe mod it to get it to run on modern systems. But if you're truly elite, then something something choom. None of these games are really incrementally, but it's tangentially close enough.

Rynoto posted:

Been tinkering about with Machinery a bit, which is pretty new(?) and so far enjoyable. Starts out simple but there's plenty of content hidden away after the resets. Has a very well made UI.

E: There's a dev version with a bunch of good changes already out to test here

I'm enjoying that Machinery game okay today. Simple enough start, but doesn't look overly complicated.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

GrossMurpel posted:

It does seem alright (coding is fun!)

Hard pass

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
am a professional computer toucher I bounced off immediately

folks who do that 40+ hours and then go home and work on their open source GitHub repo might as well have the innsmouth look to me

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I'm a professional computer toucher but I kind of dig it.

I dunno man, it's just the fun part of coding but not the unfun parts of it. There's no customer stories, no fighting with requirements or poo poo you don't own. Reasonably simple, small list of controls and a concrete goal. I'm also not one of those 'go home and code all night' guys either, it's just kind of nice to gently caress around with.

It absolutely would be a great game to get people up to speed on JS but instead it's just like 'hope you ALREADY KNOW this wonky rear end language'. I bounced off it a few years ago and now I'm at a point where I know just enough js to be dangerous.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Jhet posted:

I didn't even realize that game existed still, and it does look like you need to maybe mod it to get it to run on modern systems. But if you're truly elite, then something something choom. None of these games are really incrementally, but it's tangentially close enough.

I'm enjoying that Machinery game okay today. Simple enough start, but doesn't look overly complicated.

Uplink works absolutely fine on my Win10 machine. Fun game but it does get a bit samey towards the end and a bit easy once you figure out you can just click as many redirection nodes as you feel like

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

a mission to move the contents of a bank account to another one? cool, job done. now what was that IP again so that i can make my close associate Mr Snrub very wealthy

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

The way I have been playing bitburner is to just work at the fast food place and make money that way while I procrastinate not doing any of the JS tutorials it recommended.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

On the general tech-theme, does anyone know of/remember the incremental where you're an ai trying to spread out/survive? I cannot remember the name, and I'm not having much luck finding it again. Pretty sure it was a flash game, considering how long it's been since I played it.
You start out getting access to the internet and start bottnetting toasters, and end up mass-manufacturing underwater city-sized serverfarms to avoid getting nuked by humanity.
(e: though it's a pre-incremental-incremental game, so I think it was something you could complete in a single sitting.)

SubNat fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 18, 2021

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
^^ Endgame:Singularity is what you are thinking of.

Anyone have suggestions for what is the best flash player emulator for undefeated spider? I recently remembered I had saved the .swf file for the game, but I want to make sure the game will actually save properly before I put too much time into it. I tried using the web demo for Ruffle, which works great, but I don't know where it saves its cookies.

Also, I forgot how fun the game is! It has a very satisfying ramp up from slowly attacking to flooding the screen with dozens of attacks a second.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

edgeman83 posted:

Anyone have suggestions for what is the best flash player emulator for undefeated spider?

Do you specifically need an emulator? If you have a .swf file you can just use the standalone flash player https://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/debug_downloads.html and play it locally without issue, unless we're talking playing it on android or something.

e: ^^ Yes, that sounds very correct and the kind of extremely generic title that makes it just vanish.
e2: what? ' Download 1.00, released 07-04-2020 ' Goddamn, it started getting updates again after a decade idle, that's impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
How important/useful are the challenges in sadistic NGU?

I'm at the point where I can idle the first level of the final titan (amalgamation or whatever it's called).

I got the troll challenge that got me better mcguffins but since then I've not touched the others.

The only thing that stands out is the extra accessory slot for finishing the troll challenge but even then would it really add much to where I am?

Every little helps I suppose, but my current aims were to get the basic final titan gear, complete all wishes and hacks (maybe hacks first as my hack hack only has 300 levels until it hits the cap) and then move onto other things.