Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Insurrectum posted:

We got a roomba and it's useless because:

1) The house has a step-down on the main floor
2) High pile rug in living room acts as a wall, unless the roomba somehow gets on it, which it then thinks is a cliff and gets stuck
3) Wife has seasonal decorations scattered around the floor in places, which the roomba knocks over (need to buy a barrier)
4) Cat has water/food dish, which roomba slams into and makes a mess (need to buy another barrier)
5) Wife doesn't trust roomba to run when we aren't in the house and awake (low WAF), so it's loud and annoying

You don't need to buy barriers. I don't have a Roomba but a Roborock and within the app I can set invisible walls/barriers that the little guy avoids. Also, mine doesn't slam into my dogs food/water dish because it sees something there and goes around it using its fancy radar or whatever, it just doesn't randomly slam into things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I got two vintage chairs I really love from the sale section of chairish.com.

https://www.chairish.com/collection/markdowns

e: drat, I want this chair, but we have enough chairs. https://www.chairish.com/product/792598/tufted-velvet-bucket-chair

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 17, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Where does a lovesac sectional fit in the matrix? Is it a blend of high price low quality? Because that's what we're wanting to replace with a lovesac.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Where does a lovesac sectional fit in the matrix? Is it a blend of high price low quality? Because that's what we're wanting to replace with a lovesac.

I have a lovesac sactional and I loving love it, especially with kids.

You should definitely sit on one, but I find it comfy as hell, and the fact that it’s machine washable, adjustable depending on company, and most importantly expandable if you find you want a bigger couch are all huge pluses.

If you’re into leather couches it won’t do it for you, but for fabric I don’t regret it at all. Mine has held up great the 4 years I’ve had it, and it’s survived an infant, a move, and very frequent rearranging to satisfy said infant.

I’m probably due for new covers cause they’re wearing a bit, but frankly I don’t actually need to replace em.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Doesn't all the non-fabric have a lifetime warranty as well?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I have a lovesac sactional and I loving love it, especially with kids.

You should definitely sit on one, but I find it comfy as hell, and the fact that it’s machine washable, adjustable depending on company, and most importantly expandable if you find you want a bigger couch are all huge pluses.

If you’re into leather couches it won’t do it for you, but for fabric I don’t regret it at all. Mine has held up great the 4 years I’ve had it, and it’s survived an infant, a move, and very frequent rearranging to satisfy said infant.

I’m probably due for new covers cause they’re wearing a bit, but frankly I don’t actually need to replace em.

Same.

We even turned it into a bed for my wife to recover on the first floor at home after kid #2. Got a mattress topper to smooth it out, but worked great. Seat cushions still have virtually all of their shape after 3.5 years, the back cushions should be moved around and fluffed. We've been really happy with it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Perfect. We hated our couch almost since we bought it and the kids have DESTROYED it. We kept delaying but that's what we are thinking about getting now that the kids are technically less destructive. Like by a hair.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

H110Hawk posted:

Perfect. We hated our couch almost since we bought it and the kids have DESTROYED it. We kept delaying but that's what we are thinking about getting now that the kids are technically less destructive. Like by a hair.

There are three things I love:

1. My wife
2. Our leather Hancock and Moore chesterfield couch
3. Our dog

Nervously looks at due date on calendar.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I have a Pottery Barn "Seabury" couch and it's the most comfortable sofa I've ever sat on and the fabric is apparently magic because it repels ANY of the cat's attempts to stain or scratch it.

It was expensive for Pottery Barn standards, though. The sales lady got to ding a bell in the store when we signed for it

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

There are three things I love:

1. My wife
2. Our leather Hancock and Moore chesterfield couch
3. Our dog

Nervously looks at due date on calendar.

Basically every bodily fluid will get on your couch once you have kids. Or at least the ones babies can expel from their bodies or from things in their hands. Over time there will be milk, pee, probably poop, spit up, throw up, water, various sauces/condiments, playdoh, dirt, sand, etc.

Basically look at the couch and consider if you should out it in storage or a baby-free room for 1-4 years. Don't pretend you will prevent it. Or go grandma and cover it in plastic.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

H110Hawk posted:

Basically every bodily fluid will get on your couch once you have kids. Or at least the ones babies can expel from their bodies or from things in their hands. Over time there will be milk, pee, probably poop, spit up, throw up, water, various sauces/condiments, playdoh, dirt, sand, etc.

Basically look at the couch and consider if you should out it in storage or a baby-free room for 1-4 years. Don't pretend you will prevent it. Or go grandma and cover it in plastic.

Couch is in our living room/doesn't really get sat on much outside of having people over.

:ohdear:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I mean it's LEATHER, right? Just wipe the diarrhea and chicken nugget sauce off at the end of the day

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

When you google that couch, it's tufted, which is :lol::lol: for kids enjoy cleaning smashed up dried banana out of those 749 crevasses

Leather is great for kids, we have a orangey-beige pottery barn/crate and barrel couch leather thing and it takes a beating on a daily basis, everything just wipes off, and if not i take the brillo pad to it, then oil later. It's leather. They used to make car clutches out of the stuff. Ours is flat though, there's very few places for crap to accumulate that can't just be wiped right off.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I mean it's LEATHER, right? Just wipe the diarrhea and chicken nugget sauce off at the end of the day

I am triggered so hard rn.

Manwich
Oct 3, 2002

Grrrrah
Here is a blog post on how bad one West Elm sofa was and the hoops the blogger had to go through to get a refund.

Part 1: https://www.theawl.com/2017/02/why-does-this-one-couch-from-west-elm-suck-so-much/
Part 2: https://www.theawl.com/2017/02/how-to-get-a-free-couch/

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Yeah I thought about putting some anecdotes about what I've heard regarding some of the retailers on the list but left it off for the time being. I've heard WE and RH have had their problems, well at least problems you would not expect at their price range.

As far as I can tell a lot of the mid-range stores (e.g. Room and Board) tend to source their furniture from makers in NC somewhere.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I have a "Jasper" sofa from Room and Board and it's AWFUL. In 18 months, the back cushions crumpled to nothing and are basically lumbar pillows now. The fabric is also prone to snags. My cat walked across the back of it and got physically stuck and pulled 3" loops out with each footstep

It's apparently their most popular and highest reviewed line but we can't stand it. It also seems built for people under 5'5

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I recommend people find a local furniture store that carries solid brands and talk to them and go over what you want, your budget, and things like that.

I bought a fair bit of my furniture from this place. https://www.ncfdirect.com/index.html They've got a good mix of brands across price ranges, and solid local customer service. I don't have Hancock and Moore or Hooker Furniture money, but I was able to find the right balance of price and quality I was looking for.

I know we're the internet generation, but as I've gotten older there's just some things I rather deal locally with. It keeps some of my dollars in the local economy, and when something goes wrong it's a lot easier to deal with a local company than an internet based one. I know it's scary to like actually go somewhere and deal with people in real life, but sometimes it's worth it.

For whatever it's worth, here's what I bought for "adult" furniture not from IKEA or Rooms To Go

Leather Sectional - Palliser. Canadian company, but the couch was manufactured in Mexico. Very happy with how it's holding up and the leather quality. I talked to the guy about what I wanted and the fact I had cats and he made sure we got a nice thick top grain leather thats held up super well to both kids and felines. It's a 7 piece sectional with seating for 6, and it was about 6K delivered.

Living Room and Dining Room - Flexsteel Home. Very nice quality, but I believe it was made in Vietnam if that matters to you. Very happy with the value (price:quality)of the furniture. Table, 8 chairs, buffet, media console, 2 end tables was about 5500 dollars delivered I think.

Bedroom Furniture - All of our bed frames were made by Daniel's Amish. Excellent quality and we're very happy with them. I forget how much they cost, but it was more reasonable than I thought it was going to be. We also have a couple nightstands and a dresser we bought at Costco made by Universal Broadmoore, which is made in Vietnam. A tip about buying furniture at Costco, they never seem to bring the same furniture style back, so if you want matching furniture you better buy it all at the same time. They change finishes like every year. We waited to buy another dresser thinking it would be back next year and nope... that didn't happen. If I had the money I'd have all Daniel's Amish wood furniture, but I only had so much to furnish the house with.

Residency Evil posted:

I am triggered so hard rn.

Man I can't wait for some of your posts after the kid is born. They don't get any cleaner either. My 11 year old can't seem to get popcorn in her mouth hole, and they both pretty much look homeless all the time. The homeless look is whats cool these days I guess. You better get a backup wardrobe of things you don't care about as well unless you want to try to clean baby spit up out of whatever fancy tie you have on. Just look at whatever you own right now, and ask yourself how angry you would be if it gets puke or poop on it. If the answer is very angry, just put that stuff away for a while. I seriously can't wait for RE dad posts.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Don’t forget estate sales. If you have any in your area they can be great. Go early if you’re after nice stuff or go late for deals on poo poo people just want gone.

Also elderly relatives, as ghoulish as that sounds. Quality furniture can, and should, be handed down and way too much of it ends up in dumps because no one knows what to do with grandma’s old dresser.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I have a "Jasper" sofa from Room and Board and it's AWFUL. In 18 months, the back cushions crumpled to nothing and are basically lumbar pillows now. The fabric is also prone to snags. My cat walked across the back of it and got physically stuck and pulled 3" loops out with each footstep

It's apparently their most popular and highest reviewed line but we can't stand it. It also seems built for people under 5'5

My wife and I have a distinction we make on furniture: "looking or living?"

Basically a ton of poo poo out there is made to look really nice but you should never, ever attempt to actually use it or it goes to poo poo. Say it's a couch: can it withstand someone flopping their rear end on it after a day of work? I'm not talking jumping up and down like a kid, just a good, adult, flop when you're burned out and ready to zone out with TV and phone scrolling. How about the fabric/stitching/etc? If you flop on it is it going to pop a seam?

In my limited experience a loving LOT of couches and chairs especially are really not designed for actual use.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

skipdogg posted:

Man I can't wait for some of your posts after the kid is born. They don't get any cleaner either. My 11 year old can't seem to get popcorn in her mouth hole, and they both pretty much look homeless all the time. The homeless look is whats cool these days I guess. You better get a backup wardrobe of things you don't care about as well unless you want to try to clean baby spit up out of whatever fancy tie you have on. Just look at whatever you own right now, and ask yourself how angry you would be if it gets puke or poop on it. If the answer is very angry, just put that stuff away for a while. I seriously can't wait for RE dad posts.

House, car, wardrobe, hobbies, you name it. I mean, the inline shutoffs in my kegerator were because I have cats, but it also prevents my four year old from putting five gallons of whiskey barrel aged imperial stout into the basement carpet.

Joke's on me, my wife isn't great about paying attention to if it's closed or not the carpet is already hosed. The kid has painted the backseat of the BMW in yogurt, so everyone gets a chance!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Just tell the au pair to keep the baby in the Children's Wing until it has basic cotillion skills

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Oh look at fancy pants BACK of the seats painted. As of yesterday now both front seats in the prius have either paint or melted crayon in them. My smug denial of the utility of leather seats is coming back to haunt me 6 years in.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

skipdogg posted:

My 11 year old can't seem to get popcorn in her mouth hole, and they both pretty much look homeless all the time.

This made me burst out laughing, thank you lmfao

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

skipdogg posted:

I recommend people find a local furniture store that carries solid brands and talk to them and go over what you want, your budget, and things like that.

I bought a fair bit of my furniture from this place. https://www.ncfdirect.com/index.html They've got a good mix of brands across price ranges, and solid local customer service. I don't have Hancock and Moore or Hooker Furniture money, but I was able to find the right balance of price and quality I was looking for.

I know we're the internet generation, but as I've gotten older there's just some things I rather deal locally with. It keeps some of my dollars in the local economy, and when something goes wrong it's a lot easier to deal with a local company than an internet based one. I know it's scary to like actually go somewhere and deal with people in real life, but sometimes it's worth it.

For whatever it's worth, here's what I bought for "adult" furniture not from IKEA or Rooms To Go

Leather Sectional - Palliser. Canadian company, but the couch was manufactured in Mexico. Very happy with how it's holding up and the leather quality. I talked to the guy about what I wanted and the fact I had cats and he made sure we got a nice thick top grain leather thats held up super well to both kids and felines. It's a 7 piece sectional with seating for 6, and it was about 6K delivered.

Living Room and Dining Room - Flexsteel Home. Very nice quality, but I believe it was made in Vietnam if that matters to you. Very happy with the value (price:quality)of the furniture. Table, 8 chairs, buffet, media console, 2 end tables was about 5500 dollars delivered I think.

Bedroom Furniture - All of our bed frames were made by Daniel's Amish. Excellent quality and we're very happy with them. I forget how much they cost, but it was more reasonable than I thought it was going to be. We also have a couple nightstands and a dresser we bought at Costco made by Universal Broadmoore, which is made in Vietnam. A tip about buying furniture at Costco, they never seem to bring the same furniture style back, so if you want matching furniture you better buy it all at the same time. They change finishes like every year. We waited to buy another dresser thinking it would be back next year and nope... that didn't happen. If I had the money I'd have all Daniel's Amish wood furniture, but I only had so much to furnish the house with.

I think you might be who recommended it, but I can actually speak to price on Daniel’s Amish.

I have a custom bed frame currently being built by them (cali king, platform, drawers on both sides, and a large fancy bookcase headboard), and it came out to $4000 with cross country delivery and assembly. The delivery was very expensive.

The hardest part with them was finding someone that would deliver it to me in NYC. I Had to order from a place in VA who offered long distance delivery, when there’s places in upstate New York that sell them.

Matching end tables were $800-1k a piece IIRC.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My wife and I had a Macy's mid century looking grey fabric sofa that looked similar to a crate and barrel offering but much less. We also bought a similar brown leather chair/ottoman.

The sofa was pilling up after a few years. By year 5 it looked awful. The cushions started flattening. By year 8 you could hear it creaking when you shifted weight around on it.

The brown leather (Milano?) chair, 8 years later still looks like new. And that's with a dog. It's very comfortable and easy to clean.

We recently bought an article timber sofa in tan leather and it's amazing.

We've only had it a few months but it's incredibly comfortable. Much more firm (but not uncomfortable) than most sofas which in my opinion means it likely won't turn to mush super quickly.

The thing that annoys me with most leather furniture is the cushions aren't removable which makes cleaning a bit annoying. This sofas are fully removable which is nice. You can even remove the inner stuffing (basically down pillows inside leather cases) and re-fluff/shape them. Plus you can vacuum and clean out the cracks and crevices by removing the cushions. It's much heavier than any sofa we've had before but it feels super solid.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The storage beds can be expensive but I think you’ll be very happy. I found my receipt. We got 2 of these in full size for the kids and one in King size for us. All cherry on cedar.

https://www.danielsamish.com/furniture/bedrooms/beds/daniels-amish-30-881330-883330-8803-manchester-queen-bed-w-low-footboard.php

We paid 2600 delivered. They’re the basic ones they sell but very happy with the quality. Lead time was 8 weeks back in mid 2018. I bet it’s 6 months now.

I met Daniel himself at the Bob Mills furniture here in San Antonio and I legit stood inside one of those storage drawers. They’re not kidding how strong they are.

Johnny Truant posted:

This made me burst out laughing, thank you lmfao

I wish there was a preteen/teen parenting thread because this poo poo is wild man. I swear it feels like I’m living in a sitcom and there’s hidden cameras all over my house. Ask the kids 20 times if they need anything at the store. Get home and unload groceries and one of them will go “next time you’re at the store can you get me” and I just wanna Homer Simpson choke them.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

skipdogg posted:

The storage beds can be expensive but I think you’ll be very happy. I found my receipt. We got 2 of these in full size for the kids and one in King size for us. All cherry on cedar.

https://www.danielsamish.com/furniture/bedrooms/beds/daniels-amish-30-881330-883330-8803-manchester-queen-bed-w-low-footboard.php

We paid 2600 delivered. They’re the basic ones they sell but very happy with the quality. Lead time was 8 weeks back in mid 2018. I bet it’s 6 months now.

I met Daniel himself at the Bob Mills furniture here in San Antonio and I legit stood inside one of those storage drawers. They’re not kidding how strong they are.

I wish there was a preteen/teen parenting thread because this poo poo is wild man. I swear it feels like I’m living in a sitcom and there’s hidden cameras all over my house. Ask the kids 20 times if they need anything at the store. Get home and unload groceries and one of them will go “next time you’re at the store can you get me” and I just wanna Homer Simpson choke them.

6 months + :stonklol:

timepenguin
Jul 1, 2006

Precisely.

We ordered furniture back in January this year and it took roughly 6 months. The bedroom set was Daniel’s Amish highland style, I think the bed was about 2k, the dresser slightly above that and each nightstand was about 800.

I know Hooker was mentioned and we ended up liking a dining set of theirs at the same time: table, chairs, and a curio cabinet - that took about 5 months.

We also ordered a couch and two chairs for our living groom back in August, I think the earliest those are coming is late Jan. We also recently ordered 2 lay z boys for our bonus room the other week and it looks like those will likely be Feb or later. I really dislike not having usable rooms…

Aside from furniture, what does everyone do with old wires in their house? Our bonus room from the prior owner(s) had speaker wire as well as some cat5 running to various parts of the room and I was able to pull out the ones that ran up into the attic but there are two others that go into a storage room and back into the wall area and won’t give. I don’t know where they lead as they made some changes to the room. We’ve also got some old phone jacks throughout the house that as we paint I’ve been removing, I mostly just patch over that though. So I’m tempted to just cut the speaker wires and patch up the hole…

timepenguin fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 18, 2021

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I think you might be who recommended it, but I can actually speak to price on Daniel’s Amish.

I have a custom bed frame currently being built by them (cali king, platform, drawers on both sides, and a large fancy bookcase headboard), and it came out to $4000 with cross country delivery and assembly. The delivery was very expensive.

The hardest part with them was finding someone that would deliver it to me in NYC. I Had to order from a place in VA who offered long distance delivery, when there’s places in upstate New York that sell them.

Matching end tables were $800-1k a piece IIRC.

I dig this style of bed, but part of the appeal for us was no need for end tables - that's what the book shelf headboard bit is for. Also, ngl, I can't imagine spending over ~$50 on an end table. I used to just have 2x1 ikea kallax-style shelves for those.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

We bought a couch at Crate and Barrel about 8 years ago and I loved it at first but grew to hate it pretty quickly for some reason, but luckily the lot mine was in had a fabric defect and they gave us 100% credit towards another one. I can't remember the style name and it's been discontinued anyway, but I loving love it and got a slipcovered one. I highly, highly recommend a slipcover if you get a fabric couch. We have cats that like to vomit or hairball right on the couch, and it's super easy to take off the slipcover and wash it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

pokie posted:

I dig this style of bed, but part of the appeal for us was no need for end tables - that's what the book shelf headboard bit is for. Also, ngl, I can't imagine spending over ~$50 on an end table. I used to just have 2x1 ikea kallax-style shelves for those.

think about it this way, you will see the end table every day, and if you really enjoy one that costs a bit more, maybe that's worth it to you? mine was 170 I think, nothing crazy but it really works with my design. But a lot about dgaf about that either.

btw fabric sofas, make sure you get at least 30K double rubs for durability

unrelated: anyone have advice on a HELOC vs. home equity loan? I don't want to borrow a lot, just like 15K. since it's one time I think home equity makes more sense

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 18, 2021

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Heloc is just easier (use only what you need) and generally the rates are the same. Also, it's still there in the future in case something else breaks and you need to draw against it. Ie: with a Heloc, you only pay when you use it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

timepenguin posted:

Aside from furniture, what does everyone do with old wires in their house? Our bonus room from the prior owner(s) had speaker wire as well as some cat5 running to various parts of the room and I was able to pull out the ones that ran up into the attic but there are two others that go into a storage room and back into the wall area and won’t give. I don’t know where they lead as they made some changes to the room. We’ve also got some old phone jacks throughout the house that as we paint I’ve been removing, I mostly just patch over that though. So I’m tempted to just cut the speaker wires and patch up the hole…

For low-voltage stuff, yeah, cut the wire, tape the ends, patch the hole. Consult the wiring thread if you're nervous. There's no reason to worry about unused speaker wire or cat5 in the walls.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

actionjackson posted:

think about it this way, you will see the end table every day, and if you really enjoy one that costs a bit more, maybe that's worth it to you? mine was 170 I think, nothing crazy but it really works with my design. But a lot about dgaf about that either.

I suppose that's a fair point if your budget is large enough. There is just like a 100 other things I would prioritize first.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

actionjackson posted:

unrelated: anyone have advice on a HELOC vs. home equity loan? I don't want to borrow a lot, just like 15K. since it's one time I think home equity makes more sense

We did a HELOC through our normal bank when we were remodeling our last house. Many times easier to just have a credit line to draw against versus a fixed loan that you're paying interest on immediately. We'd just use the online banking portal to "transfer" money from the heloc to our checking account as we needed it, and it was available instantly.

Reminds me that I need to call up and look at setting up another one, since we've got plans for a few things next spring.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Are home gutters an easy DIY? We had a heavy storm which gave us to chance to see how the house does in wet weather since it rarely rains here, and I found there's one section of roof that doesn't drain into a gutter:

It's a pretty short section, but like everything else we've started I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually a huge pain that's going to cause more headaches than it seems. I would also need to deal with the roof tiles in that section as well.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

PageMaster posted:

Are home gutters an easy DIY? We had a heavy storm which gave us to chance to see how the house does in wet weather since it rarely rains here, and I found there's one section of roof that doesn't drain into a gutter:

It's a pretty short section, but like everything else we've started I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually a huge pain that's going to cause more headaches than it seems. I would also need to deal with the roof tiles in that section as well.

How is water not just flowing under those tiles hanging over the edge form the ones behind them? They're sitting over the top of the bottom tiles on the roof proper, so if I'm seeing that pic right the water should be going right under them and god only knows where after that.

Like, I'm not a tile guy but from what little I understand you want to layer them in the same direction so water flows over the top, otherwise water flows under them which is bad news.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Not sure if there's another thread in GWS or something like that, but I'll try here -- my fridge is the original-to-the-house 1984 Sub-Zero that is still running. In fact, it runs entirely too well right now in the sense that it is eating shitloads of power because it won't stop running as I think the gasket is hosed (I don't get a little bit of suction when I shut and then try to re-open the door) and 30+ year old parts are non-existent. I think it may literally be costing me $150+/month alone in energy if I believe my Emporia power monitor, because there's nothing else in the kitchen that runs that often.

It has served well, I hate waste, but probably needs replacing. Also, the kitchen was remodeled and the cabinets were very much built around the refrigerator (like, maybe 0.25" of gap all around, if not less) and if Sub-Zero does anything well, they commit to the same form-factor and size for decades, so it should be 1:1.

Sub-Zeros are stupid expensive. Is there a common source / method of getting slightly used, or display models of "high-end" appliance brands? I've seen things like Wolf induction cooktops on eBay for nearly 80% off MSRP because they came out of a display. Warranty coverage is probably a thing, but seems like Sub-Zero's isn't anything fancy anymore.

Also, in the 80s, side-by-side was in vogue I guess. It's really narrow. I feel like over/under configuration is the obvious one, but every new place I've seen recently seems to do French doors as well. The original is a Sub-Zero 346, so I have all of 35" to work with width wise unless I knock out some cabinets.

I've also kinda of entertained going 100% fridge and putting a freezer elsewhere in the house, but that sounds awful in practice / kitchen workflow.

movax fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

How is water not just flowing under those tiles hanging over the edge form the ones behind them? They're sitting over the top of the bottom tiles on the roof proper, so if I'm seeing that pic right the water should be going right under them and god only knows where after that.

Like, I'm not a tile guy but from what little I understand you want to layer them in the same direction so water flows over the top, otherwise water flows under them which is bad news.

It basically looks like it just flows down the two arrows and into the back of the tiles then drips out from there. The two tiles basically just sit over the top corner of the fascia so the water runs into their backside then drips down. It looks like you can see staining on the fascia which from this over time. My best guess is if the two tiles weren't there the water would just shoot off the roof onto the sidewalk in front of our door.We rarely get rain here but still something I'm working to fix.