Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I think it was a case of someone at Atlus Japan insisting that "English speakers pronounce it like THIS" and mandating it to the English localization team even though it's not how most English or Japanese speakers would pronounce it.
:goonsay: dumb weeb tangent ahead
My own sort of theory is that because of how a lot of English words are pronounced, many English speakers put emphasis on the 2nd syllable of 3 syllable Japanese names and words, which don't have emphasis there in Japanese.
But on the other hand most English speakers don't put emphasis on the 2nd syllable of 4 syllable names like Sakamoto, and they pronounce it pretty similar to Japanese pronunciation.
Probably whoever it is in Atlus Japan knows that people put emphasis like that with 3 syllable names and mistakenly thinks people do it with 4-syllable names too, even though they actually don't. And they probably think they are really cool for knowing about this and won't listen to anyone who tries to tell them otherwise. And the end result is something which sounds unnatural to English speakers.

That's just my own idea but curious to hear from others.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
The English voice cast for Shin Megami Tensei V alternates between pronouncing "Shiva" as SHE-va and SHIV-uh. They also consistently pronounce "Shekinah" as the American name instead of Hebrew word (shuh-KYNE-uh instead of sheck-HE-na). So it's not just Japanese names that're wonky in Atlus games.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Reminds me of how Balthier pronounces Salikawood with a short i, but Fran pronounces it with a long i in FFXII. And Sun Jian still pronouncing Dong Zhou's given name with a long o sound in DW7 despite everyone else pronouncing it closer to the proper Chinese pronunciation.

Just depends on who's doing the voice directing that day I guess.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Twelve by Pies posted:

Reminds me of how Balthier pronounces Salikawood with a short i, but Fran pronounces it with a long i in FFXII.

Fran's accent is kinda all over the place, to be fair (not a complaint).

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"stilted and awkward" describes most of the game, honestly the extra content was by far the least bad, probably because they had time to properly write and translate it

Yeah I dunno, Persona 5 isn't exactly the best written game. It definitely gets by on style but I feel like it's the sort of game that gets worse with replays.

I've definitely taken a dimmer view on the modern persona games after having been able to play more JRPGs in a modern(or modern-ish) setting. I like that more than fantasy for the most part so I think I gave a lot of stuff a pass.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Atelier franchise of games had all the characters say At leer instead of uh·teh·lee·ay and it was at the direction of the Japanese director.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dehry posted:

The Atelier franchise of games had all the characters say At leer instead of uh·teh·lee·ay and it was at the direction of the Japanese director.

Is that an american pronunciation or something? I've never heard 'uh teh lee ay'.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Acerbatus posted:

Is that an american pronunciation or something? I've never heard 'uh teh lee ay'.

Not sure, but it sure is closer to the French pronunciation than "At leer"

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Yeah I dunno, Persona 5 isn't exactly the best written game. It definitely gets by on style but I feel like it's the sort of game that gets worse with replays.

I've definitely taken a dimmer view on the modern persona games after having been able to play more JRPGs in a modern(or modern-ish) setting. I like that more than fantasy for the most part so I think I gave a lot of stuff a pass.

Persona 5 isn't so much a well written game as a well constructed one. It has great art style - and it does what all too few RPGs actually manage in having a diverse cast in every game with around 16 significant characters in the base game (and more in the rereleases) and with every single significant character (a) being distinctive and (b) having their own character arc that takes place in ten steps, and starts with them representing their tarot suit and starting inverted and ending with it right way up. And then they have the brazenness to show how they are doing this by making every character's arcana explicit. This both allows a single author to keep 16 distinct characters in the air and a team of authors to keep things straight with each other much more easily because the structure is so solid. (P5/P5R of course messed up by not making the Phantom Thieves their own arcana the way SEES and the Seekers are - and the Showtimes in Royal were a good start but IMO don't quite go far enough to imply that at least some of them are now friends outside being Phantom Thieves - something missing from base P5, and it would help if they occasionally moved to each others' hangout spots).

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Acerbatus posted:

Since at-leer has one too few syllables there had to be a pronunciation with one too many to balance it out.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
That's all well and good except that none of this character development can actually be shown in the main plot because none of it can be relied on to have happened yet. It isn't a concept that can work really, which is why iirc originally slinks were only available with NPCs and girls in the party (so you could date them, which is a form of character development that is compelling but does not affect much otherwise)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It absolutely can work, you just don't overly link Social Links/Confidants to the characters' "major" plot arcs.

We keep having this conversation and the people against this never understand that people just want to hang out with their anime friends.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

It’s always funny reading discussions like these, because personally I find the story and characters in 5/Royal to be way way better than any of the other Persona games I’ve played.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

It’s always funny reading discussions like these, because personally I find the story and characters in 5/Royal to be way way better than any of the other Persona games I’ve played.

I can see that. I do think 4 and 5 are close, but they're definitely an upgrade over 3.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dawgstar posted:

I can see that. I do think 4 and 5 are close, but they're definitely an upgrade over 3.

See, I feel the overall story in 3 is better than 4 and 5's, but the social links in 4 and 5's are better than 3's.

Of course 3 is the only one where you can play as a girl and thus wins by default.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I played P4 before 3 and it really spoiled me on S Links to the point that it was hard to deal with 3's. Overall they're just pretty awful.

P4's Magician arcana is like "Hey hang out with Yosuke and help him deal with his feelings over the girl he had a crush on secretly hating him and being murdered!" Sure, that's cool, I like Yosuke. P3's is "Hey hang out with this loving weirdo who wants to bone his teacher and has tricked himself into thinking he's dating her!" No thanks.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Of course 3 is the only one where you can play as a girl and thus wins by default.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

That's all well and good except that none of this character development can actually be shown in the main plot because none of it can be relied on to have happened yet. It isn't a concept that can work really, which is why iirc originally slinks were only available with NPCs and girls in the party (so you could date them, which is a form of character development that is compelling but does not affect much otherwise)

Saying "they haven't done it" isn't at all the same thing as "it can't be done". You just need two sets of lines (or even line readings in some cases) per character for some of the main plot scenes and to decide which version to use based on how far the social link has progressed. It's not as if any of the big bads are going to change their actions.

And it's easy to go forwards in the Persona saga and hard to go back. I mean I find P5R's Mementos with its vehicular homicide spree more fun than the equally procedurally generated dungeons in P4G and baton passes + disaster shadows make the combat much more interesting. The only real advantage P4G has in the dungeon crawling parts is that the bosses are the dark sides of your friends so far more interesting than those scumbags over there like Kaneshiro or Okumura. But going back to P3 not only are the social links frequently bad to the point of making Ohya look good but you also feel like an enabler for the bad ones (both the teacher-crush and the gourmet king are particularly bad)

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I played P4G and generally hated everyone and thought it was extremely Anime in a not fun, very tropey way.

That said my only point of reference outside of this is P5 which I played once years before so I can barely remember it (tho iirc it is basically also Dumb As Hell but at least it is aesthetically cooler).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
https://mobile.twitter.com/AnimeNewsNet/status/1471914353850990601

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fair tbh.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arist posted:

It absolutely can work, you just don't overly link Social Links/Confidants to the characters' "major" plot arcs.

We keep having this conversation and the people against this never understand that people just want to hang out with their anime friends.

The obvious solution to me seems to be time gates. You can even say what they are explicitly, just say it's magic velvet room power that lets you intuit you'll be able to develop ranks 3-5 from June to September.

Then have secondary hangouts with no gameplay slink benefits that are just loving around catching fish or whatever, like Kawakami and Ryuji when you first go to the pond.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

The only Persona game that has a story/characters i'd be willing to call good without qualifiers would be 2, frankly.

There's stuff I like about 3 and even 4/5 but if I was showing them to a normal friend it'd be like "oh yeah there is the swimsuit scenes, and the dating the middle schooler and..."

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

See, I feel the overall story in 3 is better than 4 and 5's, but the social links in 4 and 5's are better than 3's.

It's generally a mix but P3P's female SL's are usually solid and on par with the good stuff in 4. Junpei/Shinjiro are good, Akihiko's alright, Koromaru is pure fluff, and the less we talk about Saori and Romance Ken the better.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

There's stuff I like about 3 and even 4/5 but if I was showing them to a normal friend it'd be like "oh yeah there is the swimsuit scenes, and the dating the middle schooler and..."

Yeah I caught someone streaming P4G the other day and while watching it I was reminded "Oh yeah, that's right, Teddie is a super loving creep" as well as the weird horny teacher that replaces Kamoshida after his murder.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah I caught someone streaming P4G the other day and while watching it I was reminded "Oh yeah, that's right, Teddie is a super loving creep" as well as the weird horny teacher that replaces Kamoshida after his murder.

*Morooka, not Kamoshida. Wrong game.

Also I never saw Teddie as a creep. He acts like and is basically a small child who heard the word "scoring" for the first time and is using it because he understands vaguely it has some weird mystical power like anything relating to sex does. We were all kids once who heard a word and just repeated it because we had a primitive understanding that the word had power but the concept behind the word was totally beyond us.

Teddie's most profound relationships are with Yosuke and Nanako, the latter because she's a child just like him, or so was my interpretation.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Teddie comes of way creepier than the writers intended but he also makes Yosuke's life a living hell so it's impossible to say if he's bad or not.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

Teddie comes of way creepier than the writers intended but he also makes Yosuke's life a living hell so it's impossible to say if he's bad or not.

Let us compromise. He's a bad person who did a good thing.

Sam Riegel shrieking 'score a hot stud' into infinity.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Persona 5 Strikers gives me hope they can actually make a good game with no perviness. If not for the second bath scene it would be pretty much flawless in that regard.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's generally a mix but P3P's female SL's are usually solid and on par with the good stuff in 4. Junpei/Shinjiro are good, Akihiko's alright, Koromaru is pure fluff, and the less we talk about Saori and Romance Ken the better.

Aww, I liked Saori. She was a good character and I thought her route flowed really well and tied in with the games overall theme of moving forward after trauma and tragedy and the inevitability of change in an interesting and bittersweet way. It's just that right at the end (and I mean the VERY end, like the last few loving scenes) it got really, REALLY dark and seemed to imply that Saori was sexually abused by her uncle, her uncle committed suicide, and her parents blame her for all of it. Like, what the gently caress game?! That's a Hell of a loving thing to throw in at the last minute with no time left to unpack it! I wasn't even sure if that was what they were implying, but I can't imagine what the Hell else they could have been trying to imply.

Then again, once the initial shock wore off, I actually started to like the idea of Saori's story being one of a sexual abuse survivor in recovery where the abuse is significantly less important than the journey she goes through healing from it as she learns to live again. We don't find out about what caused her trauma (and even then only hints and small pieces) until right at the very end after she's completed her emotional arc and already become the MC's friend because that's not what really matters, what matters is her as a person not the things that have been done to her.

Edit:

You know who else I liked? Rio. A social link about realizing Kenji isn't worth dating was way better than a social link with Kenji.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 19, 2021

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

gently caress, quoted when I meant to edit.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 19, 2021

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Also I never saw Teddie as a creep. He acts like and is basically a small child who heard the word "scoring" for the first time and is using it because he understands vaguely it has some weird mystical power like anything relating to sex does. We were all kids once who heard a word and just repeated it because we had a primitive understanding that the word had power but the concept behind the word was totally beyond us.

And he's repeatedly asked to knock it off by Yukiko and doesn't. And then starts messing round with Rise's bikini. It might have started as childlike, but that only goes so far.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I feel like Teddie is a land of contrasts, I really enjoy his interactions with Yu and Yosukue and sometimes with the female part of the cast, but a lot of the time it felt like :yikes:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

At the very least Teddie doesn't prevent you from going out and doing S Links at night so I still feel he's probably the better of the "cute mascots who are weird perverts" characters.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Edit:

You know who else I liked? Rio. A social link about realizing Kenji isn't worth dating was way better than a social link with Kenji.

Yeah Rio's actually decent and better than the male version. You also get a little cameo by Yukiko.

Honestly the only link that might be worse on the female side is Ken, and the link is actually pretty decent if you ignore the romance option exists. It's just a kid who's grown up too quickly and at the same time still a kid trying to grow up. Like him having a crush on FeMC is fine! Just... don't have the option to reciprocate it. It's the same with Maiko!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Twelve by Pies posted:

At the very least Teddie doesn't prevent you from going out and doing S Links at night so I still feel he's probably the better of the "cute mascots who are weird perverts" characters.

Just play Royal and you can ignore Fedora Cat's draconian sleep demands.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

That's mostly a P5 rather than P5R thing; Morgana does it only about half a dozen times over the whole of P5R. As opposed to about half a dozen times per month in P5.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Oh yeah today's going to be an eventful day for you isn't it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees