Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Got my Pocket today, have spent all afternoon playing Pokémon Fool’s Gold. Feeling like I’m 12 again, it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Beard Yawn posted:

Got my Pocket today, have spent all afternoon playing Pokémon Fool’s Gold. Feeling like I’m 12 again, it rules.

Gah, I hope I eventually get one haha.

I tried desperately to get one when it first went up for order, but the site crashed on me and then sold out, all within like 30 minutes as far as I recall.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Beard Yawn posted:

#1 send it to me.
#2 is it everything it is made out to be?

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

can you play sonic mania on any 3rd party handhelds?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Marzzle posted:

Closest you can get right now are the Sonic 1/2/CD ports from a few years back on some of them as far as I know. Not counting the x86 handhelds.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

drat that sucks but I guess it drives home the fact that no matter how it looks, sonic mania is a modern game with the same trappings

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

In theory, you could Remote Play it from a PS5/PS4 to a mobile handheld running Android.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

I actually have it on switch alredy :sweatdrop:

I just think it'd be fun to have it on a kajigger with all the other platformers I like

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I've got an older GPD XD, still running on KitKat with Legacy Rom. Any upgrade options out there in the form of a newer rom image that I might have missed?
This device has been a very capable workhorse over the last couple of years even with an outdated rom and OS, and I use it literally daily, but I'd love to be able to add newer, more recent apps to the Android system... I can't even update Retroarch at this point.

(also thanks to those posting their various hardware reviews, whenever I end up buying a new device, this thread has been a plethora of good info to take into consideration)

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
There's someone on Patreon called Black-Seraph who does images for a few systems and they have a beta of AOSP 9.0 for the base XD. I don't know if it's any good as I haven't tried it and as far as I can tell you need to sub to the Patreon for the files, but if you're OK with a bit of tinkering it might be worth a shot and subbing for a month. They're also doing LineageOS builds for the Powkiddy X18s which is as close as you're going to get to a successor device right now.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

uiruki posted:

There's someone on Patreon called Black-Seraph who does images for a few systems and they have a beta of AOSP 9.0 for the base XD. I don't know if it's any good as I haven't tried it and as far as I can tell you need to sub to the Patreon for the files, but if you're OK with a bit of tinkering it might be worth a shot and subbing for a month. They're also doing LineageOS builds for the Powkiddy X18s which is as close as you're going to get to a successor device right now.

You've at least pointed me in the right direction. Cheers!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Marzzle posted:

It's on the Nintendo switch, and you can still find hackable ones for cheaper than some of the new batch of android consoles coming out if you want to make that your emulation handheld

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

otter posted:

Got my Pocket in yesterday, only had a little time to play with it so far, but: it's pretty loving cool. The screen is gorgeous. I tried Tetris for GB, Mario Tennis for GBC, and WarioWare for GBA, and they all look phenomenal and play just like they should. The build quality seems excellent, the buttons and d-pad all feel good, and wake/suspend works pretty well. (It's not as quick to sleep/wake as an iPhone or Switch, more like a couple of seconds, but I'll take it.) A GBA-style landscape layout might've been more ergonomic, but I had a GBC and a GBA SP back in the day, so the portrait layout triggers the correct nostalgic responses in my broken brain. The software clearly needs a bit of fleshing out - it's currently limited to just one save state globally, not even per game, which is annoying - but the basic functionality works well and the company seems to have a good track record of software support.

Even as it is, cartridge and save-state limitations and all, I'm really happy with it, and satisfied with the purchase. If they polish up the OS a little more, and the jailbreak comes through like we hope and lets us load it up with ROMs, it'll turn into maybe the best $200 I ever spent on silly videogame bullshit.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Blotto_Otter posted:

it's currently limited to just one save state globally, not even per game, which is annoying

This is pretty funny/disappointing considering even the PSP Go had this feature, per game. Then again, most big portables didn't even have this (Vita, Switch) and it was a pretty loving sweet feature. I hope they figure out per-game save states soon. Also glad we're rediscovering PSP lostech.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

otter posted:

Yeah it's been pretty much exactly what I hoped. My only small bummer with the device is that using an Everdrive I can't use sleep mode to suspend my game, but that's no fault of the Pocket's. Otherwise, all of the display modes are incredible, the performance is perfect, and I couldn't have asked for a better Christmas gift.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I’ve seen some talk in recent pages about emulation on N3DS and N2DSXL and I just wanted to chime in. Apparently there’s been some good progress made on the PSX core in retroarch over the last year and there’s a bunch of playable games. I’m currently about 10 hours into a modded FInal Fantasy Tactics run and am having a good time. Here’s a Reddit thread with people posting games they’ve tested if this interests you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/jvkotb/full_speed_psx_finally_here_on_new_3ds_new_2ds_xl

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKKYrbfQA9Y

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwj52MuU1Eo

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is the Brando voice a bit that guy does?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Analogue tweeted out that fulfillment group updates are going on on Monday. "Almost all" orders from the 14th are groups A and B.

https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1471949537774342146?t=CWkDfeJo77fkABzHb98l5Q&s=19.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Analogue tweeted out that fulfillment group updates are going on on Monday. "Almost all" orders from the 14th are groups A and B.

https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1471949537774342146?t=CWkDfeJo77fkABzHb98l5Q&s=19.

didn't see that one coming.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

otter posted:

didn't see that one coming.

I'm assuming that a preorder made first thing in the morning on 12/16 (east coast time) will be in group C :saddowns:

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

we shall see on Monday.
I am super curious which numbers are Q1 and which are Q4 2022.
I am super eager to play on it but I also just bought 2 more gameboy colors this last week. (gotta catch em all)

edit: my order is probably the first one of group c.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Anybody try one of these out?

POWKIDDY A30 Handheld Game Console 2.8 Inch IPS HD Screen 1200mA 16GB Built -In 5000 Games Supports Adding ROM Children's Gifts
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNwvXvi

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

flavor.flv posted:

Anybody try one of these out?

POWKIDDY A30 Handheld Game Console 2.8 Inch IPS HD Screen 1200mA 16GB Built -In 5000 Games Supports Adding ROM Children's Gifts
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNwvXvi
Looks like a TrimUI/A66 with a larger screen shoved into a faux-GBA shell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbewvuWGpB0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-zR-LV3UjQ

Apparently despite having the same internals as the TrimUI/A66 it doesn't work with the improved custom firmware for the TrimUI/A66 so it's worse overall

https://www.reddit.com/r/SBCGaming/comments/qziaam/powkiddy_a30_do_we_know_anything_about_it/

Overall, one of those modified GBAs with a Pi zero shoved inside would be significantly more powerful and have much more mature software

lol tart me up

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 26, 2021

welp
Nov 3, 2007

DEAR GOD
Hey goons. I’m about to pull the trigger on a 351MP but hoping for a gut check from the experts. My main priorities are NES > PS1 era 4:3 games with the nicest display and sharpest scaling possible and - if this even varies from model to model - lowest input lag. Am I sorted or should I grab something else?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve heard the only minor problem with the MP is the weight. I have a 351V which is the same screen and chipset in a plastic vertical shell and I love it.

If you want a horizontal format I’d say go for it. The screen is great and my dumb rear end doesn’t notice any input lag with 351Elec.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I just stumbled across this thread a couple of days ago, and now I hate you guys because I want to spend money.

I decided I'm looking into getting two devices: one for me and one for my 9 year old.

For me, I'm looking for something that can play up through PS1 (N64 and/or PSP would be a good bonus), doesn't require fiddling around in separate emulators, and is built nicely. The RG351MP seems like the best fit for me and is basically the high end of what I would want to spend for this device for myself.

For kiddo, he just needs NES, SNES, and all the Game Boys. Cheaper is better because I'm counting on him just destroying anything he gets within two years, so I don't want to put too much into it, but I don't want him complaining about slowdown as much as possible. Thinking maybe a v90, but a few more dollars may get something better for him.

What do you guys think?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
RG351MP or V. Personal preference on style then add 351Elec regardless, it’s easy. It handles some N64 and lots of PSP. If you want them 100% then I’d say RP2+ but the OS learning curve is steeper.

For the kiddo I say RG280V. Always wanted one. The V90 is still a good choice.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

After all the buzz surrounding the Pocket, I just ordered myself a RG351MP to rediscover some great games on a seemingly beautiful device. Thinking of running two memory cards. How much space is needed for the card with just the firmware?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I would definitely run two with how cheap cards are. My firmware card is a 16 and it’s had no issues.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

uncle blog posted:

After all the buzz surrounding the Pocket, I just ordered myself a RG351MP to rediscover some great games on a seemingly beautiful device. Thinking of running two memory cards. How much space is needed for the card with just the firmware?

I'm not sure about how the stock OS works, but when I setup my RG351MP with 351elec CFW I just had one big card and when I first did the setup it automatically made several partitions on the card for the OS files and left like 80% of the room free on a games partition. I ended up not even bothering with the second card.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 18, 2021

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
351MP is definitely solid but as a fellow dad I’m getting older and get eye strain after awhile staring at the small screen. I have the 351V with the same screen and it’s just been sitting in a drawer since I got the RGB10 Max. It’s bigger screen makes thing much more enjoyable than the better screen on the V/MP. Just some food for thought.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I do forget to mention that my 34 year old eyes are still totally cool with small screens.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Rolo posted:

I do forget to mention that my 34 year old eyes are still totally cool with small screens.

Famous last words.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Haha yes, mine were perfect until 36. Now I’ve got reading glasses.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So I’ve got 2 years to finally finish advance wars

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Actually GBA isn’t so bad since the games were designed to be played on a small portable screen and so everything is clear and readable. It’s when you start getting into the 3D era when things start to get rough since those were designed with bigger TVs in mind. Of course it’s still a problem with modern games since the first game I needed reading glasses for was BOTW on my Switch Lite. They made absolutely zero UI decisions to account for being played on a small screen and it shows.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I want a reliable thing that plays PSP games that isn't just a hacked Vita, which seems to be the actual best option at the moment. Some kind of hypothetical Vita clone in ten years feels like the ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

zachol posted:

I want a reliable thing that plays PSP games that isn't just a hacked Vita, which seems to be the actual best option at the moment. Some kind of hypothetical Vita clone in ten years feels like the ideal.

cause they're relatively expensive, or something you don't like about the vita, like mediocre non-sony emulation?