Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The neon borders thing looks cool, but lol at <1% rates. Also I'm not big on cards with a prominent coloured border that doesn't match the colour of the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

So, is the tech going to be real tech, or is it actually magic, presumably that of the leader of the anti-tradition movement?

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Qwertycoatl posted:

The neon borders thing looks cool, but lol at <1% rates. Also I'm not big on cards with a prominent coloured border that doesn't match the colour of the card.
The chance of any specific Rare occuring in a Collector's Booster is something like 4%, so it's more like if you do pull that exact Rare you have a 1/4 chance it's got the mad ink, which compares to (I believe) something like 1/3 normally a card being it's Alt Art version.
The issue here isn't the frequency that card shows up in the Neon Ink as much as the number of Rares it's on. And it just makes it sound horrifically miserly on their side as a result.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

So, is the tech going to be real tech, or is it actually magic, presumably that of the leader of the anti-tradition movement?

It's almost definitely going to be humans harvesting the kami for power, like the plot to a Miyazaki movie

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Silhouette posted:

It's almost definitely going to be humans harvesting the kami for power, like the plot to a Miyazaki movie

Oh. Yeah it is. I feel dumb for missing it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Man, Alchemy and what it's done to historic is just loving horrible and depressing.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

where’s the theme booster: basic lands tho??

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

mcmagic posted:

Man, Alchemy and what it's done to historic is just loving horrible and depressing.

I legit think Saffron Olive's meme Inquisitor Captain/Clone Tribal deck is dumb enough to shut out most fair decks from the format and it's a complete RNGfest whether it goes off or not.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
My mother is a fish.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

Well what's it done to historic? I guess our bitching that aspirant and goldspan being needlessly nerfed is completely beside the point of them adding dozens of ridiculous op new cards?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

MissMarple posted:

The chance of any specific Rare occuring in a Collector's Booster is something like 4%, so it's more like if you do pull that exact Rare you have a 1/4 chance it's got the mad ink, which compares to (I believe) something like 1/3 normally a card being it's Alt Art version.
The issue here isn't the frequency that card shows up in the Neon Ink as much as the number of Rares it's on. And it just makes it sound horrifically miserly on their side as a result.

Since we don't know which slots this thing will occupy we probably don't know stuff like if the card replaces the regular versions of this card or even if WOTC meant the 1% is per pack or per box. Their wording just says "<1% of boosters contain a neon ink card".. I'm guessing that's packs? but maybe boxes. Just looks like their vague on purpose. Don't really want to go to the stream to hear if they said one or the other since they can easily just correct what they said later anyways.

Assuming its 1% of collector booster packs that's like ~1 every 9-10 CB boxes.. and also of course this is assuming we're getting 12 packs per box. If they drop it to 10 packs that's 1/10 boxes.

Honestly not really sure why they tested this neon ink on this card. Do people care about Hidetsugu from his appearances in the past Kamigawa sets? Why not do this neon ink treatment on the main planeswalker of the set or even do it for the lands. People in the sports card world don't collect parallels if they don't care about the card.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Well what's it done to historic? I guess our bitching that aspirant and goldspan being needlessly nerfed is completely beside the point of them adding dozens of ridiculous op new cards?

It's fine, they can just nerf the broken alchemy cards and render worthless all the wildcards people spent to craft them. It's completely fine

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i went to figure out what this was... apparently they quietly delayed the release to noon PST today. no announcement. lmao.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Strong Sauce posted:

Since we don't know which slots this thing will occupy we probably don't know stuff like if the card replaces the regular versions of this card or even if WOTC meant the 1% is per pack or per box. Their wording just says "<1% of boosters contain a neon ink card".. I'm guessing that's packs? but maybe boxes. Just looks like their vague on purpose. Don't really want to go to the stream to hear if they said one or the other since they can easily just correct what they said later anyways.

Assuming its 1% of collector booster packs that's like ~1 every 9-10 CB boxes.. and also of course this is assuming we're getting 12 packs per box. If they drop it to 10 packs that's 1/10 boxes.

Honestly not really sure why they tested this neon ink on this card. Do people care about Hidetsugu from his appearances in the past Kamigawa sets? Why not do this neon ink treatment on the main planeswalker of the set or even do it for the lands. People in the sports card world don't collect parallels if they don't care about the card.
Agreed we don't know the exact odds, but it being on exactly one card hugely skews it. If it showed up in 10% of packs though we'd be drowning in... An ok Rare? It's a really weird way to do the treatment.

I cannot comprehend why this style would not be on sufficient Rates/Mythics to show up somewhat frequently. My only guess right now is that this printing is for some reason inordinately expensive and/or tricky and they are testing whether putting incredibly low incidences of expensive treatments on otherwise inconsequential cards makes Collectors go wild. Or they want to try even wilder treatments for Store Promos and are seeing the reaction to duplicating that into packs in some way.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

By this time next year, we'll all be complaining about the glut of neon border cards because once this is successful, wotc will jam 10x the amount into every future set

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Silhouette posted:

By this time next year, we'll all be complaining about the glut of neon border cards because once this is successful, wotc will jam 10x the amount into every future set

I do think they're going to keep doing similar things.

Also, look forward to the upcoming neon bordered secret lair sets

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Each color has a different foiling method too.

Its testing the waters for the different foilings (which maybe running lots of different foil types costs more than lot of 1-2 types?), but its also testing the response to ultra-super-secret rare cards. Masterpieces did this too, but they were mostly already high demand high power cards, this is making a super exclusive version of just some standard rare.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I just want non foil nu Kamigawa lands, was never a fan of how foiling has turned out. The retro frame foils that only foiled the border but left the art alone was super loving nice and didn't hurt my eyes.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

It's tech and there's a big wall between magic (which comes from the kami) and the technology.
The side story so far said that combining the two was the bad ending they were all scared of.
But the kami of the spark possessed the mask anyways and kaito planeswalked away

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It's very clearly a trial balloon to see what collectors think of parallel printings yea. They put it on a meh rare so as not to pollute the data with people needing it for tournament decks. They do a unique printing to actually make it 'special' for collectors otherwise you get that 47 version teferi no one cared about.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Jiro posted:

I just want non foil nu Kamigawa lands, was never a fan of how foiling has turned out. The retro frame foils that only foiled the border but left the art alone was super loving nice and didn't hurt my eyes.

Also you could blind your loving opponent if you caught the light properly if you had any foil white cards in the old frame

Pros call this move "mind games"

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I didn't read properly at first that the different neon ink treatments had different rates

that's some peak "of course they would"

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
https://www.facebook.com/groups/mtgartmarket/permalink/3210581435838720/

You can own the original rough color art for... whatever this is.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Looks cool but I’d rather have 1,000 foil basics.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

quote:

The numbered, collectible, and exclusive Kamigawa: Platinum Edition set comes in a black & neon pink Neon Dynasty-themed backpack, designed to store and showcase your entire Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty collection collection. And it’s packed with exclusive storage, art pieces, and artifacts celebrating the futuristic world of Kamigawa. We can’t show you everything yet because most of it is based on (as-yet-unreleased) card art but we have been approved to share this:

Not my thing really. I've been looking for a deck box but uhm The Platinum is $449 and The Silver is $179. Kinda hoped it was going to be one of those figurines/statutes of Kaito. There's a tanuki sidekick plush that looks nice maybe but again you have to buy the Platinum Edition.

They didn't show everything off because of spoilers but I can't think of what else would be in there that would make it worth that much.

Apparently they may have spoiled something (gameplay wise) for Kamigawa since the metal counters apparently say reach, vigilance and trample.. which implies keyword counters

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Man, this company is really going to push the "can you milk the whales too hard?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I started buying HAS stock, and it really changed my whole opinion on this subject.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

DangerDongs posted:

I started buying HAS stock, and it really changed my whole opinion on this subject.

I owned some but I sold it again. It's still a lovely stock even though they're milking MTG for all they can.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Is there any significance to the "or" in the first line of this card as opposed to it being an "and"?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ilmucche posted:

Is there any significance to the "or" in the first line of this card as opposed to it being an "and"?

"and" is ambiguous and could be read as requiring the creature to ETB at the beginning of your upkeep, instead of one OR the other.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I find it more ambiguous with the or, you get either ETB or each upkeep but not both.

Boolean magic

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

I find it more ambiguous with the or, you get either ETB or each upkeep but not both.

Boolean magic

Because it's a trigger it triggers every time the condition is met, and since it says or and not xor you shouldn't have any ambiguity.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Strong Sauce posted:

Not my thing really. I've been looking for a deck box but uhm The Platinum is $449 and The Silver is $179. Kinda hoped it was going to be one of those figurines/statutes of Kaito. There's a tanuki sidekick plush that looks nice maybe but again you have to buy the Platinum Edition.

They didn't show everything off because of spoilers but I can't think of what else would be in there that would make it worth that much.

Apparently they may have spoiled something (gameplay wise) for Kamigawa since the metal counters apparently say reach, vigilance and trample.. which implies keyword counters

I like that backpack but 500 dollars? They really don't know when to stop.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

Those counters are so nice

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Strong Sauce posted:

well this is certainly worth 500 american dollars

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Love that they couldn't even be assed to show all the things in the package or add more than a single photo of the items shown. Minimum effort and I'm sure they'll still sell out. Collectibles really are in a bubble.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
lol at the led playmat

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

Love that they couldn't even be assed to show all the things in the package or add more than a single photo of the items shown. Minimum effort and I'm sure they'll still sell out. Collectibles really are in a bubble.

If you read the text, it's to prevent spoilers. I imagine that there's going to be more pictures as the preview season ramps up.

That's why there's a discount right now for early fomo'ers.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

little munchkin posted:

lol at the led playmat

Honestly, that sounds rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

ilmucche posted:

unrelated, but if your opponent has bruvac out you can get more than one token, but only if they're different ones