Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

olylifter posted:

AITA (28F) for getting a competent employee (21F) fired for smoking cannabis

God forbid someone who works a stressful job decompress on weekends. God forbid, I say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

olylifter posted:

I am a nursery assistant at a private nursery, I have been working at said nursery for 13 years. Around September of 2020 a new employee who we will call 'any' was hired and started working in our preschool room. In a word she was amazing, she was consistent with her working days, rarely took days off and was very polite. She was also very good with the children and was very professional with her work.

Fast forward too late November/early December of this year. I installed ticktock and it has a feature where you can find peoples accounts through your contacts. Since me and Amy are coworkers, I have her number. Out of curiosity I have a look on her account and her most recent post is a video joking about her smoking cannabis. This obviously came as a shock too me, I would not have pinned her as someone who abused drugs. Either way i thought that it was wildly inappropriate that someone who works with children does drugs, so I saved the video and emailed it too my manager.

My thought process is that we have high paying parents putting their children in our care, with the expectation that they are in good hands. No parent would want someone who abuses drugs looking after their child. Too sum it up, Amy was fired shortly. Anyone who works in a nursery will understand that they are gossip hubs so obviously what had happened spread relatively fast. I have come into conflict with my coworkers. Their argument is that Amy was an excellent worker and her cannabis usage didn't interfere with her ability too work, and that I am an rear end-hole for reporting her. I am now being essentially bullied in my work place, I have had people call me a jobsworth and other unkind names. I think i did the right thing.

AITA?

tldr: I found out my coworker was smoking cannabis and had her fired.

gently caress this loving square. I hope she falls down some steps onto a rake.

I can't imagine being frozen out any harder among your 20s-early 30s peers then narcing someone out for smoking weed in their off time and getting them fired.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
kinda seems like people just really wanna brag about not having ranch dressing for salad and maple syrup for crepes? like of course you're not an rear end in a top hat for not having ranch dressing and oh wow you're so cultured.

aita for not having cable? aita for spending 6 hours crafting an artisanal sandwich spread but not having mayonnaise?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Okay, we're going to stop with this "Guess the Slur" game that some of you seem to love playing every few days. And no, putting it behind a spoiler bar doesn't mean you somehow didn't participate.

teen witch posted:

E: enough with guess the slur for now everyone, seriously

I think there's some educational value for non American posters to learn what are considered slurs that they genuine might not be aware of, and it might be hard to do a Google for some of the elliptical mentions.
Not to say that there isn't a bit of "oh boy, I can say it now" glee going on here, but I do think some context might missing sometimes.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I mean pretty much every doctor and nurse I know all has their medical card right now... So yeah she really should get bullied more

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

I think there's some educational value for non American posters to learn what are considered slurs that they genuine might not be aware of, and it might be hard to do a Google for some of the elliptical mentions.
Not to say that there isn't a bit of "oh boy, I can say it now" glee going on here, but I do think some context might missing sometimes.

Probating people for "oval office" caused no small amount of drama as the UK/Aussies were pointing out it has the same context in their culture as "bitch" in the US, so probing one and not the other was a wildly US-centric viewpoint and hypocritical as gently caress.

Then of course, there was the people getting probed for calling French people "frogs"

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Hellblazer187 posted:

YUP!

Edit: The principal is incredibly dumb, endorsing the religious discrimination committed by a temporary worker. Really could have saved his own rear end, but simply decided not to.

Subs generally get treated like expendable human scarecrows, so lol that the rare time a principal stands up for one it's over the most indefensible poo poo.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

its_my_birthday posted:

kinda seems like people just really wanna brag about not having ranch dressing for salad and maple syrup for crepes? like of course you're not an rear end in a top hat for not having ranch dressing and oh wow you're so cultured.

They had other bog standard salad dressings, just not ranch. Really hard to see that as a humble brag.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for buying a door to my son behind my husband's back?

quote:

For those who might have been confused; my(35f) husband (46M) believes that until he is 18, our son(M14) shouldn't conceal his room as he is under our care. This has been one of the things straining our relationship lately, as I think that a teen should have some freedom, maybe not completely out of our sight, but you know a door at least, but my husband keeps insisting on him having almost no freedom at all. Whenever I bring up the door thing, he just shuts me down with "this is what it'll take him to be a man" and "this is how I was raised"

So both my son's birthday and Christmas are coming up, and I decided that he should finally have a door to his room. So, I went behind my husband's back and bought a new door and hurried it to be installed while they were both away. When my son came from school he was incredibly delighted, but my husband didn't receive the news so well.

He told me that this is not the kind of decision that I should be making by myself and that I disrespected his authority, and now he is refusing to even sleep in the same bed as me. I've been wondering if this should have been a conversation rather then me disrespecting his wishes.

So am I the rear end in a top hat for going behind my husband's back to get a door for my kid?

AITA for letting my parents buy me a wedding ring if my husband doesn't?

quote:

My husband and I are coming up on our one year wedding anniversary. My parents know that I have always been a bit sad about not getting an engagement or wedding ring due to limited finances (my husband doesn't work or seem interested in changing that long term - sometimes he goes to a job for a day or 2 then says he doesn't like it and would rather stay home, and I don't want to spend money on a ring when we have only my income and don't even have an emergency fund).

My parents are aware I wish I had a wedding ring as a symbol of our union and marriage and life together and they asked me if maybe they could pay for my husband and I to get wedding rings in honor of our anniversary.

When I told my husband he said I am disrespecting him because it would be emasculating for me to wear a ring that he didn't buy and that it would make him look like he can't provide for his wife.

I haven't told my parents a decision yet, I don't want to upset my husband so I probably will decline but he's been angry at me over this for a week.

Is it really so messed up as he says for my parents to pay for my ring? It would still be a symbol of our wedding, no matter who pays for it.

quote:

I'm not ok with it but I love him so I have to accept him how he is. Though before we got married he seemed to have much more of a work ethic than he does now since he was proactively applying to jobs and now he barely does and just goes for 1 day so I didn't have the full picture of what married life would be like.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Piell posted:

My parents are aware I wish I had a wedding ring as a symbol of our union and marriage and life together

The current symbol is accurate; just follow through.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

quote:

When I told my husband he said I am disrespecting him because it would be emasculating for me to wear a ring that he didn't buy and that it would make him look like he can't provide for his wife.

but... but you don't provide for your wife. she provides for you. you are a gigantic pissbaby.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Lmao

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

olylifter posted:

No parent would want someone who abuses drugs looking after their child.
Yup. All parents believe that only Mormons, Salafists, and people with straight-edge tattoos should be allowed to work in childcare.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

kimbo305 posted:

This was in response to at least three people wasting no time in playing “Guess the Slur” after the OP of the little person story wasn’t specific. There was no cultural misunderstanding, give me a loving break.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This was in response to at least three people wasting no time in playing “Guess the Slur” after the OP of the little person story wasn’t specific. There was no cultural misunderstanding, give me a loving break.

I'm just asking if that's a ban on all such discussion or if people can ask if they really don't know.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Piell posted:

These are bad parents for enabling the lovely husband’s behavior. They should be sitting their daughter down and talking her out of her sinkhole of a marriage, not burning money on it.

Edit: I read through the comments and the situation is worse than it reads. She’s pregnant and thinks her dead weight husband will be a good SAHD. A guy who doesn’t know how to cook and cleans “sometimes.”

Dazerbeams fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 18, 2021

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Dazerbeams posted:

These are bad parents for enabling the lovely husband’s behavior. They should be sitting their daughter down and talking her out of her sinkhole of a marriage, not burning money on it.

Edit: I read through the comments and the situation is worse than it reads. She’s pregnant and thinks her dead weight husband will be a good SAHD. A guy who doesn’t know how to cook and cleans “sometimes.”

Being a stay at home parent was the hardest job I ever have done so lol at thinking this guy will pull even the barest amount of his weight

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
being a stay at home parent isnt hard if you enjoy it. and you can not like working but still be a good stay at home parent

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

its_my_birthday posted:

being a stay at home parent isnt hard if you enjoy it.

This is a bad opinion and you should feel bad for posting it

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
uh, im talking from experience lol.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

its_my_birthday posted:

uh, im talking from experience lol.

Me too homie. Shits hard as gently caress

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
being an adult is hard. it's not like careers are easy. way easier to spend a day with someone you love unconditionally.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
objectively, being the stay-at-home parent of a small child is a shitton of work, especially if you're also doing all the housework. it's rewarding work that's well worth it, but you're still going to find yourself collapsing exhausted into bed at 2 AM, only to have to get back up fifteen minutes later because your little bastard is crying again.

also, just because you enjoy something doesn't mean it isn't difficult.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
yall live in castles or something? housework takes like 90 minutes max if you keep up on it every day. and what the hell kind of babies never sleep. you sleep when they sleep. i got so much sleep on the couch throughout the day while my daughter was in her tree frog pose on me snoozing away

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

its_my_birthday posted:

being a stay at home parent isnt hard if you enjoy it. and you can not like working but still be a good stay at home parent

look I know it's your birthday but being a sahp is hard af even if it's enjoyable sometimes

I know I'm not the first person to make that joke but I can't help it. I'm so sorry

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
I mean I loved doing it and I credit doing it as soon one of the reasons I am so close to my kids but Jesus it is loving relentless.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

its_my_birthday posted:

yall live in castles or something? housework takes like 90 minutes max if you keep up on it every day. and what the hell kind of babies never sleep. you sleep when they sleep. i got so much sleep on the couch throughout the day while my daughter was in her tree frog pose on me snoozing away

I'm in the UK where 2 bed 1 bath is the norm and when I see american houses with like 6 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms I cannot imagine trying to clean all that on the regular

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

kimbo305 posted:

I'm just asking if that's a ban on all such discussion or if people can ask if they really don't know.

If it's a legitimate question (and not "Hey, what word do you think it was? This one? Or maybe this one?") then that's fine. Like plenty of people in the US still being unaware that Romani people actually exist, much less how much of the general lexicon comes from slurs used against them.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Piell posted:

The dad should start listening to the last verse of Cats in the Cradle a lot now because once his son's gone he's going to have to come to terms with the fact that he never sees/speaks with him ever. Even then he's still going to blame the kid and never realize that he's the author of his own misfortune

Unless he dies of cancer of the prick before then. That would be nice.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Piell posted:

Yeah, this is how you were raised, and it sure made you a REAL WINNER of a person.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Never heard the term jobsworth, going to remember that one

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
ticktock

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

its_my_birthday posted:

I think there's a non trivial amount of folk who are unable to rest/relax if they feel they're falling behind on housework, regardless of whether it matters or not.

For example, there's a panel in that famous mental load comic where a man is enjoying a movie next to his partner who's pretending to watch it, I assume through gritted teeth, while rehashing and rearranging her neverending backlog of tasks at the back of her mind.

It's meant to emphasise the mental project management load women are carrying in relationships, but it also misses the mark about self care and priorities.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

r/relationships: You're children, and I'm right.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Hughlander posted:

Oh hey stupid derails you say?

AITA Told my wife I’d rather be glued to my phone over being glued to her

“Sorry honey but double wide shitters are expensive”

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Piell posted:

Husband would be Lowtax if Something Awful didn't bring in the cheese.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mr. Lobe posted:

Never heard the term jobsworth, going to remember that one

It’s used in the UK a lot, the idea is that you’d ask someone to do just a little favour like let you come in even though you’ve forgotten your pass but they know you and they’d refuse saying “Sorry mate, it’s more than my jobs worth to do that…”

Someone who’s an absolute stickler for the rules but not necessarily what they’re meant to achieve.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for posting a video of my husband dancing?

not the rear end in a top hat, you rig up internet cameras in your loving house you reap the Stupid Whirlwind.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for calling out a sexist tradition at my work when everyone thought I was overreacting?

quote:

I work in an industry where it is really common or people to date or marry within the industry. We've had three couples get married within the past five years, and there is lots of relationship drama in general, which I find exhausting and to be honest, I wish people would just date outside work.

Some guy "Brett" started a tradition of getting a small cheap grocery store cake and encouraging (pressuring) the couple to smear it on each other. He claims this is because most of us can't attend the weddings due to work, and he says it is all in good fun. One thing I have noticed is the man is usually more receptive than the woman, and sometimes one of them says no and the other does it anyway, which really bothers me. Also Brett kind of creeps me out and I think he likes seeing it happen.

The department head is getting married in January and Brett brought in the cake. I actually didn't think he would do it, because he is a bit older (40s and others were in 20s) and in a higher position. He did and again the woman ended up covered in cake, and he had significantly less on him.

Honestly I was annoyed because of the sexism, and also because she almost bumped into me. I finally said it was such a dumb unprofessional thing to do at work and it is sexist, because the men always get way more into it and the woman gets messier, so it is just some old boys club poo poo and it needs to stop in 2021.

Brett told me to relax. The bride to be called me exhausting and asked if I was jealous. Everyone seemed to agree that I was being too woke, and a friend expressed in private that I should not have said that because I might have offended the department head who is very powerful, and Brett and the woman involved also have much more power than I do. Honestly I think we need to call out sexism and stupidity in this day and age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

do not abuse your position to smear your female employees in cake. cake smearing should be performed with the informed consent of both parties