Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Needing software to reset service reminders is peak shittiness. That and when they turn on earlier than the service guidelines say. My wife had one turn up on her RAV4 300 miles in that the manual read was for “customer check in” or something like that. Yes let’s get some rubes back into the dealership for some blinker fluid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kensei posted:

I went and got keys done already for cheap but where would you recommend one purchase this software and cable if so inclined, since my 01 is older and likely supported?

The Durametric is pretty much only from http://www.durametric.com/ , or a used one from someone on Rennlist, which occasionally pops up and isn't super discounted.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

The Durametric is pretty much only from http://www.durametric.com/ , or a used one from someone on Rennlist, which occasionally pops up and isn't super discounted.

And if you're in eastern PA/western NJ you can come use the community Durametric tool that lives in my barn (two of us bought it, many more have chipped in.....it's so long ago paid for at this point, just come use it and poo poo talk about porsches while you do)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So does the Pro code for security? Like keys?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

slidebite posted:

No, it won't do keys.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

I don't think so, at least not on the cayenne. Features vary by platform: http://www.durametric.com/modelfeaturematrixv6.aspx

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Residency Evil posted:

Ah, thanks. A long time ago I got a wifi OBD reader from a Kickstarter and was able to recently read and clear a code on my Boxster, so I am mostly covered. Looks like I don't need to waste more money on something else.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kensei posted:

Ah, thanks. A long time ago I got a wifi OBD reader from a Kickstarter and was able to recently read and clear a code on my Boxster, so I am mostly covered. Looks like I don't need to waste more money on something else.

Yup. The Durametric is mainly useful if you want to do things like clear the oil change light (on cars that support it), change out the seats for ones without airbags to eliminate the light (on cars that support it), adjust the suspension/bleed brakes (on cars that support it), etc. OBD readers are fine for reading/clearing codes.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Wife got me a driving experience thing that was this morning and the group before me got to see someone spin out a GT3 RS. Hope they didn’t gack a wheel or something since on the waiver that was $800 a wheel.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BigPaddy posted:

Wife got me a driving experience thing that was this morning and the group before me got to see someone spin out a GT3 RS. Hope they didn’t gack a wheel or something since on the waiver that was $800 a wheel.

Nice! What'd you drive?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Huracan and a Shelby GT500. Both are pretty brutal but at least I could sit upright in the mustang with a helmet on.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just picked up a Taycan loaner while our Macan is in for an airbag sensor recall. Base Taycan, nothing special. Yikes. :stare:

To be fair, it's my first time driving/being in an electric car, but I can't imagine what a faster Model 3/Taycan would be like. The instant power is pretty incredible.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Residency Evil posted:

Just picked up a Taycan loaner while our Macan is in for an airbag sensor recall. Base Taycan, nothing special. Yikes. :stare:

To be fair, it's my first time driving/being in an electric car, but I can't imagine what a faster Model 3/Taycan would be like. The instant power is pretty incredible.

Electric cars ruin you. I'm ruined and just want a stupid self-driving electric car.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, I rented a base Model 3 when I was out in Los Angeles earlier in the year and that car was so much fun in the canyons. Handled well and the acceleration out of corners was really great.

Drove my wife's CX5 home from the airport and it felt broken in comparison.

I'll be buying an EV Boxster.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
The oil pressure on my 996 is reading 4.75ish almost all the time when driving and 2.5 at warm idle. Is that too high? I'm running mobil 1 0w40. Also my trickle charger has been putting the battery just over 14V, is that a problem? Everything high!

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

willroc7 posted:

The oil pressure on my 996 is reading 4.75ish almost all the time when driving and 2.5 at warm idle. Is that too high? I'm running mobil 1 0w40. Also my trickle charger has been putting the battery just over 14V, is that a problem? Everything high!

That's exactly what my 993 reads fwiw

Trickle charger charging at 14v is fine; presumably it turns off when the battery gets full. In that full state the battery should be sitting at 13v or so

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

What I mean is the car is reading over 14V on the gauge after being on the trickle charger for the first 10-20 mins or so, then it settles back down to 14. It's a really cheap, dumb trickle charger.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

As long as it isn't crazy over 14, its fine.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Took the car out yesterday after a couple of weeks of not having the time and top down in December at sunset in the desert is pretty good. Need to use it more but not really feasible for the better half right now so 99% of the time I am in the truck.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

How stupid is it to try to do a burnout in my 996? I only ask because the rear tires are shot and I have replacements about to go on in the spring. I don't want to mess up the clutch/diff/etc though. Also I've never done one in one of my own cars...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

willroc7 posted:

How stupid is it to try to do a burnout in my 996? I only ask because the rear tires are shot and I have replacements about to go on in the spring. I don't want to mess up the clutch/diff/etc though. Also I've never done one in one of my own cars...

If it's in otherwise good condition it's not going to break anything. Especially without option 200 (limited slip), as you'll just be doing a peg-leg burnout.

If this is a car that is not regularly and repeatedly driven in anger with absolutely no driveline noise I'd be doing a very thorough inspection of the axles, joints and checking bolt tightness. That's really the weak spot. But if it's all in good shape it's gonna be fine.

Another quick check, in first of second if you let off the gas and slam it back on does it make noise? Any slip/lash in the driveline? If yes, no burnouts.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 20, 2021

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If your car can’t do a burn out why bother having it?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

It is more of a question on can it do burnouts more than once.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

A Porsche that burnouts twice as bright, lives twice as long.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Supposedly there is a 12v plug in the passenger footwell, but on my 2001 Boxster S I do not see it. Anyone know if it was not there on all models? I do have one in the dash.

fe: Looking to plug in a trickle charger.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kensei posted:

Supposedly there is a 12v plug in the passenger footwell, but on my 2001 Boxster S I do not see it. Anyone know if it was not there on all models? I do have one in the dash.

fe: Looking to plug in a trickle charger.

As far as I know they all have them. Should be up high on the left under the dash.

Some of them turn off 15-30 minutes after the ignition switches off, and I seem to recall that at least in certain years the behavior depended on whether you had the option code for the "smoking package".

I wouldn't suggest using it for a charger in any case. The Porsche chargers (just a rebranded CTEK so save yourself the money) have a "standard" connector that should come with both aligator clips and ring terminals so you can connect it directly to your battery terminals and route the cable somewhere easy/sensible to plug in the charger.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Motronic posted:

As far as I know they all have them. Should be up high on the left under the dash.

Some of them turn off 15-30 minutes after the ignition switches off, and I seem to recall that at least in certain years the behavior depended on whether you had the option code for the "smoking package".

I wouldn't suggest using it for a charger in any case. The Porsche chargers (just a rebranded CTEK so save yourself the money) have a "standard" connector that should come with both aligator clips and ring terminals so you can connect it directly to your battery terminals and route the cable somewhere easy/sensible to plug in the charger.

Thanks, I was going to order the CTEK along with the 12v adaptor but I will see how hard it is to just route the cables, I should be able to do that.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Are you talking about the emergency jump point for when you have a dead battery or a port specific for a trickle charger?

I know my 99 Boxster did not have the emergency battery connection near the fuse box so I had to remove some trim to get the cable and open it while later cars did have the emergency battery connection. My 2005 S has it.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
Having never sat in a 718 or Porsche in general, does the placement of the engine behind you contribute to the sound and sensations in cabin or is it mostly due to the characteristics of the boxer engine in general?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yes

I've never driven a Boxster, but in the 911 having the engine behind you both feels and sounds noticeably different

My M96 sounds great when it gets over 5K and the variocam starts to change it up.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Thom ZombieForm posted:

Having never sat in a 718 or Porsche in general, does the placement of the engine behind you contribute to the sound and sensations in cabin or is it mostly due to the characteristics of the boxer engine in general?

For sure. Caymans/Boxsters tend to be loud and a lot of the engine noise gets transmitted to the cabin.

Part of the joy of the Porsche ownership experience is thinking "gently caress what is that noise!? Was that there before? Is something broken? Do I need a new engine?!"

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

For sure. Caymans/Boxsters tend to be loud and a lot of the engine noise gets transmitted to the cabin.

Part of the joy of the Porsche ownership experience is thinking "gently caress what is that noise!? Was that there before? Is something broken? Do I need a new engine?!"

Just like a race car.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Residency Evil posted:

The direct injection engines especially if you come from something prone to lifter ticks and clacks. It sounds like it's about to grenade on a cold start.

Oh, and brakes screaming like they're on the wear tabs any day after it rains.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

One of my favorite memories was picking up a VERY drunk friend to get them home and they just started laughing and pointing over their shoulder when we got on the highway saying "that's hosed up, all the noise is coming from back there".

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Having the engine screaming in your ear when you nail always is fun.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

Residency Evil posted:

Or the first time a leaf gets sucked into your intake and starts rattling against the filter and the sound makes you think something terrible and valve related is happening.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rakekniven posted:

Or the first time a leaf gets sucked into your intake and starts rattling against the filter and the sound makes you think something terrible and valve related is happening.

:hmmyes:

I think that's a rite of passage.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I made a new discovery yesterday, after snow shenanigans hot brakes will melt the packed in snow and with large brakes that only have a few mm of clearance from the wheels, it can refreeze and lock your wheel solid.

Your ABS, PSM, and parking brake systems will understandably throw a fit if you go for a drive with a locked up wheel.

Limping to the nearest carwash over snow and ice covered roads, and blasting it with warm water will remedy the issue.

So I guess that's one downside of big brakes.

E: yes, Variocam action above 5k rpm and all the noise just inches behind you is magical. With the Boxster top up actually gets you more engine noise as the the folded roof acts as sound damping when it's down.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 28, 2021

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Bajaha posted:

E: yes, Variocam action above 5k rpm and all the noise just inches behind you is magical. With the Boxster top up actually gets you more engine noise as the the folded roof acts as sound damping when it's down.
The Coxster is really the ultimate for that sense of engagement with the engine. I loved being able to hear the varioram intake shift over at 3,500rpm. It was a soft, breathy noise, almost human. drat I miss that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Seems like 987.2 Caymans got a decent price bump in average price in this car madness. Cars that I remember seeing in the mid to low 20s are all over 30k easy now. Doesn't seem worth it over a new GR86 or ND miata.