Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Seaniqua posted:

I want to love gumbo so bad but I hate okra to the extent that I think there is some grand conspiracy against me. Like everyone except me got together and agreed that they'd pretend to love the most disgusting plant they could possibly find.

Phil is completely right here. You don't *have* to include okra. What I learned in my own research was that a lot of file gumbos don't actually put okra in the mix. It's very common to not use it, but add file powder (just sassafras leaves dried and crushed into a powder) at the end to thicken up the broth. Even that is totally optional though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Seaniqua posted:

I want to love gumbo so bad but I hate okra to the extent that I think there is some grand conspiracy against me. Like everyone except me got together and agreed that they'd pretend to love the most disgusting plant they could possibly find.

I follow my man stalekracker about okra in gumbo:

https://youtu.be/jt_sjgjzGk8

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GeekyManatee posted:

Phil is completely right here. You don't *have* to include okra. What I learned in my own research was that a lot of file gumbos don't actually put okra in the mix. It's very common to not use it, but add file powder (just sassafras leaves dried and crushed into a powder) at the end to thicken up the broth. Even that is totally optional though.

Yeah it's often and either/or kinda deal.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Seaniqua posted:

you're allowed to just not put it in.

this gumbo recipe has been a huge hit whenever I've made it and it has zero okra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76JXtB7JFQY

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I thought gumbo was like chilli, a stew with a vague idea of what it should be but no hard and direct rule.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
buttermilk crispy chicken burgs with pickled jalapenos

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

apatheticman posted:

I thought gumbo was like chilli, a stew with a vague idea of what it should be but no hard and direct rule.

It’s definitely got countless variations but pretty understood that gumbo must have roux, trinity, and stock in addition to whatever meats you’re using. And there’s gumbo z’herbes which is its own thing. Other than that, no rules.

But the word “gumbo” comes from African languages for “okra” so, take that for what you will.

E. Also possibly “kombo” which apparently is Choctaw for sassafras, i.e. filé.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 5, 2021

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

apatheticman posted:

Chili is a very specific idea of what it should be, and has numerous hard and direct rules.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

apatheticman posted:

It's one of those traditional regional dishes where if you get 10 people from the region and ask them how it's supposed to be made you'll get 10 different mutally excommunicating One True Recipes. I think the only real constant is it has to have a roux vegetable base.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

The best part is I don’t think I’ve ever made the same gumbo twice

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Okra was the original thickening agent. If you don’t like okra, just use filé powder.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Shrimp & Pork Dumplings! Had to make that spicy garlic dumpling sauce too. Just like the Chinese place down the street... except gluten free so my wife can eat it :downs:

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Thai style mussels

We usually do moules marinieres as default so this was a real nice change and I think I prefer it tbh

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Seaniqua posted:

You don't HAVE to use Okra in gumbo. It's still gumbo. Some gumbos don't even have Okra in them. The rule I've always heard is that you use 2 of the 3 thickening agents in combination. So you can use a roux and filet and no okra or okra and roux but no filet. I say this as someone born and raised in Louisiana. Gumbo is blood.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
A sandwich.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Cheese Stuffed Arancini.

I accidentally overcooked a bunch of rice and I thought maybe some rice balls would be a way to salvage it. The overcooked rice worked really well in holding together. Tossed them in some flour, egg, and breadcrumb, and then into the air fryer. They came out pretty good. This was more of a proof of concept, and I’ll be making a bigger batch for dinner tonight.

Bloodfart McCoy fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 21, 2021

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Cheese Stuffed Arancini.

I accidentally overcooked a bunch of rice and I thought maybe some rice balls would be a way to salvage it. The overcooked rice worked really well in holding together. Tossed them in some flour, egg, and breadcrumb, and then into the air fryer. They came out pretty good. This was more of a proof of concept, and I’ll be making a bigger batch for dinner tonight.

I am always down for arancini, and these look pretty drat tasty.

not the best photos, but a very, very delicious meal now payday has rolled in;

Rare pork tenderloin, cavalo nero, bellota ham, chive and parmigiano mashed Maris Piper potato, parsnip shoestring fries, and a calvados, rosemary and shiitake sauce.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My wife made the French onion soup then I finished the rest of the prep. Toasted the baguettes in the oven after hitting them with cooking spray, then assembled it the soup for roasting. Forgot to take an after picture but the cheese came out perfectly melted toasty brown. The bread had a nice crunch while still absorbing the soup perfectly.

The kids got canned chicken noodle because lol at wasting that effort on them. At least they eat salad too!

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 24, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

devmd01 posted:

My wife made the French onion soup then I finished the rest of the prep. Toasted the baguettes in the oven after hitting them with cooking spray, then assembled it the soup for roasting. Forgot to take an after picture but the cheese came out perfectly melted toasty brown. The bread had a nice crunch while still absorbing the soup perfectly.

The kids got canned chicken noodle because lol at wasting that effort on them. At least they eat salad too!

WHOA! Looks really good.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Made a beef wellington for christmas dinner for myself and my husband. No idea what got it in my mind, but I wanted to try something way outside my comfort zone.

Anyway it turned out tasting good, very juicy and rich, but there were a lot of little things that went wrong / that I learned for next time. Here's a pic and a summary of my notes. Apologies for bad plating.

• The filet I bought was way too fuckin' big. Not only was it too much food for two people, but I had a real issue getting it to cook up to medium rare (and even then it's kind of on the rare side of medium rare, if the image doesn't really make it seem so). Baked at 200 Celsius for 25 minutes, the pastry looked golden and amazing at that point, but upon cutting into the wellington it was still just completely raw in the middle. So it went back in the oven for another 20 minutes, which yielded what you see above. The crust thankfully didn't burn.
  • As you can see, it fell apart. I can only attribute this to not wrapping it tightly enough during preparation.
  • I followed Gordon Ramsay's recipe for the most part, wrapping the beef in prosciutto and chive crepes. This worked fine and the beef itself did stay very juicy, and the crepes stuck well to the puff pastry, but they ended up separating from the prosciutto layer.
  • I made way too loving much duxelles. Seriously half of this would have been more than fine.
  • Likewise, I've realized I'm just not a fan of shallots. Those are going to have to go out of the recipe next time, they're just overpowering. Aside from that the duxelles was fine though, I swiped a little bit from Kenji's recipe and added a bit of scotch and a dash of soy sauce to deglaze. That worked nicely.
  • My prep space is just not large enough for a wellington of this size, which contributed to the issues I had wrapping the thing.

Overall I would definitely try it again, but... maybe not for quite awhile.

Drone fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 24, 2021

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Lots a good going on for tonight. Here’s the mussels I just made.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Filet Mignon, Chimichurri, Twice Baked Potato and 19 Crimes Red Blend. Fam enjoyed the Christmas Eve dinner. Though I think I could have done a better job on the sear. The actual steak was cooked perfectly to how fam liked it, medium edging medium rare.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

How’d you cook it? What heat source, how long etc.?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Chemmy posted:

How’d you cook it? What heat source, how long etc.?

I first tried to sear it in a cast iron enamel pan but I don't think I got it hot enough. I salted it about 40 minutes before hand, patted it to wipe it to try to get it to dry but maybe didn't pull enough moisture out so maybe didn't salt it enough. I had some canola oil in the pan, eventually added butter, thyme and garlic and basted it for a little bit. 2-3 minutes per side but I was doing 3 steaks at a time. Then threw it in the oven for less than 10 minutes at 400. Final temp inside was 135 when done.

Though it instantly made sound when it hit the pan I think it might have been a reaction of moisture to oil. I put my hand over the pan but it could also be I didn't wait long enough to heat up and I was feeling the heat of the burner and thought it was good.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Roast chicken, garlic mashed potatoes, gravy from the roast drippings, and Asian-sautéed zucchini.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Only a small family Xmas lunch this year, so only a little bit of food. Lots of booze, though.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I didn't get a pic of the full spread and plate cos it got busy but check out these geese

So happy with our new oven!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Did a bit of a Cajun Christmas for myself. Made some gumbo and basic rice to put it over.

I probably should have cut the recipe in half, however.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Gatts posted:

I first tried to sear it in a cast iron enamel pan but I don't think I got it hot enough. I salted it about 40 minutes before hand, patted it to wipe it to try to get it to dry but maybe didn't pull enough moisture out so maybe didn't salt it enough. I had some canola oil in the pan, eventually added butter, thyme and garlic and basted it for a little bit. 2-3 minutes per side but I was doing 3 steaks at a time. Then threw it in the oven for less than 10 minutes at 400. Final temp inside was 135 when done.

Though it instantly made sound when it hit the pan I think it might have been a reaction of moisture to oil. I put my hand over the pan but it could also be I didn't wait long enough to heat up and I was feeling the heat of the burner and thought it was good.

For something like a filet I prefer it pretty rare, I'd throw that pan in the oven as hot as it'll go and leave it there for half an hour or so. Pull it out and throw it on a full tilt burner. Little spot of oil and press the steak flat into it, press it down real nice with your hand and sear it hard for 2 minutes a side. If after that it's not warm enough inside for you throw it in the oven until it's ready.

For the "butter in the pan" baste method I normally leave the pan in the oven on a more reasonable temperature like 400 for half an hour or so and then put it on a mid-high burner (but I have a really powerful stove, if you don't I'd go full tilt).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CaptainCrunch posted:

Did a bit of a Cajun Christmas for myself. Made some gumbo and basic rice to put it over.

No no that's fine.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Freeze that poo poo, perfect easy winter dinners!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

CaptainCrunch posted:

no such thing as too much gumbo

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

CaptainCrunch posted:

Nothing wrong with a girthy gumbo tower

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
My only excuse is that I was speaking from the “had too much to eat” holiday sore tummy at the time. I am very pleased with my (checks notes) girthy gumbo tower.

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

CaptainCrunch posted:

Makes me wish I was your neighbor. I'd be bartering homemade cinnamon rolls for gumbo.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Everyone loves a good day-after-Boxing Day roast

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Strong spud game.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

GeekyManatee posted:

Makes me wish I was your neighbor. I'd be bartering homemade cinnamon rolls for gumbo.

You would have a deal, my friend. You would have a deal.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

28/12 is lasagne day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Please fax me some of that.