Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

The emulation for non Sony stuff is pretty sad on a vita. I have a hacked one and even the SNES emulation is :negative:

For vita, PSX and PSP games though it’s :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Apparently if you can find a MOQI i7 (not the S variant) it’s perfect for that.

Hard part is finding one since MOQI disappeared, and since people confuse the i7 for the i7s anyway, people are marking the i7 up by hundreds of dollars.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Rinkles posted:

cause they're relatively expensive, or something you don't like about the vita, like mediocre non-sony emulation?

I frankly don't trust used handhelds anymore, even "lightly used." If I found a reasonably priced new in box Vita I'd get it (that's what I did for a 2DSXL recently), but I think I missed my chance and should've gotten one like five years ago.

edit: Also I don't like the look of the Vita much. Something about the actual design, especially the button design, is really offputting. It's why I never got one previously and it's stopped me a couple of times since then, when cost was much more of an issue.

zachol fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 19, 2021

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Yeah I saved up for ages to get a used New 3DS XL, and the seller ended up sending me one that had literally been chewed on by a dog. Got my money back because they disappeared, but now they’re too loving expensive to just go out and replace it with one in nicer condition, so I ended up going back to my old small New 3DS. Maybe someday I’ll have the skill and the bravery/stupidity to try a case/screen replacement.

Re: PSP, you can sometimes find good deals on PSP-3000s because they’re not in as much demand as Vitas or 3DSes. They’re dead easy to hack these days, and 8-bit, Genesis, and GBA emulation is also good on them, plus you’ll have PS1. No upscaling but it’s native so you won’t have any compatibility issues. Memory cards might be the only issue, not sure if there’s an SD2Vita equivalent for PSP yet.

Also my RP2+ shipped via DHL so yay for being an early adopter/beta tester/possible sucker I guess? Supposedly it’ll be here before New Year’s. Really hoping for decent Saturn and better N64 and Dreamcast emulation, that would be enough to satisfy me.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
I've actually been on a Vita kick for the past couple weeks, and I really love the hardware itself. Wouldn't run anything but psp/native on it, but it is a joy to use.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Humongous Pear posted:

No upscaling but it’s native so you won’t have any compatibility issues. Memory cards might be the only issue, not sure if there’s an SD2Vita equivalent for PSP yet.

You mean Pro Duo adapters? Yeah you can get em for like 5 bucks at newegg

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=pro+duo+adapter

My PSP struggled real hard with 128GB and above, it took like a minute to load the Games folder

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got mega lucky last year when I ordered a New 3DS (not the XL size) from Japan. Got a used one for $130ish and about a month after is when 3DS system prices just suddenly exploded. I think it was Nintendo had announced they were officially done producing them? Anyway, it was a Japanese seller and in absolutely new shape, even included the box. I added custom firmware on it so the region locked cartridges aren't an issue. Didn't even have to pirate games, I have dumps of my own collection.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Marx Headroom posted:

You mean Pro Duo adapters? Yeah you can get em for like 5 bucks at newegg

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=pro+duo+adapter

My PSP struggled real hard with 128GB and above, it took like a minute to load the Games folder

Yeah they work on unmodded systems too unlike the SD2Vita. But the PSP is probably the single easiest system to softmod ever. I actually like the PSP form factor more than the Vita lol

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I got a N3dsxl this summer for like $169 with several games from gamestop. You’d never be able to tell it wasn’t brand new if it didn’t come in the gamestop box. Mileage varies obviously

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I picked up a used N2DSXL from Mercari and then like two days later they went back in stock on Nintendo’s refurb store. I got a good deal so I wasn’t too mad but still

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I picked up a used N2DSXL from Mercari and then like two days later they went back in stock on Nintendo’s refurb store. I got a good deal so I wasn’t too mad but still

I haven’t bought anything on Mercari yet. People on offerup seem shady af though

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
Are there any good new third party PSP replacement batteries?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

otter posted:

I haven’t bought anything on Mercari yet. People on offerup seem shady af though

I’ve had good experiences on mercari, bought a bunch of magic the gathering singles and never ran into any scammers

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Miyoo Mini is back up for sale.

$52

US $52.00 | MIYOO-mini Portable Retro Handheld Game Console 2.8 Inch IPS HD Screen Gaming Console for Player Machine Classic Gaming Emulator
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKAVRJe

I picked one up because :homebrew:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MarcusSA posted:

$52

US $52.00 | MIYOO-mini Portable Retro Handheld Game Console 2.8 Inch IPS HD Screen Gaming Console for Player Machine Classic Gaming Emulator

"Pre-used beige plastic" is a heck of a good colour choice

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

$52

All gone now apparently

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

drat, you can't keep anything gaming-related in stock these days, can you?

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
Just got shipping notification for the RP2+ I ordered when they went up for sale at the end of October

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I heard they've started shipping most of the non-black model, what color was your order?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I want an Analogue Pocket but think I'm fine with my hacked 3DS. Having native 3DS, DS and GBA on one device is pretty dope.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Za-FU6Wbg4

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

$52

Is there any reason to buy this if you already have an rg280v?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there any reason to buy this if you already have an rg280v?

Probably not.

It might be a bit more comfortable maybe a little more powerful?

Seems pretty good for one handed gaming too.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Weirdly specific request: Any console decently powerful enough for Banjo Kazooie / Tooie? I'm guessing RP2+ is the best bet when it drops. Hopefully it can also play Skies of Arcadia well? Been really itching to play these three, and ALSO itching to get a retro handheld, so figure i may as well kill two birds with one stone

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Weirdly specific request: Any console decently powerful enough for Banjo Kazooie / Tooie? I'm guessing RP2+ is the best bet when it drops. Hopefully it can also play Skies of Arcadia well? Been really itching to play these three, and ALSO itching to get a retro handheld, so figure i may as well kill two birds with one stone

I think the weird thing about the N64 is that the emulation doesn't directly correlate to the power a system has, but the way the emulator itself was built. I didn't do any research on it, that's just been my takeaway after so many years of wondering why this 90s console is still giving developers headache.

HOWEVER. Rare Replay is on GamePass and can be played over the cloud. So, in theory, any decent Android device should be able to play the games within in (Kazooie and Tooie are a part of the collection). Skies of Arcadia might be an easier goal since Gamecube emulation isn't as difficult as N64 and as far as I understand, Dreamcast emulation has never been too difficult since it's practically just a computer.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah the RP2+ should fit that bill and be the most reasonably priced.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Also, not really relevant to the above (or maybe it is), but RetroFlag put out a second rendition of their GPi case. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09DPM2GSF

$89.99

The first one utilized a Pi Zero W originally, but this one works with a Pi 4 Lite and has very clearly taken some overall UX cues from Analogue's Pocket. Has a dock now and two new face buttons.

ETA Prime did a video on it and just from skipping around, I can already tell the boot times are dwarfed from the extra oomph of a 4 Lite versus a 0. You may even have better results depending on which configuration of the 4 Lite you pop in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6i2f787Lh4

e: That bit was wrong. He's simply using a Zero 2 W in an original GPi case. This new case fits a 4 Lite, so naturally its power is going to be relatively astronomical in comparison.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 20, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

LODGE NORTH posted:

I think the weird thing about the N64 is that the emulation doesn't directly correlate to the power a system has, but the way the emulator itself was built. I didn't do any research on it, that's just been my takeaway after so many years of wondering why this 90s console is still giving developers headache.

HOWEVER. Rare Replay is on GamePass and can be played over the cloud. So, in theory, any decent Android device should be able to play the games within in (Kazooie and Tooie are a part of the collection). Skies of Arcadia might be an easier goal since Gamecube emulation isn't as difficult as N64 and as far as I understand, Dreamcast emulation has never been too difficult since it's practically just a computer.

Actually Rare Replay isn't on Game Pass(or rather it is on there but only for consoles, it's not on Cloud Gaming) for whatever reason*, several of the component games are(all three Banjo games, Kameo, both Perfect Dark games, and two Viva Pinata games) but those are just the original Xbox 360 versions, which is incredibly annoying as I'd love to play Jetforce Gemini on a more sensible controller but I'm not going to go hunt down an Xbox One when there's barely any other exclusives on that system worth mentioning

*my best guess is there must be some legalese issues with it since when it first came out they made a big deal about it being an Xbox One exclusive and how that was going to be the only way to play it

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
You could grab a series s and run it in dev mode to get ps2 and lower emulation.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
For those with a hacked Vita playing psp & Ps1 games, it sounds like it uses vita specific emulation. Does it have the save state support that other emulators have? I've seen snes support get called out as poor, is it the same for gba? Thanks all.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
It uses a program called Adrenaline which isn't actually an emulator - it runs the games off hardware. It does have save state support and some filtering options. The Vita screen resolution is just 2x the PSP's, so they look great on it. PSX games run with some dead area of course but there are some stretching options if you're into that.

SNES and GBA aren't disasters, they run, but audio usually sucks and you lose features like fast forward because the Vita just doesn't have enough juice. You also have to run them through RetroArch or standalone emulators, whose interfaces I find to be a pain in the rear end. There are overclocking apps that might help with the emulation quality. Haven't seen the LED screen so can't speak to that but the OLED punches waaaaaay above its weight. It's a 5 inch screen and still looks gorgeous.

The Vita library isn't huge but there's bound to be a few gems for everyone there. I'm absolutely addicted to Hot Shots atm

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

loopsheloop posted:

It uses a program called Adrenaline which isn't actually an emulator - it runs the games off hardware. It does have save state support and some filtering options. The Vita screen resolution is just 2x the PSP's, so they look great on it. PSX games run with some dead area of course but there are some stretching options if you're into that.

SNES and GBA aren't disasters, they run, but audio usually sucks and you lose features like fast forward because the Vita just doesn't have enough juice. You also have to run them through RetroArch or standalone emulators, whose interfaces I find to be a pain in the rear end. There are overclocking apps that might help with the emulation quality. Haven't seen the LED screen so can't speak to that but the OLED punches waaaaaay above its weight. It's a 5 inc screen and still looks gorgeous.

Adrenaline actually lets you make save states for PSP games (might be buggy? i don't remember, but I never had issues)

Last time I tried GBA on Vita, it ran well enough to have proper fast forward support. SNES was pretty crappy though.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Yep, don't use em myself but I just tested a save state in ZHP and it worked.

The Vita isn't going to be an all in one solution. Picking one up is gonna cost in between a Steam Deck and an RK3266 and will not have the versatility of either. The PSX/PSP library is huge though and the device feels very luxe. I have a fondness for it since I've had it for almost ten years so this is all a bit biased, you might just want to hold off if that doesn't sound awesome.

If you do grab one... Hot Shots :argh:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I can only assume GBA is fine on Vita since it ran well enough on PSP for me to beat Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I was pretty disappointed in my hacked Vita for SNES/GBA performance. Lots of audio glitches and slowdown for me. I actually think my PSP emulates those systems better surprisingly.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Disappointing Pie posted:

I was pretty disappointed in my hacked Vita for SNES/GBA performance. Lots of audio glitches and slowdown for me. I actually think my PSP emulates those systems better surprisingly.

I went through the exact same thing. In the end I just said the hell with it and bought a rg351 and never looked back.

Also the vita sticks are too small and the lack of physical L2/R2 buttons blows.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The only reason I haven't completely tossed my Vita is because of Soul Sacrifice Delta. It boggles my mind that game was never ported to anything.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I haven't had any GBA problems on Vita. But yeah that machine is best for people who a) like the hardware and b) want the PSX/PSP/Vita library. Ticks both my boxes so I use the thing every day.

Lately: Darkest Dungeon, P4, Helldivers (community still active amazingly), SotN, the PSP Armored Core games

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Disappointing Pie posted:

I used to run GBA through the PSP emulator because the native emulators all had performance issues, but eventually the native versions caught up. I've haven't used my Vita in like a year, but last time I did some GBA emulation I was happy with how it ran. iirc, fast forwarding was faster than PSP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I only had issues with emulators on vita. Even something like Advance Wars had graphical glitches and stuff. Really stinks. Psp games are fun, but honestly there’s not much on a vita to make it worth it. Get it if you’re thinking about buying a psp and it’s not much more but ehhhhh. It’s library is really small especially if you’re not a weeb.

Definitely wouldn’t recommend it to someone who is mostly interested in handheld emulation. (New)3ds runs gba and snes games better, and has a much much better library overall.