Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

easy mode sucks rear end and is poo poo do NOT put it in your game

all these accessibility suggstions are from people who assume new players are idiot children who don't know what a gauge is
it's not supposed to be for brain damaged people, they are regular-rear end intelligent human gamers who just aren't good at this one genre (yet) and want to punch their friends without having to look up weird discord servers for combos

...but how does that help when you now have to keep track of what special you need to use after confirming this normal and whether you have to use MP for it or if you have enough for it and now what's the combo with MP again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I would love an easy mode in Type Lumina so I can select “no auto combos please” and my opponent, my brother who is gonna be mashing, can select “yes auto combos please”

As it is now, everyone is forced to have TL’s idea of autos and that’s a huge point of contention among players. Because they wanna do the accessibility thing without the segregation.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Gutcruncher posted:

I would love an easy mode in Type Lumina so I can select “no auto combos please” and my opponent, my brother who is gonna be mashing, can select “yes auto combos please”

As it is now, everyone is forced to have TL’s idea of autos and that’s a huge point of contention among players. Because they wanna do the accessibility thing without the segregation.

Accessibility via Segregation does not work except in this specific case of two people at home playing against eachother, it also introduces questions for competitive instead of simply giving everyone the same tools and letting those who use them best be good at the game.

The goal should be that the game is equally enjoyable for people playing at their own level, which requires good matchmaking more than anything, auto-combos mostly let people get into the rhythm of what they should be doing more than it improves accessibility.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Gutcruncher posted:

So have a “I wanna mash” mode and don’t let the pro rear end players now also have one button specials at any moment they want

Granblue did all this work to help the mashers or the terminally low level players and what it really did was give more tools to the people already destroying them.

Any assistance you give to low level players will also assist the high level players to a greater degree. Segregating it off prevents this.

or, you know, just stop trying to crowbar mechanics into doing a tutorial's job

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
like i know every competitive PvP or even decently challenging singleplayer franchise is inevitably doomed to turn to poo poo because capitalism demands constant growth and that conflicts with just making a good game for the people who already appreciate them, but let's not lose sight of the fact that integrated and segregated easy modes both loving suck rear end

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

The issue is giving everyone the same tools when your goal is “give a helping hand to the low levels” you are giving a small boost to that intended target and a huge boost to the “enemy” of that target. By splitting it up like, for example Marvel Superheroes Vs Street Fighter, you can have players choose to have auto combos and a limited auto block at the expense of combo freedom. Both player types can have a mode they enjoy without giving the better players even more ways to rip the worse player apart

Edit:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

but let's not lose sight of the fact that integrated and segregated easy modes both loving suck rear end

Oh agreed, I’m more arguing that segregated is the better of the two, not so much “good”

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 19, 2021

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
make a game with krushing blows as the primary super mechanic
then make a mode where you get a random krushing blow like winning state (land 3 sweeps) that changes each round.
new players are now forced to experiment with new moves in new and unique ways, and can blame luck on why they lost.
theres the "fun"/"mashing" mode that starts giving new players lots of random bits of info to work with and piece together strategies with when they play ranked.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Create a centralized database of all players and give them like golf handicaps that make combo timing more lenient and gives them more hp if they suck worse that the opponent.
Pros meanwhile start with red health and frame perfect links

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Like, MOBAs (a genre almost as impenetrable as fighting games for the layman) solved this with proper matchmaking. If your goal is "we want low level players to enjoy the game as much as high level players without getting bodied by said high level players" the answer is matchmaking being good.

The only recent fighting game I can think of with good matchmaking is Strive, and it for some reason boots people down levels at the end of every month so that people can enjoy getting bodied at levels that were once okay.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
The game is pretty fun and there is some crazy bullshit you can do with most characters. I think if anything there should be more of a penalty for running out of meter because you can make people block 4 or 5 special moves in a block string while trying to guard crush with only one real opportunity to escape before the meter recharges and you can do it again.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Gutcruncher posted:

The issue is giving everyone the same tools when your goal is “give a helping hand to the low levels” you are giving a small boost to that intended target and a huge boost to the “enemy” of that target. By splitting it up like, for example Marvel Superheroes Vs Street Fighter, you can have players choose to have auto combos and a limited auto block at the expense of combo freedom. Both player types can have a mode they enjoy without giving the better players even more ways to rip the worse player apart

Edit:

Oh agreed, I’m more arguing that segregated is the better of the two, not so much “good”

high level players are not the enemy of low level players. it's not even supposed to be about closing the gap, necessarily
'accessibility' isn't supposed to be about giving them free wins against players better than them. nobody wants that. nobody cares about that. except brainwormed Elo-poisoned MOBA players i guess

accessibility in fighting games is about making it so new players can quickly get into "the real game" and start playing in a way that lets them learn and improve (even if they lose) instead of mindlessly mashing.
making a "stylish mode" that has the AI do optimal combos when you mindlessly mash does nothing to help with this goal.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Embrace Smash Brothers and the rabbithole of complexity model. Choose your own difficulty. Deliver a stunning blow.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If we had all just played Guilty Gear 2 we'd already be living in the fighting game MOBA fusion future

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

accessibility in fighting games is about making it so new players can quickly get into "the real game" and start playing in a way that lets them learn and improve (even if they lose) instead of mindlessly mashing.
making a "stylish mode" that has the AI do optimal combos when you mindlessly mash does nothing to help with this goal.

This is the problem I have though. Games are putting “stylish mode” combos in, except since nobody does the easy mode anymore there’s no way to choose to not have it.

In KOF15 for instance you can just mash the same button 5 times and it does a decent simple combo into whatever the highest level super your meter will allow. I’d love to switch that off even if my opponent would rather keep it.

This is besides my other rant about single button specials in gbvs. Same family of whining but not quite the same

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Spanish Manlove posted:

but they are idiot children who don't know what gauges are

the year is 2021 if you're playing a video game you know what a gauge is

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
This game just looks like GranBLue with decent netcode and slightly bigger normals. Which is to say, pretty dope.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

i have no idea what any of you are talking about but i want to say that dnf owns and it's the most fun i've had playing a fighting game in 2021

i'll gladly give 8ing my hard earned dollars for this when it comes out

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This game just looks like GranBLue with decent netcode and slightly bigger normals. Which is to say, pretty dope.

dnf's netcode is better than strive's

i've played matches that would give me rollbacks in strive but were fine in dnf

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

DNF is nothing like GB and it took some getting used to but I’m having loads of fun with it and will gladly buy it when the time comes.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Devs should go whole hog but in the other direction - in the next Halo make it so when you pick up a new gun you have to look up what button combinations to press to shoot, alt fire, and throw the different types of grenades.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

teh_Broseph posted:

Devs should go whole hog but in the other direction - in the next Halo make it so when you pick up a new gun you have to look up what button combinations to press to shoot, alt fire, and throw the different types of grenades.

As long as I can grapple, smash, sticky combo its fine, I don't need other buttons

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

teh_Broseph posted:

Ask someone if they liked Doom Eternal and you will know if someone is up for that kinda poo poo.

I kinda would, not gonna lie.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Looks like FighterZ has more dlc coming?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1jqWOhwoQfQ

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Wonder if this is like Avatar Belial where they're like "well it wouldn't be too hard with existing assets"

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Knocking Marys and Terrys out of their bullshit with a Spray can never gets old. Isla owns :swoon:

Also Antanov might be one of my favorite "Grappler" designs ever. It's just so satifying to smash a dude with a back breaker or Tanguska Bomber

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

please stop playing DNF so that the population stops bleeding away from blazblue

tia

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I'm just gonna keep playing Strive and you can't stop me

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Dias posted:

I mean, that's still part of what I'm complaining about, just give characters strong tools with no resource management attached to them and a meter burn button tied to a regular super meter if you wanna go that route. Why reinvent the wheel if you're trying to be "accessible"?

I think it makes sense from a psychology perspective. It encourages players to spend meter and treat it as a renewable resource

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Doesn't blazblue have an opt-in auto combo mode

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Tae posted:

It's got "Stylish" mode but idk what it actually does

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tae posted:

Yeah it does but it's a completely different mode that IIRC makes you unable to do normal combos. Rev2 has the same thing.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

teh_Broseph posted:

monster hunter world had a little ui element in one of the top corners of the screen that just constantly showed all the different buttons you could press for weapon moves at your current position mid-combo
it was actually pretty helpful for learning cus MH weapons are very combo/state-based, like you can only do the charge blade's big bread-and-butter explosion move after getting into a specific stance which you could access through either a slow transforming move or cancel into instantly off of a parry

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

monster hunter world had a little ui element in one of the top corners of the screen that just constantly showed all the different buttons you could press for weapon moves at your current position mid-combo
it was actually pretty helpful for learning cus MH weapons are very combo/state-based, like you can only do the charge blade's big bread-and-butter explosion move after getting into a specific stance which you could access through either a slow transforming move or cancel into instantly off of a parry

As someone who started MonHun gaming with World that was a FANTASTIC feature and it's a crime that Rise doesn't have it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

-farmer goku
-bulma in a mech suit throwing capsules
-yajirobe

thats all i want

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

teh_Broseph posted:

Receiver 2 sorta does this and it's awesome. I had to go to wikipedia to find how to not kill myself using the final gun the game gave me.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
If easy specials in DnFD work on the same premise as the ones in GBVS, they won't even limited to an accessibility tool- even high level GBVS play involves at least some Easy Special use as the tradeoff is worth it to get some specials on demand (especially anti-airs, but sometimes to frame-perfect inputs for other specials like lunges/lariats in punish situations since windows could be very tight) or to cut down the difficulty of execution in some combos routes to gain consistency, which is nice since GBVS combos were ultimately very timing and link-focused despite having gatlings and the trappings of a standard anime fighter, and getting the right directional inputs and timings for stuff like command normals could already be tricky enough without having to roll out circle or multi-tap motions.

Easy specials wound up being a very important part of GBVS at every level of play so I have some faith their return in DnFD are to serve a lot of similar purposes- like the ability to trade resource availability for consistency- although I have to wonder if Eighting will be quite as deliberate with their design as the team that made GBVS was.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

maybe this was already covered earlier in the thread but is there even a tradeoff in this game? I saw someone say there doesn't seem to be any difference between the easy specials and the motion specials, except that it says "Good" when you do the motion version.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
People were saying mana regen starts faster with the motion inputs.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Ghosthotel posted:

If you're referring to the cool down on MP regen then the answer is to not use the simple inputs. Using the motion instead makes it so your MP regen starts right away.

https://twitter.com/spiidionnoita/status/1472344442996678662?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I wonder whether easy-input options actually reach the audience they're intended to reach - I know the FEXL devs said it was the veteran players who all used the easy-input system, but the novices largely didn't touch it because they had hang-ups about it being sub-optimal or too much of a baby mode or whatever.