Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

DC visit still doesn't exist so if you want to play with pals on another data center....

Got into a conversation during MQ roulette this morning with some people from, I think it was Byrnhildr, and they started talking about a friend/FC mate who had 40 characters and used a spreadsheet/randomization process to decide which one to play on any given day.

Personally I have 4, each one a different race with different job specialties, with a 5th planned for the new upcoming data center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I also have a level 1 alt that I made to attend a friend's EB ceremony because for some reason you can't do that through world visit and need to have the same home server.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Offkorn posted:

a friend/FC mate who had 40 characters and used a spreadsheet/randomization process to decide which one to play on any given day

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
edit: added a second panel

A Bug fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 19, 2021

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I have an alt because I wanted to play bnuuy boi but I was too attached to my Au Ra main to Fantasia her.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Arist posted:

I have kind of a weird ask: You know how the 2002 error popup is semi-transparent and you can see the queue number behind it, something you've almost certainly never thought about? I'm working on something very stupid and for it I'd like a fullscreen (or at least reasonably large) screenshot of the 2002 error with the queue number below, say, 1300 or so (the number at 1 would be absolutely perfect but I'm not too greedy/picky about my prospects here). If anyone has an image like that they'd let me use, I'd be very grateful. I've been trying to get it myself during my logins but (un)fortunately I haven't 2002'd in a while.

If nobody here can get you, you could also check through launch day streams and see if you can find anything

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Arist posted:

I have kind of a weird ask: You know how the 2002 error popup is semi-transparent and you can see the queue number behind it, something you've almost certainly never thought about? I'm working on something very stupid and for it I'd like a fullscreen (or at least reasonably large) screenshot of the 2002 error with the queue number below, say, 1300 or so (the number at 1 would be absolutely perfect but I'm not too greedy/picky about my prospects here). If anyone has an image like that they'd let me use, I'd be very grateful. I've been trying to get it myself during my logins but (un)fortunately I haven't 2002'd in a while.

Given the way they've described it, you can probably generate it yourself by pulling your ethernet cable while in the login queue.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Given the way they've described it, you can probably generate it yourself by pulling your ethernet cable while in the login queue.

Didn't even think of this, but I just tried it and it went perfectly, so thanks!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I also have a level 1 alt that I made to attend a friend's EB ceremony because for some reason you can't do that through world visit and need to have the same home server.

there is some weirdness with whatever that does because lol that they won't issue marriage licenses during this time of server congestion

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for 83 line rotation mechanic? The quadrant rotation is simple enough for me but that other one just slides over my brain lol

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for 83 line rotation mechanic? The quadrant rotation is simple enough for me but that other one just slides over my brain lol

The sequence is always like this: [| | ]

Look where the platform is going to rotate, and stand on the edge of the platform that will have the blank row.

Edit: Trying to figure out how to word this better on mobile. The snakes start like this:

Edge
Snake
Safe
Snake
Safe
Edge

And will rotate to this:

Edge Snake Safe Snake Safe Edge

So in this example, you would stand on the right side of the arena so when it rotates you'll be in the safe spot.

Squidtentacle fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 19, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I find that visualising it as a 4x4 chessboard helps.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Offkorn posted:

they started talking about a friend/FC mate who had 40 characters and used a spreadsheet/randomization process to decide which one to play on any given day.

ppl might scoff at alts but once you get into the territory of buying multiple retainers you start getting a poo poo ton of materials from them. The removal of HQ mats made the the DoW/M retainers bring in 15 (From 10) and Mining/Botany bring in 50 (From 30). once I get my retainers going across my alts I'll never have to touch Palm Sap ever again. (3 Alts w/ 6 Botanist retainers each = enough sap for 150 purple script turn ins.)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

I find that visualising it as a 4x4 chessboard helps.

I took out an actual chessboard to actually visualize it lol

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

iroguebot posted:

I'm a wow transplant been playing since this past summer and got through all of msq and finished endwalker last week. Now I'm going about just discovering things in the game and stumbled upon palace of the dead or whatever that torghast was ripped off of and let me say just doing the first 20 floors was really fun, the sprite graphics are a cute touch and someone in one of my groups mentioned you get to keep the white weapon after a certain point?

Wow didnt come close if this is what they were going for.
It also gets genuinely pretty hard in the part of it that you need a preformed party to go to. The only problem is it takes hours to build up to that level. Heaven-on-High in the Ruby Sea is a very similar kind of dungeon that ramps up a little faster, in that regard.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
The biggest oversight with the expansion is not letting you use emotes to pose your followers.

They look so awkward.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Help my server is now infested by Garlean Empire RPers I need a goddamned meteor spell.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

For 70-80, is Bozja generally considered the best way to level alts once you get the roulette bonuses out of the way?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Regalingualius posted:

For 70-80, is Bozja generally considered the best way to level alts once you get the roulette bonuses out of the way?

I don't know for sure that there's nothing faster, but I do know that it's very fast. If you're far enough in the story to have the final zone of Zadnor unlocked, it takes around 5 hours to go from 71 to 81.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Help my server is now infested by Garlean Empire RPers I need a goddamned meteor spell.

The fabric of our star began to fray

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I did my first dungeon as Sage! It was horrible, and I don't know how these buttons work, is there a rotation guide floating around? I figured it can't be that much more complex than AST. Perhaps I was wrong.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Also, for Summoner: should you be blowing Summon Bahamut on CD even if you still have charges left on your other summons, or try to use them all up first? I figured the former because it keeps your CDs consistently lined up

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Regalingualius posted:

For healer/tank, it's faster to spam your highest level dungeon.
For DPS dungeon spam is theoretically faster but only if you have a healer/tank friend to speed up your queue times. Otherwise it's better to do bozja (or potd/hoh at lower levels)..

Nessus posted:

I did my first dungeon as Sage! It was horrible, and I don't know how these buttons work, is there a rotation guide floating around? I figured it can't be that much more complex than AST. Perhaps I was wrong.

rotation guide? in dungeons your rotation is just dyskrasia dyskrasia dyskrasia dyskrasia plus i guess throw some phlegma or toxikon in there whenever you have stacks
that's way more straightforward than whatever ast has going on with its card stuff.
unless you're talking about healing abilities but you don't really have a rotation for those per se.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 19, 2021

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Nessus posted:

Your rotation goal for trash pulls in dungeons is to stagger your mitigative abilities in order to maintain essentially a permanent 10% damage mitigation buff on the tank for the whole pull. Kerachole, Taurochole, and Holos are the mitigative abilities you'll want to stagger -- and it should be noted that Kerachole and Taurochole do NOT stack together (thus the staggering of them) but Holos does stack with them (but is penalized with a long cooldown as a result).

Start with Kardia the tank, and pre-shield them with Eukrasian Diagnosis. You can also apply individual Eukrasian Diagnosis shields on the whole party, since if they accidentally step in the bad and the shields pop, you get some Adder's stings procs for your Toxikon. (more AoE damage = faster dead packs of trash monsters)

Follow the tank while applying Eukrasian Dosis DoT's to everything. Once the tank has rounded up all the trash, you can start dropping your AoE's through Phlegma/Toxicon/Dyskrasia (in that order of priority), all of which will do Kardion heals on the tank.

First oGCD healing rotation for you is to quickly apply Krasis + Physis II on the tank, followed immediately by Kerachole + Haima on the next GCD spin. These 4 oGCD's alone along with your Kardion heals will sustain the tank for ~15s. The order you cast them in is also important, as the Krasis will buff the Physis potency, and Krasis+Physis will snapshot and buff the healing of the Kerachole and Haima shields, which is actually really busted strong. Once you see the Kerachole (10%) buff about to drop off, that's when you Taurochole to give them back their 10% mitigation (and also a bit of healing). This should handle mega pull #1 of a dungeon.

For the second mega pull in a dungeon, it's very similar where you start with Krasis + Physis II on the tank, followed immediately by Kerachole but this time you'll use Panhaima (as Haima is likely still on cooldown.) These again will sustain the tank for ~15s as long as you are continously doing AoE damage for Kardion heals. Once Kerachole is dropping off, you'll Taurochole + Soteria the tank, and after you see the tank dipping a bit you can Holos ontop of that. Once the Taurochole/Holos are about to drop, you can Kerachole once more as it'll be off cooldown.

For both pulls, Keep doing your AoE damage during the whole time, and toss the tank Druochole or another Eukrasian Diagnosis if needed. You can also use a Zoe+Pneuma as an emergency topper and AoE damage whenever you want. Pop Rhizomata whenever you need Adder's galls.

Never stop your lasers pew pew

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 19, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
but kerachole sucks badly as a low-level sage, before you get the enhanced kerachole trait at level 78 (just like Sacred Soil does since it's basically the same skill)
it's very rare that the tank is going to take enough damage at once for that 10% reduction to outweigh just throwing an extra druochole/lustrate out with the same resource

then you get the trait that gives it an actual 500potency regen and suddenly it becomes your best healing ability that you want to pop on cooldown in pulls

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

Regalingualius posted:

Its probably the best way to level 70-85 debatably 87 however this costs your own sanity.

The way you milk bozja for the most xp/hr is by queueing into southern front, using Deep Breathtaker, and equipping both Lost Sprint and Lost Impetus actions. Your only goal is to see how many warcrimes you can commit per hour by jumping from skirmish to skirmish and attempting to get as much credit as possible. CEs are normally traps for this purpose.

Zadnor is a good way to get mettle gain but nothing will beat the FATE spawn rate of southern front.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

Regalingualius posted:

Also, for Summoner: should you be blowing Summon Bahamut on CD even if you still have charges left on your other summons, or try to use them all up first? I figured the former because it keeps your CDs consistently lined up

You'll probably want to keep Bahamut lined up with your 3% raidwide buff. Akh Morning's website might have an answer for this.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Sorry if this has already come up since I haven't read the whole thread, but there's a funny minor detail in the Japanese version that isn't in the English one: When the squad arrives in Thavnair for the first time very early in the expansion, Emet is actually thrown off of his standard Dramatic Area Introduction Narration for a moment due to the sorry state of the group, and afterwards sounds audibly skeptical wondering if they're really up to the task of dealing with the place's problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TthpZCKxS1g&t=14913s

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
That's 100% there in English, though? I guess you could say it's not obvious, but it's definitely there.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I've been watching my wife go through the story and it's been interesting seeing some of the stuff in the 80-83 content a second time. (General Endwalker spoilers) After the 83 trial, when Zodiark/Amon-Fandaniel die, Amon says something along the lines of "The me I was would hate the me I became" or something like that. Which has a different vibe after playing through the later zones. There are quite a few moments like that.

I've had some thoughts on some of this stuff and I realized a solution to some of the issues people have with EW (more general spoilers) Many have said that Dynamis should have been seeded earlier. And I agree I wish it was. I don't necessarily even think you have to do it as far back as even the Shadowbringers 5.0 MSQ. Some people say that Endwalker feels like "two expansions in one" aka the Stormblood problem. I think one thing that could have alleviated that more would be to seed more of that in patch 5.4/5.5. People were already complaining that 5.4/5.5 were a bit lean on the story and expansion ramp-up. One hook they could have done would be to have the lady scientist elephant come over to Eorzea when she hears about our tempering cure, she drops some general Thavnair lore, talks about the Akasa, then fucks off and basically says "If you're ever in Thavnair, come check on how my research is going." I think this would do a lot of work to smooth out that lore ramp. If anything, Endwalker is made weaker due to 5.4/5.5 not doing enough. Just some random stoned thoughts.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
do y'all think there will be a level squish w the next xpac? i feel like the game would sorely benefit from one cause the leveling experiences for most classes are so loving weird and bad in spots.

edit: also is there a canonical class that could be a magic tank? like no melee weapon, just magic?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Onean posted:

That's 100% there in English, though? I guess you could say it's not obvious, but it's definitely there.

I did double-check the English version first and he definitely doesn't fumble anything there, his tone remains totally steady and it's just replaced with his usual dramatic pauses ("What choice do you have... what chance... against such an insidious foe?")

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tabletops posted:

do y'all think there will be a level squish w the next xpac? i feel like the game would sorely benefit from one cause the leveling experiences for most classes are so loving weird and bad in spots.

edit: also is there a canonical class that could be a magic tank? like no melee weapon, just magic?

We need to get to lvl 99 first for the classic FF level cap.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Ibblebibble posted:

We need to get to lvl 99 first for the classic FF level cap.

You get to level 99 but then you need to level up one last time and roll it all the way back to level 1 because the final zone is Ipsen Castle.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Getting through Shadowbringers post-game story quests and I just really like the First Shard's version of Bismarck. He's just a big old whale creature who wants to relax and live alongside all those neat little mortal folk running around, especially with the way he calls everyone "Little Neighbour". And gets all excited to be taught the mortal languages so he can actually talk to people :allears:. It's nice to see a giant entity like that that's just big and chill without being smug about being ancient or powerful and the like.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Kanfy posted:

I did double-check the English version first and he definitely doesn't fumble anything there, his tone remains totally steady and it's just replaced with his usual dramatic pauses ("What choice do you have... what chance... against such an insidious foe?")

He's still steady, but his tone is more incredulous than usual, and the pauses are placed exactly where you'd expect them to be if he was reacting to the start of the trip.

I mean, I picked up that he was referencing the rough start, and I'm usually pretty mediocre at picking up stuff like that. Plus I saw more than a few people also catch on, so there's definitely something there.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ugh, I wanted to finish the "gather 30 each of 6 items" step of the relic before going into Dalriada to finish Bozja but I'm not sure my mind can handle it. Nowadays everyone on Zadnor just spams fates on zone 3 so that step is already done, but nobody bother killing much of the mobs to spawn CE and obviously nobody spawns anything on zones 1 and 2 so my only option is to run Eden and Alexander around 15 times and Deltascape around 30. Why didn't they remove the Sync requirement with Endwalker :negative:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Regalingualius posted:

Yes, summon on cooldown, same with Phoenix.

Akh Morn and Revelation had their potency doubled, they do 1300 now, and since they just reset the lesser summons there's no reason not to. Energy drain and fester get weaved in, the timing on ruin IV is flexible, and precious brilliance isn't a big enough bump to worry about outside of savage content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tabletops posted:

I think if there's any time to revamp things for the sake of new players, 6.x/7.0 seems like the time. With all the talk of 6.x being the set up for a new story arc, I have to wonder if they might just give new players the option to start there, and then have 2.0->6.0 served by NG+

But I also have no idea how they pull that off, cause it's not like they can make 6.x or the start of 7.0 mechanically new player friendly without making it really boring for veterans. Also, while they might not rely on old story hooks, it's still hard to imagine how they could create a story that doesn't lean in 2.0-6.0 at all, or at least in a way that a fresh player doesn't feel lost?

I'm not entirely sure they can do a level squish without completely obliterating the balance of old content.

e: Minor gripe, but I decided to work on my ARR Sightseeing log after finding a website that just tells you exactly when they'll be available... only now i'm roadblocked by #9 cause the weather in Gridania is snow for the event...