Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Secondhand Cakefarts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Thought the original was posted but can't find the link for it, so sorry for this wall of text...

AITA for selling my PS5 rather than sharing it with my step brothers?

quote:

My (15, M) mum and dad met and briefly dated while they were both studying at uni. My mum gave birth to me after they had broken up and had to sue my dad for child support. I was raised by my mum and had virtually nothing to do with my dad throughout my childhood. My mum was an international student and her family cut ties with her due to the circumstances of my birth. Tragically, two years ago, I lost my mum to cancer and thus I was placed under the care of my dad.

My dad has remarried and has two sons (5 and 7) with his wife. It wasn’t a bad arrangement at first, but we were all essentially strangers. I was given a bedroom to myself and we shared some meals but other than kept to myself.

About 10 months ago, I was lucky enough to score a casual job at an aged care facility as IT support. It was stupid easy money as it involves installing and maintaining a dozen or so common PCs used by the residents plus running basic computing workshops.

I ended up accruing a whole lot of disposable income in a short time. Stupidly, instead of just keeping quiet about it, I decked out my room with a new TV, headphone and a PS5. Obviously, this setup was of great interest to my two step-brothers. Initially, my rule was that they could play the PS5 anytime I wasn’t using it but I would get first dibs if I wanted to play or use my TV. I was also super accommodating by buying an extra controller (which I didn’t need) and several kid friendly games that they wanted to play. I eventually had to change the rule to ‘only play when I was there’ because the 5 y.o destroyed one my controllers through spilling juice on it. This is where the drama started.

They whined to my ‘parents’ who then ‘ordered’ me to place the PS5 in the living room. I refused stating that I had purchased it with my own money. This led to their argument that I have too much money and should contribute rent, utilities and food money. I called their bluff and said ‘sure, draw up a contract and I’ll get a lawyer to review it to ensure it complies with the Family Law Act’. My dad then told the boys that he was going to buy a separate PS5 for the boys for Christmas but the dude is clueless about the global shortage.

Finally last night, after realising that he had zero change of buying one for close to RRP, my dad threatened me to either voluntarily gift my PS5 to the boys for Christmas or he would toss it in the bin while I was at school. I was so pissed that I went on Facebook Market place and sold the PS5.

The boys found out today and were devastated. I feel really bad because they shouldn’t be punished for this shitshow. My ‘parents’ are in their room talking about me and I’m sitting here in my room. AITA? How could I have handled this better?

Update:

Wow! This blew up overnight. Firstly, thanks to all the kind strangers out there given me your positive encouragement and support. It’s quite humbling that so many of took time to read my story and chose to provide positive support. Some people were after an update of the situation.

I’m at work now but my step-mum had a chat with me this morning and it was quite positive. She said she didn’t know about my existence until right before I came to live with them and so it caused a huge rift between her and dad. She apologised for projecting that onto me and not being more welcoming. She also didn’t know about my dad’s threats and told me that it won’t happen on her watch. My half-brothers also admitted to her about the juice incident. She said that she is going to get the boys a Switch for Christmas and she offered to pay me the difference between RRP and getting a new PS5. I probs won’t take the money but at least it’s a step forward. This was the longest conversation I have ever had with her too btw.

No comms from my dad yet, lol.

To answer some common questions:

My bank account is entirely in my name only (Australia). No one else has ability to view or access the balance. I actually don’t think my dad’s demand for rent was about money, they both earn a good salary. He’s just butt hurt that I’m not reliant on his money.

Yes, I really am 15, lol! I typed out my post in Word and so that it could be spell and grammar checked - maybe that’s what confused people?

I get $AU27.50 an hour on a casual contract, with additional loading for weekends/phs. The operations manager at the Aged Care facility is super chill and allows me to schedule my hours around school, I just have a cap that I can’t go over. She lets me do my homework on the clock and I get free meals from cafeteria. If I help the residents on non-facility devices they usually tip me (in cash or sometimes cookies, lol). I've got a fair bit saved up because I don't really have any expenses.

I’ve got a shoebox of documents from when my mum passed. I think my mum’s assets is looked after by a trustee firm which will be turned over to me at 18. The law firm managing the will had previously explained this to me but I wasn’t really paying attention at the time. I’ve got to still go through everything.

I sold PS5 for a tidy profit, even with the cost of the damaged controller. I’m not desperate for one atm so I’ll just sign up for a waiting list again so I won’t need to take up my step-mum’s offer.

This is probably my last post on this issue. Thanks again for the love everyone!

Update 2 (19 Dec):

So we've got a gathering with the extended family today. This is the first time I've met any of them due to COVID (and they've all been super lovely to me). My step-mum showed them my original post and they are all getting stuck into dad. My uncle (dad's younger brother) has set up a reddit account for him and he's doubling down as he thinks Redditors will take his side when they read his account of it. I'm not going to link or read his post but people have been telling me it's quite a bloodbath.

Another Update
Sorry, I know I said my previous update post was the final one. I think I just have to do one more to close everything off. There’s a lot of emotions running through me right now so I’m sorry for rambling a bit.

Firstly, I’m immensely grateful to all the redditors who reached out to me to voice your support or to make sure that I’m ok. I’m very touched.

Secondly, I got to meet and spend time with my extended family today! There were over 40 of them here, they are a rowdy bunch, but they are amazing! They really made me feel welcome. Some of my cousins are gamers too, so there was an instant connection. In terms of family, it’s been mostly mum and I for my whole life, so this is definitely new to me. But my new fam were 100% accommodating and were very interested in me!

Thirdly, my step-mum turned out to be a champ. One of the first things she did was introduce me and show everyone my reddit post. It turned into a massive debate where nearly the whole family laid into dad (including my grandparents!). At one stage my uncle (another redditor) pulled me aside and told me that “don’t worry mate, your dad has always been a bit of a stubborn c**t. He’ll get over it”. Another amazing thing was when my nan said she knew my mum quite well and we had a great chat about her.

I think we broke dad in the process. My dad got very loud arguing with the family and my uncle somehow trolled my dad into posting on reddit to “tell his side”. He’s been on his laptop in his study since then for nearly the whole night, glued to the screen. He didn’t even come out for dinner.

I don’t know how this will end, but all I know is that I feel so much better. Whatever happens with dad, at least I have some amazing family members, swapped some gamer tags with my cousins and have reached some common ground with my step-mum. To think, all this started with a single reddit post.

I lack the words to describe how grateful I am! Thank you for your generosity, thank you for your love. I hope everyone out there can be as lucky as me and spend the holidays with their loved ones. Sending you peace, love and good vibes, where ever you are!

BUT WAIT, IT GETS BETTER. The father then did his own AITA post:

quote:

AITA for asking my son to share his console with his brothers instead of keeping it in his room?
A few days ago, my bio-son Jonah (not real name) posted a biased and frankly defamatory post about an incident in my home regarding a PS5. My wife was kind enough to share the post and comments with our entire extended family at our Christmas gathering so apparently now I’m a huge rear end in a top hat.

My brother suggested that I post here to set record straight and give people both sides of the issue.

- Firstly, I never actually intended to charge Jonah rent. His job gives him essentially 100% disposable income purely because he lives in our household. He used this money to deck out his room, buy brand shoes, buy the latest iPhone etc, all for himself. I couldn't care less about how he spends his money, but it does set a poor example for my other two boys. The last straw was when Jonah set a login password for the PS5. I basically told him that if he’s not willing to share then why should I give him a free ride?

- My son should be grateful. While we share DNA, I only dated his mum, May (not actual name) for all of 5 months back in uni. I was very clear with May that I didn’t want kids but apparently consent doesn’t go both ways. May put me through legal hell and ended up costing me tens of thousands of dollars over the years in child support, setting my own goals back.

- Instead of letting Jonah end up in a group home, I stepped up and took him in when May got sick. Instead of gratitude, I constantly have to deal with disrespect and attitude.

- Because of Jonah, my wife thinks I breached her trust all for something that happened well before I met her.

- While the boys previously did have access to PS5, he now won’t let them play it now that school is finished for the year unless he's home (which he never is). I gave him the ultimate of either sharing the console or no one gets to play it. In response, he pulls the most passive aggressive move ever and sold it so now no-one plays it.

So listen, how am I the rear end in a top hat here? I’ve taken in this kid into my home (a kid who btw will receive a sizeable inheritance in a few years thanks to May’s estate). I’ve given him a home, a family and fund his lifestyle, all at the cost of my own relationship.

In return, I haven't asked for a cent, and he won’t treat me with respect nor follow my rules, but somehow, I’m the giant rear end in a top hat whose in the study typing this out instead of enjoying Christmas with my extended family.

Instead of attacking me, I’m hoping people will now give their fair opinion of the situation based on seeing both sides of the story.

The father gets as flamed as you imagine, and has this reply in the comments:

Ok, clearly this hasn’t gone down the direction I thought it would. Clearly some of you have issues with comprehension or just can’t be bothered reading my comments fully.

- I want to be clear. I NEVER threatened to collect rent from Jonah. I don’t need his part time work money or about his inheritance money. I make a very good salary, probably more than the vast majority of people who use reddit. I simply tried to explain to him that he has all this disposable income because he doesn’t have to worry about basic needs!

- I didn’t explain it properly at the time because we were arguing but my intention wasn’t for Jonah to give his PS5 to the kids permanently. I just wanted it kept in the common area until I can buy another one for the kids. Jonah never told me about the controller, if he had, of course I would have replaced it, that’s not an issue.

- I expected him to not be so selfish to his brothers. Keeping it in his room under password protection is so rude. Jonah gets home really late most days so my kids are in bed by the time he gets back.

- I won’t debate the nuances about sex and custody. I’m not an idiot. I understand perfect consent and parental responsibilities. I will just say that there is a large gap between consenting to sex vs consenting to having a child, I get that our current laws are against me on this one.

- I didn’t intend to ‘lie’ to my wife. Jonah and May were something way into the distant past for me. Our settlement agreement was very clear on that. I had absolutely zero communication with May or Jonah for at least the ten years prior to finding about her illness. My child support was at a fixed rate so I had actually paid her out a lump sum that was supposed to take care of him until 18. It wasn’t like it was getting taken out of pay every week.

- As far as I knew, I was never supposed to hear from Jonah or May ever again. Why would I tell my wife about something like that?

- Yes, Jonah is a new addition to our family. Yes, I get all of this isn’t his fault. I don’t love him yet and to be fair he hasn’t made it easy. I will try to. This poo poo takes time. You all act like it’s easy.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

quote:

I will just say that there is a large gap between consenting to sex vs consenting to having a child, I get that our current laws are against me on this one.

There’s a large gap in consenting to being raised by a massive fragile bitchmade man child.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hughlander posted:

Thought the original was posted but can't find the link for it, so sorry for this wall of text...

I was wondering why it caused a rift between the dad and stepmum, I was not expecting that he'd kept him secret from her.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Not many stories where the step parent is the one with a sense of decency when there's only 1 to go around between 2 parents. It's nice to see

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for not getting my friend a $200 gift and making her feel unloved?

quote:

My (28 M) friend (27 F) is usually a very kind person. But we recently got into a stupid argument, and I wanted to post it here.

My friend is obsessed with the five love languages. She always asks people what their love language is, and she does her best to show love by using your love language. She says that her love language is receiving gifts, so everyone should put a lot of thought into her gifts.

I thought I put a good amount of thought into her gift. She likes this one brand of artisan coffee from a local shop, so I bought her a big bag of that coffee from the store and a nice mug to go with it. It cost about $45 in total.

We did our gift exchange one week ago, and she seemed disappointed when she opened her gift. I asked her what was wrong, and she asked how much I spent on the gift. I told her the price, and she said she expected a nicer gift, preferably about $200. She said that my cheap gift meant that she felt unloved because receiving gifts is her love language.

That admittedly pissed me off. I called her selfish and materialistic and took the coffee and mug from her. I figured if she didn’t want it, she shouldn’t have it. I left without opening my gift, and now we haven’t spoken in a few days.

AITA? She clearly thinks I am, but I think she’s more of the AH here.

AITA? my (24f) roommate (23f) sets the temperature to 80 degrees f

quote:

tl;dr my roommate says i am being unfair and like the house cold when im trying to way over compromise at turning down to 77 degrees.

we are both broke and don’t have a lot of money to spend. i asked her to stop turning the heating up to 80 sometimes 84 degrees because we can’t afford that and it’s so hot i can’t stand it. she’s acting like i’m being unreasonable or an rear end in a top hat for asking to keep it at 77, even tho it’s still way too hot for me. she agreed to keep it at 77 but is constantly not honoring her promise. she sent me a long text saying she “can’t even walk around the house it’s so cold” when it’s at 77. i still feel like 80-84 is ridiculous and don’t want to turn it up for her to 80. AITA?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

My love language is severing

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It was only a matter of time before people started weaponizing love languages.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Piell posted:

AITA? my (24f) roommate (23f) sets the temperature to 80 degrees f

your roommate is an advance scout sent ahead by the lizard people invasion force

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I thought the point of gifts in a love language was giving physical items was how a person preferred to see love indicated from another person. What the gently caress is this minimum spending requirement? Shaking my head.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, you should wrap an imaginary probation and put it under the tree.

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

Piell posted:

Reddit posted:

She says that her love language is receiving gifts, so everyone should put a lot of thought into her gifts.

this is great, i wonder if the hustle works on her other friends lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My love language is acts of service, so all of you need to serve me all the time

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for requiring female staff to wear makeup as part of 'professional work attire'?

quote:

I \[33M\] have recently purchased and run a high-end bar. I want the venue to maintain a certain standard and image and therefore require my staff to wear professional work attire as the uniform. As with professional attire for most fields, this includes female staff wearing makeup. This is the image of my bar that I want my guests to experience. I see no issues with this, and when I worked hospitality when I was in my early 20's, female staff were always required to wear makeup, no dramas. I clearly communicate the acceptable uniform to my staff through the style guide I provide every few months.

"Lisa" \[22F\] has decided that because she studied a woman's course at uni she's now more 'woke' than us and has made an issue over me requiring the female staff to wear makeup and not the guys. This is quite laughable to me because obviously guys don't wear makeup for a professional uniform. Lisa on Friday night refused to wear makeup to her shift, and I had to send her home on a busy Friday night. She said it isn't fair that I have such a strict emphasis on the female uniform when the male uniform is a lot less effort – and that it's 'discriminatory'. She also said if I want the girls to spend an hour doing a full face of makeup then I can pay the girls for an extra hour and the products. I laughed in her face and told her my uniform does not differ from professional attire in any industry and it's standard for woman to wear makeup in professional environments. Furthermore, I am the owner/manager and can choose the attire my staff wear for the bar's look that I want. She said her wearing makeup does not compromise her ability to bartend and actually looks less professional when she's sweating in makeup. I told her there are bars in our city that literally have females serving in lingerie or hostesses dolled up to the 10's, and you're having a whinge about dressing professionally. Have you ever been to Vegas? Do you think those girls working hostess jobs in hospitality don't have to look a certain way for that role? I sent her home.

I was going to fire her if she did a repeat of this on Saturday, but she'd gotten all the girls to wear no makeup, and now none of them will work until I change the rules. I do need to see if I am the AH here because it's Christmas, summer, and I'm short staffed.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Hughlander posted:

AITA for requiring female staff to wear makeup as part of 'professional work attire'?

this smells way too much of bait

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
This might have been shared already but, here it is

AITA for not wanting my mentally ill sister as my bridesmaid?

quote:

My (25f) sister (27f) has severe mental health issues that have made it extraordinarily difficult for her to function. I’ve taken care of her since we were kids. Our dad had a stroke when I was 8, and my mom had to look after him until he died 11 years later. Our two brothers (40 and 42) are much older than us and busy with their jobs and their girlfriends (now wives). My family have even given me a nickname, Carer Sarah (Sarah is my name). I don’t particularly like it, but whatever. My mom is now my sister’s primary carer, but because I know her so well I’m often called to step in.

The terrible thing is, I don’t really like my sister. I think I did once, but over the years I have spent so much emotional energy on her that I’ve just burnt out. To give a flavour of what life has been like with her, she called me at 3am the night before I was due to have a hugely important interview and told me she was standing on a bridge about to jump off. I drove 4 hours to get to her and missed the interview. She seduced my boyfriend at my 16th birthday party and shouted for everyone to hear that the only reason I was born was because my mom had an abortion that went wrong. She told another boyfriend I’d cheated on him (I hadn’t). She racked up over $10k of debt on my credit card in 3 days.

I know that none of this is her fault, but all I feel towards her is apathy. It means her actions no longer hurt me. She can be so, so sweet to me sometimes, but it never lasts, and I’ve learned not to like or dislike her, just to endure her. I’ve never, ever told anyone that, and our whole family are under the impression that I love her dearly because of how much I’ve done for her over the years.

Two years ago I met the love of my life and we’re getting married next year. The truth is, I don’t even really want my sister there at all. I can’t think of a single event centred on me that hasn’t been in some way disrupted by her.

I can’t not invite her, so instead I want her to be just a regular guest. This also means it will be easier for my mom to keep an eye on her, because if she’s my bridesmaid I know I’ll end up doing it. And I want my bridesmaids to be people I actually love, who love me too, and will make my day easier. My cousins on both sides all had their sisters as bridesmaids, so I’m going against family tradition here.

My mom and brothers are shocked, and say it’s extremely damaging for my sister to be rejected like this. One of my brothers says I'm being ableist. My mom says she always thought that one day when she’s too old to take care of my sister and I’ve worked for a few years that I would look after her full time (this was news to me), but now she’s not so sure.

All this has made me feel bad for my sister, and I’m close to giving in. But if I do, it won’t be because I want to. So, looking for honest opinions here. AITA for not having my sister as my bridesmaid?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hughlander posted:

Are men required to be meticulously groomed, hair eyebrows beard etc, wear concealer to hide blemishes and toner to smooth out their skin complexion? No? Wow who could've guessed.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

trickybiscuits posted:

AITA for not wanting my mentally ill sister as my bridesmaid?

I was assuming Down's/Autism from the title, but the post makes me think more along the lines of bipolar/narcissistic. Either way sounds like her family is full of people that don't really care about the OP and only remain friendly so they won't have to take care of her sister.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for not watching my daughter while my wife visited the doctor?

quote:

I M32 am the sole income earner in our household and my wife is a sahm (she had a job but could no longer keep it due to health problems). We have a year daughter at home as well.

Eversince I started working from home my wife started treating me as if I was available to do whatever she needed me to do like fix the faucet or deal with leaking roof. But I work long hours from home and I need to be comitted and professional otherwise I'd risk losing my position.

She interrupted my work several times already. I had a conversation with her about it and asked that she stop asking me to do things until I'm done working and she said okay but it happened again days ago when she barged into my office with our daughter all of a sudden telling me to keep an eye on her while she visit the clininc. I paused my work session because I was caught off guard she didn't tell me beforehand. She said that she suddenly started feeling pain in her belly and needed to see the doctor asap. I explained that I had important work and could not stay with our daughter or keep her in the office while working. She said she won't be long but I urged her to call her sister and let her come stay with our daughter. In my opinion this seemed to be the one reasonable solution for both of us but she lashed out at me saying no because this was an emergency while my work could wait. She saidshe had no time to wait til her sister come over but I said I'd call her myself and tell her to come. I even suggested I pay here and all my wife had to do was wait few minutes til her sister arrived.

She stormed out of the office with our daughter after calling me a selfish jerk with no empathy to keep her waiting longer before visiting the doctor. My sister in law came some 20 minutes later and my wife left then. I tried calling her to check on her but she purposely hung up on me few times and when she got home she was still pretty pissed at me which I don't get because I think that I provided a solution that allowed her to go to her dr appointment and allowed me to resume my work session but no, she kept talking about what a horrible partner and father I was to refuse to provide help when she needed it and refused to sympathize with her difficult situation and making her wait for her sister when she needed to see the doctor asap. She's now refusing to speak to me altogether. I think my compromise was reasonable, I don't really get why she got so mad over it.

was i ta?

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Chloe Jessica posted:

AITA for causing my aunt to divorce her husband?

My father (who's now 70 years old) was the one who washed the dishes and vacuumed the house regularly when I was growing up, so these stories about modern men who refuse to so much as scrub a countertop or boil some water are so alien to me.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

value-brand cereal posted:

I thought the point of gifts in a love language was giving physical items was how a person preferred to see love indicated from another person. What the gently caress is this minimum spending requirement? Shaking my head.

Yeah this is a new twist on manipulating the love languages to suit your needs, but not surprising. I also recently learned that poo poo is all connected to conservative Christianity and so is born of brain worms. The book it's based from has stories like recommending a wife open herself up sexually to her husband with no restrictions since that's his love language lol

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Anyway it just seems like another way of saying 'figure out what people like, cater to that and be a people pleaser, and people will like you', like yeh no poo poo Sherlock

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Hughlander posted:

The "I don't love him yet" line made me see bright red, gently caress you jack off it's a 15 year old kid who lost his loving mom step up and be a loving parent you shithead

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hughlander posted:

The top comment on this is magnificent.

quote:

Of course YTA. But let's recap:

You: I want all the women in full face makeup and here are my other requirements.

Lisa: You can't be serious. You know this isn't the 1980s, right?

You: Look, this is what I'm used to and what I want.

Lisa: It's sexist.

You: Haha how is it sexist? Only women wear makeup.

Lisa: OK I don't think that word means what you think it means.

You: Just wear the makeup.

Lisa: Are you willing to pay us for the supplies and the time it will take to apply every night?

You: Haha no these feminine mysteries happen magically with no effort; everyone knows that.

Lisa: No.

You: Be glad I'm not forcing you to be a sex worker!

Lisa: WTF dude.

You: You're fi-

Female staff: We're not following these antiquated and ridiculous rules. None of us.

You: Seriously? None of you want to return to the 50s??? What's wrong with you all?

Female staff: And we're not coming back to work until you get a clue.

You: But it's Christmas!

Reddit: Haha you're short-staffed at Christmas and you're an arsehole! Even Santa is laughing at you.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeah this is a new twist on manipulating the love languages to suit your needs, but not surprising. I also recently learned that poo poo is all connected to conservative Christianity and so is born of brain worms. The book it's based from has stories like recommending a wife open herself up sexually to her husband with no restrictions since that's his love language lol

It's all for people who can't grasp the concept of 'be respectful and communicate' and need that translated into rules which their narcacissm causes them to misinterpret.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

My love language is severing

Lmfao

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

JackSplater posted:

I was assuming Down's/Autism from the title, but the post makes me think more along the lines of bipolar/narcissistic. Either way sounds like her family is full of people that don't really care about the OP and only remain friendly so they won't have to take care of her sister.

She mentions delusions and hallucinations in comments. Maybe a particularly malicious schizophrenic.

also lol "Well fine, if you're gonna be like that, you won't be saddled with her care forevermore! This is a punishment!"

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
Guess the age.

AITA for telling my Mom my autistic brother d[b]efinitely knows about sex, and I know because I've shared an apartment with him?

quote:

Not the A-hole

I didn't mean to upset anyone, but it was so ridiculous to me when she said he didn't understand about that stuff that it just kind of came out, I mean for a while there his his room might as well have had a revolving door. And I don't think it's so surprising, sure he's autistic but he's got hormones like the rest of us and it's not like he's Rain Man, he doesn't have mental retardation. He maybe doesn't come across as 'normal' but he's funny and smart and kind, easily as much as most 'normal' people, plus even though it's hard for me to judge as his brother it seems like people consider him handsome.

In case anyone is wondering this came up because he's wanting to bring someone home for Christmas, which is the first time he's done that, so we were talking about it when I visited. It honestly hadn't occurred to me that she would be surprised, but she got this look on his face and now Dad is saying I didn't need to tell her that. I think better me than they get here and he gets pissed because Mom's put them in separate rooms because she doesn't think her 30 year old son understands sex.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for telling my husband his mother cannot live with us?

quote:

I (F46) and husband (M40) have been together for 10 years and married for 3 of those 10 years. His mother lives in another state with 7 dogs that are not vaccinated and vetted. She is also a hoarder that lives in conditions that no person should. Due to some recent health issues, my husband would feel more comfortable if she lives with us or at least closer so that he can help care for her should her health decline further. When he brought up the question of how I felt about her living with us, I said that she was more than welcome but , she would not be allowed to bring her 7 large breed dogs with her. I compromised and said that she could of course bring her service dog, but if she wasn’t vetted recently I would find a vet to see her before she moved down to ensure the safety of the dogs we currently have. He said that I was insensitive to even suggest that she not bring her other animals. I tried explaining as delicately as I could that his mother doesn’t care for animals in the same manner that do. Vetting them, letting them outside to play and do their business, enrichment activities, etc and that having an additional 7 dogs to the 3 that we have would mean I would be the one caring for them. He is furious with me and hasn’t spoken to me in 2 days. AITA?

Edit: When he told me he will not tell her to re-home 6 of the 7 dogs. I told him she cannot live with us.

I am asking if my mother, the hoarder who has 7 untrained dogs, can move in with us. Oh? You set conditions? Actually, I wasn't asking and I am going to sulk until you say yes.

AITA for driving my girlfriend’s sports car to meet an investor?

quote:

I (24m) have been dating her (24f) for 2 years. We live together. Her parents are very rich. They bought her a sports car for her last birthday.

I had a meeting with an investor yesterday. It was scheduled for 10. My girlfriend doesn’t work on Saturdays. She was sleeping when I left. I initially planned on taking a taxi to the location but felt like my girlfriend’s sports car would make a better impression on the investor. She didn’t have work either so I assumed she wouldn’t need it until I returned.

The meeting went great and I’m certain the sports car helped. My girlfriend wasn’t home when I returned 2 hours later. I checked my phone and there were 6 missed calls from her. She was very angry when I called her back. She flipped out on me for driving her car without asking her. She said she wanted to meet her friend at 11 and had to take a taxi because of me. I told her I didn’t want to disturb her as she was sleeping when I left and that my meeting was way more important than her's. She's still angry at me. I think she’s overreacting. AITA?

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 19, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
/r/relationships: nickname, Carer Sarah (Sarah is my name).

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

kimbo305 posted:

/r/relationships: nickname, Carer Sarah (Sarah is my name).

Story gains a certain tinge when you assume those rhyme to the speaker.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Sarer, don't even bovvah wif mindin yas sista anymore, aroight?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kimbo305 posted:

Sarer, don't even bovvah wif mindin yas sista anymore, aroight?

I was thinking more "Caruh Saruh."

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for driving my girlfriend’s sports car to meet an investor?

I took my gf's expensive sports car without her knowledge and now she's pissed. How do I convince her its not a problem and won't ever happen again? (It'll for sure happen again.)

loving lol. I hope that investor was worth it because it probably cost him his gf.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

JackSplater posted:

Ding ding. I'm almost 100% certain it's this or maybe histrionic personality disorder, though the "standing on a bridge at 3am and calling someone" is way too on the nose, as this happened to me almost to a T with my first girlfriend, who had undiagnosed BPD. Some people with BPD are fairly good at acting in socially desirable ways for short amounts of time, though (like restaurant visits, graduation ceremonies, job interviews), but in this particular case I wouldn't bet on it due to the twisted nature of the elder sister's relationship with her younger, caretaking sister.

I don't know what the current state of personality psychology is, but I remember reading that BPD and NPD are, in fact, related outcomes of a similar root problem.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

AITA for arranging for my wife's parents to spend Christmas celebration with us without telling her?

quote:

I (M, 27) have been married to my wife (F, 26) for 2 years and we're expecting a baby boy together. My wife has been no contact with her parent because of issues that occured between them during her teeange years. She said it was because of the way they treated her late boyfriend and their 7 year old son. She stopped seeing them after she moved out with my stepson but she went back to introduce me and things were fine til a little before we got married. My wife went no contact after she claimed my mother inlaw stole all her wedding jewelry and sold it. Now I'm not sure if that was accurate or just an excusey wife used to get me to stop asking.

Few months ago my mother inlaw as well as other family members reached out to me and we had conversations (without my wife) about how innocent my mother inlaw was and was falsely accused by my wife to get back at her for past issues. I really felt she was sincere especially after she said she wished my wife would give her another chance. I had an idea which was that I invite my inlaws over to celebrate Christmas with me and my wife and hopefully talk things out once and for all. I didn't tell my wife because I didn't want her stressing over the gathering but days ago I came home and she began yelling at me asking what I was thinking to invite her bullies and enemies to our Christmas celebration. I tried to explain that her parents are very sincere in wanting to start new with the baby coming but she yelled that they didn't even treat my stepson or his fathee well and don't deserve to be near the kids and said I needed to cancel immediately. I suggested she calm down first and we'll talk but she refused and packed her stuff and went to stay with a friend repeatedly saying I disrespected her and ignored her decision when it came to her family. I spoke to her friend and said maybe my wife shoupd let bygones be bygones and yes she might be dealing with stress and is lashing out for no reason but her friend said I overstepped and it wasn't my business to try and fix whatever issue she has with her family and told me to back down and cancel the invite since my wife said she won't be there but I think she is holding on to grudgets and being bitter instead of settling things down with her family.

AITA?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Guess the age.

AITA for telling my Mom my autistic brother d[b]efinitely knows about sex, and I know because I've shared an apartment with him?

Nailed it lmao

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for arranging for my wife's parents to spend Christmas celebration with us without telling her?

Even better than inviting some randoms they don't know, invite people they actively hate and avoid

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

limp_cheese posted:

I took my gf's expensive sports car without her knowledge and now she's pissed. How do I convince her its not a problem and won't ever happen again?

Well, obviously by telling her what you wanted it for was way more important than what she wanted it for. She needs to understand that!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Thank gently caress she found out before they showed up on the day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Dude thinks his wife would lie about how she lost her wedding jewelry and doesn't trust a single judgment she makes. Why the gently caress is he married to her if he thinks that poo poo about her? He doesn't sound like he likes her, much less loves her, he sounds like she's a particularly unruly child that he hates but has to care for.

(he is obviously a shitter, I just can't even figure this out from his shitter POV)