Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'm amazed that so many people have quoted that post without commenting that, the way it's phrased, it implies that the default assumption is that everyone getting an anime out on time is treating their workers really well.

It's a very weird way of phrasing things, is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think I've lost track of the discussion and how it relates to 86, I certainly hope the current studio isn't overworking the workers and the 2-3 skipped weeks so far has resulted in the animators being overworked far less than they would otherwise.

I would also certainly be okay with much less anime being produced each year if it meant significantly better working conditions.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I'd be willing to bet it would result in significantly better anime too, because people are more willing to take risks or add an extra layer of polish when they aren't being crunched. Plus I'd wager that the anime we would lose would be the bottom 20% of trash rather than the good stuff.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Talorat posted:

I'd be willing to bet it would result in significantly better anime too, because people are more willing to take risks or add an extra layer of polish when they aren't being crunched. Plus I'd wager that the anime we would lose would be the bottom 20% of trash rather than the good stuff.

Hardly.

When you reduce output, it doesn't mean that you get to pick and choose the best of the best. It means people eliminate risk. So, the endless stream of isekai crap, that stays, because you've got a guaranteed market, a pre-existing supply of source material to simplify production, and big companies bankrolling them.

Shows like Odd Taxi, meanwhile? They don't get made, because giving a first time director who mostly worked on commercials and a first time tv scriptwriter free reign to make pseudo-noir about a walrus who drives a taxi is all kinds of risky.

I'm not arguing against improved conditions. Studios like KyoAni show that it can produce absolutely gorgeous work in addition to the obvious being-a-good-thing-in-general. But this idea that having less shows means having better shows is based on a lot of faulty assumptions.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

MAPPA makes some of the best looking anime around and iirc they pretty recently had some big news story about how their working conditions were even worse than industry standard

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I think Eighty Six made by A1 Studios

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Speaking of, what is A1 studio culture like? Like my understanding is that they had the least identity of any studio. Everywhere else, MAPPA, KyoAni, Bones, Saru, PA, Shaft, they usually had a core staff of directors and production and animators alongside a revolving cast of freelancers. A1's reputation was that their core was tiny and they leaned far more towards freelancers.

Has that changed? Is that still the case? Because A1 over the years has appeared to have accrued a style of their own.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Phobophilia posted:

Speaking of, what is A1 studio culture like? Like my understanding is that they had the least identity of any studio. Everywhere else, MAPPA, KyoAni, Bones, Saru, PA, Shaft, they usually had a core staff of directors and production and animators alongside a revolving cast of freelancers. A1's reputation was that their core was tiny and they leaned far more towards freelancers.

Has that changed? Is that still the case? Because A1 over the years has appeared to have accrued a style of their own.

My understanding is that nowadays, most anime studios aren't actually studios that retain a roster of fulltime animators and staff. It's more that they have a small roster of fulltime producers, who then contract a bunch of freelance animators. Only a small handful of studios nowadays are actually studios with fulltime animators as their employees, such as Sunrise, Toei, Bones, and Ufotable.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Moofia Boss Val posted:

My understanding is that nowadays, most anime studios aren't actually studios that retain a roster of fulltime animators and staff. It's more that they have a small roster of fulltime producers, who then contract a bunch of freelance animators. Only a small handful of studios nowadays are actually studios with fulltime animators as their employees, such as Sunrise, Toei, Bones, and Ufotable.

MAPPA actually announced they're building a new studio for fulltimers, with pay good enough to live on for even entry level animators. It's part of the big push around Chainsaw Man.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Moofia Boss Val posted:

IIRC maybe there's some that are like that, there is a core of full time staff, they just to varying degrees rely on free lancing and outsourcing.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Just three unaired episodes left.

Stuff we learned this episode:
No radio comms from San Magnolia since at least the Morpho attack 2 months ago.
Giad has a plan to pull off two faints to draw the Legion forces away from where the Morpho has stopped and will push forward to try and link up with the 86 after they take out the Morpho, however they're over 120 kilometers away from them and more than a day away even if they did a night march. Prospects for reaching them even if the mission is successful aren't good.
The 86 have at best a day's fighting supplies left, but expect to have enough to reach Morpho, as to holding out until can reach them after that, or making their way back to Giad on their own... well....
Shin and Frederica had some time to bond with their shared lack of ambition outside of killing their brother/knight.
Frederica savages Kurnena by stating out loud that Shin thinks of her as a little sister and not as a love interest.

Not an action heavy episode, but I didn't see any signs of poor quality in the production.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 18, 2021

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Starting to think this Shin guy has some issues.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
A lot of framing characters inside fences/windows this episode.

That long pan back along ground level was pretty sweet.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Such a great series.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mordja posted:

Starting to think this Shin guy has some issues.

What? Shin? But he has such a happy smile!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The LN has a helpful map of the pursuit of the Morpho that we're past now in order to give you a better grasp of where everything is. Put in spoilers just for folks who want a pure anime experience, but there's nothing here which hasn't been revealed already now.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 19, 2021

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nitrousoxide posted:

Just three unaired episodes left.

No radio comms from San Magnolia since at least the Morpho attack 2 months ago.
Giad has a plan to pull off two faints to draw the Legion forces away from where the Morpho has stopped and will push forward to try and link up with the 86 after they take out the Morpho, however they're over 120 kilometers away from them and more than a day away even if they did a night march. Prospects for reaching them even if the mission is successful aren't good.
The 86 have at best a day's fighting supplies left, but expect to have enough to reach Morpho, as to holding out until can reach them after that, or making their way back to Giad on their own... well....
Shin and Frederica had some time to bond with their shared lack of ambition outside of killing their brother/knight.
Frederica savages Kurnena by stating out loud that Shin thinks of her as a little sister and not as a love interest.

Not an action heavy episode, but I didn't see any signs of poor quality in the production.

About that:

https://twitter.com/SugoiLITE/status/1472240167754735620

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I saw that earlier, but I've not seen any corroboration from an official source so I didn't feel it reliable enough to post.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nitrousoxide posted:

Anju's reaction to this was quite good.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Nothing happened this episode. Could've been skipped entirely.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Nothing happened this post. Could’ve been skipped entirely.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Moofia Boss Val posted:

The episode setup the stakes for our protagonists for this operation, and showed how they look to be in a doomed situation, even if they succeed in their operational goals in taking out the Morpho.
It also spent time with our team as they come to grips with this, and they wax on what they would have liked to do if they survived the war (they would like to the ocean).
It has also setup a ticking bomb as the Morpho readies itself for additional bombardment on the human territories, our heroes don't have much time left to stop the Legion artillery.
Frederica again tries to reach out to Shin to give him something to relate to, but his depression appears to be insurmountable as he fears being left behind again by everyone he's cared for.
We also learn that the one woman he might have cared for, Lena, is probably dead along with the rest of the San Magnolia population as Giad hasn't even picked up any radio communications from them. This does nothing to improve his mood.
It also laid out Giad's last-ditch plan to save the 86 even as they drive deeper into legion territory on their death march to save humanity from the rail gun.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

*shrug*

I don't consider people standing around and talking about feelings to be plot.

The plot is about trying to stop the Legion. We've had very little of that this season. We had 5 minutes of them chasing after and fighting the doomsday machine and that was it. Back to standing around and talking.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Moofia Boss Val posted:

*shrug*

The plot is about trying to stop the Legion. We've had very little of that this season. We had 5 minutes of them chasing after and fighting the doomsday machine and that was it. Back to standing around and talking.

"Why the gently caress haven't they killed the whale yet?"

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

[distant voice from the kids table in the next room]

*shrug*

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Moofia Boss Val posted:

*shrug*

????
This isn't a history book that tells the story of the overall troop movements that ultimately lead to victory/defeat. It's called "Eighty-Six" and is the story of a group of abandoned and discriminated against child soldiers as they attempt to survive in a genocidal war by robots. The story is the 86's journey here. The robot war is the setting.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

The poster and the trailer promised that this would be about the humans blowing up robots. I thought "86" was just the name of the hero groups that would do it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Moofia Boss Val posted:

*shrug*

I'm very sorry that the show is not the Saturday morning cartoon for 6 year olds that you wanted.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Moofia Boss Val posted:

The poster and the trailer promised that this would be about the humans blowing up robots. I thought "86" was just the name of the hero groups that would do it.

Then why are you still watching it after the first episode? Clearly it's not that.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Nitrousoxide posted:

????
This isn't a history book that tells the story of the overall troop movements that ultimately lead to victory/defeat. It's called "Eighty-Six" and is the story of a group of abandoned and discriminated against child soldiers as they attempt to survive in a genocidal war by robots. The story is the 86's journey here. The robot war is the setting.
This season's failure to live up to that has been its biggest problem, honestly. There've been a whole lot of expository conversations between tertiary characters, mostly military commanders. Compare the first season, where the same type of information was delivered through conversations between Jerome and Vladlena, the co-protagonist and antagonist.

All that said, this episode was fine. Unlike the endless military briefings we've had to suffer through up to this point, its base conversations were personal to the speakers and directly relevant to the main cast, and they occupied like 3-4 minutes total.

Sleng Teng posted:

Nothing happened this post. Could’ve been skipped entirely.

Sleng Teng posted:

[distant voice from the kids table in the next room]

*shrug*

These posts made me roll my eyes harder than the ones they quoted. more broadly, idk why like 3 different people are rushing in to get lazy dunks on one person's bad argument; it just makes that argument the topic of the thread when we could be talking about literally anything else. why not let one person address it and move on?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Elephant Parade posted:

These posts made me roll my eyes harder than the ones they quoted. more broadly, idk why like 3 different people are rushing in to get lazy dunks on one person's bad argument; it just makes that argument the topic of the thread when we could be talking about literally anything else. why not let one person address it and move on?

Probably because he keeps bringing it up, thus preventing moving on.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Supremezero posted:

Probably because he keeps bringing it up, thus preventing moving on.
That's a rationale for one person to keep arguing with him if they want to, not for additional people to continue clogging the thread with unfunny riffs.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Elephant Parade posted:

right back at you - like grandstanding about the Ideals of Posting isn't completely tiresome on this board. if it sucks to be about that then don't continue it with commentary on that!

Anyway this episode was on the slow side but fine regardless - skippable is way too far

E. nvm this part

Sleng Teng fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 19, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'd just say that by now you should be expecting this to be a series to that explores the effects war has on the soldiers that fight it, and should not be surprised when it takes a break from the action to revisit it.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Kind of amazing that we have a poster who is literally the guy going "wow cool robot" as the gundam shoots a message over his head

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

chiasaur11 posted:

"Why the gently caress haven't they killed the whale yet?"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ok fredericka's kinda cool

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

So, now that I can do this without having to put all the pictures in spoilers due to my personal 24 hour rule, I really liked the symbolism in this episode.

The talk between Raiden and Shin was chock full of it. They used the tracks to help tell the story.
Shin's tracks here are shown branching off from the rest of the group:

Raiden states he doesn't want to die and accuses Shin of not really wanting to live. The frame shifts to to showing the tracks in the background in focus rather than the two characters. Raiden's tracks lead back to Giad and safety, while Shin's are a dead end.

This shot where Raiden's talking about how they'll support shin uses the shadows, where he is facing Shin, confronting him, to give the silhouette of the two of them looking off into the sunset, with him holding Shin's shoulder in support instead.

There is also the shot showing their direction of travel, back west, where they came from in San Magnolia, with a stopped clock. It's almost like nothing has changed after all this time!

In the scene leading up to where Kurena gets savaged by Frederica, Kurena is shown as separate from the rest of the group, as if looking at Shin through a window, while the rest of them have a more unfettered view of him.

If you were curious, the shots of the ants eating the other insect were of a dead Morpho butterfly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morpho
Specifically Morpho peleides
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morpho_peleides

There is, of course he shot of the "sea" where shin is the only one not participating in talk about what they'd do after the war, and is kept apart from them in the shot. Even his buddy Fido is on the right side.

Shin isn't even in many of the shots, despite being there.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Dec 20, 2021

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Yeah a lot of those things in this episode! Most weren’t exactly subtle but it was fun.

Random, the pont du bleu sign made me wonder, I think we’ve seen shots of writing in this show by characters but it was fake/random script. Am I misremembering or is that the first shot of a real world-or-adjacent language in this show

E: actually I think we’ve seen a bunch more signs in towns and such, but I guess maybe I’m thinking about Lena’s journal now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
shin's description of his feelings is pretty blatantly anhedonia and will be brutally familiar to people who live with depression or PTSD, among other disorders.