Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

galenanorth posted:

rewatching Avatar the Last Airbender, which I first watched it about four or five years ago before the Blu-Ray edition came out. There are a lot of good moments I might've missed the first time around, like the moment in "The Warriors of Kyoshi" where someone in a crowd foams and faints at the mouth at Aang's airbending trick where he floats a marble between his palms and moves it in a circle, and the transition between a villager telling a fisherman the Avatar has arrived on Kyoshi Island, the fisherman telling a fish seller, the fish the fish seller telling a Fire Nation cook, and the cook telling Zuko and Iroh.

I loved the callback to foamy where they return to Kyoshi island, the guy foams again but then realises Aang isn't with them and just recovers immediately, embarrassed. Also Kyoshi was the best avatar because she was a total badass. "Oh, cool, Kyoshi's here to defend herself and explain the real story behind the murder charge!" "Yeah, I murdered the fucker. He was an rear end in a top hat" "uhhhh... not quite the defense we expected..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

About a week ago I started once again what's essentially become a semi-annual ritual of watching through all of Gargoyles(well at least through Season 2 anyways) and just finished Season 1 and yeah it's still overall really good even if the two episodes involving The Pack* are probably it's weakest in terms of writing(not helped their debut episode being one of the few times that Gargoyles being set in the 90's feels dated rather than how it usually feels like it aged relatively gracefully into a period piece, and their second one not only having the incredibly toyetic plot tumor of the Pack Helicopter and it being then turned into a Gargoyles Helicopter but also the fact that Derek Masa in that episode kind of comes off as an obnoxious chode) and Macbeth's debut episode being infamous for how badly animated it is(including some very blatant recycling of pitch reel and test pilot animation)

*it really doesn't help that in their two season 1 appearances and in their first season 2 appearance(the season premiere "The Leader of The Pack") The Pack don't really come across as being remotely resembling a real threat at all outside of Coyote, it's not really till they get upgraded later in the season that they become anything worth mentioning

heh. funny you say this cause i too was planning on doing a gargoyles rewatch, which also used to be a an annual thing for me (granted, this is a tradition i haven't done in quite the long time for a few reasons).

the last time i saw it, i thought it held up pretty well overall minus the final season, the Goliath Chronicles. I used to think those episodes were good (or at least decent) back in the day, but they're pretty hard to watch now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

I loved the callback to foamy where they return to Kyoshi island, the guy foams again but then realises Aang isn't with them and just recovers immediately, embarrassed. Also Kyoshi was the best avatar because she was a total badass. "Oh, cool, Kyoshi's here to defend herself and explain the real story behind the murder charge!" "Yeah, I murdered the fucker. He was an rear end in a top hat" "uhhhh... not quite the defense we expected..."

And then in the finale again with Kiyoshi, "Hmm, what would Avatar Kiyoshi do about Fire Lord Ozai?" "I'd just kill the prick, why is this so hard for you kid?" "...I don't know what I expected." :)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1470590730024280073

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

wait, the series never had a dvd release until now?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's had a few but often very lacking in features and often whatever two bit behind-the-couch masters DIC had at time of poke ala ADV's old Sailor Moon release.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

No Jaleel White commentary? I’m out.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I am disappointed. I thought this was the one with Sally Acorn and the Freedom Fighters.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think the one thing in Centaurworld overall that I took umbrage with was right at the end where horse tries to explain the situation top Rider and she blows her off because she doesn't want to believe it with "You're just a horse". That was a pretty lovely thing to say in any context especially knowing how far she'd come by then. Horse would have been well within her rights to be all like "I'm sorry bitch, did you just spend 6 hours trapped in his backstory? You think you know him better than I do?" I can only assume at some point during the ending sequence they had a major talk about that while Rider was recovering from injuries she got because she ignored her advice.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We’ve got some more casting information on the Netflix Avatar series, apparently Suki will have a mom in this one:

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/avatar-the-last-airbender-azula-suki-kyoshi-1235134973/

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

We’ve got some more casting information on the Netflix Avatar series, apparently Suki will have a mom in this one:

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/avatar-the-last-airbender-azula-suki-kyoshi-1235134973/

Not gonna lie, Suki's mom being the mayor of Kiyoshi Island has the potential to be funny as poo poo.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The fact that Suki has a mom in this one seems to imply that this won’t just be a straight live action remake of the cartoon and there will be a bit of original content as well (which could be neat if done right).

Hope the special effects are better than the movie at the very least (which isn’t exactly a high bar to clear to be fair)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well we pretty much knew they'd be changing a decent bit from what Michael+Bryan (original show creators) said when they cut ties with the Netflix version.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True, though time will tell whether said changes wind up being for the better or not.

I’m also curious when the original creators plan to start on some of those other Avatar related projects that got mentioned a while back.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Larryb posted:

I’m also curious when the original creators plan to start on some of those other Avatar related projects that got mentioned a while back.

They're actively being worked on now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jassa posted:

They're actively being worked on now.

Neat, has any info been released yet?

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Larryb posted:

Neat, has any info been released yet?

Nope. This is just something I heard in passing from one of the production staff (I forget his name) who recently appeared on the Braving the Elements podcast. All he could confirm was that work was progressing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In addition to AOSTH, apparently the Sonic Boom cartoon is also getting a complete series release:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=29818

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Can we please get SatAM next so I can own it without that terrible Penders cover art?

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
Just finished Centaurworld. The whole show was bonkers and the finale was crazier than anything I could have imagined. I know the story is wrapped up but I can't help but wonder what other stories could be done in this setting.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I’ve had the Nowhere King’s lullaby in my head for a week now. His backstory had some serious black metal poo poo going on, drat.

root beer fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 20, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

I’ve had the Nowhere King’s lullaby in my head for a week now. His backstory had some serious black metal poo poo going on, drat.

Me too but specifically the final version as The Woman excecuted him. The voice of Lea Salonga and the amount of pathos put into it, goddamn.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 20, 2021

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
My nieces and nephew put on the Elf on the Shelf advertisement and in addition to all the insipid bits, the animation was *incredibly* janky.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So a list of the 25 most watched animated shows on Disney+ in 2021 just came out and most of it isn't surprising(Simpsons at #1, most of the rest of the list being either still ongoing properties or are things like Star Wars or Phineas & Ferb)

What was surprising is that American Dragon Jake Long of all shows managed to make the list at #20(placing ahead of Owl House, The Ghost & Molly McGee, and Amphibia), which makes it one of the only shows to make the list that's older than 2010*(alongside Simpsons, P&F, and The Clone Wars) and one of only 2 that are both older than that year aren't an acquisition from Disney buying out another company(the other being P&F)

Other noticeable things are that Star Wars is still doing well in animation having 4 shows make the roster(with two in the top ten), Marvel surprisingly only having two shows make the list(What If and that one preschool Spider-Man show, though both are in the top ten), and Mickey Mouse clearly having more cultural relevance than he's had in decades considering he's got 5 shows on the list with two in the top 10(including the Paul Rudish Mickey Mouse shorts as one of those two), also that the only two shows to make the top ten without being a major pre-established franchise both being about dogs(Bluey and some other show I'm unfamiliar with) is a funny coincidence

*selecting that year mostly because I'm too lazy to look up every show on the list to select a more recent cutoff date

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, have Amphibia and/or Owl House formally ended yet (and if so was it a satisfactory one)? I was thinking of finally getting around to watching them soon.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, have Amphibia and/or Owl House formally ended yet (and if so was it a satisfactory one)? I was thinking of finally getting around to watching them soon.

Amphibia has half a season left. Owl House has half a season and three specials left.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Larryb posted:

Owl House is currently on hiatus but still has half a season and a couple of specials left. My guess is it'll be finished by late 2022 (maybe first half of 2023).

I don't know much about Amphibia but I don't think it's finished yet.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

drrockso20 posted:

So a list of the 25 most watched animated shows on Disney+ in 2021 just came out and most of it isn't surprising(Simpsons at #1, most of the rest of the list being either still ongoing properties or are things like Star Wars or Phineas & Ferb)

What was surprising is that American Dragon Jake Long of all shows managed to make the list at #20(placing ahead of Owl House, The Ghost & Molly McGee, and Amphibia), which makes it one of the only shows to make the list that's older than 2010*(alongside Simpsons, P&F, and The Clone Wars) and one of only 2 that are both older than that year aren't an acquisition from Disney buying out another company(the other being P&F)

Other noticeable things are that Star Wars is still doing well in animation having 4 shows make the roster(with two in the top ten), Marvel surprisingly only having two shows make the list(What If and that one preschool Spider-Man show, though both are in the top ten), and Mickey Mouse clearly having more cultural relevance than he's had in decades considering he's got 5 shows on the list with two in the top 10(including the Paul Rudish Mickey Mouse shorts as one of those two), also that the only two shows to make the top ten without being a major pre-established franchise both being about dogs(Bluey and some other show I'm unfamiliar with) is a funny coincidence

*selecting that year mostly because I'm too lazy to look up every show on the list to select a more recent cutoff date

Jake Long showing up there is interesting, I never really gave that show a second thought. Without any news of a sequel or reboot or anything like that, what's made it so popular? Was Disney heavily promoting it this year? Is it just a good show that's been largely overlooked?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

I'm not surprised those are the only 2 Marvel shows on the list. There's nothing new really on D+ (newest I can find is the 2017 Spider-Man cartoon which released new episodes last year) and IMHO Disney haven't really made a Marvel cartoon that rose above average in years. I'm interested to see when/if they make a new cartoon how it will do since we're now drowning in superhero media. In a pre-streaming landscape, you had to take what you could get but now if a kid likes Spider-Man they have literal decades of material to watch. The new stuff will either have to be drat good to get eyes... or it'll have to be more *~MCU~* stuff which is a siren call to get adults to watch regardless of quality (I thought What If was just alright HOT TAKE).

Seeing all the Mickey Mouse stuff made me think that I'm kind of surprised DuckTales didn't make the list. I know it was in its last days in 2021 but it was really popular. I suppose it did end in March though, so it shouldn't be too shocking.

Pakled posted:

Jake Long showing up there is interesting, I never really gave that show a second thought. Without any news of a sequel or reboot or anything like that, what's made it so popular? Was Disney heavily promoting it this year? Is it just a good show that's been largely overlooked?

I never really watched it so I can't speak to its quality, but I do know that Disney was pretty heavily promoting it back then iirc, so that puts it at just the right time to now have a whole fanbase of nostalgic 20-somethings with D+ subscriptions rewatching it regardless of whether it was good or not.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 22, 2021

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Yeah, I imagine it's just a matter of nostalgia watching with maybe a touch of international interest since it's an Asian-American lead

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Probably shows up in recommendations for people watching other shows since it overlaps with many of Disney's other TV shows

Also I bet more than a few people watched Lilo & Stitch: The Series on Disney+ and got intrigued by it after it had its crossover episode

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

drrockso20 posted:

Probably shows up in recommendations for people watching other shows since it overlaps with many of Disney's other TV shows

Also I bet more than a few people watched Lilo & Stitch: The Series on Disney+ and got intrigued by it after it had its crossover episode

That show had tons of crossovers, including with Recess which iirc was already finished at that point. Some of the animation styles don't quite gel.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

TwoPair posted:

I'm interested to see when/if they make a new cartoon how it will do since we're now drowning in superhero media.

We do have this coming up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao4jeqay9PY

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That show had tons of crossovers, including with Recess which iirc was already finished at that point. Some of the animation styles don't quite gel.

Recess had been finished for several years by that point in fact, main reason it happened was because the two shows shared a lot of staff

Also yeah the style clashes in those crossover episodes are prime examples of why I'm of the opinion that if you do a crossover between two or more cartoons with noticeably different styles and the clashing styles aren't meant to be part of the gag(like say the Johnny Bravo/Scooby-Doo episode or pretty much every crossover episode Teen Titans Go did, or even Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse) then you should really just pick one show's style(usually the "host" series) and draw everyone in that one style even if that does mean more work on the artist's end

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Which season? (I'm kidding because I can't imagine either meshing with Recess but every time I think of American Dragon the one thing that instantly jumps to mind is the radical art style shift between seasons)

Oh yeah, totally forgot about that. Animation looks neat, I'll give it that.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 22, 2021

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
My best guess re: Jake Long is that it's a show that had some plot arcs and a real-ish ending, but which aired really irregularly at the time, so it's nostalgic twentysomethings going back to see how it all resolved.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
:siren:Hi All. Just jumping in the thread to remind everyone that our 2021 edition of the TVIV Poll is now open for submissions. We'd love to hear about your favourite shows of the year, and you might discover a new favourite while you're there. You can find the 10th Annual TVIV Viewers Poll there.

Didn't watch much 2021 TV? Never fear! To celebrate the fact that the poll has been going for 10 years, we're also running a Best TV shows of the last decade poll as well. Whether you lament the current TV landscape, just don't have time to watch much TV these days, or just love talking about your favourite shows, please jump in the thread and provide your lists.

The more people we have participating, the better it is for everyone! Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions.
:siren:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

DoctorWhat posted:

My best guess re: Jake Long is that it's a show that had some plot arcs and a real-ish ending, but which aired really irregularly at the time, so it's nostalgic twentysomethings going back to see how it all resolved.

It also has Dante Basco saying hilarious things.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

TwoPair posted:

Which season? (I'm kidding because I can't imagine either meshing with Recess but every time I think of American Dragon the one thing that instantly jumps to mind is the radical art style shift between seasons)

The "that show" Ghost was talking about was Lilo and Stitch - and its crossover with Jake Long used the first season's art style.

fractalairduct fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DoctorWhat posted:

A lot of older cartoons are like that, doing plot arcs and ongoing continuity that the networks didn't really respect (and even lately you get poo poo like Gravity Falls and Steven Universe being hosed over by scheduling) that in the days before streaming you often never got to see how shows got to end before they were off the air. Justice League and Teen Titans' final seasons barely got any airtime at reasonable hours.