Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

splifyphus posted:

I'll try to make it so simple a toddler could get it.

you, yourself, as an individual meatsack reading this thread, have a choice. you get to die on your knees mewling like a liberal coward, or you get to go out on your feet like a goddamn adult.

that's it. that's the only choice you have. it doesn't matter in the slightest, it will do nothing and accomplish nothing, your existence will have been just as meaningless either way, and multi-cellular life is loving off for the foreseeable future regardless.

It's a completely meaningless, subjective shift of one's attitude and outlook, it costs you nothing to make it, and yet still you're all regurgitating the same nihilist garbage you've been spoonfed your whole lives.

gently caress all of you. just loving die already.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/740668170460856330/921857057467039844/tumblr_r48d4bXbhI1rmet4a.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

splifyphus posted:

you, yourself, as an individual meatsack reading this thread, have a choice. you get to die on your knees mewling like a liberal coward, or you get to go out on your feet like a goddamn adult.

that's it. that's the only choice you have. it doesn't matter in the slightest, it will do nothing and accomplish nothing, your existence will have been just as meaningless either way, and multi-cellular life is loving off for the foreseeable future regardless.

It's a completely meaningless, subjective shift of one's attitude and outlook, it costs you nothing to make it, and yet still you're all regurgitating the same nihilist garbage you've been spoonfed your whole lives.

you seem to have trouble understanding that your personal perceptions do not apply to literally everyone else

I guess this is why you are so terrorized by other people being your personal definition of "nihilist"

We will be here to joke about dustbowls and ultranados when you finish crack/pinging

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

splifyphus posted:

no thanks

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

splifyphus posted:

what are you even arguing

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

T-Paine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOOzA39mMjg

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

splifyphus posted:

Ya need a hug buddy?

You seem like you need a hug...

Bring it in.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
crack/pinging is a good thing overall even if the person chooses to be a dickhead about it

We will see this more and more as the situation gets more undeniable and these people so heavily invested in fixing the problem are hit with COPE26 after COPE26 and they subconsciously realize something they can not admit

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

splifyphus posted:

i see you already choose to die on your knees like the lib you are

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

splifyphus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBAEt06J2Ho

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

splifyphus posted:

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

splifyphus posted:

i pick "mewling like a coward"

the other option sounds boring and unfunny, hth

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
30 new posts. huh. has splifyphus blown up a gas station yet

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Trabisnikof posted:

i see you already choose to die on your knees like the lib you are

You know, I can abide the doomerism, but the factionalization poo poo in this thread is what irks me the most. Con, commie, fascist, lib, or any political ideology in-between or outside the boundaries, we're all crabs stewing in the same loving boiling pot with the lid slowly closing over the top.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

splifyphus posted:

I've been waiting over 30 years for death to finally claim me.
What's a couple more among good company?

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Colin Mockery posted:

i pick "mewling like a coward"

the other option sounds boring and unfunny, hth

ever hear the mewl of the atheist catboy?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

splifyphus posted:

smdh at this nihilism

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

splifyphus posted:

no u

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

T-Paine posted:

ever hear the mewl of the atheist catboy?

yah i practice in front of the mirror every week

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
having thoughtfully considered the subject and all opinions posted here

i, too, shall mewl

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

splifyphus posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

:golfclap:

It's in the OP, but again, I reiterate: Do not try and incite violence in my loving thread.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Rectal Death Adept posted:

having thoughtfully considered the subject and all opinions posted here

i, too, shall mewl

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Anyways, Seibert & Rees have condensed their Through the Eye of the Needle paper down to a simple 4-pager for easy sharing to the less academically inclined.

Citizens’ Warning on Overshoot and Collapse

I think it does a good job of boiling poo poo down: Renewables is a lie, the wall is coming, and the sooner we engage in hard drawdown the less likely we are to go extinct.

Print it out and pass it around the Christmas table, bring a few to New Years parties, gently caress stand on a street corner handing out copies, I dunno. :shrug:

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Plotting the downfall of civilization on the open internet seems like a bad idea.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

splifyphus posted:

Sir this is a Wendy's

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

splifyphus posted:

see you in nihilism when you finish crackpinging. try not to pointlessly martyr yourself before you can finish savoring the last gasps of consumerist industrial civilization as the bitter pleasure of its toxic fruit chokes us all to death

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

nomad2020 posted:

Plotting the downfall of civilization on the open internet seems like a bad idea.

best done in a boardroom

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

splifyphus posted:

T-Paine posted:

That you must reject nihilism by loudly embracing one very specific outcome of a choice that Splifyphus himself states is ab initio meaningless. The best arguments to support his rejection of nihilism include rejecting the idea that we can know anything of the future and other classic nihilist trains of thought while regurgitating empty platitudes that reinforce an nihilistic emptiness of ethical values or logical meaning.

In summary, Splifyphus is a land of contrasts.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

splifyphus posted:

you get to die on your knees mewling like a liberal coward, or you get to go out on your feet like a goddamn adult.

splifyphus posted:

Hope u didn't get blisters

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

the important thing is that you'll feel good about yourself when you're dead

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

best done in a boardroom

:haibrow:

Jesus Horse
Feb 24, 2004

splifyphus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVs_f_R6ZxQ&t=32s

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

nomad2020 posted:

the beautiful thing is you dont have to do anything at all for the downfall of civilization to happen

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I'll miss Syphilis, they really changed my outlook today.

Anyway, I like this quote from Middlemarch that helps me reflect on the importance of my deeds in the world.

“But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.”

but I'm also a big fan of

"Lol. Lmao." - anonymous

much to reflect on as the increasing intensity of meteorological phenomena decimates reduced crop yield

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

splifyphus posted:

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

splifyphus is a good poster who has shown that they have a comprehensive understanding of leftist theory

i guess they just recently stumbled on the climate thread and aren't taking the implications well

Raine has issued a correction as of 00:52 on Dec 20, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Raine posted:

splifyphus is a good poster who has shown that they have a comprehensive understanding of leftist theory

i guess they just recently stumbled on the climate thread and aren't taking the implications well
they are normally fairly astute and intelligent. i don't like talking about people who can't post back, but they should know better than this. they seem to go through periods of like 'oh yeah i was blowing up that was justified', and then periods of bipolar D&D brain just shouting into the void yelling at people.

the Nietzsches, nay gently caress Nietzsche, John Browns even, existed in a world where there was no calcified state. it was a mere shadow of one only assembling the Voltron in times of threat to the elite/status quo (native genocides, western frontier, Mexico war, more native genocides when they got uppity, assembling army to put down slave rebellions, etc). a world where people still fought with loving pitchforks and flintlocks.  in a world where humans had very naked human reliance on other humans. modern society is so far disconnected from that: the human on the side of sustaining/consumption equation has been erased and replaced with faceless brands. A massive global-spanning superstructure of a State beyond mere peasant notions of borders.  an vast army transcending just uniforms but the very nature of capital itself is an army: armed and tasked with infinite power and infinite arms to protect its growth and exploitation draining the very blood of the people and the planet. there is nothing an individual, or even small collective of individual.  there’s no way a Harpers Ferry could be carried out now, and it even failed 200 years ago with vastly closer power parity. an information army powered by money that controls what the mass swath of people see and hear to such an insane degree that you could convince overwhelming majority of anything, or that there’s nothing to see.  after all, how many even heard the recent BC catastrophe for example, or the mass flooding in Indonesia, or anything else?

the system of production and accumulation of power has learned a lot from its previous failures or lapses.  now it’s not unfailable and omnipresent (that’s some Fukuyama poo poo) and given a long enough time span sans planetary collapse i think the seeds of its own demise are inherently there and would fall. it virtually has to. but in this case it’s clear that there isn’t that time.

there is no “action”. look at the Steve Donziger, Assange, Michael Hastings, or anyone else that stood against the state even over trivial matters. at worst they end up suicided (hastings), at best their life is crushed and imprisoned and any accomplishments being futile and forgot.  hell ecuador is never getting paid a single loving dime out of the lawsuit and all donziger has to show for it is his life being in ruins.

as brace belden put so eloquently:  if you think there’s something to die for, buddy you got some real serious depresssion because there’s nothing. nothing.  But there is something to live for.

The path forward is not "oh no this is tragic we gotta do something" -- that ship has sailed. Anyone obsessed with 'how do we stop it' has broken lib brain. The path forward is attrition and building a localized community that can stick together and start growing some localized food and figuring out where there's wells that still have water and who can shelter who. Not on an individual level, that path is failure, but as many people as can be in forming a community. see also how people survived the balkan wars. it wasn't preppers that lived, it was groups of people who banded together. this isn't something that requires silly futile martyring, it's something that requires making social connectivity.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

https://spectrum.ieee.org/solar-geoengineering
Test of Planet-Cooling Scheme Could Start in 2022

The first SCoPEx test was originally planned for early 2021 in northern Sweden, but backlash from environmental and indigenous groups prompted the team to cancel the launch.

Critics say that pursuing solar geoengineering is a dangerous distraction from the more essential task of rapidly reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What if we burn ALL the coal and oil but we tell the sun to turn it down a notch

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Raine posted:

Xaris posted:

The path forward is not "oh no this is tragic we gotta do something" -- that ship has sailed. Anyone obsessed with 'how do we stop it' has broken lib brain. The path forward is attrition and building a localized community that can stick together and start growing some localized food and figuring out where there's wells that still have water and who can shelter who. Not on an individual level, that path is failure, but as many people as can be in forming a community. see also how people survived the balkan wars. it wasn't preppers that lived, it was groups of people who banded together. this isn't something that requires silly futile martyring, it's something that requires making social connectivity.
I can understand that being a real struggle from a classic leftist perspective, especially with the context of suggestions like throwing yourself into the gears to stop the machinery. The machinery is already falling apart, now is about building local connections to weather the fall (no pun intended) and possibly build something better in the aftermath if anyone survives. This thread has actually helped me a lot with figuring that out and focusing on the limited good that I can do for those around me instead of a larger fight that would be utterly wasted effort at this point.

And I'll acknowledge no one can absolutely know the future so I could be utterly incorrect on either of those last two items, but using that as a rationale not to plan as reasonably as I can based on what I do know would really be giving up to nihilism in my opinion. I also wouldn't criticize anyone who decides based on their circumstances they really can't do anything and just wants to enjoy what they can while they can. Honestly, it's as realistic a response as any and why browbeat someone for wanting to minimize their own misery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
PFAS ‘forever chemicals’ constantly cycle through ground, air and water, study finds

quote:

Toxic PFAS “forever chemicals” in the ocean are transported from seawater to air when waves hit the beach and that phenomenon represents a significant source of air pollution, a new study from Stockholm University has found.

The findings, published in Environmental Science & Technology, also partly explain how PFAS get into the atmosphere and eventually precipitation. The study, which collected samples from two Norwegian sites, also concludes that the pollution “may impact large areas of inland Europe and other continents, in addition to coastal areas”.

“The results are fascinating but at the same time concerning,” said Bo Sha, a Stockholm University researcher and study co-author.

PFAS are a class of chemicals used across dozens of industries to make products resistant to water, stains and heat. Though the compounds are highly effective, they are also linked to cancer, kidney disease, birth defects, decreased immunity, liver problems and a range of other serious diseases.

The study highlights the chemicals’ mobility once they’re released into the environment: PFAS don’t naturally break down, so they continuously move through the ground, water and air and their longevity in the environment has led them to be dubbed “forever chemicals”. They have been detected in all corners of the globe, from penguin eggs in Antarctica to polar bears in the Arctic.

The Stockholm research team collected aerosol samples between 2018 and 2020 from Andøya, an Arctic island, and Birkenes, a city in southern Norway. It found correlating levels of PFAS and sodium ions, which are markers of sea spray. The chemicals’ transfer occurs when air bubbles burst as waves crash, and the study found that PFAS can travel thousands of kilometers via sea spray in the atmosphere before the chemicals return to land.

Some regulators and the chemical industry have long claimed that dumping PFAS into the ocean is an appropriate disposal method because it dilutes the waste to a safe level. The study concluded that the approach isn’t safe because the chemicals are returned to land, which can pollute drinking water sources, among other issues.

“The common belief was that PFAS would eventually wash off into the oceans where they would stay to be diluted over the timescale of decades,” said Matthew Salter, a co-author of the study and researcher at Stockholm University. “But it turns out that there’s a boomerang effect, and some of the toxic PFAS are re-emitted to air, transported long distances and then deposited back onto land.”

Like making GBS threads into a fan, laughing, and having it hit you in the face.