Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I never get tired of saying this so I’m just gonna say it again: Boris Johnson is so obviously an escaped character from “Little Britain” that somehow managed to fuse through the tv-world into ours, and there’s no way you can prove me wrong on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I wonder how many times a day Matt Lucas gets asked to do an impression of him.
Boris is basically Sir Bernard Chumley in a worse wig.

And veggie going on 29 years now, and I'd rather have my dinner with 5-10 different tastes more than yours with half the plate taken up with tasteless turkey

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I feel like I’m the only prick who still likes turkey :( tbf I have it literally once a year so it’s kind of a novelty the whole time.

However my partner is vegan so I bought the Rudy’s Vegan Butchet Christmas box, it was great last year, even if I didn’t have the turkey replacement itself. Looking at it this year tho it seems they’ve realised given how popular it was, they can absolutely both skimp and rake up the price. It’s not delivered till Tuesday but it seems as if it’s half the stuff it was last year, while the “royal Christmas dinner” is and extra £25 quid and what we would’ve got last year.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Aidan_702 posted:

I feel like I’m the only prick who still likes turkey :( tbf I have it literally once a year so it’s kind of a novelty the whole time.

For me 99% of the time turkey's dry and tasteless so I don't tend to have it. But having a massive, moist turkey leg smothered in gravy on Christmas day is amazing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah just buy a turkey leg if you want turkey, it's the best bit.

Now top tier crimbo bird is goose, astonishingly delicious but I've only ever eaten it once.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
My family just have chicken, ham, beef and lamb (and pigs in blankets) on the table for Christmas dinner - no need to chose, just grab what you want (the unused bits all get eaten eventually).

Never got what the big deal about turkey was, it's basically just chicken but chewier. I had goose once when my brother had a fit of middle-class pretension and bought one home and it was quite nice but well-cooked chicken is still better IMO.

Actually I wonder if turkey and goose are the big Christmas meats just because they're much bigger birds and it's easier to cook one big one than two or three chickens?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
We had goose one year and it is much better than turkey imo. One of these years I'm going to get swan.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

nah it's because they wouldn't make room in the stable for jesus so we eat them as revenge

just think, if the donkey had been in a bad mood that day we'd all spend christmas day eating rear end

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

big scary monsters posted:

We had goose one year and it is much better than turkey imo. One of these years I'm going to get swan.

You gotta wait until the queen is dead first

Then all the swans enter public domain

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

My family just have chicken, ham, beef and lamb (and pigs in blankets) on the table for Christmas dinner - no need to chose, just grab what you want (the unused bits all get eaten eventually).

Never got what the big deal about turkey was, it's basically just chicken but chewier. I had goose once when my brother had a fit of middle-class pretension and bought one home and it was quite nice but well-cooked chicken is still better IMO.

Actually I wonder if turkey and goose are the big Christmas meats just because they're much bigger birds and it's easier to cook one big one than two or three chickens?

Did you know that Goose was considered to be a type of fish (in particular a Barnacle) in some parts of Ireland, to allow them to be eaten during Lent?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnacle_goose

As for your question, possible. Trying to cook two or three chickens well for a dinner would require multiple ovens which weren't a thing until recently. (and even then, that's mostly two ovens at most.)

A full Turkey is a tough meal to cook correctly. (Though if it's done well you have days worth of eating from it. Certainly the idea of turkey sandwiches on St. Stephen's day is making my mouth water.) I prefer to cook just a crown of turkey on Christmas. Last year I did that and the Ham for me, the wife and mother-in-law and had a Nut Loaf for the Vegan Sister-in-law. By the time we had finished dinner, I found out my dad had only just finished cooking his full Turkey.

So my preference would be to go for a smaller (but still substantial) Turkey Crown to cook. Only upgrade to full Turkey if you have a bunch of people to feed. And you want left overs to make a Turkey Satay with.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Question IRL posted:

So my preference would be to go for a smaller (but still substantial) Turkey Crown to cook. Only upgrade to full Turkey if you have a bunch of people to feed. And you want left overs to make a Turkey Satay with.

A turkey crown is rendered inherently pointless by its lack of legs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Goose was always traditional up here, perhaps because there's a certain population density that tends towards chickens and rabbits in the back yard and one that tends towards psycho dinosaur lawnmower/intruder alarms that will try to fight a fox.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

nah it's because they wouldn't make room in the stable for jesus so we eat them as revenge
gently caress the golden nail, geese will straight up commit deicide if one gets too close to them.

The last time I was around more than three they tried to eat my shoelaces.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I've heard wild swan isn't that good anyway, you need to feed it up with good stuff rather than slugs and pondweed. And it seems a pretty unpopular bird to farm even outside the UK.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Goose is far superior to Turkey but my family is small so we just have a fat duck each year.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Goose is like really nice, big duck so yeah if you don't want a goose then a duck would be a good substitute, lovely fatty meat incredibly rich, and obviously very good for cooking the vegetables with.

They had some... looked like tiny yellow chickens in sainsburys the other week, looked fairly cheap too, was tempted to try one.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 20, 2021

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

We had goose one year and it is much better than turkey imo

this is a pro christmas cooking strat, geese taste amazing

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Turkey legs are always great while turkey breast is easy to dry out, but if you aren't smothering it in stuffing and gravy then what are you even doing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

You gotta wait until the queen is dead first

Then all the swans enter public domain

I'm sure I've mentioned it before but I am actually entitled to hunt[1] and eat swan on the Thames between the Tower and the Lea, the Lea downstream of Three Mills, and the Black River[2]. The Crown only reserves the right to swans on the non-tidal Thames[3] - the rights to them (and seperate fishing, salvage and other rights to exploit the river) were divvied up and given out to local bigwigs over the years. Specifically the Bishop of London has rights to everything from the Tower to Barking Reach (technically also including the tributaries north of the river to their tidal extent) but granted the rights up to the Lea to the Bishop of Stepney, who sold off the exploitation rights to various people over the years but specifically granted the right to fish[4], to gather mussels, and to hunt waterfowl including swans to the peasants of the diocese. Now although I am a homeowner I don't actually own land and have the ground rent receipts to prove it, so by my reckoning that makes me a peasant so I'm grabbing my longbow.

(Of course *nobody* can hunt, trap or eat swan anywhere in England and Wales as they're an endangered species, but if I ever fancy eating some of the seagulls there's gently caress all the Queen can do about it)

[1] But not snare! Snares and traps are forbidden on the entire tidal Thames because people kept forgetting and the birds drowned, a terrible waste of food.
[2] This would be an impressive feat because the Black River dried up in the early Medieval period and nobody's actually entirely sure where it went, just that it joined the Thames around Limehouse - the former mouth is still visible, and was used as a dock, and the source *may* have been a branch of the Walbrook or may have been an independent spring around Bethnal Green. The rights *do* include any ponds or other watercourses in the diocese so I could take a swing at one of those bastard geese in Vicky Park.
[3] The tidal extent used to run basically to Hampton Court, which is why Cardinal Wolsey got a palace there (it was a fairly important administrative delineation) that Henry VIII nicked. It now of course stops at Teddington Lock and I don't think it's a coincidence there's a huge swan colony there now.
[4] There's a spectacularly jobsworthy list of exactly how and when you can fish, and for what - eels are fair game for everyone but god help you if you grab a pike in your net - they can only be fished by line, but not from a boat.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I've heard wild swan isn't that good anyway, you need to feed it up with good stuff rather than slugs and pondweed. And it seems a pretty unpopular bird to farm even outside the UK.

It apparently tastes like turkey with an aftertaste of off fish.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Since a fair few people mentioned vegan relatives: if you want a plant-based Christmas and don't mind something a little different, rather than a boring nut roast I suggest going for a traditional but non-British meal. To quote myself in the vegan thread:

We've cooked Polish the last two Christmases: barszcz with uszka, pierogi, gołąbki, kapusta kiszona and so on. A lot of the dishes are vegan anyway, several of the rest can easily be made so. None are a centre piece as such but it's a nice spread. If you search "wegańska wigilia" you'll find some good recipes and Google Translate does a tolerable job.

e: This website in general is good for plant-based Polish stuff. https://www.jadlonomia.com/ We have one of her recipe books and use it a fair bit.
I promise it is all extremely good, even if like me you are also a disgusting meat-eater.

Interesting, so all we have to do is get them off the red list and we can have a UKMT swan hunt from your place? I'll start the conservation charity.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
in response to a post a page ago lolling about femi losing his relationship in lockdown. he does appear to be a wally, but other people, myself included, have lost relationships to lockdown. It isn't fun.

in other, better news, my tesla and I are now in the south of france and doing well.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Morrisons have some great vegan and vegetarian Christmas options in the freezer section. Only my son really likes meat so this year I sacked off getting a bird and got him turkey parcel things and us the vegetarian option.

Polish food is godlike for vegetarians, they can do things with cabbage and potatoes that will change your life.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Here in Sweden we’re all about ham for Christmas but even with that in mind I have never been much for turkey. I love other birds though, and a few years back, when celebrating Christmas in Zagreb, we had a very tasty goose on Christmas Day.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
During my vegetarian years I once compromised and bought a extremely expensive free ranged hand reared cuddled at night goose and the drat thing had as much meat on it as a chicken.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Well to move away from meat arguments, what are peoples favourite trimmings?

I learned how to make roast potatoes from my mother that are so crispy they’re essentially shrapnel on a plate. Its probably my favourite food of all time. Fluffy on the inside, but on the outside it has on several occasions literally cut through the roof of my mouth. It’s the top, but second is just a gigantic tray of stuffing. Could very happily eat that as a full meal despite pretending that I have a refined, worldly palette.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I used to go to a science fiction reading group in London decades ago, and one year at christmas, one of the guys had done one of those multi-layered stuffed birds - turkey with a chicken, a goose, and a couple more birds inside, and finally some sort of apricot stuffing. It was incredible, but very dense and you couldn't eat much.

I do Xmas day on my own (by choice) so I'm trying to decide what to get in. I usually have a gravadlax, and I'm thinking of some nice roasted veg (Aunt Bessie or someone that I can stick in the microwave, I don't use my oven).

Sadly, I already ate my Xmas gjetost with a lovely bread. (Highly recommend: Burgen sprouted grains bread found in Waitrose.. They had some 'reduced' for 39p a loaf so I tried both types. I imagine it makes gorgeous toast with lashings of butter. I shall have to try it. It comes in a paper bag not a poly bag).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 20, 2021

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Aidan_702 posted:

I learned how to make roast potatoes from my mother that are so crispy they’re essentially shrapnel on a plate. Its probably my favourite food of all time. Fluffy on the inside, but on the outside it has on several occasions literally cut through the roof of my mouth. It’s the top, but second is just a gigantic tray of stuffing. Could very happily eat that as a full meal despite pretending that I have a refined, worldly palette.

I'm partial to roasties, Yorkshire pudding, those little sausages, cabbage in any form, carrots or parsnip, sprouts... Anything but stuffing, everyone else in the world seems to love it but I think it's poo poo.

e: VV You can also make pasztet with nuts and mushrooms and stuff. I'm not a big fan, sort of like a stodgy nut bread as I've experienced it, but there are a lot of variations and if you're into nut roast it might be to your liking.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 20, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Since a fair few people mentioned vegan relatives: if you want a plant-based Christmas and don't mind something a little different, rather than a boring nut roast I suggest going for a traditional but non-British meal. To quote myself in the vegan thread

But I like the Christmas nut roast!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Aidan_702 posted:

Oh I am about to blow your mind with my carrots

1. Cut enough battens to cover the bottom of a deep frying pan/saucepan but the frying pan is better

2. Crush several cloves of garlic and add to pan along with a generous amount of oil or butter. Fry the carrots to sweat and part cook them, should take 5-10 mins.

3. add 200ml of water (or enough to just cover the carrots)

4. Cook till the water has boiled away which will be 10-15 mins.

You will be left with absolute heaven. you can also add leeks in with this but part way through frying the carrots so they dont burn.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Anything but stuffing, everyone else in the world seems to love it but I think it's poo poo.
Standard stuffing is just that, it's substitute sausagemeat made of breadcrumbs and dry herbs. If you use it as a fibreboard canvas for butter/olive spread and fresh herbs and some crushed chili then you can get some great results.

There was some homemade stuffing chat last month too, but I haven't tried that yet.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have another gem

Lemon or orange juice as a garnish swirl on soups, although I use lemon flavoured olive oil.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

learnincurve posted:

Oh I am about to blow your mind with my carrots

1. Cut enough battens to cover the bottom of a deep frying pan/saucepan but the frying pan is better

2. Crush several cloves of garlic and add to pan along with a generous amount of oil or butter. Fry the carrots to sweat and part cook them, should take 5-10 mins.

3. add 200ml of water (or enough to just cover the carrots)

4. Cook till the water has boiled away which will be 10-15 mins.

You will be left with absolute heaven. you can also add leeks in with this but part way through frying the carrots so they dont burn.

Ooh very good idea. Another thing I was taught - have you ever tried baton carrots, very finely minced garlic, a small dollop of butter, and champagne all to fill a little boat made of tin foil, then cooked in the oven till it all boils away?Utterly incredible.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Aidan_702 posted:

Ooh very good idea. Another thing I was taught - have you ever tried baton carrots, very finely minced garlic, a small dollop of butter, and champagne all to fill a little boat made of tin foil, then cooked in the oven till it all boils away?Utterly incredible.

I have not yet but I certainly will, I have a tiny enamel roasting dish I've never found a use for that would be the perfect shape for a boat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I will quite happily fry up some cauliflower and sprouts and just eat them any time of year, so sprouts are obviously very nice with crimbo dinner.

You can do them with the fancy bacon and stuff but I like them just boiled tbh.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Aidan_702 posted:

I make fondant potatoes as a side dish for my mum every Christmas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOatJPocjDo

After many, many fights over the contents of Christmas dinner, my family eventually settled on the “compromise” that I would do all the cooking, and everyone gets to have whatever they want. So this Christmas I’ll be making tomato and mascarpone soup, prawn cocktail, steak and chips, salmon with fondant potatoes, and penne in vodka sauce.

It’s a lot of work, but since everyone gets their favourite meal it makes everyone happy and avoids a fight over food ruining Christmas.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Turkey legs are always great while turkey breast is easy to dry out, but if you aren't smothering it in stuffing and gravy then what are you even doing.

this, just lol if you can even taste the turkey

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

So I've posted ITT a bunch of times how I'm a vegetarian, and it always comes up at Christmas.

My perspective: Nut roast can suck... but I've made one a couple of times (though not sure where I got the recipe now) that had loads of mushrooms and onions in it, and it's really good.

Similarly this recipe: https://www.thelastfoodblog.com/mushroom-wellington/ is really good. I made it a few weeks ago with mushrooms, chestnuts, feta and caramelised onions and it was delicious. You can use frozen puff pastry (thaw it before trying to roll it out, it's much easier) and the rest isn't really all that much effort.

I advocate just eating whatever the hell you want for Christmas dinner. My brother and I made pizzas for the family a few years back. They had christmassy things on like chestnuts and cranberries, and turned out really well.

Back when my Mum used to cook Christmas dinner it was typically a cheese and onion flan (she made a really good one), veggie-sausage rolls, some kind of bean salad thing she'd make, then just loads of nibble-y stuff like nuts, crisps, twiglets, cheese-and-pineapple-on-a-stick, cheese straws (which would sometimes be homemade) some sliced peppers and carrots and hummus and stuff like that.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 20, 2021

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/thefastshow1/status/1469966489017065476?s=21

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
A warning RE goose:

We did one like 6-7 years ago, came out quite nice, was for shredding which was a bit weird. Decided to try a normal one in 2019: was a total disaster. We're relatively experienced cooks, were watching it & basting the whole time per a recipe, used a meat thermometer etc, and over the course of maybe a minute it went from "this thing looks raw" to this:

Literally couldn't carve it. No idea what happened. Texture was like...incredibly hard layers of crepe paper, or ice shards.

Was an expensive "has known only joy" bird as well, £75. I was absolutely gutted. We attempted a rescue operation and were able to make some decent soups/curries by rehydrating pieces, but yeah, never roasting a whole one again if this is a potential outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa