Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

muscles like this! posted:

I did think it was funny how in the course of "fixing" all the characters they also took the time to give Goblin something approximating his classic costume.

It helps that he already had a goblin face without the mask. Seriously, how is that man so much scarier as a senior citizen than he was 20 years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Open Marriage Night posted:

Next Spider-Man would be a good time to introduce Black Cat

Yeah it seems like they're finally moving into the "young adult" Spider-Man, so entering the Black Cat era might make some sense. I'm the weirdo the really liked Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man and enjoyed ASM 1, but man it should have been post high school, even then Garfield looked like Buscemis "fellow kids" guy.

The reset is a pretty good way to do a soft reboot of the series while maintaining the cast. Part of me wishes they'd just stop while they're ahead, but another part of me wants to see where they go. The worst part of the Holland movies was all the tech, so it's cool to completely take it off the table.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

JT Smiley posted:

It helps that he already had a goblin face without the mask. Seriously, how is that man so much scarier as a senior citizen than he was 20 years ago?

He’s been perfecting that terrifying grin for 40 years.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Next Spider-Man would be a good time to introduce Black Cat

Especially given the mid-credits thing

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Make the 4th with both Spider-Gwen and Black Cat and have peter need to deal with a Betty and Veronica situation

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Make the 4th with both Spider-Gwen and Black Cat and have peter need to deal with a Betty and Veronica situation

this but unironically:v: also i really REALLY hope we get a Dark Reign movie out of this

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NWH made more money in its opening weekend than anything else released during the pandemic, like total for their runs. Also was the third highest opening of all time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

muscles like this! posted:

NWH made more money in its opening weekend than anything else released during the pandemic, like total for their runs. Also was the third highest opening of all time.

Not even top 2. Not looking good for another Spidey movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm sure some Sony executive is yelling at an assistant about how come it wasn't the highest opening of all time.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Posting from the theater during credits but quick thought

I'm so glad that Peter is poor again. Peter's the working man hero dammit!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I finally watched Let There Be Carnage and lol what a hunk of poo poo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The entire apartment fight and subsequent party scene was better than every non Spider-Man MCU release this year

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean that's not a super high bar, but I do still need to watch Venom 2

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The original Venom surprised me by being enjoyable. Let There Be Carnage was just awful.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

CelticPredator posted:

The entire apartment fight and subsequent party scene was better than every non Spider-Man MCU release this year

I'd still put Shang-Chi and Black Widow above it. The former at least having some memorably good fight scenes and the latter not being actively terrible.

At least neither had a police detective notice Eddie Brock's new Sony Bravia TV and mention how nice it was

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I saw No Way Home earlier.

Garfield actually saying 'no big deal' loving killed me.

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
I love how everyone keeps making excuses for Strange’s spell and what it can do. Wonder Woman had a magic wishing stone that corrupted your mind to make you do stupid things and nobody would shut up about how stupid it’s better explained implications were.

Glad I got to see Spidey 12 in theaters! I got my booster! Covid be damned! I feel bad that I didn’t see suicide squad 2 in the theater. That has become my favorite superhero movie. Spidey 12 is like the 5th….which still a pretty good number on my list.

Also why the venom hate? I always wanted a good follow up to Newline Cinema classics like The Mask. That’s when they take a good book and do something completely different…but some how still…good? It’s camp! I like to think of it as another take on Little Shop of Horrors (a movie I watched all the time). A deleted scene in Venom 2 explains Carnage’s actual motivation. Carnage wants to basically infect and control everyone…he calls it total carnage. It’s the same thing that Audrey 2 wanted to do. Cassidy seems confused but is gonna go with it. Sherik is not cool with it but trusts Cletus to keep her safe. Explains why carnage turns into a giant tree about to spore at the end… I guess they just wanted make them not have a plot?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Just got back from NWH and I'd say I liked it overall but I do have mixed feelings about some things

Pros:

• I actually like that Aunt May died. One of my big problems about the MCU in general is how deathless and consequence free they are for (non-villain) main characters*. Even when someone does die they make sure to sandwich it between action scenes or quips to keep things from getting too heavy, but May's death was given proper weight I feel, even if it's incredibly strange that they made her Uncle Ben. And I liked Tomei's portrayal too, so it actually made me sad, like it should when such a character dies. However, I'm sorry old school comic fans but the full "with great power there must also come great responsibility" might sound good on paper but it does not sound natural coming out of a human's mouth at all, especially one who's dying.
  • Both older Spider-Men did a great job. I was concerned especially that Maguire might be rusty but he gave off a great vibe as the older, wiser Spidey. This movie made me like Garfield Spider-Man more than ASM and especially ASM2 ever did.
  • I knew from the minute I saw MJ fall in the trailer that they were gonna use it to give Garfield a redemption moment but goddamn it got me because Garfield did a great job selling the emotion when he saved her.
  • I feel like I saw Maguire-Spidey getting stabbed coming from a mile away and was real concerned that they were gonna kill him to, I don't know, put a final wrap on his Spider-Man career or something, but was real relieved that he lived
  • Goddamn Willem Dafoe knocking it out of the park. I mean I think all the villains did a good job (for the most part, Lizard didn't do much at all, and it was weird to have Sandman never actually form into a man until he got cured) but in the way JK Simmons is the definitive Jameson, I cannot see anyone else ever doing as good a job as Dafoe does as Goblin
  • On a personal note, got a good lol that everyone was getting excited about Spider-Man's new black suit (I think some were calling it his "mystic suit"?) when it's just his normal one turned inside out and it only lasted for one fight.
*Look I know we are only 2 years out from Iron Man and Black Widow dying but they are incredibly rare exceptions to the rule and even Widow's death wasn't properly mourned.

Cons or nitpicks if I'm being real

• This movie is trying real hard to retcon ASM 2 to make me believe that Spider-Man really knew Electro in that movie or that they had some close relationship akin to Maguire-Spidey/Octavius or hell even Spidey/Lizard from ASM1, when the fact is that he straight up didn't.
  • Quips. I feel like people complained about the lack of jokes in the Raimi films and every successive Spider-Man movie has been trying to make up for lost time by jamming more and more in. And I know quips are important to Spider-Man and also just part and parcel with the MCU now but sometimes it is just loving exhausting. Speaking of...
  • There's that moment on the statue of Liberty where they say something to Garfield about how he talks too much (a comment I hear often in critiques of the ASM movies) and I'm like "drat if that's not the pot calling the kettle black". Plus there's the part where Maguire keeps trying to make Garfield say he's amazing and I thought "if he says he's 'The Amazing Spider-Man' I'm gonna walk out of this goddamn theater". I guarantee there'll be a deleted scene somewhere on the blu-ray where he says it.

Anyway overall definitely good, still not my personal fave but I'd probably put it at like #4 of them all. Best Holland film hands down imo.

Also I guess I should have been expecting it but my audience cheered when Maguire and Garfield appeared (I'm not spoiler-tagging that, literally everyone knows) and it drove me crazy. I can get it when something big/exciting/unexpected happens (some people did when Garfield caught MJ, which I was okay with) but in this case, again, everybody in the theater loving knew it was coming. I guess this is a case where I'm the rear end in a top hat.

:agreed:

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
I got a plot question is there a reason for their fight to be at the Statue of Liberty? Pete was holding all the cards. Nobody was being held hostage, I don’t understand why he would make that Super Villain location choice. JJ is right.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Probably to get them all into one place where they don't cause collateral damage to innocent people

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
He's still pissed at Cap for dropping that trailer on him years ago.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

So Wong is the Sorcerer Supreme now because Strange got snapped? Didn't Wong get dusted too? I thought he was listed as snapped/MIA in the scene that also listed Shuri as snapped?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

MH Knights posted:

So Wong is the Sorcerer Supreme now because Strange got snapped? Didn't Wong get dusted too? I thought he was listed as snapped/MIA in the scene that also listed Shuri as snapped?

He just portaled himself somewhere to not be bothered for 5 years

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Please spoil for me if No Way Home ends with a "WHAT THE F-" *cut to credits* like the previous two movies, and if so, what it is.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

Please spoil for me if No Way Home ends with a "WHAT THE F-" *cut to credits* like the previous two movies, and if so, what it is.

no unfortunately

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Jamesman posted:

no fortunately

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

King Baby posted:

I got a plot question is there a reason for their fight to be at the Statue of Liberty? Pete was holding all the cards. Nobody was being held hostage, I don’t understand why he would make that Super Villain location choice. JJ is right.

It's a location away from the city where no one would be at night. With guys like Electro and Sandman running around it was the easiest way to stop collateral damage. It would also be a more private location for the final battle, I guess, with no one nearby watching or anything to see multiple Spidermans running around or whatever.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Also because it’s a movie and not a documentary. ”Come fight me at the Statue of Liberty” is more interesting than “come fight me in this field 20 miles north of Albany where they’re about to build that outlet mall”.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Reset thoughts: So the ending was sort of a massive loving downer for me. Peter is now an orphan with no money, no idea how he got that apartment in NYC. No friends, nada, zip zilch. He apparently still exists on paper, but people now have no memory that a Peter Parker exists on Earth. Does this mean that since Nick Fury is off planet that him and Captain Marvel are the only ones that remember who he is?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Jiro posted:

Reset thoughts: So the ending was sort of a massive loving downer for me. Peter is now an orphan with no money, no idea how he got that apartment in NYC. No friends, nada, zip zilch. He apparently still exists on paper, but people now have no memory that a Peter Parker exists on Earth. Does this mean that since Nick Fury is off planet that him and Captain Marvel are the only ones that remember who he is?

No, not even them. But everyone remembers Spider-Man, so he can still turn up and hang out with heroes if he needs to, and at some point he'll gradually reintroduce himself to them as Peter if he feels safe enough to do so. Learning who to trust and when will be a big part of his story going forward.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I don't think they'll be bringing in big players again soon because this is probably their way of bringing Spidey back down to street level (I'm thinking maybe a Daredevil team-up movie?), but even if Fury doesn't remember anymore, it'd take him all of ten seconds to find out again. Also they could fudge it and say something like "the spell was only for the planet; off-planet people weren't affected but I didn't think that was important to mention before"

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

King Baby posted:

Peter shows the same amount of respect for the Statue of Liberty that the US shows to the values it represents

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’ll always remember on 9/11 I was in high school and everyone was going full panic. One girl said “I heard they flew a plane into the Statue of Liberty!” and my first thought was “well that doesn’t seem nearly as bad”.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Spider-Man doesn't wanna fight in a field, he's gonna pick something where he can webswing. Statue of Liberty covered in gantries is basically his briar patch.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Jiro posted:

I have not seen it yet, but the spell erased Peter Parker totally from memory? or just that he is Spiderman?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The first thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

badjohny posted:

I have not seen it yet, but the spell erased Peter Parker totally from memory? or just that he is Spiderman?

NWH ending spoilers No one remembers that Peter Parker exists at all. People remember stuff about Spider-Man but not who he is.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I do take some issue with that, I get it was for story purposes and everything but Strange could have totally put like a 2 mile safety zone there, or even just left his own memory so they could deal with it later. It's one of those things you just have to not think about too much

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Retro Futurist posted:

I do take some issue with that, I get it was for story purposes and everything but Strange could have totally put like a 2 mile safety zone there, or even just left his own memory so they could deal with it later. It's one of those things you just have to not think about too much

Except that the botched spell was tearing reality several new ones at that very moment so there wasn't time for nuance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

"We don't have time for that, Peter, we've got to establish a status quo where you can sell pictures of yourself to J Jonah Jameson"