Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Nordick posted:

For what it's worth, the stupid horny pirate mod X-PirateZ also has XCom's leader named as Otto Zander in its background lore.

How am I only learning about this now and how much of a legal case do I have against XPiratez creators?

The Bureau really was halfway decent. It certainly had potential and is worth getting when it's on sale. My biggest problem with it was just the massive hole in the story near the end where it feels like 3 or 4 missions worth of story were simply cut out with nothing replacing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The problem with the Bureau is that the closest obvious comparison is Mass Effect and it just doesn't come close to that.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The Bureau had a really rad Cold War aesthetic but it couldn't save the game

Malah
May 18, 2015

The Bureau has the bones of a good game that suffers from its numerous rewrites. Mass Effect 1 combat with less jank is pretty good tbh, it's more than worth its dirt cheap price imo

There's an excellent LP in the archives co-commentated by one of the dev team (I want to say QA? Or art?) that highlights this game's redeeming features and how things ended up falling short elsewhere

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I got the Bureau for free at some point and I played about 20 mins before giving up due to crashes. It's on the list to come back to at some point.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I played Bureau and enjoyed it overall. Since you can't customize the main character, I made my two squadmates into versions of me and my best friend and then got us killed repeatedly because I was playing on too hard a difficulty because e-peen.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I actually really dug the bureau. It's absolutely not high art but it's a solid enough ME2 a-like with a rad aesthetic and a killer opening act. The second half of the game falls apart but gets carried hard by a genuinely cool story twist. Long as you go into knowing you're playing a b-team TPS there's fun to be had imo.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I enjoyed it, but I've never felt the desire to go back and I'd completely forgotten it even existed before this discussion.

The twist was pretty great though. Excellent use of the fourth wall.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees

GuavaMoment posted:

How am I only learning about this now and how much of a legal case do I have against XPiratez creators?

The Bureau really was halfway decent. It certainly had potential and is worth getting when it's on sale. My biggest problem with it was just the massive hole in the story near the end where it feels like 3 or 4 missions worth of story were simply cut out with nothing replacing it.

Haha good to see you still haunting the forums too, though I shouldn't be remotely surprised

Legally, I think you have a case for 5 million internet buxxxxxxx, but unfortunately they are worthless soooooo prob not worth it

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Before Strix cross-posts it here;
Long War of the Chosen is now out, and you could not pay me to play it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GuavaMoment posted:

You could tell exactly where the script was stitched together from which drafts lol

I enjoyed it for what it was though, but the AI handholding was pretty excessive

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Serephina posted:

I've been following Der Ava's series, up to the first HQ. I picked up XCOM on a recent sale, but gotta wait for a good time to get into HOBBY GRADE VIDEOGAME. Just gonna jump right into LW2 as soon as I replace this PNY graphics card with a proper power.

Yes, I know about OpenXCom. I've been watching A_Raving_Loon's playthrough of X Files COM and I don't have it in me. I can't do it, no one can make me.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Serephina posted:

I mean, I would play through a campaign if someone paid me a ton of money for it, but yeah I completely understand your sentiment.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Finally got my rig and sank a few hours into Chimera Squad. Really digging the breach stuff. Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The onyl hobby grade game I play is BATTLEBORN

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Bogart posted:

The onyl hobby grade game I play is BATTLEBORN

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Bogart posted:

The onyl hobby grade game I play is ANTHEM

FTFY

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

since Jade Start started another sisyphean task, I reinstalled wotc to take a peek at the mods I've been running.

Anywhoo, some 10 hours of gameplay later I noticed that the tactical legacy pack armors weren't available anymore... I think the helmets/weapons are missing too. Anyone got any clue to what file specifically has been hosed by the re-install?

the game still presents the legacy campaigns as done with the appropriate medals.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Getting a ton of red screen errors, the validation thing on Steam says everything is good, am I just going to have to push through?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

^burtle posted:

Getting a ton of red screen errors, the validation thing on Steam says everything is good, am I just going to have to push through?

Do you have console turned on? The debug stuff is more verbose for that and you have to turn it off with -noredscreens I believe.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

^burtle posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/XCOM2/comments/450gxc/red_screen_errors_and_debug_mode/

Hopefully this helps fix the problem!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Thank you so much! I will report back if it worked the next time I sit down to play.

Edit: Looks like it worked. Thank you!

^burtle fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 23, 2021

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So, does anyone happen to have any educated guesses as to why my game would skip Gatecrasher completely?
At first I thought I'd installed some kinda quickstart mod (I'm pretty sure I did try one at some point in the past) and forgot to remove it, but I've gone through my mod list with a fine comb and have no such thing active or even subscribed to.

How it exactly happens is: I start a new campaign, and after the first intro cinematic, before the newscaster comes in with "Excitement continues to build", the game skips directly into a seemingly empty Skyranger with a "Mission Failed" screen, and upon landing on the Avenger it shows a starting squad of rookies, unharmed and unpromoted.

Secondly, and I'm not sure if it's related, I start with no faction HQ discovered on the map, eventhough I have a faction hero in the starting squad. In fact, upon first entering the Geoscape, I thought I was stuck because there was nothing to scan or fly to, and thus no way to advance time quickly. Exiting and re-entering the geoscape view made a scanning site pop up, but the lack of faction HQ still weirds me out.

I'm not asking anyone to troubleshoot things for me, I'll poke around more myself when I get back home after Christmas. But I thought I'd leave this post here in the meanwhile, in case anyone happens to know off hand what might do this. It's not a huge deal either because far as I can tell, I can continue the campaign normally from here. It's just odd and I'm wondering if whatever's causing it might cause problems down the road. I'm not even sure if it's a mod conflict/bug or an intended stealth feature of some mod I'm using.

FAKE EDIT: NEVERMIND, I found out the culprit thanks to a user comment in the discussion section of the "Quicker Start" mod. Some-freaking-how, Advancecd Modular Weapons causes the Gatecrasher skip (EDIT: And the missing faction HQ as well, apparently). :psyduck: Outstanding. We need a :xcom: but it says "That's modding!".

Vigilo Confido and Merry Christmas, XGoons.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 24, 2021

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Splorange posted:

Anywhoo, some 10 hours of gameplay later I noticed that the tactical legacy pack armors weren't available anymore... I think the helmets/weapons are missing too. Anyone got any clue to what file specifically has been hosed by the re-install?

the game still presents the legacy campaigns as done with the appropriate medals.

In the spirit of Christmas, let me reveal just unfathomably stupid I am. The helmets disappeared due to one of the clothing mods, never figured out which one. And I had completely forgotten that the legacy armors and weapons are in the LOADOUT menu.

I'll just go stand in this corner now.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I was checking out this heavy metal album I saw mentioned favourably somewhere. It indeed turned out to be good stuff. Then, although I usually don't actively pay attention to song lyrics as I'm listening, I suddenly realised, "Hol up, these lyrics are describing something kinda familiar sounding... What's this song called? <checks> ...oh, okay."

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Just rolled the credits on Chimera Squad, I liked it a lot. I only played Normal since I was rusty but I was surprised that I was able to wrap the game without the full roster. Is that a length of time thing or did I miss something?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

^burtle posted:

Just rolled the credits on Chimera Squad, I liked it a lot. I only played Normal since I was rusty but I was surprised that I was able to wrap the game without the full roster. Is that a length of time thing or did I miss something?

There is a limit on the number of people you choose to add. You'll always skip out on a couple prospects, so the choice isn't just when you get each recruit.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

^burtle posted:

Every run you only get 8/11 characters. The various finale missions for the 3 enemy factions also change pretty significantly based on when you do them (ie each has 5 'stages' when you do a faction first you do 1-3, when you do them second 2-4 etc) so the game is designed to o be replayable.

Zore fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 29, 2021

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

^burtle posted:

There are a couple of mods that let you recruit everyone, but they aren't going to level if you're not bringing them.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

XCOM 2 collection is on sale for Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.feralinteractive.xcom2_android&hl=en_US&gl=US until Jan 3 I believe.

I'm currently playing it on a Galaxy S9 SD845 and it runs pretty well! Bit fiddly on a small screen but great for the train ride. Was thinking about diving into LWOTC on my GPD Win Max, but realized I didn't want to deal with all of that and so opted for the vanilla campaign on the phone. Enjoying it so far!

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 30, 2021

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Started playing Chimera Squad yesterday, any tips and essential mods for it?

Edit: It's throwing me for a loop that Torque, the snake lady agent, speaks perfect english and not the SSSSSSSSSnake type speak from old cartoon villains.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 7, 2022

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Vincent posted:

Edit: It's throwing me for a loop that Torque, the snake lady agent, speaks perfect english and not the SSSSSSSSSnake type speak from old cartoon villains.

Voice actor wasnt told she was a giant snake woman until the game came out.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Vincent posted:

Choosing Torque would have been my first tip, so that’s good.

The game’s quite a bit easier than ‘core’ xcom - the main thing to get used to is the new turn order. Generally speaking you want to focus fire on whoever’s up next to act and kill them before their turn comes - if you don’t have enough firepower to do that then focus on the earliest enemy in the sequence that you *can* kill. Killing as many enemies as you can before their turn comes means you take fewer shots per encounter.

On the map side, get one field team of each type asap (it unlocks a useful ability); after that use mostly security teams as they’re by far the most useful (I had two finance and tech teams each, rest security).

Field teams give you a payout every Friday, and higher levels some give you a bonus if you do a mission in their area. Save up intel and spend it on upgrades either right before a mission and/or on a Thursday so you get the bonuses.

Grenades and consumables refill after each mission - don’t worry about having to buy them back.

The purple missions that unlock the main story mission sooner are a trap - all this does is ensure your squad is at a lower level for the boss fights.

Try to have an assembly project running at all times, and do the training options as soon as you can. Spec ops are a bit unimpressive - I do the intel one if I have a spare person sitting around but don’t bother much with them otherwise.

Generally don’t sweat it too much. There’s no really ‘wrong’ choices in the game - every squad member is perfectly viable at endgame and there’s no wrong order to do the investigations.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Do you get more exp for killing enemies? I get the impression that agents with a higher body-count level up faster than the ones who capture foes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Vincent posted:

Do you get more exp for killing enemies? I get the impression that agents with a higher body-count level up faster than the ones who capture foes.

Nope, either results in the same EXP. Optimal is to get 5 captures per mission for the bonus and then kill or capture the rest based on expediency.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Note: If you like using grenades, get Claymore ASAP. He eventually gets a perk that gives him double charges of all equipped grenades, support *or* offensive.

If you have an opportunity to get your hands on a Motile Inducer, grab it. It is literally a "give someone a free turn right now" item. And Claymore's double-grenades works on it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Vincent posted:

It's messed up she doesn't do more hissing, OP.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zore posted:

Nope, either results in the same EXP. Optimal is to get 5 captures per mission for the bonus and then kill or capture the rest based on expediency.

There was a bug that existed in the game where captures weren't awarded XP at all while kills were, which was annoying enough that someone made a mod to fix it:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2095997048

Not sure if Firaxis ever patched it.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Vincent posted:

Meme Poker Party posted:

It's messed up she doesn't do more hissing, OP.

She doesn't have the snake-accent because she was brought up on Earth, unlike those flithy, job-stealing aliens. She's an Earthling. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Vincent posted:

I have a few recommendations, all from Steam workshop:

Cost-Based Ability Colors -- Lets you tell at a glance which moves will end your turn. This is very helpful. It's the only one I'd consider almost essential.

Respec My Authorities -- Allows you to change your skill choices for your agents. It feels pretty bad to realize you picked the wrong skill when you have such a small roster, and have no way to change it. With this, you don't have to worry.

Roster Size Workaround + Base Agents Gain XP -- Nice for trying out all the different agents. Without this, you only get some of them.

More Accurate Smash -- I felt like Axiom's Smash ability wasn't very useful in the base game. Even with this mod, it seemed very situational to me.