Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How do AMD's APUs work in regards to PCIe lanes? Is the PEG slot on mainboards available to use with other things (say a high speed network card)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kraftwerk posted:

This is a stupid quesiton, but is the era of low heat computer equipment over?

Like from now on as performance increases we can expect TDP and power consumption to keep going up right?

Ever since I switched from the Intel 7700k and 1070 to a 3700x and 3080 I've noticed the room can heat up very quickly while fans go into overdrive for some particular games.

heat per bogomips has been going down the entire time, but performance has been going up faster than efficiency, op

my giant desktop pc idles at about 30W now, and over half of that is the stupidly inefficient ryzen I/O die, which is probably the next thing getting a passover, since afaik right now ram always runs at full tilt? there's probably reasons for it to do that, but i imagine it's getting looked at

it's just, desktop pcs will drink 500W if you tell them to. but you don't have to, you can run it at 100W and lose maybe 20% perf lol

fake edit: also 3080 is a 320W part for some reason.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

How do AMD's APUs work in regards to PCIe lanes? Is the PEG slot on mainboards available to use with other things (say a high speed network card)?

Sure, PCIe lanes are PCIe lanes. But the APUs have fewer lanes. All Ryzen APUs have only 16 lanes of external connectivity, of which 4 goes to the chipset. So you don't actually get a 16x connection to the main PEG slot, only 8x.

And the 5000 series APUs don't have PCIe 4 either, just 3. Because PCIe 4 is still too power-hungry.

Truga posted:

fake edit: also 3080 is a 320W part for some reason.

that reason is "oh look AMD put out a GPU that isn't endlessly re-spun trash, isn't that cute. time to take the gloves off." :toughguy:

Klyith fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 10, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hrm poo poo. Was hoping for a setup of like a decent amount of CPU lanes to a NVMe PCIe adapter and a Mellanox card. Gonna need to find a mainboard that does boot headless then.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Klyith posted:

Sure, PCIe lanes are PCIe lanes. But the APUs have fewer lanes. All Ryzen APUs have only 16 lanes of external connectivity, of which 4 goes to the chipset. So you don't actually get a 16x connection to the main PEG slot, only 8x.

And the 5000 series APUs don't have PCIe 4 either, just 3. Because PCIe 4 is still too power-hungry.

that reason is "oh look AMD put out a GPU that isn't endlessly re-spun trash, isn't that cute. time to take the gloves off." :toughguy:

isn't the 6000 series and AM5 platform going pci5 and skipping pci4?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Klyith posted:

The 3080 is also way more efficient at lower power limits. The silver lining of them being pushed stupid hard out of the box is that means overbuilt coolers so when you tune it to sane power targets you get quieter cards.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Don't be surprised if Nvidia announces a 450 - 500W graphics card next year. they're all-in on this plan to blow out AMD by blowing out their users PSUs. Except AMD looks like they could potentially still beat them out while using less power with their new MCM designs. The 7000 series could be amd's zen 3 moment in graphics... though I don't know how much money I'd put on that bet.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Don't be surprised if Nvidia announces a 450 - 500W graphics card next year. they're all-in on this plan to blow out AMD by blowing out their users PSUs. Except AMD looks like they could potentially still beat them out while using less power with their new MCM designs. The 7000 series could be amd's zen 3 moment in graphics... though I don't know how much money I'd put on that bet.

Are those still at least a year away?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AMD's MI250 TBP is 500W, lol. The Big 3 has all come to the same conclusions on this one, honestly.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Are those still at least a year away?

No. Probably next fall, or late summer.

Cygni posted:

AMD's MI250 TBP is 500W, lol. The Big 3 has all come to the same conclusions on this one, honestly.

I can see that with a datacenter card, but I wonder if AMD will do the same with their gaming GPUs.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

Sickos Unite: I have purchased a Cursed Artifact. An Athlon 5350 on Socket AM1. Time for an effort post.

So was it absolutely trash? No! But there are no bad products, just bad prices. By the time AM1 landed, it was too late to have an impact in the desktop space, and the sub-$200 desktop dream could never overcome both cheap used parts and price cuts on old stock. Comically, even by 2014, x86 was on its way to finding a much more lucrative and vibrant future in the high end, not the low end.

:yeshaha:

I actually really liked mine. I bought one in 2014 for a fileserver and it was great. Like no, definitely not a high-end performer, but $50 for the CPU and motherboard together really modulates your expectations from a system - threw in 8GB of RAM, an incredibly poo poo-tier SSD, and a Cooler-Master Elite 130 mITX case and a couple drives and it was a really incredibly nice little NAS for the budget, I think I was under $200 on the whole build and with Ubuntu it was just fine for server type tasks, ran sabnzbd+ and torrents and so on just fine. You could also have built a very solid little HTPC at the time too.

Nowadays, Gemini Lake is much better but I can't bring myself to throw it away. A few years ago I was vaguely thinking about getting one of the 4-drive U-NAS mini NAS chassis so I bought some parts to upgrade it - a fancy Gelid cooler with AM1 compatibility, and a mPCI SATA controller that will bring it up to 4 SATA ports (without using the PCIe slot). I could never quite get over the hump of dropping another $160 on the chassis especially when I already have one, and it's not that powerful or efficient a platform compared to modern atom-based stuff (especially once you consider much better hardware transcoding/etc on the atoms), but it's been such a good little system I can't bring myself to get rid of it.

Now if you actually want a cursed platform... why don't we compare quad-cores? :whatup:

This is an AMD quadfather, aka the 4x4 Platform. As Intel released the Core2Duo, and then the glued-together Core2Quad, AMD panicked. Their quads were going to be a while (and ended up having the TLB bug), all they had in the meantime was dual core chips. But? not in the server market... and so, they basically just released an overclockable server platform onto the enthusiast market. Lukewarm would have been overselling the reaction from reviewers - a Core2 Quad significantly outperformed it, at half the power, much better idle power. There was supposed to be a whole series of boards, but the whole thing was quietly put out to pasture.

I've been waiting for one of these to come up for ages, they're fairly rare, and I practically stole this one on eBay, I paid $57+shipping ($81 total) for basically a complete working kitted-out system. I haven't had time to mess with this really, but maybe over the holidays I'll try getting it running, seller said he's been running it recently and so on, it sounded like he was a fellow Garbage Hardware enthusiast. It's apparently a little bit of a queen, apparently 4x4s commonly like to drain CMOS batteries and this one is no exception, and the BIOS are known to be funky, but this one actually has a pair of 4-core Opteron 2360SE processors and he also had a pair of FX-57s for it as well. And he threw in a USB controller, a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1, all the coolers (those copper finstacks aren't good enough - they have to have their own coolers too!), and a graphics card too! :haw:

Not AMD-related, but I also have this pretty rare active Xeon Phi Knight's Landing coprocessor card that I need to figure out. There's quite a few of the passive cards but this is the only active one I've seen come up. With the passive ones they were designed to be used in a rack, and you need to 3d-print an adapter and then use a generic blower to force air through, that isn't necessary with this one.

I've got as much of the software as I could dig up (Intel has pretty much scrubbed the listing off the site but they still hosted the actual software at the time I was looking) but there's not a whole lot out there on actually using them. Apparently it's basically a minimal freeBSD instance that you can telnet into? I don't really know how to do telnet over PCIe or what the credentials would be though - maybe it'll be more obvious after getting the software set up.

I kinda have a thing for awful hardware though. Not just like bad hardware that didn't match up to the competition, but the hindenburgs of hardware, where the market collectively looked at it and pissed themselves laughing and then went back to business as usual. One of these days I'm going to score a Cannon Lake NUC as well, very interested in that too.

(I actually just like esoteric hardware in general... I would love a HDPlex H5 system, and one of the Streacom DB4 cubes, and one of the Zalman Reserator "inspired by your 1900s wall heating radiator" towers, and one of the phase-change cases with the refrigerator pump (yes, they're still made, just still insanely expensive)... too many toys, too little money. I did successfully acquire a Broadwell 5775C for my Z97 system though, someone in china dumped a ton of them onto the surplus market for $100 a pop and they seem to be legit! Using it as a HTPC and it's cute, it turns out it even has Maxwell-v1 style "hybrid" H265 decoding that doesn't seem to be documented anywhere!)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 11, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Paul MaudDib posted:

This is an AMD quadfather, aka the 4x4 Platform.

Oh my god hell yes, ive been wanting one of these. I also love that all these years later, Intel basically did the exact same concept with the Xeon W-3175X and the end result was... exactly the same. Fantastic.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Combat Pretzel posted:

to slightly qualify the previous answer:

yes, as previously noted, pcie lanes are pcie lanes for the most part. Barring the processor or motherboard UEFI imposing some additional limitations, you can put anything on any pcie lane. This is even true of the NVMe lanes in fact - you can take a M.2 slot and put a riser on it that will let you run a GPU or any other PCIe device using the vertical mount on a case, for example, or attach a U.2 SSD. And there is even at least one instance (Asrock Rack X470D4U) of a motherboard wiring the "NVMe lanes" to an actual PCIe slot, and the 10gbe version of that board (X470D4U-2T) actually wires the 10gbit controller to the NVMe lanes. For the most part, they are just lanes.

One of the more wild variants on this technique is that the expresscard slot on thinkpads/latitudes laptops is actually a pcie 1.1x1 or 2.0x1 breakout (depending on the Expresscard generation) - and you can actually get eGPU enclosures which plug into this! The performance hit is probably terrible but it also gives you a way to run a modern GPU and get DP 1.2 outputs and so on (many of the "classic" models are trapped with DP 1.1) so you could use it with a modern monitor more easily.

Now - as previously mentioned, the thing you have to watch is that APUs don't necessarily have the same PCIe capabilities as other AMD cpus. 2000/3000/4000 series APUs are limited to PCIe 3.0x8 on their main slot and I don't believe they are capable of splitting it, to my understanding the only option is x8x0x0 so not all slots may function on the board. Contrary to early assumptions/lazy reviewers, the desktop incarnations of Cezanne do support 3.0x16 though, although I'm not sure what ways it's capable of splitting it, whether it's the normal x8x4x4 or what.

However, all APUs are currently PCIe 3.0 as well. It's not a showstopper by any means, it's not going to affect performance on your main slot all that much, but you don't get much advantage from X570 either and there's not really a point to PCIe 4.0 SSDs unless there's other performance characteristics that are notably better besides sequential transfers.

but yes, you can absolutely plug in a 10gbe or Infiniband QDR or a SAS controller card into your main slot with an APU and it will work fine!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

Oh my god hell yes, ive been wanting one of these.

der8auer actually did a really nice video on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbOeipsViI4

it's a neat little bit of esoteric hardware, but if you go after one, try to be sure that it comes with all the parts you need - as I said, it really needs the 3 chipset fan units, and I don't think there's any current-production fans that will fit the Socket F/Socket G34 mount. You could look through what would have been common at the time and see if anything supports it - despite being a "server" mount it's actually not terribly uncommon - but make sure it comes with a full kit of mounting hardware because it could easily have been lost given that most people probably didn't use it. I asked Noctua if they had anything sitting in the back of the warehouse somewhere that might support it and nope. Also there's a couple variants of the Socket G34 ILM apparently (similar to LGA2011 square vs narrow ILM) so make sure you know which one your cooler supports. If you're having to seek out a lot of parts it's likely going to get expensive, if you can find them at all (cpus - easy but add up, coolers - moderately difficult, the chipset coolers - lol good luck) but on the other hand they don't come up that often either so...

the other kinda oddball thing about it is this is still the era of single-channel memory - so technically you don't need to populate all four slots, there is no performance benefit to doing so. I think DDR2 maxes out at 2GB sticks though so you may want to do it on the basis of capacity alone. Seems like a little bit of an odd decision given that Socket 939 introduced dual-channel to the consumer world years earlier but maybe there just wasn't board space/wasn't felt to be the need with dual-socket already? At the start there was very little performance difference between single-channel and dual-channel - Socket 754 iterations of Athlon were seen as a bargain vs Socket 939 because there was very little performance difference. But you'd think server platforms would pull out all the stops - or at least that's how it's done nowadays.

I think it'd be funny to try doing the "2 gamers 1 rig" thing with 2008 era hardware. With the 8260SEs you could even get a full 4 cores / 4GB per user, absolutely luxurious by 2008 standards!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

Sickos Unite: I have purchased a Cursed Artifact. An Athlon 5350 on Socket AM1. Time for an effort post.

I want you to know that this inspired me to pull the trigger on an FM2+ build that I plan to put together over the holidays

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
What's the nearest thing on the AMD consumer horizon now that Alder Lake is out?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

What's the nearest thing on the AMD consumer horizon now that Alder Lake is out?

Zen 3 refresh with 3D-stacked cache is expected to be announced at January 4th at CES and released not long after. Zen 4 will supposedly be out late 2022.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Also rumblings of maybe a 6000 series apu with (finally) an rdna2 based igpu on (lp)ddr5. Please make the soc of my dreams!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

gradenko_2000 posted:

I want you to know that this inspired me to pull the trigger on an FM2+ build that I plan to put together over the holidays

Hell yeah! FM2+ pal. I picked up that weird spattering of FM2 Athlons to write an effort post about how bulldozer evolved over time... and then found out that AT already did that piece years ago. :(

https://www.anandtech.com/show/10436/amd-carrizo-tested-generational-deep-dive-athlon-x4-845

But I guess once i get off my rear end and post the gaming results, at least I would have done my testing with a 3090, somethin those 2016 dorks coulda never dreamed of!!! :black101:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Zen 3 refresh with 3D-stacked cache is expected to be announced at January 4th at CES and released not long after. Zen 4 will supposedly be out late 2022.

This is what I'm waiting to see - I figure it will be the AM4 capstone and the one major upgrade I might do to my main machine in the coming year. My GPU is still holding its own, and the GPU market is so batshit crazy anything on that front will likely be farther out. I figure my 32GB of 3200mhz RAM will continue to be serviceable for a while, and a beefier CPU than a 3600X the most likely place I could see an appreciable uplift.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This is what I'm waiting to see - I figure it will be the AM4 capstone and the one major upgrade I might do to my main machine in the coming year. My GPU is still holding its own, and the GPU market is so batshit crazy anything on that front will likely be farther out. I figure my 32GB of 3200mhz RAM will continue to be serviceable for a while, and a beefier CPU than a 3600X the most likely place I could see an appreciable uplift.

Same here. One last hurrah on the AM4/DDR4 platform and let that baby ride for as long as it can. Having AM4 stick around this long has been really nice.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Micro Center has further reduced the price on 5950X. For the past 2 months-ish, it has been $699 ($100 off MSRP). It is now $669. I hadn't been keeping tabs on other 5000 series CPUs, but the pricing on what Denver has in stock is:

* 5900X -- $449
* 5800X -- $329
* 5600X -- $249
* 5700G -- $269
* 5600G -- $219

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Still grossly overpriced compared to the $300 12700k there.

I'm curious what AMD's price positioning implies about the January announcement.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

K8.0 posted:

I'm curious what AMD's price positioning implies about the January announcement.

Everything is too weird for me to engage haruspex mode. I'm just reporting the data :)

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

mdxi posted:

Micro Center has further reduced the price on 5950X. For the past 2 months-ish, it has been $699 ($100 off MSRP). It is now $669. I hadn't been keeping tabs on other 5000 series CPUs, but the pricing on what Denver has in stock is:

* 5900X -- $449
* 5800X -- $329
* 5600X -- $249
* 5700G -- $269
* 5600G -- $219

Using $/core as a metric just because, the 5900X has dipped below the $40/core mark for the first time. May be the only 5-series cpu that has to date.

Still not the glorious sub $30/core I paid for the 3600 ($175/6 cores) but this is good to see.

Though like others in this thread I'm waiting on the hopeful fire sale on the final Zen 3 chips when Zen 4 hits the street, a really good price on a 59xx chip may sway me earlier.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AM1 Part 2 - Time 2 gAMDe.

The Jaguar architecture in our lil' Athlon 5350 CPU powered more gaming consoles than any other architecture in history, shipping over 175 million units between the PS4 and Xbone families. So clearly our little guy is a GAMING BEAST, but lets run some tests!

Unfortunately for these results, the parts released for the AM1 platform were explicitly targeted at the budget market, and they would not enjoy the large die-sizes and healthy integrated subsystems of its console cousins. Lets start with the good: the Athlon 5350 will happily boost over 2ghz while sipping power, giving it higher clocks than the original PS4 or Xbone. But that is basically where the favorable comparisons with the consoles end.

The desktop parts maxed out at just 4 distinct cores, half as many as found in the consoles. They were paired with a 1 channel DDR3-1600 interface for 12.8GB/s of bandwidth, vs the 176GB/s GDDR5 on the PS4. And its little IGP was also on the strugglebus: 128 unified shaders at 600mhz. The PS4 had 1152 shaders at 800mhz... so yeah.

But as a reminder, this CPU was supposed to be about $50! And while AMD did discuss gaming on AM1, it clearly wasn't the focus of the platform. With that said, it does have something fun for us to play with: a 16x PCIe slot!

Well, a 16x PCIe slot that is electrically only 4x PCIe 2.0. lol.

And because logic has no place on this forum, we will be testing with both a 960 2gb (which would be roughly equivalent to a "high end" card at AM1's launch) AND an RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra that costs roughly 20x what this CPU+motherboard would cost at launch.

All tests (except 5950X) use:
2x 4GB DDR3 1333
GTX 960 2GB or RTX 3090 24GB
1tb MX-500 SATA SSD
Clean Windows 11 Install
All OS/Driver updates installed for each platform, then paused for testing.

TESTS

3dmark

960:

This is a fun example of the spectrum of CPU vs GPU bottlenecks. In 06, our 960 will run as fast as the CPU can feed it, and our little 5350 loses to even the lowest Sandy Bridge Celeron.

In the much more modern Time Spy however, our 2015-era GTX 960 is completely outgunned and becomes the bottleneck.

3090:

With the big boy, Time Spy finally shows some scaling. I should note that the 5950X actually hit some weird bugs in both 3dmark06 and 3dmark11 where it has essentially maxed the score and the software has no idea what to do anymore. So the true score may theoretically even be higher than shown.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (1080p High Preset, Avg FPS)

960:

I ended up using the high preset because this game runs surprisingly well on basically everything. The scaling, however, is pretty odd with a 960. We actually have a few bottlenecks simultaneously here. Both the GPU and CPU are struggling, and who is holding who back is sometimes unclear, as we will see in the next chart.

3090:

With the 3090, suddenly the 5950X launches into the stratosphere with a much more willing dance partner. Interestingly, while the 5350 gains a little ground, a lot of the earlier CPUs are still hampering performance. This is also one of the tests that really shows how cool the 2600k was, even able to handily beat a TDP limited 3770S from the next generation.

Horizon Zero Down (720p Low/Prefer Performance Preset, Avg and Min FPS)

960:

The 5350 finally slays its Sandy Bridge opponents: the 2 core Sandies won't load the benchmark and hang at the loading screen forever.

HZD is a game that has scaling that does not fit the "bottleneck" metaphor. The i7's and 5950x are GPU limited, but throwing increased CPU power at the game despite the bottleneck does still yield some improvement, just nothing close to linear. In my experience, this tends to be the case in a lot of games. The bottleneck concept is still elucidating, it just doesn't always work exactly the way we think it might.

3090:

Our 5350 keeps chugging despite getting the inauspicious "0" in minimum frames. This is another game that is hitting some game engine limitations with the 5950X/3090 combo, as neither was even hitting max clocks during this run.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey (720p Low Preset, Avg and Min FPS)

960:

The 2core Sandies give up again, unable to launch the game. The minimum framerates were a bit erratic with the slower CPUs, despite this data being the aggregate of 5 runs. Interestingly, the 5350 nearly tied a a Bulldozer based FM2 part for the very first time. I also enjoyed the 4790S coming out on top due to run to run variance and the hard wall at the top.

3090:

Aaaand there goes the 5950X.

Fin - Oops I Set a World Record?

I don't think this data is actually that informative for the AM1 platform as much as it is an interesting tale of how far we've come and how some older parts have aged.

As an aside, I also ran each of the parts through all of the 3dmark tests with the 3090 just to see if I could find any other weird software bugs running these old parts. What I didn't consider was that nobody had ever bothered to run a fuckin 3090 with these ancient, memory-holed CPUs that are $10 on ebay.

So, on accident, I set what I think is 88 3dmark World Records over the course of a few days. 8 different tests per CPU, 11 different old CPUs. Which I think is itself a record? Most number of records in a day? 3dmark hit me up wit dat swag.

What I also didn't consider was that i made my 3dmark account long ago and entered a dumb joke name. So, for anyone who looks up their old CPU on the results browser and sees that the record holder is me with my stupid name, i want to apologize in advance.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 17, 2021

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
This is awesome. Those 3d Mark records are amazing lmao

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Cygni posted:

So, for anyone who looks up their old CPU on the results browser and sees that the record holder is me with my stupidgood and proper name, i want to apologize in advance.

:colbert:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So I read that almost all Zen based systems have odd USB issues. I also read it could be motherboard brand based issues. I don't know but my Gigabyte Aorus Pro wifi x570 definitely has issues with all the ports, both USB 3, 3.1, and 2.0. Basically cut outs and some devices go offline requiring an unplug and replug.

Whats going on here?

[edit] DEFINITELY the latest bios.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 19, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

redeyes posted:

So I read that almost all Zen based systems have odd USB issues. I also read it could be motherboard brand based issues. I don't know but my Gigabyte Aorus Pro wifi x570 definitely has issues with all the ports, both USB 3, 3.1, and 2.0. Basically cut outs and some devices go offline requiring an unplug and replug.

Whats going on here?

[edit] DEFINITELY the latest bios.

I have not heard of this, and haven't experienced anything like that myself on a Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

For a while there on r/AMD, a bit after the 5000 series CPU rollouts, there was a small-ish but very vocal contingent of people who were reporting weird USB HID layer dropouts.

Of course they didn't describe them that way, but the devices in question were always human interface type stuff, and not something more exotic like a scanner, or USB mass storage, or USB networking dongles.

Anyway, yes, for a while it was being frequently reported, and just as frequently being met with other people responding "we have no idea what you're talking about; all our stuff works just as well as it has for years." I never had any issues like that, but I'm also not using Windows so my USB driver stack is completely different, and it's been a minute since I've seen an angrypost about it.

My assumption was that the problem was some sort of driver regression corner case bullshit, which I further assumed did eventually get fixed since everyone over there pretty much shut up about it :shrug:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
If I update to the latest BIOS for my motherboard my mouse and keyboard stop working with my RAM OC so I just reverted back even though it said I couldn't. And it was quite goofy, they would work on the front USB but not on the IO panel USB.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
AMD acknowledged the USB issue and it was fixed a couple AGESA versions ago; IIRC it was related to spurious fake errors on the PCI bus.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have not heard of this, and haven't experienced anything like that myself on a Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570.

Articles about it:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16498/amd-usb-connectivity
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16554/amd-set-to-roll-out-agesa-firmware-usb-fix-for-ryzen-coming-april

mdxi posted:

My assumption was that the problem was some sort of driver regression corner case bullshit, which I further assumed did eventually get fixed since everyone over there pretty much shut up about it :shrug:

Nah, it's a known thing at a much deeper level than the driver or chipset software. The fixes / potential fixes have all come in the form of BIOS updates to the AGESA microcode. (I've never had problems, but I was hoping that AMD would do the right thing and send out bios updates to 300-series motherboards as well, so I could get a final AGESA update for Zen 2 CPUs on my X370. Alas, no.)

But yeah it's quite uncommon, and the symptom is a very short cut-out of connectivity + power to the device. Most devices pop back basically instantly, but sometimes not.

If I did have a device that was fritzing out I'd look at pretty much all the other more mundane USB possibilities first, including cables, whether plugging into case ports or directly into the mobo in the back, and whether it happens with subsets of devices to see if maybe one of the devices is specifically responsible.

Like, the most common people to complain were guys with VR headsets. Well, on one hand that makes sense: you notice a rare momentary dropout in a VR headset that would be invisible on a mouse or something. On the other hand, I'd almost guarantee that some of those people actually had bad cables or ports from tripping over / yanking on their cords one too many times. Lol VR.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My 3090 is officially dead :(

Wrong thread lol. Still gonna leave this here though.

Stanley Pain fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 20, 2021

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Stanley Pain posted:

You should definitely send it to this dude: https://www.youtube.com/c/NorthridgeFix

I've seen him fix quite a few 3090s.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I know that when I was shopping for a motherboard for my current system I saw a lot more complaints about USB issues in reviews on Gigabyte boards than I did for other manufacturers.

Gigabyte also tends to put a lot more USB ports on their boards than the competition. I suspect this may be related.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

redeyes posted:

You should definitely send it to this dude: https://www.youtube.com/c/NorthridgeFix

I've seen him fix quite a few 3090s.

Or not, because he's working through a massive backlog and has stopped accepting GPUs.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Stanley Pain posted:

What happened? As a 3090 owner I’m interested ha. Hope you make a post in the GPU thread about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cygni posted:

What happened? As a 3090 owner I’m interested ha. Hope you make a post in the GPU thread about it.

I'm not 100% sure, but it started as a game or two hard booting my system and progressively got worse. Had to run the card at 50% power to avoid a hard boot.