Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

PerniciousKnid posted:

I don't think it's really fair to assume that someone who enjoys KDM is explicitly endorsing the entire franchise extended universe

No one here said anything close to this, someone just made that accusation that we had by calling out KDM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
:nws::nms:

Let's see if the KDM kickstarter is as bad as I remember...
:nws::nms:

Oh no it's worse.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lol this poo poo is awful. absolutely embarrassing

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Remember when I said I have no opinions about KDM? Well now I do.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I finally got my copy of the Avalon Big Box/Quest and the rules for quest look super interesting. Director's cut def seems like the go to, things seem like it would be stack against team evil without the blind hunter. Excited for when I finally get to play it now that i got it, hopefully sometime during the holidays.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kingdom Death is a game that tries to be "adult" but does so by crossing lines that we - broadly and generally, with exceptions, the SA TG community - are not OK with. I think it's fair to say there's a minority of posters here who either don't care about the transgressive stuff, or don't think it's a big deal, and I'm not going to hand out probes to people for liking Kingdom Death if they are just talking about the basic boardgame. I'm also not going to hit people with probations for pointing out what's wrong with it, and it's understandable given exactly what's wrong with it that people have strong feelings about it.

If you feel like the thread is gatekeeping because they jump all over people who post happy things about fun times playing Kingdom Death, well, sorry. It is. People here in TG know about Kingdom Death, they know where it came from and how it sold itself and anyone who claims to love it is going to be seen as suspiciously willing to look the other way when it comes to graphic depictions of sexualized violence. I can't reasonably ask people to not have and express strong feelings about it. This thread and this community is watchful at the gates for certain things: Zak S, Nazis, homophobia, bigotry. Kingdom Death doesn't quite meet the level of unacceptable as those things, but it's also never going to be accepted by the broader SA TG community as a cool OK fun game to play and chat about and suggest to people.

Crackbone posted:

You don’t need to be dubious, you’re completely right. Nobody who wasn’t already some sort of gamer was buying into KDM as an entry point.

There are people who are introduced to this game by a gamer friend who bought the thing, and if their only point of contact is the actual box and game materials, I can understand why they might be shocked by the level of disgust and animosity that posting about it here engenders. However I can't think of a way to shelter people from that shock, that doesn't also involve asking people not to be angry about the poo poo in Kingdom Death, and well, I'm loving angry about it too, you know?

I guess try not to be excessively mean to people. Ugh. I need a drink.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
That's fair enough, I'll steer clear of any kind of endorsement of it in the future. There's certainly nothing I disagree with in the criticisms of the sexual content in the game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I want to be horny anymore, I just want to kill monsters.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

That kickstarter has like three really cool figures, a few boring ones, and a ton of gross figures I would be embarrassed to play with. Like, I'm trying to imagine the social situation where someone busts out the bikini girls and the sex slaves and everyone is cool with it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Leperflesh posted:

There are people who are introduced to this game by a gamer friend who bought the thing, and if their only point of contact is the actual box and game materials, I can understand why they might be shocked by the level of disgust and animosity that posting about it here engenders. However I can't think of a way to shelter people from that shock, that doesn't also involve asking people not to be angry about the poo poo in Kingdom Death, and well, I'm loving angry about it too, you know?

The only answer to that is to ostracise people who support KDM. I see them as the sexual imagery equivalent of that guy in the famous post about redefining the rules of chess - you support them and they'll lick their lips and say "care for a game?" To which all you can say is no. You either play a proper game, or you don't play with us.

And I'd forgotten just how bad the first Kickstarter campaign was. The gameplay expansions are a contents list and a small sketch that in all but one case is black and white. The minis that would make Goreans blush but which KDM fans always insist have no connection to actual gameplay and you don't have to buy them? 3D test images of the minis accompanied by full colour art. And as I recall there was no rulebook or gameplay video available when it launched, maybe not ever. It doesn't matter what is and is not in the core box. It's obvious that the game was only ever a way to sell titty minis and worse, and was quite probably only created in the run-up to - or after - the campaign. Now as I understand it that was de-emphasised in the second campaign, but even so; it's still the same people and I've had enough of a glimpse into their heads that I don't want to support them or anything they do.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The first image I shared is from the base game rulebook and is immediately recognizable as depicting rape to anyone that sees it. The “pinups and graphic stuff is optional” claim is flat out lying. And yeah, they def try to hide all of that while still showing off anime titty minis for a reason and it’s all just gross, way more gross than I even realized at the start of this derail.

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
I didn't see this posted yet, seems like bug news: Asmodee purchased Miniature Market at some point during 2021
Asmodee is also in talks of being purchased themselves by Embracer Group, a Swedish video game company.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jedit posted:

I see them as the sexual imagery equivalent of that guy in the famous post about redefining the rules of chess - you support them and they'll lick their lips and say "care for a game?"

Have a link to it? I can't find it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Fat Samurai posted:

To be fair, the game miniatures are not something you’d see on the Titty Miniatures thread. The other miniatures the company sells, and the manual art, however…

I’m going to revise this in light of recent posts and say that it was way worse than I remembered/saw on TTS holy poo poo.

It’s a drat pity, because the “build a settlement to equip your D&D party” is a cool idea, but instead of a cool, unique game we got this.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Fat Samurai posted:

I’m going to revise this in light of recent posts and say that it was way worse than I remembered/saw on TTS holy poo poo.

It’s a drat pity, because the “build a settlement to equip your D&D party” is a cool idea, but instead of a cool, unique game we got this.

Primal and the previously mentioned Townsfolk Tussle sidestep all this garbage.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

gschmidl posted:

Primal and the previously mentioned Townsfolk Tussle sidestep all this garbage.

Thanks! I’ll take a look.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cool Dad posted:

That kickstarter has like three really cool figures, a few boring ones, and a ton of gross figures I would be embarrassed to play with. Like, I'm trying to imagine the social situation where someone busts out the bikini girls and the sex slaves and everyone is cool with it.

So I saw KDM being played once at two different LGSs. I frequented them but never saw those players again. Can’t say I saw the gross minis, and I can’t recall if or how I complained to the owners, but those people do exist. And it’s telling of general LGS culture that people feel fine bringing that in public, along with the Nazi 40k armies and other things people tend to complain about wrt inclusivity.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Have a link to it? I can't find it.

This isn't the original, it's someone quoting it, but the original seems to have been lost to the mists of time - I can't even find it with Archives.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

A better analogy would be if someone walks into a championship tournament, says "GEE I THINK I MAY HAVE TRANSCENDED THE UNDERSTANDING OF SOME OF YOU GRANDMASTERS HERE, WANT TO JOIN MY NEW SCHOOL OF CHESS STRATEGY?", then loses by scholar's mate twice in the first round.

This person then refuses to leave his seat, claiming that he needs additional proof that the queen in f7 actually ontologically exists before he will admit defeat, and that the rules of the CHESS ESTABLISHMENT were unfairly biased against him by disallowing the possibility of his king being able to leapfrog pieces.

Then he pulls out an ancient shopping list from 1905 and claims that "1. Eggs" means 'The King', "2. Butter" means 'can', and "3. Milk" means 'leapfrog'. This is admissible evidence for his case because he has lived according to the dictates of this list since he was a teenager, and it has drastically improved his quality of life. When the referees tell him that this makes no loving sense, he drags them into a three hour debate over the precise meaning of the words 'makes', 'no', 'loving', and 'sense'.

When people point out that there is more than enough evidence to suggest his list is just a scrap of paper from some long-dead housewife's purse, he rather proudly points out how close-minded they are in dismissing outright the possibility that the list was in fact a secret coded message on the best way to live life, originally formulated by Atlanteans and passed down through the ages disguised as everyday documents. After all, if one starts with the presupposition that such a document exists, then it would be very fair to argue that it is indeed in the form of his shopping list.

Never mind that his previous interpretations of the list led to three convictions and time served for robbery, hate crimes, and murder. These were just unfortunate misinterpretations on his part of the list's true intentions, he says. The list itself is blameless. In fact, the Atlanteans deliberately obfuscated the true meaning of the list in this way, so that it would require multiple failed misinterpretations before one would happen across its TRUE meaning, and in doing so appreciate it all the more.

In fact, he does have some evidence to back up his claims. Why, just last week during his daily meditation on the list, he felt it telling him that something good was about to happen in his future. And yesterday, wouldn't you know it, he found a twenty dollar note on the sidewalk! Evidence of the list's prophetic powers if I ever saw one. And believe him, he has many more stories where that came from.

By now, the debate has splintered off into innumerable tangents, with the one man against literally every other player and referee present at the tournament. Finally, he graciously accepts the possibility of defeat in some of the myriad topics now being covered. OK, maybe the tallest player doesn't always get to go first. Fine, I will concede that there isn't much evidence to support my third-invisible-knight hypothesis. But that's all irrelevant. What he wants to concentrate on, and what nobody has yet been able to disprove, he adds, is the ability of the king to leapfrog over other pieces.

The argument drags on for weeks. Finally, one afternoon, the beet-faced referee exhausts his last reserves of decency and throws his arms up in frustration and despair. "YOU loving [REDACTED] , HOW CAN YOU LAY CLAIM TO KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT CHESS STRATEGY WHEN YOU DON'T EVEN GRASP THE MOST BASIC RULES!?" He shouts, just as a new entrant walks through the door. "I'm sorry," replies the man calmly, "I simply cannot discuss the rules of chess with such an 'official' if you insist on using such strong and uncouth language. Please retract your insults or I will be forced to plug my ears whenever you say anything from now on."

Seeing only this last exchange, the new entrant pipes up. "He's right, you know. If he did something wrong, then you as the referee have every right to tell him he is so, but it should be done with a patient and thorough explanation of the details of his error. Hurling ridicule at him solves nothing and won't change anyone's mind."

The lazy eye of the [REDACTED] List-following, King-leapfrogging man twitches almost unnoticeably, as he cranes his head towards the source of this new voice. A welcoming smile cracks, inch by beaming inch, across his face. He licks his lips. He clears his throat.

"So glad to know decent people like you still value a polite discussion. Care for a game?"

edit: these things are always posted fairly early in the PYF forum quotes threads

E: Redacted the word we don't use here any more.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 19, 2021

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

(you missed an instance of it fyi) but always a good story to read

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Infinitum posted:

I want to be horny anymore, I just want to kill monsters.

it's ok to do both. that's the entire sword and sorcery genre (the best genre) and im very normal and strong and handsome (wore a tuxedo last night) and don't play at flgs and also am having a lot of fun playing kdm (not scared to see a boob or a penis) with MY WIFE

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

appalled that this thin blooded thread would stand by and allow these monsters to go un-slayed smdh

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

silvergoose posted:

(you missed an instance of it fyi)

Oops, sorry - fixed.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

jarofpiss posted:

it's ok to do both. that's the entire sword and sorcery genre (the best genre) and im very normal and strong and handsome (wore a tuxedo last night) and don't play at flgs and also am having a lot of fun playing kdm (not scared to see a boob or a penis) with MY WIFE

jarofpiss posted:

appalled that this thin blooded thread would stand by and allow these monsters to go un-slayed smdh

Lol what?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
It’s just worse gloomhaven, what’s the appeal

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

currently gluing human hands coming out of the anus of this giant bird monster model ready to die on the hill that kdm is good

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

sorry, *cloaca

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Well I'm convinced.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Chill la Chill posted:

So I saw KDM being played once at two different LGSs. I frequented them but never saw those players again. Can’t say I saw the gross minis, and I can’t recall if or how I complained to the owners, but those people do exist. And it’s telling of general LGS culture that people feel fine bringing that in public, along with the Nazi 40k armies and other things people tend to complain about wrt inclusivity.

I backed KDM and the Gambler's chest during the latest Kickstarter, and I got the core game in a few weeks ago.

I like the "try to build a settlement from scraps starting with four naked people throwing rocks" gameplay loop. Something about the huge swings of fortune and loss as you're progress through difficult combat and risky events. You lose survivors you've spent hours playing over multiple sessions, and just have to keep moving forward. That struggle/overcoming appeals to me. I like the theme, but not from a "grimdark fantasy" standpoint, but from the fact that it's a bit.. weird, like in a Kentaro Miura sort of way (same reason I like the theme in Etherfields).

If you want titty minis, you just get a mini in a box with some minor card that goes into a random deck, and otherwise the mini is just a fixture to look at and paint. I could understand the appeal if you're into painting, like some people buy Warhammer mainly as a collectable hobby than a game. It seems like there's a split in KDM players where some are like painters/collectors and really into titty catgirls, some are way too into "xXx_dArK_fAntasy_xXx", and some are euro masochists who also play Agricola.

I play with my wife and neither of us were bothered and that your junk is hanging out half the game, but I wouldn't fault anyone that didn't like the theme. And some of the add-on minis (like the Ammo Slave) are a bit too distasteful as well.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Honestly i'm not gonna get up in the grill of someone who wants to jerk it to hosed up guro minis, I mean go with God. Lord knows I don't want my peers and haigiographers making inferences on my character based on *my* fetish gear.

I just gotta wonder why so many KDM fans felt the need to involve three other players, and also the whole rear end game store on sunday morning, in their clothes-on edging sesh. Like is that part of the kink? Is me being here with my Funyuns and a copy of Bohnanza adding something for you? Cuz it's definitely subtracting something for me.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Normal game stores don’t allow KDM players because they all suck, sorry KDM players who post ITT but you’re the board game equivalent of the warhammer players who give their armies german names and nobody likes you

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What do German Warhammers call their armies then? :thunk:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
They can start enjoying games when they give back our goddamn bikes

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Infinitum posted:

"Mein Armee".

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

What I don't get is why people are so chill about Whitehall Mystery, a game about a real woman who was really murdered, dismembered and left around London. That's a game explicitly about sexual violence but everyone seems fine with it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Because it's incredible and it doesn't focus on that aspect.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Because, OP, the killer is a bad guy and you have to catch him. The game isn’t a morose slog in which you’re repeatedly told how much rape is happening, because the designers accurately guessed that normal people just need a few pointers that create a backdrop for the game. If you actually think the games are comparable in the themes they evoke you might be an alien

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Got notified my preorder of Great Western Trail 2nd Edition just got pushed to Q1 2022 :argh:

------------------------------------------

One of my major vendors at work gave me a $200 gift card as a thank you for looking after them this year, so...

A mate and I have been talking about this one for a bit, and being able to able to snag it for 'free' was a no brainer.
Added bonus it's the recent 2nd Edition reprint with the updated models - Score!

What really tipped the scales was No Roles Barred rather excellent 2 part Lets Play of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vuc-2TTSL4A

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

"Republicans" and "Qanon". Not sure about the difference.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

gutterdaughter posted:

I just gotta wonder why so many KDM fans felt the need to involve three other players, and also the whole rear end game store on sunday morning, in their clothes-on edging sesh. Like is that part of the kink? Is me being here with my Funyuns and a copy of Bohnanza adding something for you? Cuz it's definitely subtracting something for me.

I would've thought edamame for Bohnanza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

We completed March on Pandemic Season 0 yesterday, and I have a doubt because things look too under control: Spoilers for February and March, I guess.

We stopped all the trials, so we have no Infection cards on the deck. I've checked twice and I'm pretty sure you don't get any surprise infection if you get all cities, but skipping a whole mechanic seems weird. Am I missing something?