Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I have Walked the End, and never have I seen a story that has so many good moments yet is so relentlessly determined to piss it away. What a loving mess of an expansion, and I can't believe this is the same team that did Shadowbringers.
Yeah same but please elaborate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

homeless snail posted:

Yeah same but please elaborate

I can almost guarantee the issue is (ending spoilers) Cythereal hates Zenos.

And if I’m wrong I apologise for assuming.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I mean I have the complaint that (spoilers for all EW) all the plot is motivated by people being stupid, whether Hermes or Meteion or Venat or space civilizations but something tells me that's not what they meant

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Cythereal posted:

I have Walked the End, and never have I seen a story that has so many good moments yet is so relentlessly determined to piss it away. What a loving mess of an expansion, and I can't believe this is the same team that did Shadowbringers.
Certified Cythereal Classic

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I mean I have the complaint that (spoilers for all EW) all the plot is motivated by people being stupid, whether Hermes or Meteion or Venat or space civilizations but something tells me that's not what they meant
Seems like a strange complaint. I mean, they do make bad decisions, arguably, seen from an objective and external viewpoint, but they make them for comprehensible reasons. Venat is probably the 'least' comprehensible and that's more because of an abstract cutscene confusing people, I expect.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
I mean, after the end of a video game experience as engrossing and emotional as Endwalker, I know I appreciate that some things in this world are still the same, still waiting here for me like always. That there is still familiar ground to stand on, and the people I've come to know are still around and thriving.

So thanks, Cythereal!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

if you hate Zenos you get to use the "I have had enough of you" option like Kirk kicking that Klingon in the face, so the ending is still a win

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 20, 2021

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Please tag your spoilers.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
We did everything right! Everything that was asked of us, but still-- still, it came to this!!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cythereal posted:

Is there any deviation in your final opinion from when you read the list of all the story's spoilers ahead of time, or was bias successfully confirmed

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Just remembered when you first get to the Great Work and all the alchemists are lying unconscious on the ground. You think something bad happened but they just didn't have any work to do so they went to sleep together on the grass.

Then when they wake up they bully Estinien

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pwnstar posted:

Just remembered when you first get to the Great Work and all the alchemists are lying unconscious on the ground. You think something bad happened but they just didn't have any work to do so they went to sleep together on the grass.

Then when they wake up they bully Estinien

That town is a bunch of freaks.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Are you sure you didn't download Pisswalker?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

SirSamVimes posted:

Please tag your spoilers.

Right I forgot which thread I was in, sorry

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Is the command to shrink summons available to anyone or does the summoner have to do it? Because it really was awkward trying to see boss tells around titan's badonkadonk in the final trial. First time I've had an issue with that.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

my personal opinion is that final fantasy fourteen endwalker is good

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

You’ll have your on-demand Titan cheeks and you’ll thank the summoner for it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

bagrada posted:

Is the command to shrink summons available to anyone or does the summoner have to do it? Because it really was awkward trying to see boss tells around titan's badonkadonk in the final trial. First time I've had an issue with that.

You have to do it personally. The petsize command only affects what the user sees.

If your summoner uses /petsize small, they won't get Titan's dumptruck covering their screen but you still will.
If you use /petsize small, you will see a small titan even if the summoner plays with /petsize medium or large.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

bagrada posted:

It is a client-side command. You *must* do it yourself because the size the Summoner has chosen doesn't affect what you see.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Important detail: petsize can either effect all pets, OR it can only effect specific pets, so if you want to not have your tells obstructed by titans asscheeks but still want giant bahamut, this is possible

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i refuse to shrink those cheeks

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Anyone who didn't /petsize large the instant 6.0 dropped is a coward

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
where is the /bahamutsize xlarge option and why did they remove it
now that I can actually play summoner without dropping all the plates I'm supposed to be spinning, I demand a bigger dragon

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Holy SMOKES the minor changes to Red Mage are really nice.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Being able to make your own crafted gear when it drops, housing items, music rolls, potions and foods for raiding, they all have their own storylines and casts of characters like the combat classes.

It's fun!

thanks! didn't know they had their own story lines lol

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Consummate Professional posted:

Holy SMOKES the minor changes to Red Mage are really nice.

Super fun being able to do three melee combos in a row if you let black and white mana get up to about 100.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tabletops posted:

thanks! didn't know they had their own story lines lol

There is a lot of story to see with crafters/gatherers.

Each job has an individual quest line up to 70, and from there it's based on role.

Each expansion has at least one tribe where you complete quests by either crafting or gathering, and I will argue they have some of the choicest mounts/minions/emotes. This also means you need to do crafting in order to see the Allied Tribe quests for ARR/HW/SB (they didn't have one for ShB sadly)

And finally there are "Custom Delivery" NPCs that usually have stories about how things are getting back to normal in the various regions after the adventure is over. In addition, the Doman Enclave and Firmament are large-scale versions of this type of story, but you don't need to actually craft for those

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, and you can make decent money off crafting even without worrying about the high-end stuff. furniture, popular glamour gears, and endgame raiding food/potions, for instance, are fairly cheap to make but basically infinite money generators. make a few of each (stacks in the food/pots case), slap them on the marketboard, give it a few days to sell, then make more. takes like 10 minutes every time.

there's also some unique glamours and titles locked behind it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That said, money only really matters if you're buying the new glamour outfit every patch, outfitting a house, or maybe doing raid speedruns and burning through potions like crazy

relatively normal play will give enough income for day to day expenses and the occasional splurge

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

cheetah7071 posted:

That said, money only really matters if you're buying the new glamour outfit every patch, outfitting a house, or maybe doing raid speedruns and burning through potions like crazy

relatively normal play will give enough income for day to day expenses and the occasional splurge
this is why I don't really craft anymore. with the exception of a few giant gil sinks (the golden namazu mount, etc), having lots of gil doesn't get you anything unless you have some self-assigned goal like "collect all the minions". you make number go up so...what? you can continue to watch number go up? it would take a lot of crafting and market playing to make back the expense of putting together a pentamelded set, so I'm just not going to do it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it only takes me a few minutes every now and then like i said, and i like having money laying around. but then im someone who plays all three roles and likes having multiple glamours for each.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

When I say I craft for the story I do mean it, I don't engage with it beyond the stuff in my previous post lol, I tried making a Teamcraft planning page to try to get all my jobs in Facet gear but I realized I wasn't enjoying it so I stopped lol

I haven't really even engaged with new glams since this expansion, I feel like I have an established "concept" for the various roles each having an outfit and I just set it to that now, I don't really even have a sense of what any of the new green or blue gear looks like because I immediately glamour it.

I will probably sit down with one of the fashion sites and see if I want to edit any of my looks. I guess I don't have a well-defined idea for a "striking" look yet, and I think someone posted the new tomestone fending gear and that looked kinda rad, my tank look might be getting the first update

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Gobbeldygook posted:

this is why I don't really craft anymore. with the exception of a few giant gil sinks (the golden namazu mount, etc), having lots of gil doesn't get you anything unless you have some self-assigned goal like "collect all the minions". you make number go up so...what? you can continue to watch number go up? it would take a lot of crafting and market playing to make back the expense of putting together a pentamelded set, so I'm just not going to do it.

For me, having gil is nice because I'm able to funnel that back into my FC. Since it's a smaller FC, I've been fronting a lot of costs for stuff like getting our submarines/airships up and running. I covered the cost of our FC house and stuff like that. Currently working on saving up so that our FC can aim for a larger house in 6.1.

Also, since my wife is a casual player, I like to be able to make sure she always has enough money to buy any glams or anything like that she wants.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

“I craft so I can buy my wife nice things” is maybe one of the sweetest things I’ve ever heard regarding this game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bussamove posted:

“I craft so I can buy my wife nice things” is maybe one of the sweetest things I’ve ever heard regarding this game.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Bussamove posted:

I did cookies on my main and 8 alts for several months before the expansion hit (Bless retainers holy poo poo) and I used that gil (100m) + mine and her mediums to trade for the glade mansion she's been wanting for a long time.

I'm broke dick right now but i get to have the experience of raid logging specifically to support a raid group in their attempt for world first. They finally got it last time and I'm hoping they clutch it again.

Crafting rules even if you don't compete against the bots.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I wonder what glams does he make as a CUL

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Dwesa posted:

I wonder what glams does he make as a CUL

https://www.google.com/search?q=lad...ih=713&dpr=2.81

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I craft so that I can shower my husband in dozens of tacky glowing katanas and catch up gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is there any deviation in your final opinion from when you read the list of all the story's spoilers ahead of time, or was bias successfully confirmed

Remembering that I bought Endwalker because of those spoilers, it turns out my impression of the game was actually quite different from what I was expecting. I went in expecting to mostly like Endwalker and just have an occasional moment of not liking it, like I have in every expansion.

For me, Endwalker peaked in zone three, which in general was one of the best-written and most emotionally effective zones from a narrative perspective I've ever seen in an MMO.

The number one thing that made me mutter under my breath at the game last night "Are you loving kidding me?! Get this bullshit over with." was Zenos appearing almost every goddamn time the game gave me Feelings, in a way that I feel had to be intentional given that it happened repeatedly. And for me, Zenos actively turns the story into a shitshow every time he shows up. Hey, nice final boss you've got there and good moment of hope and triumph and tragedy. 1 V 1 ME BRO! What a waste of narrative pacing.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 20, 2021