Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Lum_ posted:

it actually applies to all online games - Chinese regulators differentiate between games mostly played offline/single player (danji) and online/massively multiplayer (wangluo). The split is mainly to keep esports producers happy (they qualify as danji for ~~reasons~~). The three hour a week ban is for wangluo games which by far are the most popular in the Chinese market.

Paradox games would qualify as danji but due to political considerations as well as being a Western developer are banned without recourse.

my impression was that there was still basically zero enforcement of these time limits. am i wrong on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Fuligin posted:

my impression was that there was still basically zero enforcement of these time limits. am i wrong on this?

Very much so, Tencent and other companies use facial recognition to enforce it.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/93ynj8/tencent-facial-recognition-honor-of-kings

quote:

Tencent has been using facial-recognition technology since 2018 to detect underage users. Gamers registered as adults will be asked to have their face scanned if they behave like minors.

For example, a facial scan is required when a user with a stated age of 60 or above spends more than 1,000 Chinese yuan ($154) on games—it’s likely to be a child using their grandparent’s ID, the thinking goes.

The facial data is then used to verify their identities using a police database.

By June, an average of 5.8 million player accounts were told to go through facial recognition every day, Tencent said.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 4, 2021

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Forcing adults to scan their faces if they act like children is the one thing I agree with on those policies

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Lum_ posted:

uh, the Hearts of Iron series is banned in China for literally this (specifically having an independent Tibet since China noticed it in HOI2 and independent warlords since HOI3)

yeah but Paradox wasn't gonna get their games sold in China anyway by having politics at all, it was a calculated decision

Mans posted:

The Taiping Rebelion isn't on vanila vicky 2???

Holy moly, I never played vanilla and it shows.

they patched it in after getting enough flak for it, presumably over King's raucous anger

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fuligin posted:

kids will always find loopholes but they are definitely serious about enforcement since the big crackdown this year.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lum_ posted:

Also, for everyone feeling superior about the horrible state of Chinese gaming regulation (and it really is horrible, arbitrary, protectionist, *and* corrupt) the Apple IOS app store is even worse.

Apple takes an *extremely* paternalistic view of games and has blocked some history sims from the app store for "depicting violence against real-world individuals". A Civil War wargame got blocked for this reason, and an education game on the Syrian civil war had to remove everything about Syria to get past Apple's censorship -- which of course made its useability as an educational tool pretty useless!

https://venturebeat.com/2013/03/21/endgame-syria-back-on-ios-app-store-with-new-name-and-no-references-to-real-places/

This is a big reason there are almost no decent GSGs/wargames on iOS. Some get through; the enforcement of the rules really depends on who's reviewing applications that day.

Good thing they're not the government!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sinteres posted:

Good thing they're not the government!

People's Republic of China GDP, 2019: 14.28 billion United States Dollars
United States of America GDP, 2019: 21.43 billion United States Dollars
Apple, gross profit, 2019: 55.25 billion United States Dollars

drat I'm glad Apple has no control over my life.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Your GDP there is off by multiple zeroes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You cannot be delusional enough to think apple makes more than the entire US

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

the first two are in trillions, but yes apple does have a large amount of input and is also bad, but apple is also literally not the government and so is less bad, but gets worse year on year

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

This is one billion dollars

This is one Trillion
Learn the difference, it could save your life

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
today in the paradox thread i learned numbers are real and also my friend

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

this is the funniest loving post ive ever read

Cobra Lionfist
Jun 4, 2013
Uh, I've got a Chinese Steam account and the only game I can't get is HoI. Definitely bought CK3 and Imperator with this account. And DLC for EUIV and Stellaris, although I bought those games before migrating the account to China.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

do you have an international steam account set in china or an actual account on chinese steam? because the actual official chinese steam has like, 100 games total and none of them are paradox

it's really weird because international steam in china can still like, actually pay in chinese currency

Cobra Lionfist
Jun 4, 2013
Oh that must be it. My account was created in Europe and migrated it to China later. All the prices are in RMB. Still no HoI IV though.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I wonder if it's a difference between "this is explicitly not going to be allowed, don't even show it" and "this wasn't approved so it can't be on the official chinese steam but we'll let it be on the international one anyways"

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Gaius Marius posted:

This is one Trillion

Well, what is the difference???

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

The Narrator posted:

999 billion

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I wonder if it's a difference between "this is explicitly not going to be allowed, don't even show it" and "this wasn't approved so it can't be on the official chinese steam but we'll let it be on the international one anyways"

Hearts of Iron is the only series China got publicly Big Mad about mainly due to showing an independent Tibet.

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-05/29/content_334845.htm

quote:

Moreover, "Manchuria", "West Xinjiang", and "Tibet" appeared as independent sovereign countries in the maps of the game. In addition, it even included China's Taiwan province as the territory of Japan at the beginning of the game.

"All these severely distort historical facts and violate China's gaming and Internet service regulations," the MOC said. "The game should be immediately prohibited."

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

People's Republic of China GDP, 2019: 14.28 million Swedish Kronor
United States of America GDP, 2019: 21.43 million Swedish Kronor
Paradox Interactive, gross profit, 2019: 374.08 million Swedish Kronor

Why doesn't Paradox simply buy China and change the laws?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
poo poo, I am very smart and understand the economy. And also numbers. They call me a number-understander.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The only number I understand is Taiwan Number One.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

The Narrator posted:

This video may help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOYf_1I4VBQ

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Gaius Marius posted:

This is one Trillion

lmao at being so poor you don't know what $1 billion cash looks like

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

OctaviusBeaver posted:

lmao at being so poor you don't know what $1 billion cash looks like

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Maybe both Apple Computer inc. and the Chinese Communist Party are bad

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
There's a better one

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Please never edit this:homebrew:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dreissi posted:

Please never edit this:homebrew:

Don't worry that poo poo's going on my headstone.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Too bad it's not a thread title material and I am still being reminded of my ignorance of Cromwell.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

ilitarist posted:

Too bad it's not a thread title material and I am still being reminded of my ignorance of Cromwell.

I must admit I spent way too long trying to figure out how to compress the gist of that into a title.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Crom, and if you do not listen, then to Well with you

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Tuna-Fish posted:

I must admit I spent way too long trying to figure out how to compress the gist of that into a title.

Paradox Grand Stategy: Apple has no control over gdp or navies.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
Paradox Grand Strategy: I don't know a lot about Apple

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Paradox Grand Stategy: Learn the difference, it could save your life .

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Paradox Grand Strategy: I don't know a lot about Apple

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Tim Cook? How many divisions has he got?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Drone posted:

winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Drone posted:

That feels like a thread title.