Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
For as bad as survivor pizza is rumored to be, Jeff sure wanted a lot of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
pizza and champagne doesn't sound like a good combo at all, and the pizza did not look great anyway.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Blaming the decline in ratings for S41 on a backlash to being woke or whatever the hell Russell's agenda is nowadays is disingenous nonsense:

quote:

Hantz has been vocally opposed to what he calls “Survivor” becoming “woke” this season, starting with host Jeff Probst doing away with using the term “guys.” He blames this for the falling ratings (which, again, is kind of the nature of broadcast TV now).

“The reason we are losing viewers is because of the wokeness — bottom line. Bottom f***ing line,” said Hantz, adding later, “This is the worst disaster when it comes to ratings in the history of ‘Survivor.'”

https://heavy.com/entertainment/survivor/russell-hantz-season-41-ruining-confusing/

You have to consider the context of a broader ratings decline for all live TV over the years. The ratings will continue to go down for the foreseeable future. Winners at War got worse ratings than Ghost Island, boy that must mean that people were angry about fire tokens and EoE.

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 17, 2021

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

you also cant really compare spring/fall numbers considering how much more competition there is in the fall

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Winners at War got worse ratings than Ghost Island, boy that must mean that people were angry about fire tokens and EoE.

I mean.... yes?? The fire tokens ended up being pretty lame and only came into play at the very end of the season, iirc. I also know that some Survivor fans don't care for returning players and prefer fresh faces. I'm not sure what the consensus is on EoE is, I'm sure fans hate that too.

I just looked at the ratings and I wouldn't say Winners at War got worse ratings than Ghost Island. WaW's ratings were much more consistent overall with a net gain in viewership between start to finish, ghost island had a net loss in viewership. Actually, Season 40 is the only one out of the 4 I looked at that has a net gain of viewers.

That graph you posted actually looks like it shows a big dropoff after Ghost Island, lol. I wonder if other such noticeable drop offs were after other disastrous seasons. Looks like something happened between Season 11-14? And maybe something around Season 21-22.

Brass fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 17, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
7 pixel drop!!! what a disaster!!!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Each pixel represents 5000 fire tokens

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Sort of meh finale for reasons I can't quite put my finger on but Erika is a terrific winner and I am happy for her. Like others have mentioned, very impressed with the way she articulated her case at the end. Maybe the best FTC defense I've heard.

Xander taking Erika to F3 should go down as a Woo-level mistake. I guess it's no surprise that he emulated his (poorly chosen) idol.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 19, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ratings are down because ratings are down for everything because have you heard about streaming?

Ratings were up last season because it was an all star season in the middle of a shutdown when no one could leave the house and nothing else was on TV. See Tiger King. I mean the NBA suspended their season March 11th. Survivor's ratings went up the very next week.

gently caress Russel Hantz, that narcissistic, chudy rear end in a top hat. And Sydney is the narcissistic girl who thought she was a target because everyone in the world hates her for being perfect, right? So makes sense she' clicks with Russell.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 18, 2021

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Hot take: I hate Sydney because she's a bit of a low-class Corinne.

(I do not like Corinne, at all.)

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I barely remember Sydney, I feel like she was hardly part of the show.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLv5cl7NE3A
heather owns

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Finally got caught up on this thread after having to delay my finale watch due to real life and wow I never thought people here would care about ratings. I'd watch survivor if they put it out on dailymotion, and I thought the season was good and had a deserving winner. She killed it at final tribal, while the other two poo poo the bed.

Under-edited early, yes, but if they showed a bunch of Erika content while they were never having a vote, it would be obvious they were setting her up for a win, so they have to show where the action is.

Also Russell Hantz is a fat chode so don't listen to anything that moron says. Sorry they're spoiling your precious game with such evils as more than one black person or *gasp* a gay person [/sarcasm]

After show was fine I thought too. You guys forget, the normal after shows include bullshit segments about asking kids things or fellating Cochran so this is a welcome reprieve imo, despite Jeff's insane champagne and pizza combination.

Finale good. Show good. Can't wait for S42.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
I attribute the dip in ratings to the noticable absence of Boston Rob

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

Amanda was basically just a terrible public speaker who also had the bad luck of teaming up with two of the better winners/talkers of all time. Otherwise she was a pretty great player and I'd say a good social player as well. And she lasted longer her third time than Russell so hopefully that makes him mad.

Parvati's charming but I don't think she's actually that great in front of a jury. Getting a 4-3 win over Amanda (and she very nearly lost if not for Eliza) is not the best performance ever.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

https://twitter.com/russellhantz/status/1472694727128535040

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i know he's desperate for a win, but is the hermain cain award really what he's settling for?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
This is your daily reminder that Hantz was on an episode of Catfish

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:thunk:

Edit: I'm not one to mock someone's appearance but he's the one that made a joke out of it

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 20, 2021

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
He's a terrible person

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

SteveVizsla posted:

This is your daily reminder that Hantz was on an episode of Catfish

Details please. Was he the victim of a Catfish?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I still think that the game rewards victory with move victory. "The winner gets immunity, PLUS food. Losers go to tribal council."

I'd like to see this.

"Want to know what you're playing for? Immunity, a steak dinner, and a tarp. Winner gets first pick of one of those three. Second place gets pick of the left over two. Third place gets the remaining item."

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ApplesandOranges posted:

Parvati's charming but I don't think she's actually that great in front of a jury. Getting a 4-3 win over Amanda (and she very nearly lost if not for Eliza) is not the best performance ever.
iirc Amanda blew that season by crying about how hard she had it voting the jurors out. Like if you're an empathetic person of course that actually is hard to do, but the people you voted out of the game don't want to see you, sitting at the end, feeling sorry for yourself or just apologizing the whole time. I think she could've won that and been seen as an all-time great if she'd just been more confident in what she did and fretted about it less. China she just ran into the Todd buzzsaw, even though she was an equal strategic partner imo, Todd was the face of that partnership and crushed it at FTC. She did pretty well at HvV too, for a hero, although Parv dunked on her in that one.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Trailer for the new Oz season has released. This cast is truly bizarre.

https://youtu.be/EVAliaclFF8

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1nDFmXkrIU

cant wait

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Ok sorry in advance because I’m sure it’s been posted before but… how does one watch AUS Survivor in the US?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Pandaal posted:

Ok sorry in advance because I’m sure it’s been posted before but… how does one watch AUS Survivor in the US?

Paramount+ has 3 seasons of AUS Survivor. It starts with the fourth season that Network 10 ran, called Champions vs Contenders (not returning players), then All Stars, then Brains vs Brawns. However, you will miss out on Seasons 1-3 which is a shame.

Speaking of AUS Survivor, spoilers for seasons 4 and 5 (CvC, All Stars): I love David. He is one of my favorite survivors of all time, but I can see why a ton of people would hate him (I'm looking at you, STAC Goat).

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Does Paramount+ put up the episodes while a new season's airing? I think it might but not sure

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Guess what? The first three Survivor AUS seasons are coming to us americans too.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/new-on-paramount-plus/

I'm watching the first season now and although the gameplay isn't great, drat do they find great people to cast.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

Guess what? The first three Survivor AUS seasons are coming to us americans too.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/new-on-paramount-plus/

I'm watching the first season now and although the gameplay isn't great, drat do they find great people to cast.

I wish they’d started with them! I watched All Stars already so I know the outcomes of those seasons.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Season 2 is truly one of the best seasons of Survivor, would strongly recommend when it’s on Paramount.

Season 1 kinda dips in the middle but the last few episodes are astonishing.

Season 3 doesn’t reach the highs of 2 or 3 but has some great characters.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

blue squares posted:

I wish they’d started with them! I watched All Stars already so I know the outcomes of those seasons.

Australian Survivor is amazing and you shouldn't let this stop you! It can even be more interesting to watch the winners' story arcs when you know how it's going to turn out -- I ended up watching a lot of the US seasons on DVD and the covers straight-up spoiled the winners by putting their photos top-center, but it didn't ruin the rest of the show.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DHF8Y18/?th=1#customerReviews

lmao Ricard

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

So so good

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Which South African and New Zealand seasons are worth watching? All of them?

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

blue squares posted:

I would skip NZ Season 1 and I think SA Seasons 1-5 are sort of a different show, but the rest are pretty good.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Survivor Australia: Brains v Brawn was really a fantastic season!

finally, an AUS season without a Pagonging. I loved how fluid the game was. Great players

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

blue squares posted:

The latest SA season has a phenomenal cast. Also, I looked up how much money they win and it's not even $100k USD which is wild. It's like 65k.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

blue squares posted:

I enjoyed both of the NZ seasons, but couldn't tell you anything about them at this point :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I enjoyed south Africa survivor season 8 way more then s41 of the American version. It's cast were heaps more,,, Low key? Chill? Grateful for the rewards of home cooked spaghetti and fizzy drink :)