Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

This is the Xiaofeng schooling complex in Xinjiang province. Literally an ugly loving prison. And you guys support this ‘architecture’?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
if Russia invaded Ukraine it’s gonna be super funny to see how D&D scream about putin being Hitler and how Cspam will cheer Russia killing the Ukrainian Nazis

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Orange DeviI posted:

This is the Xiaofeng schooling complex in Xinjiang province. Literally an ugly loving prison. And you guys support this ‘architecture’?

brutalism is cool gently caress you

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Orange DeviI posted:

so they are finally remaking riven?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Agrajag posted:

brutalism is cool gently caress you

You have no idea what you are talking about. Just looking at it hurts the soul.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Orange DeviI posted:

drat i wish i were there

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
if that school is functioning and has heating and the walls don’t collapse from water damage it’s better than half of American public schools

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Al-Saqr posted:

if that school is functioning and has heating and the walls don’t collapse from water damage it’s better than half of American public schools

that two chimneys is where they burn the bodies

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Orange DeviI posted:

You have no idea what you are talking about. Just looking at it hurts the soul.

what are you trying to say? the architecture looks fine

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

fart simpson posted:

what are you trying to say? the architecture looks fine

Never once in my entire life I heard "I hate this school because it's ugly"

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Doctor Jeep posted:

that pharoh moron in the d&d thread is comparing schools in tibet, where they teach kids the tibetan language, to the residential schools in the US/Canada
i suppose the only way to be sure these aren't res. schools is to have no schools in tibet, and xinjang as well
actually, make schooling allowed only in regions with a han majority

it really is amazing how those deadshits keep believing the blatant propaganda every single loving time.

that school looks like most of the office buildings in Brisbane. I didnt realise we had a uyghur genocide here too

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Palladium posted:

that two chimneys is where they burn the bodies

I can’t believe you’d joke about this. But I suppose it makes sense—‘brutal’ist architecture for a brutal ideology.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Good bit

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
oh we have a decent chunk of brutalist architecture in perth actually. some of its cool, but some of it is really not suitable for a place that exists directly under a magnifying glass set in front of the eye of the sun

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

I used to camp this spot on my necro, insane xp

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

thatfatkid posted:

it really is amazing how those deadshits keep believing the blatant propaganda every single loving time.

oh, pharoh is a graduate of the PYF tankie moonbat thread, he's an old hand at this

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

thatfatkid posted:

it's funny how the state with the largest prison population in the world (by total and per capita) isn't described as authoritarian by the brave China watchers. I wonder why only China is worthy of such a description 🤔

Atopian, you are dumb.

Don't forget about the "legal" genocide we do

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_government_of_the_United_States

Or that we put immigrants from the Latin and South America that we often are the cause of in concentration camps.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

crepeface posted:

oh we have a decent chunk of brutalist architecture in perth actually. some of its cool, but some of it is really not suitable for a place that exists directly under a magnifying glass set in front of the eye of the sun

That last one is a screenshot from Control.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Not So Fast posted:

it's Mark McGowan's office

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mila kunis posted:

i think they're saying authoritarian is a meaningless propaganda term. the lack of state power doesn't mean power vanishes, it just mean the power vacuum is filled by oligarchs instead. you're free to start a leftist podcast and speak truth to power to like 100 people in brooklyn, but if most of the media has been bought up by the rich and 95% of the population is consuming media that attacks anything to the left of margaret thatcher and billionaires fund and flood old people's facebook walls with brain rot, what does that even mean. also state power never actually vanishes, the usa has a bigger carceral and surveillance apparatus than china does. when you start being an actual threat to the state, well, take a look at the corpses of a bunch of black leaders in US postwar history

Yeah those leftist podcasts are controlled opposition, even if they don't realize it themselves

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Not So Fast posted:

I assume :thejoke:

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Yeah wow what a surprise that the AUTHORITARIAN tankers love a video game called "Control" :smuggo:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mila kunis posted:

Under Chongqing's affordable rental housing policy, a low-income family of three earning 1,000 yuan ($157) a month could live comfortably in a unit with a kitchen and two rooms, paying around $15 or so in monthly rent, excluding electricity and water bills.

:eyepop:
:negative:

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

You: China has a strong central authority that brings some clear advantages in areas like public health crisis mitigation and economic planning but it can also be intrusive in ways that many would find unnecessary and excessive.

Me: Yeah sure absolutely.

You: China is authoritarian.

Me: you loving idiot. You God drat moron shut your stupid mouth.

Serf
May 5, 2011

the point is that every state is "authoritarian" and the question is about who exercises that authority and who do they represent? like we have an example of this just above with the example of how the cpc is exercising their authority to lower rents for people. they see housing not as a vehicle for speculation but as a necessity, which serves the interest of workers. whereas here in america such an exercise of authority would be unthinkable, and instead our political system empowers the people who want to raise rents and oppress the homeless.

is china perfect? absolutely not. but they're a drat sight better than my country, and they seem to be trying to get even better

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DiscountDildos posted:

You: China has a strong central authority that brings some clear advantages in areas like public health crisis mitigation and economic planning but it can also be intrusive in ways that many would find unnecessary and excessive.

China spends about the same as the USA on policing 5x the population

Laws are just paper, the real authoritarian measure is police budget

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DiscountDildos posted:

but it can also be intrusive in ways that many would find unnecessary and excessive.

I guess this might apply to you if you were a pedo sexpat teacher or a comprador or a billionaire

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Rutibex posted:

Well there's that, and the ability of the empowered to completely circumvent the legal processes that are supposed to project everyone equally.

Good thing we don't have that problem here in the US.

Yep. Sure is good.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

DiscountDildos posted:

Lol you think you're smart

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, usually more centralized systems require a degree of popular sovereignty or they simply fail (Romania 1989). Even if China’s system of democracy is more indirect, it is also very clearly popular and supported. If it wasn’t, it become clear fast.

In degenerated liberal systems, often the public is strung along with the hope that the next election will fix the situation but often there is “flipping flopping” between parties as neither side offers any relief until faith in the system finally collapses.

It isn’t that liberal democracy can’t bring change, but it usually requires the public such as recently in Bolivia to make their voice heard or “else.”

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

DiscountDildos posted:

Sorry but government overreach affecting my life for the sake of not living in a genocidal and terminally ill society where I already have no control over my life or hope for the future doesn't sound like the evil thing you seem to think it is

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Well that joke didn't land at all lmao

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
it was a joke? it sounded to me like just more uncritical sinophobic framing. Poe's law I guess

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Rutibex posted:

most Chinese cops don't even have guns.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And their current attempt to justify the apparent cultural genocide in Tibet through the use of actual goddamn residential schools.

But as long as you :decorum: you can say anything because the D&D rules say you have to pretend everyone is being sincere. So the same half dozen pro-genocide boot lickers drop in once a week to play sophmore debate club with their unread copy of Marx in one hand and a stamp with "WELL ACTUALLY" in the other.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It took the CCP's version of room 101 an entire 47 days to get her to recant. She really held on.

Alchenar posted:

The DnD thread is now irrevocably broken. Nobody even tries to post anything interesting anymore because they know within a day or two a CSPAM driveby squad will swing through and drown out any interesting discussion.

The killer thing on Peng is that if it's all just a case of mistranslation and you don't think she's under house arrest, why did the state censorship apparatus go into overdrive to squash any mention of the story in China? The most charitable possible conclusion is that state security instinctively went into cover-up mode before reading properly to see whether there was anything to actually cover up, which should lead you to some obvious conclusions as to whether you can trust a word that comes out of the state there.

Comrades I present to you 2 of the most deluded China Watchers I have ever come across. Just pure projection and incredibly racist assumptions based nothing more than their imagination. Like what the gently caress is wrong with some people?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Please report any and all GBS tankies so I can take great delight in nuking them from orbit. (Within reason. I can't probe JUST for stupidity, but...)

man what a cool mod, thank god jeff gives people like this buttons

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

it was a joke? it sounded to me like just more uncritical sinophobic framing. Poe's law I guess

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

GlassEye-Boy posted:

most Chinese cops don't even have guns.

Are you kidding? They have extensive knowledge of kung-fu trigger points. If you look at a poster of Chairman Xi and don't smile, you get your qi blown right out your rear end with an expertly aimed heel slamming into the back of your head after a triple somersault to build up force. You're seriously deluded if you think that a so-called 'disarmed' police officer in China won't just run up the side of an ugly brutalist apartment block (which looks the same as the 20 other apartment blocks right next to it) before turning around and power slamming his fist into your skull, instantly caving it in and turning you into yet another statistic. You're joking if you think you stand a chance against someone who is trained to deflect thrown bricks and see through umbrellas by simply squinting slightly, and whose lightning quick punches have the weight of 5000 years of tradition behind them. All I can say is, you have no idea what you're talking about. loving dumb police stan.