Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Endorph posted:

we had an entire beach episode with tataru
and also lyse is pretty into you, when she shows up in her new outfit at the end of stormblood there's a lot of obvious tension

And like a quarter of Kriles dialogue aimed at the WoL in Endwalker feels like she could be flirting with you. But yeah like some people said lalafell are a complex tapestry when it comes to this specific topic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
What a wonderful conclusion overall. It's the most Final Fantasy it's ever been by far, but the story has more than earned that buy-in for me at this point. That part at the end was so breathtakingly out of left field and stupid that it wrapped back around to having me in utter glee. And all the rest of it, of course, was sublime - sometimes grim, sometimes schlocky, always sincere and ultimately heartwarming. Last zone had me in its grips so hard with the music and visuals. Even if some things didn't quite work on the nuanced level that I thought Shadowbringers achieved overall, this was wonderful as a triumphant victory lap for the game's story line and developer team, and I think for most of us as players.

Very excited to see where it goes next, now liberated of most of its loose ends. Sky's potentially the limit, for as much as I wanted a rock solid 'we're done' conclusion. We got that, but the setting is still full of mystery to unravel.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, up until now I never had much problem with the queue times since I could just go do something else while keeping an eye, but getting kicked out of Castrum because wifi turned off (or my sister turned it off, still up to debate) and it was long enough to get a 90002 error and now the queue is 1000 so I have to do MSQ roulette again sucks balls.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

saved from castrum imo

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
More generally, I feel that the pacing in Endwalker was horribly off. Some parts felt too rushed (the first half of the fourth zone, the second half of the first zone), others too slow and drawn out (the second half of the fourth zone, the entire fifth and sixth zones).

It's part of why you-know-who pissed me off so much, almost all of their appearances happened right when I was enjoying a terrific emotional moment. And the new folks introduced in the second half of the fourth zone are cute and funny, but not that cute and funny in my book.

I also feel that Thavnair was superfluous to the story. The big plot events there could have been done anywhere, and I think a place that's been around but rarely gotten much time to itself would have been a better place for that time and effort, like Ala Mhigo or, especially, Gridania.

And I'm pretty sure that my reaction to the fifth zone wasn't supposed to be "This place is an atrocity and these people had it coming."

Countblanc posted:

And like a quarter of Kriles dialogue aimed at the WoL in Endwalker feels like she could be flirting with you. But yeah like some people said lalafell are a complex tapestry when it comes to this specific topic

On the upside, I've always liked Krile and Endwalker firmly cemented her as one of my favorites in the game. Such a pity that she wasn't made the new Trust member instead of Estinian.

We'll see where things go in 6.1, in my eyes. Maybe the start of a fresh new story will get things back on track for what I enjoyed about the game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Krile would make no sense as a trust since she's been upfront about not being a fighter for her entire existence as a character.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

krile getting saved from the Sidequest Zone after like three years is like the best part of endwalker

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cythereal posted:

I also feel that Thavnair was superfluous to the story. The big plot events there could have been done anywhere, and I think a place that's been around but rarely gotten much time to itself would have been a better place for that time and effort, like Ala Mhigo or, especially, Gridania.

If it can happen anywhere, why not do it somewhere new and cool?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Cythereal posted:

On the upside, I've always liked Krile and Endwalker firmly cemented her as one of my favorites in the game. Such a pity that she wasn't made the new Trust member instead of Estinian.

I love Krile but this sentence is wild

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Zone 5 being what it was was always destined to make a bunch of people happy while really pissing off a certain portion of the playerbase. That sure is a reaction, tho.

Also I cannot disagree more that why are we spoiling Thavnair? was superfluous. Expansions gotta take you new places, it's a place that's been teased a long time, and it's really pretty. Though if you're sitting through the game going "but when are we going to focus on my previous favorite zone" that setting yourself up for disappointment. Gridania's got unresolved threads, yeah sure, but none of it is big headlining expansion zone poo poo.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Vitamean posted:

saved from castrum imo

I don't actually mind MSQ roulette, it's good EXP! I wanted that half-a-level so I can get RPR to 80 faster and start doing sidequests!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I dunno, I think there's a few thematic reasons why Thavnair works so well. Full expac spoilers. We can start with Vrtra, who's basically a walking mirror to Heavensward in his relationship to his people. He's also a symbol of how even alien visitors can thrive in a foreign star and how Middy's hopes were not for naught.

The ingenuity of the alchemists are a more active form of knowledge that help you take the fight to Garlemald and the towers in a way that Sharlayan's more passive knowledge and the Ancients's more lofty and high-minded works could not. Maybe Sharlayan could have had a tempering shield technique in their back pocket but it would probably have made them too much of an rear end in a top hat keeping it from others so the writers gave that invention to another set of characters.

It also gives us a view of common people who have a pre-existing philosophy based on Buddhism and Hinduism that argues against universal despair in the face of the inevitability of death. Sure, you could have tried to set it in Ala Mhigo instead, but they don't have a strong religious background that would have justified Matsya's sermon at the temple to resonate so well with the people. Also, dragging Ala Mhigo through a mass tragedy again would just kinda suck.

So yeah, that's why I think Thavnair's actually pretty critical to EW working. It may seem separated from all the other bits but it's got a strong place as a thematic mirror to the rest of the expac.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Expansion was good but I didn't feel any romantic tension at all from any of the characters. Maybe I'm just a dude who's bad at subtlety?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Spudd posted:

Expansion was good but I didn't feel any romantic tension at all from any of the characters. Maybe I'm just a dude who's bad at subtlety?

they made the btn/min studium line for people like us

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Spudd posted:

At risk of :can:: it's partly people seeing what they want to see, partly a lot of modern fiction popularizing the idea that any two characters alone in dialogue must mean impending romance because of narrative efficiency. FF14 does not feature a lot of romance given how much dialogue and plot it has, which is an outlier even for games nowadays.

E: To be fair it's also an outlier for a Final Fantasy game, which usually have a romance for the main character or at least major romantic partners for one or more party members when they don't. I guess Urianger kind of counts? Still much less of a narrative focus here overall.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 20, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There isn’t any real romantic tension, honestly. That tends to be in the eyes of Estinien and Spoiler Character fans. And even then, it’s not because the WoL is into them, it’s because the player is into them.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Spudd posted:

Quite possibly! I'm no shipper but even I thought my catgirl looked disappointed when G'raha left after the late night visit.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Spudd posted:

In one mid-expansion scene where you could pick who was visiting you in the night, I picked Y’shtola because I figured if she would drop any major romance vibes, it would be there. Instead she heavily flexes her Mom energy again, but I only had myself to blame for that one

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Also zone 4 being rushed is obviously intentional. Isolating the WoL in an alien environment and putting a looming threat in front of them is supposed to muddle the fact that if you stopped and thought about it you really shouldn't be fighting it.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Pollyanna posted:

There isn’t any real romantic tension, honestly. That tends to be in the eyes of Estinien and Spoiler Character fans. And even then, it’s not because the WoL is into them, it’s because the player is into them.

Yeah. Things are written to purposely throw a bone to the people that like to read that extra bit into character dialogue, but also that you can just ignore it and bask in the warm companionly friendship with your Scion bros if that's not your thing. It paints a broad shape that a player can project their own story onto, within certain limits, which I like to think is a pretty good use of the MMO format's need for a player-made character at the center of the plot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, across the whole game there's definitely characters who are portrayed as romantically interested in the WoL. It's not really 'seeing what you want to see,' it's an obvious detail of the game. Its outright textual with Aymeric, and the whole Azem thing clearly pushes some weird tension with Emet in a way that is also basically textual. And, y'know, Zenos, in his own weird way.

In terms of Endwalker specifically they don't really focus in on it that much, but across the whole game it's a pretty clear running bit that they're kind of expecting the fanbase to ship their character with some of the NPCs.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

There's also the fact that (EW MSQ lv83) Thavnairian alchemy is the only reason anyone but the WoL can safely get into Garlemald and the Lunar towers.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Man I didn't pick up any of that in my entrie experience of this game I thought it was more like the characters liked me because of just how insanely strong I am and how I charge head first into any problem without a care just because it's the right thing to do.

Like remoras and sharks, iunno I'm bad at this but I can axe bosses good.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Spudd posted:

Man I didn't pick up any of that in my entrie experience of this game I thought it was more like the characters liked me because of just how insanely strong I am and how I charge head first into any problem without a care just because it's the right thing to do.

Yes, you have accurately described why the characters in question (at least Aymeric) are romantically attracted to your WoL.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spudd posted:

tbf in some cases its pretty subtle or can be read either way but in aymeric's case thancred outright points it out and also aymeric invites you to his place for dinner and is all 'shall we indulge in some wine together' while his butler wingmans for him

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Being a compulsive helperton with boundless optimism and a can-do attitude is kind of hot, actually.

Doesn't hurt that the WoL gets results too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

As someone who has basically ignored retainer ventures for the entire lifespan of the game, what classes should I make them? I have 4 retainers so I can do a spread of stuff if needed, idk what's best.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cythereal posted:

And I'm pretty sure that my reaction to the fifth zone wasn't supposed to be "This place is an atrocity and these people had it coming."

Yeah you have a very bad read in general.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That would be both narratively unsatisfying and very very stupid given what happened last time he was left to walk around and tried to get you attention.

He's much like the primals, you can't just let them sit around because they do damage by their very nature.

Basically what you want would be a bad story both from a textual and meta textual point of view

Moreover, Zenos is metatextually your chance for genuine roleplaying. Do you like the guy and basically agree with him? Say it. Do you not give a poo poo and want to put him down like a rabid dog? Say it.

This is your chance to essentially state your WoLs thesis statement and answer Venat’s question. And Meteion’s.

In short even as someone who was really omega tired of Zenos pre-EW launch I thought he was utilized pretty effectively.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ibram Gaunt posted:

As someone who has basically ignored retainer ventures for the entire lifespan of the game, what classes should I make them? I have 4 retainers so I can do a spread of stuff if needed, idk what's best.

One of each gathering job and any combat job for the fourth. Each has a unique pool of things they can get from foraging and from the 18 hour ventures. Combat jobs retainers all get the same stuff regardless of which job it is, so just make it your main to make sure it is able to reach max level.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
If you have your fishing, botany, and mining leveled, make one retainer one of each and make the remainder a combat retainer of the primary class that you play. Combat retainers are all essentially the same in what they bring back (enemy drops, basically) so the class/job only matters in as much as they can only go as high in level as your own level on that class/job.

Though you could probably get away with skipping out on a fishing retainer and making another combat retainer. I'm not a big fisher and my fishing retainer is mostly good for sending off for vendable food fish when they're in demand, and running quick ventures. He's not nearly as widely useful, supply-wise, as the others.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ibram Gaunt posted:

If you care about crafting materials then you'd want to do your main combat job (so that they can get your gear hand me downs and stay at your level) and then one of each of the gathering jobs (for those who only have two retainers I believe the priority is FSH since that has more RNG that the retainer mitigates)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

On the other hand, there are several minions that are completely unique to fishing ventures

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah you have a very bad read in general.

This is generally not a new Cythereal thing.

Once people, or cultures, in a story do a Bad Thing and become categorized as Bad People by Cythereal they will spend the rest of the story wishing nothing but painful death on them and basically refuse to engage with the basic humanity of those people and/or the human motivations behind those Bad Things. So any attempts by the story to humanize or empathize with those people or cultures is gonna go over like a lead balloon. Which is ironically a trait they have in common with several villains in this story but what can ya do!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm working on leveling up crafting. I'm using a guide to power level with the firmament. But now I need to craft a 40 HQ set before moving forward. I have all the mats listed to gather, but does anyone have low level macros to ensure that I 100% get the HQ version when I'm crafting the pieces? I don't want to waste my time and then try and fumble my way through this rotation nonsense and not make an HQ one or fail it completely.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
While I don't have any macros on hand, you can use Teamcraft to experiment with macros to find something that works fairly quickly without wasting any mats.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endwalker tells you, directly and in clear words, exactly who the writers think the Warrior of Light is. They do this through the descriptions we get of Azem. How "incorrigible" they are. How often they charge headlong into danger for pretty much any reason they can think of. The joy they take in adventure for adventure's sake. The thrill they feel from danger and risk. And, of course, their ease of making friends, making people care about them, even someone like Emet-Selch, who will roll his eyes and look exasperated but will always come to help if called anyway. Sure, the Warrior of Light is a different person from Azem, but you still remind the people who knew Azem of them, very strongly, and not just because of your shared soul. There's just something about that soul where they're Like This in any incarnation.

If you don't see your character in similar terms, it's easy to see how some of the story beats in Endwalker, particularly around Zenos and his whole arc, might feel really off to you. For me, it worked beautifully, though.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

How do retainers work with alts? Shared inventory, only available to the first character that recruits them, full space available for all of them?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Harrow posted:

Endwalker tells you, directly and in clear words, exactly who the writers think the Warrior of Light is. They do this through the descriptions we get of Azem. How "incorrigible" they are. How often they charge headlong into danger for pretty much any reason they can think of. The joy they take in adventure for adventure's sake. The thrill they feel from danger and risk. And, of course, their ease of making friends, making people care about them, even someone like Emet-Selch, who will roll his eyes and look exasperated but will always come to help if called anyway. Sure, the Warrior of Light is a different person from Azem, but you still remind the people who knew Azem of them, very strongly, and not just because of your shared soul. There's just something about that soul where they're Like This in any incarnation.

If you don't see your character in similar terms, it's easy to see how some of the story beats in Endwalker, particularly around Zenos and his whole arc, might feel really off to you. For me, it worked beautifully, though.

Disagreed in some of the details but not in most of the conclusion.

They deliberately leave extremely open the why of both Azem and the WoLs actions. Yes they clearly seek out new challenges and great danger, but is that a function of loving adventure for adventure's sake or a function of caring about people and their wellbeing demanding some pretty wild poo poo from a super compassionate person in this world? You are given the opportunity to answer that question at the very finale of the game for a reason! There is no singular answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Do you like a good boss fight? Did you think Endsinger was fun? There you go that's what Zenos is talking about when he says you enjoy the conflict at least a bit. A fair chunk of that scene is him talking directly to the player. Did you enjoy the fights? Did you find the story fulfilling?

Plus he works in the story as a reminder that it's not enough to accept that life lacks for any grand universal meaning - what you choose to do with that matters.