Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't know how many times I've heard people tell me that the separation of church and state does not mean freedom from religion - only freedom of religion. It makes no sense at all, but so many tall tales have been invented about the First Amendment that a lot of people don't even know what it says or does.

In the comments of one of his "Bring back school prayer" posts, someone replied to my dad with "What do you think this does to Muslim children?", his response was "I don't care what god you pray to, as long as you pray in school!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I don't see how it would be at all alienating to be the only kid who sits there awkwardly or leaves the room during Class Normal Religion Prayer,

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

LonsomeSon posted:

“I want you to be free to do whatever you want, as long as you only want the things I want you to want” is political in 100% of cases no matter how it’s framed

The law is the same for everyone, you can marry anyone you want (as long as it's the opposite sex)

If it was good enough for white English speaking Jesus it's good enough for anyone that wants to live in Murica

Medullah posted:

In the comments of one of his "Bring back school prayer" posts, someone replied to my dad with "What do you think this does to Muslim children?", his response was "I don't care what god you pray to, as long as you pray in school!".

"I agree, we should make your kids pray to Shaitan during school hours. Celebrate the great liberator!"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Medullah posted:

"When you're privileged, equality seems like oppression". A lot of Christians can't fathom the idea that not everyone thinks and acts the same way as they do, and they get mad when they're not allowed to dominate the cultural landscape (see also: the War on Christmas).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

I don't know how many times I've heard people tell me that the separation of church and state does not mean freedom from religion - only freedom of religion. It makes no sense at all, but so many tall tales have been invented about the First Amendment that a lot of people don't even know what it says or does.

Yeah, because what if your religion is "no religion", none or unsure?

Then again, as they like to tell us, the U.S. was founded on CHristian Principles, like it says in the constitution uhh...somewhere. If I read it long and hard enough, I'm sure the words "God" or "Christ" show up somewhere.

Anyhow, here's my conservative American flag (since that old one sucks now) describing allegiance to cops and celebrating The Punisher.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

My town (Oxford, Michigan) had a school shooting a couple weeks ago. So there's tons of "Oxford Strong!" and "Prayers for Oxford" signs everywhere. BUT because we're Trumpville, gotta get the classics in.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, because what if your religion is "no religion", none or unsure?

Then again, as they like to tell us, the U.S. was founded on CHristian Principles, like it says in the constitution uhh...somewhere. If I read it long and hard enough, I'm sure the words "God" or "Christ" show up somewhere.

Anyhow, here's my conservative American flag (since that old one sucks now) describing allegiance to cops and celebrating The Punisher.

Area man expert on what he thinks the constitution says

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Medullah posted:

My town (Oxford, Michigan) had a school shooting a couple weeks ago. So there's tons of "Oxford Strong!" and "Prayers for Oxford" signs everywhere. BUT because we're Trumpville, gotta get the classics in.

And this is absolutely a case where the thin blue line didn't actually provide any protection. (As opposed to something like providing mental health support and making sure parents are responsible with kids and guns). Pretty ironic.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Jesus wrote the constitution and Moses carried it down from Mt. Rushmore, right?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Jesus wrote the constitution and Moses carried it down from Mt. Rushmore, right?

Jesus chiseled the Ten Commandments and the Constitution into Plymouth Rock Himself and the First Commandment is "Hurt people you don't like"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

If the founding fathers didn't want Christianity to be the one true religion why does our money say "In God We Trust"? Or why does the Pledge of Allegiance say "One nation under god"? And why is the song "Good bless America"?

Checkmate, libtards

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Medullah posted:

If the founding fathers didn't want Christianity to be the one true religion why does our money say "In God We Trust"? Or why does the Pledge of Allegiance say "One nation under god"? And why is the song "Good bless America"?

Checkmate, libtards

Oooooo! ooo! I know the answers to all these! Also, why we sing the Star Spangled Banner at sporting events for some reason but I've been told that even asking these questions makes me unpatriotic.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's on money...it has to be true!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

DarkHorse posted:

The law is the same for everyone, you can marry anyone you want (as long as it's the opposite sex)

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal their bread.

BiggerBoat posted:

They'll quote the part of the Declaration of Independence where it talks about how all men are endowed by their Creator with rights. But only men, not women. Also, not anyone with dark skin. Oh and anyone who disagrees with them politically.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Medullah posted:

Checkmate, libtards

Well the title of our national anthem is literally God Defend New Zealand so I've got bad news for you if you ever try to invade sow the seeds of democracy here.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Medullah posted:

Considering the reactions I've seen to allowing Muslim students to conduct their daily prayers in empty classrooms I'm gonna have hit the old "Doubt" button on that statement.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Man, you reminded me of the fearmongering about Muslim prayer rugs on the Mexico border.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Jesus chiseled the Ten Commandments and the Constitution into Plymouth Rock Himself and the First Commandment is "Hurt people you don't like"

That which you do unto the least among you, fucken rules make those assholes PAY for being poor and visually different -Jeezus

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, unless they vote for RINOs and Dems.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Truly I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a librul not to kill a baby

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Twelve by Pies posted:

Man, you reminded me of the fearmongering about Muslim prayer rugs on the Mexico border.

I've seen this show up as a plot point in multiple places. Act of Valor had cartels smuggling terrorists with undetectable suicide vests.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Reminds me of this classic from my local Facebook group.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Bible tells people not to swear any oaths; “let your yes be yes and your no be no” or something like that. Christians who have never cracked open their KJV editions probably have no idea.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

The Bible tells people not to swear any oaths; “let your yes be yes and your no be no” or something like that. Christians who have never cracked open their KJV editions probably have no idea.

That's most of them, so...

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

This is apparently such a big deal that it's mentioned twice in the NT, and by Jesus specifically.

Jesus himself speaks against it in Matthew 5:

33 “Again, you have heard that it was said to those of ancient times, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but carry out the vows you have made to the Lord.’ 34 But I say to you, Do not swear at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, 35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. 36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. 37 Let your word be ‘Yes, Yes’ or ‘No, No’; anything more than this comes from the evil one.

James 5 says the same:

12 Above all, my beloved, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or by any other oath, but let your “Yes” be yes and your “No” be no, so that you may not fall under condemnation.

This of course is not even getting into the fact that swearing in on a Bible is not required by any US law, and this is likely at least partially due to the fact that some Christian denominations would actually consider it to be against their religious beliefs due to these very verses.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nixon was a Quaker, wasn't he? Did he swear an oath of office? They're not big on that.

Mind you they're also not big on drinking, swearing, or waging wars so I'm guessing he was pretty lapsed.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Hypocritical Christians?

Hmm... I dunno. Gonna need to some evidence first.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nixon was a Quaker, wasn't he? Did he swear an oath of office? They're not big on that.

Mind you they're also not big on drinking, swearing, or waging wars so I'm guessing he was pretty lapsed.

Nixon (and Hoover) took oaths despite being Quaker. I don’t think either were serious adherents.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Yeah, if someone is a politician, go ahead and assume that they ignore any major requirements of their faith.

Multiple Christian religions have led lawsuits against the Pledge due to not pledging anything but to God.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Multiple Christian religions have led lawsuits against the Pledge due to not pledging anything but to God.

Not gonna lie, swearing allegiance to a flag every morning is some creepy cult poo poo and it's boggles the mind that it's so common in the country (yet legally cannot be mandated).

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Clarste posted:

Not gonna lie, swearing allegiance to a flag every morning is some creepy cult poo poo and it's boggles the mind that it's so common in the country (yet legally cannot be mandated).

Reminder that the pledge was written as part of a campaign to sell flags to schools.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's so mundane and common that nobody cares about it. The words are meaningless lorem ipsum. No one actually considers themselves sworn to allegiance.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I can attest that as a kid I didn't even understand what we were saying. Like I had no clue what the word "indivisible" meant until fourth or fifth grade.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I pledjal-eejence t'the flag,
Of th'nitedstatesamerica
N to therapublic frRichard stans
ONEation, UNder god, inVISible,
With liberty n justice frall

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱
Gonna be Mx Predictable and post the sketch just on the off chance someone hasn't seen it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2BfqDUPL1I

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

NightGyr posted:

Reminder that the pledge was written as part of a campaign to sell flags to schools.

The only true religion, money.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

frRichard stans

Darn goons responsible for everything

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Just doing the pledge is too pedestrian, that's why kids don't get into it. I want to see a bunch of second graders do color guard.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Weatherman posted:

Well the title of our national anthem is literally God Defend New Zealand so I've got bad news for you if you ever try to invade sow the seeds of democracy here.

New Zealand has mountains, so the Cold War-era tactic of driving a bunch of tanks across Germany Iraq Wherever won't work out super well and we'll be stuck in a decades-long quagmire fighting Ardenist separatists in the foothills around Masterton?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Medullah posted:

snip
"(your place) strong" is the cheapest, most bullshit thing. as if gun violence were a natural phenomenon that we have no other choice but to put our head down and endure. it's a signal of surrender and the complete opposite of "strength". "our town is so strong! we just sit here and take it! we don't resist, we don't fight back, we sit quietly and create crafts while bullets fly overhead. because that's what strength is."
fuuuuuuck you (your place) strong