Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I said it after finishing trial 1 but I'll say it again that I love how all three trials had me going from "what the gently caress where did that bullshit come from" to effortlessly moving around the battlefield once I figured out the tells and safe spots. I ate like 9 vuln stacks (not all at once obviously) in our first run at the final trial, then it clicked and in attempt 2 I only got hit by one because I was focusing on rezzing someone.

I still don't want to spend the time to do extremes or savages but it does remind me of when I used to enjoy raid progression back when I had less to do.

Waffleman_ posted:

Each character has their own retainers

Awesome, thanks. I've got 4 retainers full of old gear and crafting mats and need to offload the stuff I won't use. I'll have to try mailing stuff to an alt once the queues settle down. The worst part of every mmo, rpg and mobile game for me is the inventory management, I'm so bad at it.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm starting to think Cythereal would have been geniuenly happy with 1.0. Couldn't you play the MSQ as a Crafter/Gatherer back then?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I'm starting to think Cythereal would have been geniuenly happy with 1.0. Couldn't you play the MSQ as a Crafter/Gatherer back then?
theoretically but they gave up on that extremely quick, and also there were like 5 Main Story Quests in the game.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

My bane has always been getting used to mechanics happening fast, so when I encounter a mechanic that happens slow I reflexively rush in before it finishes and I get dunked on.

I joined a group that was blind for both ex1 and ex2, and we cleared ex1 in one lockout (barely) where ex2 took about two and a half. But I think ex2 is simpler to farm once you know the mechanics since it gives you more leeway in where it's safe to stand so people are less likely to drop unexpectedly and create a snowball.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Trials, dungeons, and duties make up a significant part of the majority of the game's story. Like if you play for just crafting that is fine but the MSQ does not let you craft through it as hilarious and rad as that would be.

-Universe is filled with nothing but suffering and despair!

-Says you, check out this incredible chair I just made!

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Risutora posted:

-Universe is filled with nothing but suffering and despair!

-Says you, check out this incredible chair I just made!

Housing Savage and market board undercutters and Heavensward crafting are all pretty solid sources of despair!

But I made this pretty dress all by myself, isn't it nice? :kimchi: I can make you one, too!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Thundarr posted:

I joined a group that was blind for both ex1 and ex2, and we cleared ex1 in one lockout (barely) where ex2 took about two and a half.

I'd guess that's because ex1 you just need one person who can do the mechanics

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

FeatherFloat posted:

Housing Savage and market board undercutters and Heavensward crafting are all pretty solid sources of despair!

But I made this pretty dress all by myself, isn't it nice? :kimchi: I can make you one, too!

okay you say that but now I want a Meteion custom delivery story :3:

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Thundarr posted:

My bane has always been getting used to mechanics happening fast, so when I encounter a mechanic that happens slow I reflexively rush in before it finishes and I get dunked on.

I joined a group that was blind for both ex1 and ex2, and we cleared ex1 in one lockout (barely) where ex2 took about two and a half. But I think ex2 is simpler to farm once you know the mechanics since it gives you more leeway in where it's safe to stand so people are less likely to drop unexpectedly and create a snowball.

The amount of suicide bomber healers I have encountered though, running THROUGH their spot to get to the other one?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

bagrada posted:

I'll have to try mailing stuff to an alt once the queues settle down

About that...

So, once you've discovered that you can't mail stuff to your alts because it is impossible to be your own friend: the best method of item transfer is usually by passing the items through an FC chest. If your FC chest is like most (goon) FC's then you might have to temporarily clear out a tab first to have enough space, so do it when few people are playing and check with someone responsible in the FC first. If that's not an option you have to ask someone to help you mule.

FF14 is very receptive to doing everything in the game on one character. It is not as receptive to actual alts, if you make one anyhow.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Qwertycoatl posted:

I'd guess that's because ex1 you just need one person who can do the mechanics

Pretty much. The safe spot may be roughly the size of a player hitbox, but if one person knows where they're going you can just follow them. Just be sure you follow them quickly or you'll get yeeted.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kurieg posted:

(ending spoilers) I have no real issue with Zenos kool-aid manning himself into the final boss arena. but I'm annoyed that his central thesis statement of "you're just like me" goes unopposed really, even if you pick the "you're a rabid dog who needs to be put down" line.

He's come to the realization that the motivation doesn't matter so long as he gets the fight he wants, but he still wants you to be a fight man like himself and rejects any other option.

That whole monologue (ending spoilers) starts out with the ways you're not like Zenos, though. One of the reasons he bothers to come help you at all is that he recognizes that you don't do things for the reasons he does. He acknowledges that you're a hero. You value life--your own and the lives of others--in a way he never will. You're not the kind of person to burn your life away just for thrill and thrill alone the way he is. But he appeals to the adventurer in you and asks: yes, you do these hero things for reasons Zenos will never understand, but you still do find it fun, right? You still do seek the challenge on some level for its own sake or you'd never have gotten into this in the first place.

And he can be wrong. Admittedly the game never really gives you the option to say "nope, you got me all wrong" and the most you can say is "think what you want," but at the very least, by this point, Zenos has recognized that you and he aren't the same. He calls you his "mirror" but in many ways that makes you his opposite, too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that speech isn't really directed at the WoL, it's directed at you the player. the game's talking to you at the end of the story. and i think 'you enjoyed the video game' is a pretty reasonable thing to mandate you to feel hundreds of hours and a decade in.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Endorph posted:

that speech isn't really directed at the WoL, it's directed at you the player. the game's talking to you at the end of the story. and i think 'you enjoyed the video game' is a pretty reasonable thing to mandate you to feel hundreds of hours and a decade in.

I think it's fair to say it could apply to the WoL as well, but your read of your own character is obviously up to the player. For me, it was spot-on - once an adventurer, always an adventurer, and that's simply what adventurers do. They find and seek out challenges to solve, often through conflict. It's what you've been doing the whole drat game, and I dunno if the WoL is gonna punch their fist that many times and not on some level appreciate the life they lead for its own sake.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I still hold that if you didn't get the smirking response you answered incorrectly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and yeah, that too. on some level the WoL kind of does have to enjoy it for the plot as written to make any sense. there's a lot of side content that happens purely because the WoL enjoys adventuring and solving conflicts. crystal tower is mandatory and its an adventure that happens entirely because the WoL heard about an adventure brewing. they smile in cutscenes whenever a long journey or a cool dungeon or whatever shows up. most of the job quests, especially the expansion ones, happen largely because the WoL is curious about something and wants to explore it. if you've ever leveled Samurai it's canonical that your WoL will grab a sword and follow an old man around just because the sword looks kind of cool.

you can say your WoL doesn't care about that stuff until you're blue in the face but even with as little of a canonical character the WoL has, they kind of do, textually.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I just fundamentally disagree that "adventuring for adventuring's sake is fun" and whatever the gently caress crock of bullshit Zenos believes are the same thing. :shrug:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Is there any hood similar to the Cryptlurker Maiming one? Cause drat it looks good for a RPR glamour but I don't like the mask hiding the face.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I mean I didn't enjoy the video game of Endwalker by that point. :v: I've had such a weird reaction to where I'm okay with a lot of it and acknowledge the spectacle of the finale and hell even Zenos's bit was good as the most hardcore of Zenos haters, but the lead up to it left me empty. It's definitely the most conflicted and confused I've ever felt after an expansion and that I've had to spend the time since beating it working out my feelings on the drat thing.

Also on npcs being romantic towards the WoL I feel on average they had a great balance of mostly leaving it headcanonable of how close certain characters are. With one exception. drat it G'raha do I need to get the loving spray bottle? He comes on insanely strong this expansion to a degree it felt overbearing, though I am notably not into him.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Kyrosiris posted:

I just fundamentally disagree that "adventuring for adventuring's sake is fun" and whatever the gently caress crock of bullshit Zenos believes are the same thing. :shrug:

They're not, of course, not on a fundamental level. The reasons you do these things are very different, as are the results of you doing them, but at the core it's still seeking out the thrill of life and getting immersed in conflicts. Zenos has extraordinally different reasons for this, which mostly involve stalking you so he can indulge. Like Harrow said, a mirror, yet opposite.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Well yeah, but even Zenos acknowledges that. The first part of his monologue is him acknowledging that he understands your motivations now and understands how you're different.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Zenos isn't saying they're literally the same thing, but that you and he are similarly motivated people. If someone is reward motivated, they can see a variety of rewards as suitable. Money, candy, time with people they care about, whatever. Those people would still both be reward motivated - they would see difficult tasks as work and only do them for the sake of what they get from them. Regardless of what those tasks are, what tasks they're willing to do for what rewards, they'd share that similarity.

The WoL and Zenos both don't need external motivation, they just do the things they do for the sake of the things themselves. It's not an 'ah, but you and are I the same, I am very intelligent,' it's a similar mental quality you both share. The game isn't saying 'therefore Zenos did nothing wrong, because you and he... are the same!!!' it's pointing out that small similarity between the two characters and explaining it as why Zenos felt a connection to the WoL.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Harrow posted:

And he can be wrong. Admittedly the game never really gives you the option to say "nope, you got me all wrong" and the most you can say is "think what you want," but at the very least, by this point, Zenos has recognized that you and he aren't the same. He calls you his "mirror" but in many ways that makes you his opposite, too.

I picked that (still ending spoilers) "think what you want" option as an acceptance that I'm not going to be able to convince him but he is wrong. He's also still going to get his fight, because I can't let him keep going about and making trouble.

And even though I (and my WoL) enjoy the fights, quite a lot, we are honestly just as happy when things work out and we don't have to fight whatever is in our way. Defining one as the more preferred option over the other just doesn't fit how I see my WoL.

Onean fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 20, 2021

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

man I gotta finish this game this week so I can finally read this thread

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
(Ending spoilers) I cannot stand Zenos, and from this perspective it was very very satisfying to tell him I was done with his poo poo and leave him broken and alone at the end of the universe. Sure, he got what he wanted, but I really don't care and just wanted him to leave me alone and I think the game properly reflected my attitude towards him.

Honestly found how they accommodated player outlook throughout the whole xpac pretty impressive even with events happening the same for everyone.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 20, 2021

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
EW Spoilers about a sb nerd and also the ending
I enjoyed every appearance of Zenos in EW and I really wasn't expecting that. He only shows up like, 4 times and every one of those times was delightful. From the shear chutzpah it takes to steal the wol's body, to us both kinda just watching Fandaniel steal Zodiark with vague disinterest, to his killing a blasphemy because he hoped it might be fun (and then taking Alisaie's words into consideration), to his showing up to be the stage we fight on which had me cackling with glee. I felt like it was just the right amount of Zenos and I loved that solo duty at the end, it was fun as hell. Just raw punching each other to the bitter end like old snake and old ocelot.

By the end of it I was kinda hoping he would come back with us because it seemed like he was finally starting to get it. It was a marked improvement over SB Zenos which I was overly harsh on at launch but even after NG+ replay still wasn't the best. He's not a good enough villain to carry a whole expansion, but he had great moments in this one and I felt he worked out well.

Edit: All of which is to say, if this had happened back in sb I woulda told him to gently caress off. But after EW I gave him the smirk and fight that he wanted. Seemed like the least I could do.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 20, 2021

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Mr. Nice! posted:

I still hold that if you didn't get the smirking response you answered incorrectly.

the unsundered version of the WoL jumped into an active volcano to save some grapes and I felt that kinda checked out. The sundered version of the WoL for me hours ago did poo poo like throwing sleep bombs to subdue feral books just for the sake of helping a random passerby. And me, the player is up at 3am on a Monday before work playing a video game that I have spent several thousand hours in since 2013. For me personally, I was 1:1 there with my WoL; the first option was the only choice for me.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

MechaX posted:

the unsundered version of the WoL jumped into an active volcano to save some grapes and I felt that kinda checked out. The sundered version of the WoL for me hours ago did poo poo like throwing sleep bombs to subdue feral books just for the sake of helping a random passerby. And me, the player is up at 3am on a Monday before work playing a video game that I have spent several thousand hours in since 2013. For me personally, I was 1:1 there with my WoL; the first option was the only choice for me.

Why are we still taking "they did it for grapes" at face value when the literal story itself makes fun of Elidibus for believing such an obviously tongue in cheek answer.

He is an Actual Factual Child idolizing Azem too much to take it for the evasion that it is and Emet all but says as much!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Why are we still taking "they did it for grapes" at face value when the literal story itself makes fun of Elidibus for believing such an obviously tongue in cheek answer.

He is an Actual Factual Child idolizing Azem too much to take it for the evasion that it is and Emet all but says as much!

Well, I mean, he is literally a child.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Because multiple other characters confirm it was for exactly that reason? Like it is stated onscreen. You even have a dialog option to confirm it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

Yeah like 3 different people ask you the player this specifically to hammer this bit home. It's a little self congratulatory but you get it frok m 3 different directions and world views. Venat asks you about if you enjoyed the world the travel the people. Zenos asks if you found validation I'm the trials the challenge the constant struggle to achieve and grow from adversery. It's very good

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

I mean, our sundered version dove into an active volcano just because a talking animal dared us into doing it, so it isn’t even the worst reason Azem has ever had for doing this

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
What does the smirk come from? Cause if it's feeding into Zenos' bullshit that feels like The Wrong Choice.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ImpAtom posted:

Because multiple other characters confirm it was for exactly that reason? Like it is stated onscreen. You even have a dialog option to confirm it.

"If I recall correctly," he began at length, with the air of one about to reveal a grave truth, "the grapes grown on that isle are particularly delicious. Or so Azem said. They must be truly remarkable."

"Indeed." I couldn't bring myself to shatter his faith. I did, however, vow to treat my "friends" to a lecture on priorities.

Blissfully ignorant of my misgivings, the young man smiled to himself again, and bade me farewell. As he wandered away, I swore I heard him murmur something about Azem's "ever refreshing perspective."

The text is blatantly making fun of Elidibus for believing this is the actual reason. You get an opportunity to make a "haha funny callback" dialogue option on your Sundered Self. At no point are we meant to believe that "grapes" is the actual reason, it is a catty way of keeping their motivations ambiguous with a tongue in cheek answer to avoid defining a character that is closely related to the protagonist.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Pretty hosed up to have that zenos scene after they cancelled an ultimate tbh

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zenos: I just can't wrap my head around the people who don't think the other dialogue choices are a sufficient rejection of Zenos's assessment of you. The WoL is a silent protagonist, they aren't going to be able to do some big speech about why what Zenos says is wrong. But you the player can feel and think that and then choose dialogue options, the same minimal way you ALWAYS interact with the story, to tell him to go gently caress himself and then kill him. I felt like even to the very end Zenos fundamentally did not understand me, but that didn't upset me because why should it? He's a horrible broken man who has never had a real friendship or meaningful relationship. I don't care if he thinks we're the same, so I just killed him and he died alone and disappointed. That was extremely satisfying for me!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Charles Get-Out posted:

What does the smirk come from? Cause if it's feeding into Zenos' bullshit that feels like The Wrong Choice.

factually incorrect post

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Charles Get-Out posted:

It's from the "That I can't deny" answer. But even then it's not "feeding into Zenos's bullshit." It's just acknowledging that for your character (if you choose that option)... yeah, y'know what, this is fun. All this adventuring and doing the craziest poo poo anyone's ever done? It kind of rules. Zenos contends that yes, you are a hero and your motivations and his aren't the same, but he believes that on some level you wouldn't be doing this if you didn't love the challenge and the thrill of it.

I don't see that as necessarily agreeing that you and he are the same--even Zenos isn't contending that, not anymore.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Weird question, but I got a $25 gift certificate for eBay for Hanukkah, and I dunno what to use it on. Is there any especially cool Japanese (or otherwise) FFXIV merch I might find on there for between 25 and say 75 bucks?

What I really want is the giant Fat Cat cushion, but it's like $400 on eBay -- and the smaller one is like $100 and would only make me wish I had the big'n :( Wish they'd get it back in stock! I've just about convinced myself that I can spend MSRP on it and call it a furniture purchase.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"If I recall correctly," he began at length, with the air of one about to reveal a grave truth, "the grapes grown on that isle are particularly delicious. Or so Azem said. They must be truly remarkable."

"Indeed." I couldn't bring myself to shatter his faith. I did, however, vow to treat my "friends" to a lecture on priorities.

Blissfully ignorant of my misgivings, the young man smiled to himself again, and bade me farewell. As he wandered away, I swore I heard him murmur something about Azem's "ever refreshing perspective."

The text is blatantly making fun of Elidibus for believing this is the actual reason. You get an opportunity to make a "haha funny callback" dialogue option on your Sundered Self. At no point are we meant to believe that "grapes" is the actual reason, it is a catty way of keeping their motivations ambiguous with a tongue in cheek answer to avoid defining a character that is closely related to the protagonist.

There are characters in a specific zone who bring it up. like in Ellis there are multiple references to the grapes as a sign of how incourragable Azem is. Regardless of the short story people treat it as a valid interpretation of Azem behavior

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 20, 2021