Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

Booker T's best matches were all with Benoit, although he also had another great one with Bret in that brief time in late 99 when Bret was really feeling it in WCW.

Booker had some good matches with Rick Martel in a series that were sadly cut short due to Martel's retirement injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

What is Sabu’s best match?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Manwithastick posted:

I think the RVD matches from 96 would get the most votes, but his matches against Cactus Jack to me are better. I was really surprised how good their matches in NWC were.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Manwithastick posted:

He had some bangers with Lightning Kid (Sean Waltman) in the early 90s, I remember the Monster's Ball in TNA he was in was great.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Manwithastick posted:

Rob Van Dam, Sabu & TARU vs. Darkness Dragon, Susumu Mochizuki & Yasushi Kanda

It has Susumu in it so it must be the best

There's a '96 AJPW show with a 30 minute RVD Sabu match and I'd be morbidly curious to see that because I can't imagine those guys going half an hour in the middle of card featuring Bobby Duncum Jr., Gary Albright & Steve Williams vs. Holy Demon Army (Akira Taue & Toshiaki Kawada) & Takao Omori and Johnny Ace, Kenta Kobashi & Patriot vs. Super Generation Army (Jun Akiyama, Mitsuharu Misawa & Satoru Asako)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Manwithastick posted:

His highest rated meltzer match was ECW Cyberslam 96 with 2 Cold Scorpio and Sabu at 4.5 stars to a 30 minute draw and holy hell that sounds like a banger. I watched 2 Cold and Joey Janela on saturday and that was a banger even though 2 Cold is pushing 60 with not many bumps left on his card.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'd like to chime in with his ONS match vs Rey Mysterio. Surprisingly smooth for Sabu, and while the finish was poo poo as a result, it was a spectacular spot

I don't necessarily think it's his best match, but it's really good and worth your time.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Sabu and RVD vs Jinsei Shinzaki and Hayabusa from Heatwave '98 is one of my all-time favourites but I don't know how well it would hold up to someone watching it for the first time now.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The discussion about Danielson and Flair and top 10s has me wondering, what are your Top 10 guys? Also, gently caress Flair.

Mine, in no particular order are:

Owen
Kobashi
Tanahashi
Okada
Danielson
Misawa
Angle
Bret
HBK
Liger

There are massive gaps in my viewing though - I haven't seen anywhere near enough joshi, or lucha, to have any sort of informed opinion.

I'm also willing to admit to a bit of a recency bias.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The first Sabu match I saw was Anarchy Rulez 99 against Justin Credible of all people. I was blown away and there are likely two dozen better Sabu matches, that one holds a special place in my heart.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd like to chime in with his ONS match vs Rey Mysterio. Surprisingly smooth for Sabu, and while the finish was poo poo as a result, it was a spectacular spot

I don't necessarily think it's his best match, but it's really good and worth your time.

As I recall, it was only the Benoit v. Guerrero match that was a bit of a dud on that card.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

edogawa rando posted:

As I recall, it was only the Benoit v. Guerrero match that was a bit of a dud on that card.

That was on the previous years card, Sabu/Rhino was 05 and Sabu/Rey was 06

edogawa rando posted:

The discussion about Danielson and Flair and top 10s has me wondering, what are your Top 10 guys? Also, gently caress Flair.

Not solid on the order outside of top 5, and likewise I don't know lucha at all.

1. Kawada
2. Kobashi
3. Tanahashi
4. Misawa
5. Okada
6. Marufuji
7. Toyota
8. Akiyama
9. Kojima
10. Aja Kong

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

SG Bamboo posted:

That was on the previous years card, Sabu/Rhino was 05 and Sabu/Rey was 06

Oh gently caress, you're right. That was during Rey's "He's Greatest Underdog Champion of All Time, King" run with the Big Gold belt wasn't it, where he couldn't buy a win if he tried? I think the only clean and decisive win he got on TV was against Booker T during the build to their match at the Great American Bash.

It's astounding how much they hosed up his title reigns.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
At this point Sabu might be one of the more underrated wrestlers of all time because he gets so frequently made fun of for botching.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
I don't think any wrestler has integrated botching into his actual character as successfully as Sabu did.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Sabu worked it into his character much better than say RVD even though it led him to taking risk in matches probably cause he thought "Hey if it works cool, if not it's a botch will work with":

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Sabu worked it into his character much better than say RVD even though it led him to taking risk in matches probably cause he thought "Hey if it works cool, if not it's a botch will work with":

During the XPW episode of DSOR, I told my GF about the time Sabu covered a torn open bicep with duct tape after it had been ripped apart by barbed wire, the look of horror on her face is burned in my brain

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Also in no particular order, and very WWE-centric as that was the majority of what I watched between WCW dying and AEW starting:

Mick Foley
CM Punk
Bryan Danielson
The Rock
Bret Hart
Kurt Angle
Steve Austin
Shawn Michaels
Undertaker
Eddie Guerrero

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is a very stupid question:

How many matches did the Gobbledy Gooker have? How many did they win?

Also I know the OG Gooker was a Gurrerro. But has anyone else put on the costume? I.E. Do we know who was the Gobbledy Gooker in that Wrestlemania gimmick battle royale they had years ago.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is a very stupid question:

How many matches did the Gobbledy Gooker have? How many did they win?

Also I know the OG Gooker was a Gurrerro. But has anyone else put on the costume? I.E. Do we know who was the Gobbledy Gooker in that Wrestlemania gimmick battle royale they had years ago.

Pretty sure it was the same dude for the gimmick BR, I remember some factoid that X-7 had 3 Guerrero's on the show since Chavo was in the stands repping WCW

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

SG Bamboo posted:

Pretty sure it was the same dude for the gimmick BR, I remember some factoid that X-7 had 3 Guerrero's on the show since Chavo was in the stands repping WCW

It was. And that was actually the only match the Gooker ever had.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I accidentally saw a few gifs of Japanese wresting here and elsewhere on the internet and now I wonder how to get into it (being part of the audience). Is there a YouTube channel with English subtitles or something of recent matches? Anything more obscure is probably too much for me, but asking never hurts! Thank you.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I don’t know about subtitles but there are matches out there with English commentary, if you’re amenable to that.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I accidentally saw a few gifs of Japanese wresting here and elsewhere on the internet and now I wonder how to get into it (being part of the audience). Is there a YouTube channel with English subtitles or something of recent matches? Anything more obscure is probably too much for me, but asking never hurts! Thank you.

What did you like specifically, because Japanese wrestling is a land of contrasts from ridiculously silly entertainment comedy to hard faced serious business beating the living hell out of each other, and everything in between.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Do you know what it was that you saw? Or if you post an example of the gifs you've seen that could help narrow it down a little with what or who impressed you.

There's not necessarily a lot of recent wrestling from Japan on Youtube unfortunately (there is a lot of older stuff on there, which is absolutely fantastic). A lot of companies now have streaming sites dedicated to their company, but there's no overall Netflix for Japanese pro wrestling that has all/most of them sadly. As for English...it's hit & miss. Some of the bigger companies have English commentary for their bigger shows, like New Japan, Pro Wrestling NOAH & Dragongate. But a lot of the others don't & hell, I've watched a lot of shows that don't even have Japanese commentary. I get why this concerns you because I fond the idea of a language gap really off-putting for years & years, it was only really when just sat down & watched it that I realised that wrestling is really kind of an international language. The tricky part can be working out which of the 2 guys is which but fortunately there are helpful & kind people here willing to help. What I will say, the Chinese Youtube equivalent BiliBili is amazing for recent wrestling. So assuming you are able to access that (& I don't think that should be a problem) there's a treasure trove of stuff I can link you to from pretty much all the big Japanese wrestling companies. Also good is the Russian social network VK.

There's a lot of different styles & stuff in the scene, from smaller fast guys doing incredible high flying action to large, beefy bruisers slapping the absolute poo poo out of each other & everything in between.

Lemme post one match from this year that actually is on Youtube, one of my favourites & has the bonus of being relatively short: Hikaru Sato vs Fuminori Abe from All Japan.

This match is a 2nd round match from a 1 day tournament with 4 rounds in total, each guy has won their opening match. Hikaru Sato wears the blue & black trousers, Fuminori Abe has the black shorts. Sato has a background in MMA, he actually still fights in Pancrase in Japan as well as doing wrestling, Abe I don't think fought professionally but his style is quite similar to Sato, called shootstyle (because it is trying to make wrestling more like a real fight, it's a style that was really big before MMA became a huge deal). And hey, if it doesn't do anything for you it's 10 minutes so you didn't waste your life!

Any other questions, more than happy to help if I can, just ask!

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 22, 2021

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Following up on that, is there anywhere to watch Big Japan Strong now?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
GLEAT has recently started doing English subtitles and is one of the few Japanese promotions airing all its content on Youtube (unless you really want to stream day-of PPVs), so that might be a good one to get your foot in the door. They're still pretty new though so they have a limited roster and no title belts yet.

They also have two distinctly different styles: G.PROWRESTLING is your standard wrestling, and Lidet UWF is shoot-style wrestling with its own set of rules, and is closer to MMA. Sometimes they have shows that mix the two, but they're usually separate.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TV Zombie posted:

I don’t know about subtitles but there are matches out there with English commentary, if you’re amenable to that.

Yeah. Wrestle Universe has been doing some (more?) English commentary on their cards, or at least so I was told.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

top ten favorite wrestlers to watch or top ten best in ring wrestlers in our opinion?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Misawa and Kobashi are numbers 1 and 2. It doesn't matter which order.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

STONE COLD 64 posted:

top ten favorite wrestlers to watch or top ten best in ring wrestlers in our opinion?

I'm gonna make a very brave, very bold statement that no one will agree with.
Note my list doesn't contain euro, lucha, or japan because my knowledge of those three areas start and end at Naito who is great.

Eddie Kingston, Danhausen, Orange Cassidy, and Sami Zayne.

Abbadon, Th2, Wingmen, Chaos Project, Super Smash Bros, Ryo Mizunami.

Honorable Mention: Naito who is the only Japan only act I know of.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 22, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Following up on that, is there anywhere to watch Big Japan Strong now?

Yes! There are actually a few options. Firstly you have BJW Core which is their monthly subscription services, 888 Yen/month, does not show things live but you can see most things on there eventually.

Smaller shows are often broadcast live on Line Live. I'll be honest, I've never used this service, I'm not sure how much shows cost or the quality of the streams, There's a show on it on this Sunday coming from Osaka to get an idea of the card, but I'm fairly confident these do end up on Core eventually?

Then there's their Nico Nico channel. You need to pay 550 Yen a month to watch on here & sometimes that might just net you a discount to buy an iPPV but sometimes you get the whole show live without needing the additional purchase, like the next card they are show there, which honestly looks very good. I THINK. But again, these usually end up on Core, I think within a month, possibly less.

I'll be honest, this is confusing for following one company. TBH what I do is go to the Russian social media network VK.com & just search BJW 2021 & watch what gets uploaded whenever. Most recent show there is from 16th November & features the Strong Title match between Takuya Nomura & Yuya Aoki. But Core seems like it'd be OK value if I wasn't trying to follow a dozen companies & then these service costs start adding up & boy it'd be nice if there was one streaming service which was 2000-2500 Yen a month & had a rake of different groups on it but that seems unlikely to happen.

If after all this it turned out you meant New Japan Strong, the US show, that'd be funny.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

If after all this it turned out you meant New Japan Strong, the US show, that'd be funny.

That was my assumption, always assumed the Strong and Deathmatch groups were divisions rather than shows

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

That was my assumption, always assumed the Strong and Deathmatch groups were divisions rather than shows

They are but on the off-chance imma shill for the company running Astronauts vs Okami next week

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Ishii ten times
Put Toru Yano in there too as a treat.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Dragongate usually streams the first match of its major shows with English commentary, and they have great first matches in general, with title matches even. This for example is a title match furthering some great angles.

DDT is very generous in putting out free matches. Most of the promotions under the CyberFight umbrella are. You might know them from the blow-up doll and lighttube matches.

Also of note is NJPW puts up a free match every week, ranging from classics to modern, all of them pretty good (no random throwaway multimans).

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What was US Women's wrestling (outside of WWF and WCW) like in the 90s?

Are there any standout matches available to watch online? I'm interested in seeing some pre WWF Ivory and the like.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Are there any standout matches available to watch online? I'm interested in seeing some pre WWF Ivory and the like.

It wasn't that big or that popular. GLOW was a big-ish deal in the 1980s and that's where Ivory got her start, but Ivory specifically only wrestled one match between GLOW folding and WWE picking her up in 1999. You got some people who wrestled fairly consistently through the period like Debbie Combs and Malia Hosaka but it wasn't generally a very big deal.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Overall pretty poor but as a tangent, like a lot of things and despite the inherent misogyny, a lot of who would lead to the revival at the end of the decade were first picked up in ECW. Jazz and Lita being the two biggest who got their first major looks there though Lita was a valet, but Jazz was treated as an actual threat if memory serves me right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

On the flip side Japan had some pretty cool stuff going on. Megumi Kudo, Manami Toyota, and Bull Nakano had some bangers in the 90s.

Edit: In America who would have had the best in ring performance and was widely known in the 90's? Would it have been Alundra? Maybe Jazz?

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 24, 2021