Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

If I remember correctly there was some sort of dispute between Tank's actor and the Wachowksis and thats why he didn't return? That was a real weird shift, they just replaced him with basically no comment with a guy nobody knew of and we were expected care about him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Mike N Eich posted:

The problem is there is a very weak resolution to all these questions, and much of the action, while aesthetically pleasing (the human mechs firing up at the ceiling as the sentinels flow into the breach is, also IMO, cool as hell) it lacks weight and heft. Why are Neo and Agent Smith even bothering to have a 10 minute fight scene when we know Neo is only there to give himself up? Whats up with the Merovingian and all the rogue AIs? Oh nothing, actually, they're there for 2 seconds to point to another plot device and disappear for the rest of the film. There are gestures in Reloaded to things that could be elaborated on for endless plot threads, and that makes it a fascinating film, but its packaged with Revolutions which just feels bloated, to me.

I think for this one the reason is that they have to fool Smith into absorbing Neo's code into himself. If Neo just shows up and lays down without a fight then he might think something is amiss.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

If I remember correctly there was some sort of dispute between Tank's actor and the Wachowksis and thats why he didn't return? That was a real weird shift, they just replaced him with basically no comment with a guy nobody knew of and we were expected care about him

At least at the time I remember reading that he or his agent tried to negotiate too hard to get him a salary in the range of the leads. In retrospect kinda sounds like a PR hit piece.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

feedmyleg posted:

At least at the time I remember reading that he or his agent tried to negotiate too hard to get him a salary in the range of the leads. In retrospect kinda sounds like a PR hit piece.

He probably thought he was in a pretty good position, too. "I'm the 4th member of the crew, dammit! It's Neo, Trinity, Morpheus, and then me! No way they're just gonna replace me!"

Oops.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

I think the truth is probably somewhere in the middle, he negotiated for more and probably overplayed his hand but I seriously doubt he was asking for Keanu money.

I imagine when you're a studio with a massive franchise on your hands you want to negotiate the deals with the main leads and then if anyone else is gonna play hardball they can gently caress off because otherwise we get bled dry paying minor characters millions of dollars. You never heard about like, the girl who played Ron's sister in Harry Potter negotiating for a big raise or anything like that.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 20, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Tank was so likeable but didn't go on to do much after and in fact hasn't acted in poo poo in 8 years
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0159059/?ref_=tt_cl_i_7

However, in a shocking twist, Cindy from Commando is his sister!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

Tank was so likeable but didn't go on to do much after and in fact hasn't acted in poo poo in 8 years
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0159059/?ref_=tt_cl_i_7

Yea he hosed up because he should've seen the Matrix sequels as his chance at name recognition which then in turn leads to more paychecks for years down the line. He needed to just do whatever was necessary to stay in that series, he should've considered it an investment for future income.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I hated the names of everyone in zion. Everyone in the matrix got computer puns or anagrams. Everyone in zion had weird short names and nouns that made it seem like they had symbolic names but like, I think dozer is just big like a bulldozer.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
When does the review embargo end?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Lmfao

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

thrawn527 posted:

Well, that is the correct answer. But mostly I've found people tend to like Fellowship the most because it was the first one and made them say, "Wow, what is this?", or Return of the King the most because it has all the battles and the ending(s). Two Towers, while great and has some awesome scenes, doesn't have much of a beginning or end, outside of Helm's Deep.
It does have, however

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lco9Ki-5qfQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKl3gPGdtpc

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I hated the names of everyone in zion. Everyone in the matrix got computer puns or anagrams. Everyone in zion had weird short names and nouns that made it seem like they had symbolic names but like, I think dozer is just big like a bulldozer.

Just the younger characters, really. The councillors and some of the older captains have more normal sounding names, which makes sense if they were pulled out of the Matrix before (from their point of view) screen names were a thing, and then the descriptive nickname fad came from all the hackers that were being pulled out of the Matrix.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Robot Style posted:

Just the younger characters, really. The councillors and some of the older captains have more normal sounding names, which makes sense if they were pulled out of the Matrix before (from their point of view) screen names were a thing, and then the descriptive nickname fad came from all the hackers that were being pulled out of the Matrix.

Are you saying...there was a 50s Matrix?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Robot Style posted:

In world I guess it makes sense. It just felt bad story telling wise.

Like you could have some thing where dozer was metaphorically called that because he was asleep, to go with morphius. And tank was important because he was a tank grown human or something. Everyone had named that sounded like they could match up with something but it felt like most people didn't or they just jumbled all the names up so none fit.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Basebf555 posted:

I think for this one the reason is that they have to fool Smith into absorbing Neo's code into himself. If Neo just shows up and lays down without a fight then he might think something is amiss.

Yeah Smith just wants to beat Neo to death. Neo had to beat Smith to the point where Smith would try to copy him as his only way out or, as it actually happened, spook him with Oracle poo poo.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

porfiria posted:

I'm wondering that too, don't remember if it was mentioned. But does time/technology progress within the Matrix, outside the reboots that happen with The One cycle? Or are people just stuck in a particular age indefinitely until that point?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Archer666 posted:

I'm wondering that too, don't remember if it was mentioned. But does time/technology progress within the Matrix, outside the reboots that happen with The One cycle? Or are people just stuck in a particular age indefinitely until that point?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP0lzLWsDr8

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Archer666 posted:

I thought the whole point was that it was perpetually the late 90's in the Matrix. Isn't that what Agent Smith said? Something about how it was the pinnacle of human civilization, because after that, humans let the machines take over?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

1998 - 1999 were a really great year for video games. So i'm okay with being forever stuck in a time loop where those games just forever release over and over again.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

porfiria posted:

There was a 70s one. They even made a movie about it.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

In the first movie, Zion's apparently been around for about 100 years (with Morpheus thinking it's 2199, and the Second Renaissance starting around 2090), so it could be that each Matrix cycle lasts about a century, rebooting back to 1900 and running from there.

The idea of Y2K paranoia being an unconscious realization that the Matrix is close to resetting would certainly fit with other things being expressions of the Matrix, like Deja Vu.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"No one can be told what the Matrix is, because we haven't really invented things like that yet"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

One of the most popular reviews mentioning they fell asleep during The Matrix like bruh what!

This movie seems sick though.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Basebf555 posted:

I think there's also the aspect that Neo just knew he needed to go there and negotiate with the machines face Smith. He assumed he could just beat Smith in a fight again through will power. And really thats the most he's understood about being the Matrix messiah. That he could fly and fight well. As the anomoly/avatar of free choice, he had to choose sacrifice. And this did not occur to him until he heard Smith speak the oracles words.

All of revolutions and Neo's real world power kind of point towards the Wachowski future of Sense 8 and Cloud Atlas where everyone is the same deep down (human, or matrix program, or machine), and they can all feel love and hate equally. Its definitely a different feel than the original matrix smash the machines ending.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The Matrix is such a good and self-contained movie, I would have been okay if it didn't get any sequels

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Roth posted:

This movie seems sick though.

It is. Slow, but absolutely worth checking out if it seems like your thing. Was up on YouTube in HD last year at least.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

feedmyleg posted:

It is. Slow, but absolutely worth checking out if it seems like your thing. Was up on YouTube in HD last year at least.

Criterion Channel got it it looks like. Seems like a good follow up to Matrix 4 in a few days.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is the iTunes Dolby Vision version of the original movie the de-greened version or no?

Because I’m watching it now and this poo poo is still pretty green

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Seriouspost - everyone talks about Baudrillard but really the philosopher "key" to understanding the Matrix movies is Ken Wilber.

Wilber did the commentaries, has interviewed and is friends with Lana Wachowski, and in general the idea of trying to reconcile competing philosophies is more aligned with what those movies did, especially the sequels

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Since this is out in Japan already, first feedback seems to be coming in about Matrix 4, and it seems to be rather bland? Anyone else here seen it already?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

As long as it isn't jupiter ascending then I'll be fine

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Since this is out in Japan already, first feedback seems to be coming in about Matrix 4, and it seems to be rather bland? Anyone else here seen it already?

Story and structure is very far from bland

Visually maybe in places but a lot of new tech stuff looks very cool.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Review embargo is finally up. Nothing is going to stop me from watching this movie, I am excited for it, but its at 66% on rotten tomatoes. Will judge for myself.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Reading reviews, it sounds like exactly my poo poo. I can't wait to see the nerd rage that the film dare to actually be about something and not just be an empty rehash.

Based on Dune, what time exactly does this go up on HBO?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Seriouspost - everyone talks about Baudrillard but really the philosopher "key" to understanding the Matrix movies is Ken Wilber.

Wilber did the commentaries, has interviewed and is friends with Lana Wachowski, and in general the idea of trying to reconcile competing philosophies is more aligned with what those movies did, especially the sequels

Oh Ken was the other one with Cornell West on the commentaries? Yeah he is great on these and really gets into explaining the competing views and themes in the sequels. I hope he comes back for the eventual matrix 4 commentary.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Review embargo is finally up. Nothing is going to stop me from watching this movie, I am excited for it, but its at 66% on rotten tomatoes. Will judge for myself.

Some of those critics are those that say they didn't like the first three movies, so, why are they watching this one?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Rotten TomatoesFilm critics are a lot the same as weathermen and politicians in that their so-called profession is a meaningless waste of time no one should give any clout to because they're almost always wrong.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Some of those critics are those that say they didn't like the first three movies, so, why are they watching this one?

It's a big release so putting your name out there on a review will increase your visibility regardless lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There's nothing wrong with critics, just the way we talk about and utilize them. Having a critic you tend to agree with in your back pocket can be incredibly useful in figuring out what films might be for you and which ones probably aren't. But, yeah, please burn Rotten Tomatoes and "Film Twitter" to the ground.