Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Orange DeviI posted:

Because, OP, the killer is a bad guy and you have to catch him. The game isn’t a morose slog in which you’re repeatedly told how much rape is happening, because the designers accurately guessed that normal people just need a few pointers that create a backdrop for the game. If you actually think the games are comparable in the themes they evoke you might be an alien

I don't think the games are comparable, I know nothing about KDM really other than what's been in this thread. It's still a game about the murder of a real person which does seem at the very least to be extremely poor taste. The game isn't a slog but it does 100% revolve around disposing of the body parts of a woman you've murdered.

Is the game being great enough to over look those aspects of it? This is a genuine question really. The game glorifies Jack the Ripper to an extent, even though this wasn't Jack the Ripper which the game acknowledges but then calls the murderer Jack anyway. Whilst Jack is the bad guy, one of you at least wants him to escape.

Full disclosure, I have Whitehall Mystery and I think it's a great game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Aramoro posted:

This is a genuine question really.

Lol no it isn't, you already know the answer.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I've never ended a game as Jack going "HO HO HO WHAT A SUCCESSFUL EVENIN' OF KNOIFIN ME SOME HARLOTS" sure am thinking about serial killing women a bunch

It usually ends with screaming some form of "gently caress gently caress gently caress WHY ARE YOU SO loving CLOSE?! gently caress OFF gently caress OFF gently caress OFF!! gently caress OFF YOU FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCK!!" over and over again in my head as the Detectives edge ever closer

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Looked up a review of KDM, found this picture

10/10

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Eraflure posted:

10/10

This specifically informed me about the quality of Kingdom Tits.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

With the intro of Nemesis I've started rearranging The Kallax

Current thought process

Not pictured a bunch of card games in a travel box, which I will be likely doing to a lot of the other small card games shortly.

If anyone has any neat ideas about the Hodge Podge + Misc shelves, I'm all ears.

Eraflure posted:

10/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO_p4-RSRQ0

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Since we're on the topic of problematic games again, does anyone have any opinions on the other Eklund - Matt? I've been kinda interested in Stationfall, the game itself looks fine, but if he's as much of a dipshit a his dad then I'd rather not support that again.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Ion is shackled to Phil "footnotes" Eklund pretty firmly, as it was discovered when Stationfall's developer tried to take a stand against him, and was booted out of Ion. He's now touring the US in his RV.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

SelenicMartian posted:

Ion is shackled to Phil "footnotes" Eklund pretty firmly, as it was discovered when Stationfall's developer tried to take a stand against him, and was booted out of Ion. He's now touring the US in his RV.

Who is, Stationfall guy? I don't feel that's a necessary consequence of losing your publisher.
e: Ecklund jr seems at least quieter than his papa.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

The Narrator posted:

I would've thought edamame for Bohnanza

pretty sure any flgs that sells edamame from the counter is gonna ask me to leave before I get poor people germs on everything.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Fat Samurai posted:

We completed March on Pandemic Season 0 yesterday, and I have a doubt because things look too under control: Spoilers for February and March, I guess.

We stopped all the trials, so we have no Infection cards on the deck. I've checked twice and I'm pretty sure you don't get any surprise infection if you get all cities, but skipping a whole mechanic seems weird. Am I missing something?

I think you are correct, we did the same thing.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Lol no it isn't, you already know the answer.

Not sure I do? I like Whitehall Mystery, it's a fun game it's mechanically great. My wife really dislikes the game because of the theme and the fact it's about the murder of a real person. Maybe it's just the case the game's not for everyone. I guess the real question is should we continue to make games like this. Would it be fine to make a game about a more recent serial killer like Jeffrey Dahmer.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 20, 2021

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Aramoro posted:

Not sure I do? I like Whitehall Mystery, it's a fun game it's mechanically great. My wife really dislikes the game because of the theme and the fact it's about the murder of a real person. Maybe it's just the case the game's not for everyone. I guess the real question is should we continue to make games like this. Would it be fine to make a game about a more recent serial killer like Jeffrey Dahmer.

There is a pretty big gap between being thematically about something off-putting and glorifying it to the point of fetishization.

Some people will have different comfort levels, which is fine, but this question comes off as extremely insincere in the context that you're asking it. If you can't see why after the recent pages of discussion about KDM then I don't know what to tell you.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

It's because Whitehall, as far as I know, doesn't have art and miniatures sexualizing the assault and murder of the woman and making sure her tits look super great at the same time you loving disingenuous pedant. We can talk all day about if it's okay to make a game about a real person's murder but don't pull that poo poo.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Fat Samurai posted:

We completed March on Pandemic Season 0 yesterday, and I have a doubt because things look too under control: Spoilers for February and March, I guess.

We stopped all the trials, so we have no Infection cards on the deck. I've checked twice and I'm pretty sure you don't get any surprise infection if you get all cities, but skipping a whole mechanic seems weird. Am I missing something?

I think you're good. infections are actually not a huge threat in this game, more of a background menace but that's its. Season zero is far more about the story of the agents and history leading up to season 1 than the actual virus being the main threat of the game. If you have any experience at all in these types of games, infections shouldn't be a big deal. I think we had a couple cities infected but much later in the game, and it never felt like a a real issue

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks.

Game is easy. :cool:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

interrodactyl posted:

There is a pretty big gap between being thematically about something off-putting and glorifying it to the point of fetishization.

Some people will have different comfort levels, which is fine, but this question comes off as extremely insincere in the context that you're asking it. If you can't see why after the recent pages of discussion about KDM then I don't know what to tell you.

Edit: I'll leave it for another time then when we're discussing themes for board games.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Chill la Chill posted:

But 1889 is good and I’m hyped for it getting to $150k and hitting the top of the BGG hotness. :krad:

I cannot believe how well the KS is doing. I know I'm pretty new to the genre myself but hopefully this is a sign of great things. Love GTG's treatment and hope cautiously that this leads to other titles that companies like AAG, GMT, and Mayfair/Lookout print getting more attention as well.

Also very hyped to see where the stretch-goals end up. Just kills me that I have to essentially forget the campaign exists for however long it takes to arrive :(

Also also reminds me that I haven't been able to play any 18xx in a month and I feel like a junky going into withdrawal.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I think Whitehall falls in a similar space as true crime media. A lot of people are fascinated by it, some people are uncomfortable with it. Some of it is absolutely disrespectful and exploitative, but I don’t think Whitehall falls in that territory if for no reasons beyond the art not being gross and it being about events that were so long ago. It’s fair to not want to play a game about a real life serial killer, but I wouldn’t make value judgements against anyone playing it (or not).

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

quote:

Whitehall chat

To take this conversation to the extreme: are all historical war games problematic because they're about killing real people? I could see people being turned off the game because of that, but I don't see a problem with an abstract representation of war. The same goes for Whitehall: This could have been a game about any sort of chase, but it _happens_ to be about Jack the Ripper, something we all have a cultural consciousness about. There's no dismemberment in the game, there's no killing or anything like that.

Fake Edit:

Eraflure posted:

10/10

I've changed my mind, all games should have a "Lion testes" resource

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Slimy Hog posted:

Fake Edit:

I've changed my mind, all games should have a "Lion testes" resource

retheme every cube-pusher euro to be about lion testicles

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective box 2 has half the cases about Jack the Ripper and it’s supposed to be historically accurate.

What that means is that you have half the cases in the box with some cartoonish mystery to solve, and the other half with absolutely gruesome “anatomical” descriptions of murders.

It’s a weird shift in theme.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

gimme some lionballs lol

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

the holy poopacy posted:

Want a Vlaada game about the dungeon imps trying to sell weird monster offal

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Tiny Epic Lion Balls

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Jack the Ripper stuff is one I feel fine with when its more about a sorta, broader cultural idea of him. But when it starts representing the real dude even more so than representation of a lot of other famous serial killers I do think it often has the potential to be more gross since people just kinda look at it like "well that was all just in the past."

Slimy Hog posted:

To take this conversation to the extreme: are all historical war games problematic because they're about killing real people? I could see people being turned off the game because of that, but I don't see a problem with an abstract representation of war. The same goes for Whitehall: This could have been a game about any sort of chase, but it _happens_ to be about Jack the Ripper, something we all have a cultural consciousness about. There's no dismemberment in the game, there's no killing or anything like that.

Yeah this is true. I personally get more bother with what I find to be the fetishization of serial killers than I do with war in media. I think it has to do with the fact it does feel more on the personal level. And the former tends to be more deeply rooted in misogyny.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I don't think it would be crazy for game groups who care about their members' feelings to adopt something like the X Card from RPGs -- when something comes up somebody's not comfortable with, they tap the card, and it's excised without the the group expecting an explanation. People should be able to say they're not comfortable playing a game without having to justify it, and especially without having to explain why THIS treatment of Theme X is troubling for them personally while some other treatment or some other trigger-y theme doesn't. You can't logical-proof your way out of the discomfort, but you can logical-proof your way out of having people to play cool games with.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FirstAidKite posted:

Tiny Epic Lion Balls

Finally a good tiny epic game

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

FACKER posted:

I didn't see this posted yet, seems like bug news: Asmodee purchased Miniature Market at some point during 2021
Asmodee is also in talks of being purchased themselves by Embracer Group, a Swedish video game company.

MM is our LGS, this is a bummer.

Had Asmodee made inroads to distribution before? Hopefully they won't gently caress them up too bad.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Boxman posted:

Had Asmodee made inroads to distribution before? Hopefully they won't gently caress them up too bad.

Does this mean if your game has a missing piece, you can't return it to anybody?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Boxman posted:

Supposedly this happened in the past, and I haven’t noticed anything yet myself and I buy both online and in person.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Bottom Liner posted:

The first image I shared is from the base game rulebook and is immediately recognizable as depicting rape to anyone that sees it. The “pinups and graphic stuff is optional” claim is flat out lying. And yeah, they def try to hide all of that while still showing off anime titty minis for a reason and it’s all just gross, way more gross than I even realized at the start of this derail.

So I flipped through my rulebook, and nothing in there depicts rape that I could find.

The first image is the accompanying image for the "severe injury, brain trauma" table:

This is the accompany text right below the White Speaker's (some storyteller/mystic who channels visions) images:

I guess I've seen the trope of "the powerful Magic Person instructs everyone to bind them while they do A Magic Vision Thing so they don't rampage out of control" in media enough that I don't think it's particularly exotic.

This the below The Hand (a Bad Guy):

This is the text for the "intimacy" event as well:

I understand if people think it's too violent/gross/naked/etc and don't want to play it, but I couldn't find the theme as described.

However, I do agree that KDM and like.. old Vampire the Masquerade have some of the worst players who are a bit too into it. I don't think I'd join up with a random KDM group without it being everyone I knew in my game circle already.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Jack the Ripper stuff is one I feel fine with when its more about a sorta, broader cultural idea of him. But when it starts representing the real dude even more so than representation of a lot of other famous serial killers I do think it often has the potential to be more gross since people just kinda look at it like "well that was all just in the past."

It seemed weird to me in Sherlock, not because it's the "real depiction", but because it doesn't fit with the theme of any of the other cases in any of the other boxes (or the rest of the cases in the same box). If it was a "true crime" style game I would understand, some people might want to go through the "actual" case, but when the other cases are like.. an actor from a mysterious traveling theater troupe getting shot backstage. It's a rather jarring shift in tone.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 20, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

So I flipped through my rulebook, and nothing in there depicts rape that I could find.

The first image is the accompanying image for the "severe injury, brain trauma" table:

I guess I've seen the trope of "the powerful Magic Person instructs everyone to bind them while they do A Magic Vision Thing so they don't rampage out of control" in media enough that I don't think it's particularly exotic.

Just so we're clear, you're trying to say this image is not sexual and does not convey sexual assault and is not "particularly exotic" (i think you mean erotic but in either case lol)

https://i.imgur.com/2yqCGvQ.png

yeah sure, that's all about brain trauma *wink wink nudge nudge*

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
It's just a bunch of people pinning down a nearly naked woman, blindfolding and tying her up, for a wholesome ritual. I see it all the time in my animes.

I don't even know what's going on between the legs.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Bottom Liner posted:

Just so we're clear, you're trying to say this image is not sexual and does not convey sexual assault and is not "particularly exotic" (i think you mean erotic but in either case lol)

https://i.imgur.com/2yqCGvQ.png

yeah sure, that's all about brain trauma *wink wink nudge nudge*

Oh it’s totally sexual, just not a depiction of assault. The start of the game has four people throwing rocks with their junk out, nobody is arguing that it’s some puritanical family game. The description right underneath the picture describes it if you were confused.

The game has an entire race/species(?) of giant naked humanoids cannibals, but I don’t jump to “an exposed boob/penis = obviously some sex shenanigans going on.”

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Llyranor posted:

It's just a bunch of people pinning down a nearly naked woman, blindfolding and tying her up, for a wholesome ritual. I see it all the time in my animes.

I don't even know what's going on between the legs.

you know there is a way to like, comment on something being gross without kinda acting gross and weird yourself
like way to double up on what was already uncomfortable? good job?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

The description right underneath the picture describes it if you were confused.

oh well in that case :thunk:

quote:

I don’t jump to “an exposed boob/penis = obviously some sex shenanigans going on.”

this is such a wild misrepresentation of everything we've said that you're obviously trolling. Enjoy your rapey game that's extremely embarrassing.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Can we talk about something other than KDM now?

Maybe the Asmodee thing? Or what games you got yourself for the holidays?

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

you know there is a way to like, comment on something being gross without kinda acting gross and weird yourself
like way to double up on what was already uncomfortable? good job?
You're right :(
I was just (unnecessarily) trying to highlight the absurdity of someone writing a long wall of text showing their extensive research on how the game definitely doesn't depict sexual violence when it's right there in everyone's face.

That they wrote "Oh it’s totally sexual, just not a depiction of assault" should be all that needs to be known about the KDM defender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Unfathomable was pretty good and I might try to get a few games of it during the holidays. It improves a lot on the formula created by BSG. The only thing I'm doubting is the replayability, but I think I can get some good games out of it and at least they fixed the bad guy reveal mechanisms this time around. Much better than in the original BSG game.