Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

fun hater posted:

they should not make movies specifically for those people

Let me tell you about the time someone made a film about Stonewall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
In all fairness to the Candyman franchise Tony Todd is what make those movie worth watching. Every second he is on screen radiates a quite fury.

NikkolasKing posted:

These two things together, combined with recent news about X-Men TAS getting a continuation, of course makes me think of Jubilee.

Wait what?

side_burned fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 19, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

side_burned posted:

Every second he is on screen radiates a quite furry.
he's very supportive

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does a mall babe eat chili fries?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/xmen-97-animated-series-disney-plus

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Saberspark finally released the reanimated version of Joshua and the Promised Land that he been coordinating for the past year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGjzo5UtZ18

Having never seen the movie (or even Saberspark's review) before, I'm not sure which "lesson" it teaches is worse: "it's okay to genocide people and steal their land if they do 'evil' things like child sacrifice or adultery (which are somehow equally bad)" or "if you belive in god hard enough and follow all his rules your parents will stop fighting and love you" :catstare: Also, the film implies the main character (who is a child from the modern day) lived for many years as a bronze-age warrior and retained that life experience at the end of the film which I'm sure wouldn't cause any lasting psychological issues.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 20, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

og Candyman rules

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-lbCzS_9fc

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mr.Radar posted:

Saberspark finally released the reanimated version of Joshua and the Promised Land that he been coordinating for the past year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGjzo5UtZ18

Having never seen the movie (or even Saberspark's review) before, I'm not sure which "lesson" it teaches is worse: "it's okay to genocide people and steal their land if they do 'evil' things like child sacrifice or adultery (which are somehow equally bad)" or "if you belive in god hard enough and follow all his rules your parents will stop fighting and love you" :catstare: Also, the film implies the main character (who is a child from the modern day) lived for many years as a bronze-age warrior and retained that life experience at the end of the film which I'm sure wouldn't cause any lasting psychological issues.
yeah it's a ridiculously poorly-made film originally and this is a much reduced version of it that they used for the reanimated version, and rightfully so.

there were a lot of amazing clips in this, my favorite part is the constant glitching out when 3D models are on screen(accurate) and how Chris is universally depicted by almost every animator involved as a proper biblical angel whose true, eldritch form is barely at best contained at all times, constantly breaking out of his family-friendly form.

watch his breakdown of the original and you'll understand how bad the original was.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3syUejwzd3Q&hd=1

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1472809044079366155

Later on Jenny realizes it could well be a stalker. Yikes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I'm watching Civvie's new Rise of the Triad remake video and I think I had a stroke trying to keep up with the convoluted history of Interceptor and their relationship with boomer shooters and not dying off.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

So I'm watching Civvie's new Rise of the Triad remake video and I think I had a stroke trying to keep up with the convoluted history of Interceptor and their relationship with boomer shooters and not dying off.

So did he

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

and idk. i havent seen licorice pizza either but speaking generally the problem with framing it as 'well the people who deal with this daily...' is that, a lot of people who deal with it daily, won't, care. im autistic and theres some mental illness/autism jokes ive laughed at and some ive found offensive, and i find a lot of well-meaning, intended to be taken seriously depictions where the creators talk about how much attention they paid to autistic people and how they consulted with them, more offensive than throwaway jokes. or like, i find that game by the life is strange devs with a trans protag, tell me why, 100x more offensive than throwaway tranny jokes in old episodes of family guy. stuff's complicated. no two people are gonna have the same reactions.

Generally speaking, I get you; That sort of thing usually feels patronizing. As it turns out, it's basically impossible to make any kind of point or interesting story if you're primarily worried about making sure it won't offend people, since there's no way to take into account the experiences and personality and biases of everyone within any group bigger than like, five people. There are people who think VNs by Clockup are feminist and ones who think they're the most misogynistic text committed to a screen and those are both valid viewpoints. The writer considered them feminist since she considered them to involve strong female characters who remained undaunted despite everything. I think there's a place for that, personally!

That being said I can't help but remember that one routine Chris Rock routine and why he stopped doing it and feel like there's some degree you need to consider the lowest common denominator too? I dunno. :shrug:

I guess it's more of a question of personal preference for the creator though, as opposed to something the audience should criticize.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 20, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pentyne posted:

I don't really know how well the trans issies were/weren't handled but a big problem is they make such a big deal over having a trans character and after the first 30 minutes the game really does nothing that couldn't have been done as with a cis character aside from 1-2 blatantly telegraphed "oh youre a trans now" lines from NPCs.

Game felt rushed and unfinished, and that its entire commercial identity was "you play as a trans character"
What pissed me off abotu Tell Me Why was their giant list of disclaimers about what they would NEVER DO with a trans character that felt very much like 'if you do these things, its transphobic.' it included stuff like 'using a character's dead name, ever' and 'having transphobia exist.' having a bunch of cis dudes say that you cant acknowledge basic realities of trans existence or its problematic sucked rear end lol

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

fun hater posted:

the new candyman was extremely made exclusively for white people as evidenced by the ridiculous scenes where they halt everything to explain to the audience what gentrification is. im just saying this bc im still mad at how bad it was

yeah!

I'm going to disagree with this only because I think it gives the creatives too much of a pass. The original movie says pretty much all the same things about gentrification without the heavy-handedness. This one is just a bad movie, in a long line of movies/TV at the moment that jettisons any subtext in favour of explaining it directly to you, the audience. It's wild that it seems so reluctant to be a horror movie (one kill in particular seems like it was conceived of in reshoots just to have a scare in there) and makes me wonder why anyone involved wanted to make it in the first place.

As an aside, this happens all the time but it was pretty funny here, I've never seen a movie drop from the conversation so fast. It felt like there were months of hyping up Nia DaCosta that died the moment people saw the movie.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Do doujins have to be like a specific amount of content or does it include basically anything? I know people make like, their own Touhou games and stuff and I think but I'm not sure that people make their own endings to some manga too sometimes. I'm mostly just asking if single piece of fan art counts as doujin too.

Acerbatus posted:

Doujin refers to a person or group, doujinshi refers to the work they create

Afaik since doujin basically means indie, you could call a picture doujinshi but it would be a little odd.

Might need to be corrected on if it'd be weird though since my Japanese is kinda shaky.
Doujin is the same kind of idea behind self-publishing groups that form as literary societies - something that dates back hundreds of years both here and in Japan. Nowadays it's usually translated as "circle", which can be either a single person or a group of people.
There's another component to it though, which is that the Japanese laws on derivative works is quite a bit different from how copyright works in the US (both in how copyright was originally envisioned, but especially how it's implemented nowadays).

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The bigger part is that most companies are aware it won't hurt their sales if people make comics of their two favorite characters kissing in small runs, though.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

The bigger part is that most companies are aware it won't hurt their sales if people make comics of their two favorite characters kissing in small runs, though.
Also, by now both the publishers and creators know that a significant part of the creators and publishers got started in circle groups themselves.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The 7th Guest posted:

og Candyman rules

"Be my victim" is such a great line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOt3D01rCTY&t=5s

rox
Sep 7, 2016

some of these may have already been posted, but heres some videos from the past week or so that i enjoyed:

Yhara zayd talks about some fun raunchy sex comedies starring women in The Raunchy Comedy Reframed (1/2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2gDku4Vmd0

Jacob Geller counts down his top 10 (and a half!) games of the year in The Top Ten (and a Half) Best Games of 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km6Jvd5dl4M

Pat Finnerty begrudgingly takes on Monster Truck featuring some other guy in Little Stinkers Ep 2. - Kid Rock ft. Monster Truck "Don't Tell Me How To Live"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvG3DQGdoDk

BONUS: Tortured Agony - "Dead Man Trail" (Official Music Video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XnyS0C8g9c

Khadija Mbowe shares their take on straight cis men and drag race in Can (cis) boys just wanna have fun too? 👀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtpMkvNQij8

ive got some more ill share in a new post in a bit, dont wanna just post a huge wall of links/embeds

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjzYr1ewy7w

Part 2 of Sage's look at Netflix Bebop. I was not expecting this direction when he said he was going to talk about why it failed. Definitely called it on the push for a franchise name holding more sway than a new IP but I forgot how the contract between Disney and Netflix ending kind of turbofucked the streaming industry.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 20, 2021

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
If you would like to hear the beginning of a lot of arguments about the best mini game in JRPG history, HaKox, do I have a podcast for you!

It has now derailed two entire sessions as the people who are right and the people who are wrong get into it, to the point we had to split one episode in two parts. We might have to cut it from future recordings and just come back in endgame.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

secretly best girl posted:

If you would like to hear the beginning of a lot of arguments about the best mini game in JRPG history, HaKox, do I have a podcast for you!

That's not how you spell Triple Triad.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Feel free to get mad at me in the comments because you are wrong! :blastu:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

What pissed me off abotu Tell Me Why was their giant list of disclaimers about what they would NEVER DO with a trans character that felt very much like 'if you do these things, its transphobic.' it included stuff like 'using a character's dead name, ever' and 'having transphobia exist.' having a bunch of cis dudes say that you cant acknowledge basic realities of trans existence or its problematic sucked rear end lol

Yeah, everyone in the small Alaska rural town is open arms acceptance of Tyler and the one guy who makes a mistake in referring to him is like immediately contrite and apologetic. It really felt too Disney-esque to be real.

It's gonna be a problem handling that regardless because the twitter discourse will go apeshit over anything real or imagined, and had they had scenes of harassment or rear end in a top hat townies talking poo poo to Tyler it's going to result in a poo poo ton of negative attention no matter what the context/purpose. I think Dontnod had trans consultants on the writing but I'm sure there was still some editorial oversight (Microsoft lol) that wanted it to be as safe as possible.

Also hypocritical as gently caress they went with a "no transphobic language EVER" when Life is Strange 2 had some racist as gently caress people harassing the main character multiple times throughout the game, up to slurs, physical violence, and attempted murder.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 20, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

It has now derailed two entire sessions as the people who are right and the people who are wrong get into it, to the point we had to split one episode in two parts. We might have to cut it from future recordings and just come back in endgame.
weird, I assumed clicking this link would take me to a discussion about The Ancient Cave from Lufia 2, one of the best roguelikes out there that is squirreled away as a sidequest inside a JRPG, but it's just some people talking about some random nonsense that ISN'T the best minigame of all time, which is The Ancient Cave from Lufia 2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and in general i just dont like how much of a like, death grip the deadname thing has on a lot of people for whatever reason. if its used clumsily to show someone is transphobic that can be stupid but its not a big deal. and like... idk. i know for some people it feels like a complete denial of their identity but to me i dont really care about dead name stuff irl, in relation to myself, unless someone's obviously doing it to be a dick. if it comes up in paper work or old photos or whatever i dont even notice it, to me it just feels like 'well that was my name back then.'

and as a random example deadly premonition 2's trans character had a lot of issues but people hyperfocused on the fact the main characte deadnames her even though it's a japanese game and in japan the concept of a dead name barely exists. like if you change your name as part of transitioning and someone doesnt use your new name they're a dick but there isnt the culture of 'that was your name all along' or w/e, a lot of jp trans people ive spoken to outright use phrases like 'back when i was...' or 'when i was a guy' or whatever.

trying to make any kind of concrete rules about how to depict this stuff is stupid. heck even a guy dropping a trans character's dead name because he's a huge bigot can work and be handled well. not everyone is gonna wanna play that but it's not like that makes it bad. remember the red strings club drama.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Something I never hear about the Xenoblade games is the villains. Considering how pivotal the villain cast is to both Xenogears and Xenosaga, I couldn't help but zero in on the comment about Takahashi's having cryptic villains in all his game. He surely does love them in Gears and Saga but maybe I just don't know enough about the XBC games because I've never heard either of them has anything like Grahf/Miang/Ramsus/etc. or Margulis/AlbedoYuriewv/etc.. The bad guys are a huge part of why Gears and Saga are so good, though.

Keith Szarabajka has one of the best villain voices of all time and is a big part of why Yuriev is my fave Xenosaga villain.

Also who was the person who said they didn't like Episode III's music? I've always seen a few scattered haters of the game but one thing I've never heard criticism of was its score which is a triumph and if anybody cares one bit about music, they owe it to themselves to find XSIII's soundtrack and listen to it.

The full soundtrack, of course because more than half the songs in the game aren't on the official OST....
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvXMARe51eeYX051YteXh_i_0p0jLCMWR

Also the best JRPG minigame is fishing in FFXV.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Endorph posted:

and in general i just dont like how much of a like, death grip the deadname thing has on a lot of people for whatever reason. if its used clumsily to show someone is transphobic that can be stupid but its not a big deal. and like... idk. i know for some people it feels like a complete denial of their identity but to me i dont really care about dead name stuff irl, in relation to myself, unless someone's obviously doing it to be a dick. if it comes up in paper work or old photos or whatever i dont even notice it, to me it just feels like 'well that was my name back then.'

and as a random example deadly premonition 2's trans character had a lot of issues but people hyperfocused on the fact the main characte deadnames her even though it's a japanese game and in japan the concept of a dead name barely exists. like if you change your name as part of transitioning and someone doesnt use your new name they're a dick but there isnt the culture of 'that was your name all along' or w/e, a lot of jp trans people ive spoken to outright use phrases like 'back when i was...' or 'when i was a guy' or whatever.

trying to make any kind of concrete rules about how to depict this stuff is stupid. heck even a guy dropping a trans character's dead name because he's a huge bigot can work and be handled well. not everyone is gonna wanna play that but it's not like that makes it bad. remember the red strings club drama.

It reminds me of some shenanigans a while back with Waypoint. Iirc there was some indie game Danielle Riandeau whipped of a shitstorm over because there's a puzzle where a password is someone's deadname. Then it was revealed that one of the writer's was trans and basing it off personal experience and Danielle's reaction was to not really apologize and say "Well I still think they need to be careful about potential harm they could be causing." I remember being really miffed by it at the time.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

oh god oh gently caress posted:

It reminds me of some shenanigans a while back with Waypoint. Iirc there was some indie game Danielle Riandeau whipped of a shitstorm over because there's a puzzle where a password is someone's deadname. Then it was revealed that one of the writer's was trans and basing it off personal experience and Danielle's reaction was to not really apologize and say "Well I still think they need to be careful about potential harm they could be causing." I remember being really miffed by it at the time.

Yeah i wonder what that game was called. Probably not anything Endorph referenced in that post.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea the deadname poo poo tends to deserve critique more for being lazy writing than some deep traumatic thing. Like, having it be your flag for someone being a bigot or a kinda clunky way to say 'get it, this character's trans' is often lame writing but most people who transition do indeed have at least a few moments of 'oh yea you know me by my old name actually' or whatever. It's not some Killing Word For Trans People, it's just a kinda annoying thing to correct or a rude way to treat someone depending on the situation.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

that was, in fact, the red strings club drama that endorph mentioned lol

rox
Sep 7, 2016

little hoot just premiered a video on The Christmas Movie That's Accidentally Anti-Vaccine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVvX6RWWDmg

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

NikkolasKing posted:

Something I never hear about the Xenoblade games is the villains. Considering how pivotal the villain cast is to both Xenogears and Xenosaga, I couldn't help but zero in on the comment about Takahashi's having cryptic villains in all his game. He surely does love them in Gears and Saga but maybe I just don't know enough about the XBC games because I've never heard either of them has anything like Grahf/Miang/Ramsus/etc. or Margulis/AlbedoYuriewv/etc.. The bad guys are a huge part of why Gears and Saga are so good, though.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has so much story to its villains that the expansion game is entirely about their origin.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Xenoblade Chronicles 1 didnt really have cryptic villains, moreso the standard set:
the hammy bastard with no reason for his evil besides jealousy,
the bitter and 'reeeeeally extreme measures to save my people' guy,
the plot twist villain with the godcomplex. (Granted that last one has... quite the backstory.)

I dont think any Xeno villain has ever grabbed me as much as the Miang/Krelian/Ramsus entourage tho.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

yea the deadname poo poo tends to deserve critique more for being lazy writing than some deep traumatic thing. Like, having it be your flag for someone being a bigot or a kinda clunky way to say 'get it, this character's trans' is often lame writing but most people who transition do indeed have at least a few moments of 'oh yea you know me by my old name actually' or whatever. It's not some Killing Word For Trans People, it's just a kinda annoying thing to correct or a rude way to treat someone depending on the situation.

and heck some people do experience it as a killing word for them and thats fine but thats just, one person. feel like a lot of people have been psyopped into thinking its something you should literally never put in no matter the context.

that drama was like 90% of red strings club's wikipedia page until i went and edited it out. imagine doing that to trans devs and thinking youre the woke one.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

NikkolasKing posted:

For all my love of the franchise through XS, I too have never engaged enough with Xenoblade to know this. I know 2 has gacha stuff and KOS-MOS is in it, I know X is locked on the WiiU and so I'll never play it, and that's about it.

NikkolasKing posted:

Also who was the person who said they didn't like Episode III's music?

I'm pretty sure that was Matt, our editor who bought the OST and then had to go find the GST.

Captain Invictus posted:

weird, I assumed clicking this link would take me to a discussion about The Ancient Cave from Lufia 2, one of the best roguelikes out there that is squirreled away as a sidequest inside a JRPG, but it's just some people talking about some random nonsense that ISN'T the best minigame of all time, which is The Ancient Cave from Lufia 2.

:ssh: We are in prep for an upcoming season jointly covering Lufias 1 and 2, and while I don't know that I'd call Ancient Cave a minigame, I am so on your side in this that I'm gonna be loving obnoxious.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well, it's a side game nested inside a larger jrpg, so it's sort of a minigame.

But I absolutely spent ten times as much time playing that and getting all the iris treasures as I did playing the actual rest of lufia 2. It's a goddamn shame that the only rendition of it released after the fact was a mobile game. You could release it on steam standalone and it'd do quite well I imagine

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Xenocard in Xenosaga Episode 1 was a full ccg and it owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shyrka posted:

That's not how you spell Triple Triad.

You're both wrong and stupid.

It's clearly BLADE 2 from Trails of Cold Steel 2, because it's playable with a regular deck of cards, doesn't involve collecting of any kind, and is an actually-good time-passing game for two people.

Please note that I will be taking no questions at this time :goonsay:.