Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Is that seriously the original plan for God of War? We were ROBBED.
The Extras on the original have all the possible sequel hooks (Kratos's evil dead brother reigning in hell and returning to own Kratos, Spec Ops team find the Titan in the desert and chaos ensues, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Reminds me of the original plan for God of War: Kratos would team up with a Viking and Egyptian dude to kill off their respective pantheons, and then they see a star in the distance and go meet baby Jesus.

loving amazing

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Reminds me of the original plan for God of War: Kratos would team up with a Viking and Egyptian dude to kill off their respective pantheons, and then they see a star in the distance and go meet baby Jesus.

So in this version of them being the 3 Magi, would they be there to kill him in the crib or to nurture him to help kill others? I could see this going either way

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Aces High posted:

So in this version of them being the 3 Magi, would they be there to kill him in the crib or to nurture him to help kill others? I could see this going either way

Instead of gold, frankincense, and myrrh, they give him protein powder and some kettlebells.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Data Graham posted:

Cave Santa brought gifts of leaves and bark to all the good mammoths and hominids

Does he turn the naughty ones into coal?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Aces High posted:

They mentor Jesus so he can become a vampire hunter, the game ends with everybody getting laid (tonight!).

https://youtu.be/Jqo0ccrNJEc

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 20, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

My wife and I got back into our Disney rewatch and rewatched Pocahontas which is somehow much worse than I remember. A few random thoughts on it:

-- It's like if Gaston made a movie about himself
-- The backgrounds are very pretty, but the more realistic characters are atrocious. There is something so off about Pocahontas's running cycle
-- Jim Cummings is very distracting
-- It's really sad how Disney did straight up forget how to make musicals for a bit after Ashman. Even with Lion King, the songs feel less embedded with the film, but in Pocahontas it feels like there are at least two aborted songs and it's really weird.
--Savages is the only good song, but it's just a poor ripoff of "Kill the Beast"

Also, Christian Bale has been in two movies about Pocahontas.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

They mentor Jesus so he can become a vampire hunter, the game ends with everybody getting laid (tonight!).

https://youtu.be/Jqo0ccrNJEc

Always hacks me off when someone who purports to write lyrics for a living doesn't know how to conjugate "smite"

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

My wife and I got back into our Disney rewatch and rewatched Pocahontas which is somehow much worse than I remember. A few random thoughts on it:

-- It's like if Gaston made a movie about himself
-- The backgrounds are very pretty, but the more realistic characters are atrocious. There is something so off about Pocahontas's running cycle
-- Jim Cummings is very distracting
-- It's really sad how Disney did straight up forget how to make musicals for a bit after Ashman. Even with Lion King, the songs feel less embedded with the film, but in Pocahontas it feels like there are at least two aborted songs and it's really weird.
--Savages is the only good song, but it's just a poor ripoff of "Kill the Beast"

I did a rewatch with my girlfriend about a month back and it was honestly kind of fascinating how not good it was. Also, things like Mel Gibson's overly prominent presence, Pocahontas bring magically granted the power of language from nature, the entire story being based on an exaggerated tale from John Smith that happened when the actual Pocahontas was estimated to be 11 years old, etc., went all to starker relief knowing that Disney 100% expected this to be their major prestige film of the year, and the other animated film that they were working on simultaneously was a bit more of an afterthought. That other film being The Lion King.

Also, today I learned that Pocahontas's original animal sidekick was going to be a turkey voiced by John Candy named Redfeather.....which is......

I will be honest, considering the movie as it is, I genuinely don't know whether this would have made things worse or better.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I will say they got their musical mojo back with Hunchback. It's got some rough spots but holy hell "Out There" is some of the best stuff they've ever done.

Then they lost it again with Hercules and beyond

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Data Graham posted:

I will say they got their musical mojo back with Hunchback. It's got some rough spots but holy hell "Out There" is some of the best stuff they've ever done.

You’re casting aspersions on the music in Hercules????? In this thread??????????? :colbert:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I won’t say I’m in love is a bop

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Data Graham posted:

Out There never really clicked with me, but Hellfire is incredible. Probably why they play it so much in the score that it's practically the main theme of the movie even though it's the villain's song.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Hedrigall posted:

Yup yup yup.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hunchback went full Prestiege Musical when their bread and butter has always been Catchy Bop Showtunes. As good as some of the songs are in Hunchback, they're utterly impossible to call up the way that Poor Unfortunate Souls is.

As much as I love the idea of marrying Catholic liturgical songs with musical, it just doesn't make for humming music.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hedrigall posted:

Yeah, true, rescinded.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I actually think chasing memorable singles is what hurt Disney. Beauty and the Beast really verges on being an opera at times and just has a complexity that I'm not really sure I've seen in other Disney films. I didn't really realize as a kid that in Belle's song when she's singing about the plot of the book it's to the same melody as "Something There." I think Aladdin still maintains that a bit, but you really start losing musical cohesiveness in Lion King. Like it's fine because the songs are really good and the score is good, but it's not quite the same. It's the real transition away from almost constant singing and motifs to the characters just announcing, "It's time for a song now!"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know that for all my stanning for The Lion King my whole life, I was never that impressed with most of the songs; right from day one they struck me as "oh we're doing a song now" type interludes, and it didn't help that they were still flailing with the loss of Ashman. I don't care how legendary a lyricist Tim Rice is, his songs in Aladdin are dire compared to the Ashman ones. I am STILL not over the fact that they reprised Prince Ali with the line "Just a con, need I go on, take it from me". Ashman had written some G&S-esque counterpoint filigree and you took up the baton by putting in filler? How do you live with yourself? Jesus

What TLK brought in spades however as the symphonic score. Hans Zimmer made his career that summer. And it was his influence and rearrangements that raised Circle of Life to something unprecedented and never again approached.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

Hunchback went full Prestiege Musical when their bread and butter has always been Catchy Bop Showtunes. As good as some of the songs are in Hunchback, they're utterly impossible to call up the way that Poor Unfortunate Souls is.

As much as I love the idea of marrying Catholic liturgical songs with musical, it just doesn't make for humming music.

You say that but whenever Hellfire crosses my mind I’m singing the whole thing to myself.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The music in Hercules is all great. A Star is Born, Zero to Hero, all the Gospel Truths. It’s immensely singable.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

JazzFlight posted:

Out There never really clicked with me, but Hellfire is incredible. Probably why they play it so much in the score that it's practically the main theme of the movie even though it's the villain's song.

It pretty much is Frollo's film.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Timeless Appeal posted:

I actually think chasing memorable singles is what hurt Disney. Beauty and the Beast really verges on being an opera at times and just has a complexity that I'm not really sure I've seen in other Disney films. I didn't really realize as a kid that in Belle's song when she's singing about the plot of the book it's to the same melody as "Something There." I think Aladdin still maintains that a bit, but you really start losing musical cohesiveness in Lion King. Like it's fine because the songs are really good and the score is good, but it's not quite the same. It's the real transition away from almost constant singing and motifs to the characters just announcing, "It's time for a song now!"

That's what happens when you take a musical duo and get them to score your film. Every time Menken has scored a Disney musical all of the important connective tissue is there for the songs (and even in the interstitial parts, which is why the SCORE for Pocahontas is still good even if the film isn't) but if your lyricist isn't up to that standard you're gonna get first pass lyrics like "just a con, need I go on" or "they're not like you and me, which means they must be evil". If we ignore A Guy Like You (which we should) then the songs in Hunchback are a return to the form we had for Mermaid and BatB.

I have no strong opinions on Hercules, because Motown and Gospel aren't my thing but everyone sells it so everything is still enjoyable

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Apologies if the dub trailer for Belle was already posted, but it's kind of bothering me? I remember mostly enjoying the other dubs of hosoda's movies, but this one sounds a little off. Like some casting sounds good, but the few lines in the trailer that should be synced to mouth motion seem really off. Is it just me?

https://youtu.be/iLCjdAmsFWo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLCjdAmsFWo

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I've grown to like both styles, but if I had to pick one then I'm definitely more about the operatic cohesive stuff than the Broadway pop stuff.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Aces High posted:

That's what happens when you take a musical duo and get them to score your film. Every time Menken has scored a Disney musical all of the important connective tissue is there for the songs (and even in the interstitial parts, which is why the SCORE for Pocahontas is still good even if the film isn't) but if your lyricist isn't up to that standard you're gonna get first pass lyrics like "just a con, need I go on" or "they're not like you and me, which means they must be evil". If we ignore A Guy Like You (which we should) then the songs in Hunchback are a return to the form we had for Mermaid and BatB.

I have no strong opinions on Hercules, because Motown and Gospel aren't my thing but everyone sells it so everything is still enjoyable

Yeah Menken is a goddamn master and I really don't like Disney's recent trend of having the score composer and the singin' songs composer be different. There's like one taste of Menken/operatic-style cohesion in the Frozen 1 score and it's the best part, but the rest either plays off of cut songs or is just a different beast entirely. Meh.

I haven't watched Encanto yet, I know LMM didn't do the score but does it at least vibe better?

edit: My favorite Menken score has got to be Enchanted just because it's as much a pastiche of his own Disney scores as the movie itself is of Disney princess movies

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Galavant is really fun too because Menken scored it and apparently had a blast taking the piss out of himself.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Galavant is really fun too because Menken scored it and apparently had a blast taking the piss out of himself.

Genuinely one of my favorite shows ever, and has a few songs that I'd rate as among Menken's best. "What Am I Feeling" and "Will My Day Ever Come" are amazing. He's probably my favorite composer ever though. Used to teach my students about film scoring and the use of motifs using the Beauty and the Beast score.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Kingtheninja posted:

Apologies if the dub trailer for Belle was already posted, but it's kind of bothering me? I remember mostly enjoying the other dubs of hosoda's movies, but this one sounds a little off. Like some casting sounds good, but the few lines in the trailer that should be synced to mouth motion seem really off. Is it just me?

https://youtu.be/iLCjdAmsFWo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLCjdAmsFWo

I’ve heard really good things about this movie and this trailer makes me want to see it even more but on a very basic level I think it’s hilarious that Hosoda has been making movies about people fighting in the internet for two decades. I want to know if he tried to add an ending to Girl Who Lept Through Time where she has to fight someone in cyberspace

edit: like Wargreymon could show up in that movie and I would not blink once

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Watched Hunchback with my wife and it's such a weird movie--in a good way! Hard agree of it being a return to the form of an actual cohesive musical although the vibe is very contemporary and reminds me of Webber in parts. Les Mis kind of hovers over it with Hellfire being emotionally pretty close to "Stars" even if the former is not as horny.

One thing that I really, really liked though is that the character do genuinely feel like adults. The choices that Quasimodo has are hard, but he's never petty. His relationship with Phoebus is strained and awkward without ever being jerks to each other. It's also probably the most textual sex is in Disney. It really feels like it's going for a vibe that Pocahontas was also going for, but failed terribly at. It does though make the gargoyles more insufferable even if I like their song.

It ranked super high for us and above Lion King which I was not expecting.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 22, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DC Murderverse posted:

edit: like Wargreymon could show up in that movie and I would not blink once

I mean how many movies can you say this about

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It would be my movie of the year if Wargreymon showed up

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Digimon's aesthetic is so all over the place that you could slap WarGreymon into anything and I'd go "you know what, sure."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean how many movies can you say this about

at least three

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Roth posted:

It would be my movie of the year if Wargreymon showed up

I'd say this about almost any movie.

I'm still disappointed we didn't get a Digimon in Smash Bros.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

he's the mac daddy dragon of the nyc ya heard

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ron's Gone Wrong was enjoyable!

Not sure exactly how I feel about the overall message, or the villain, but I like that Ron's "broken" nature isn't a detriment at the end.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I watched it with my brother the other day and while we both agreed that the satire in Mitchells Vs the Machines was stronger, we did like how weird Rons Gone Wrong got. It kept going in directions we didn't really see coming and we enjoyed the ride for what it was.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

FilthyImp posted:

Ron's Gone Wrong was enjoyable!

Not sure exactly how I feel about the overall message, or the villain, but I like that Ron's "broken" nature isn't a detriment at the end.

It is currently my son’s obsession so I have seen it about eight times in the past few days. I am a sucker for robots and movies about robots, especially when the robots are people, and ultimately Ron’s Gone Wrong is about a robot gaining sentience and his “owner” learning how to cope with this.
And then sentience is thrust upon 100 million/250 million (they use both numbers to say how many are out there) robots.

Ron is absolutely adorable, but man, some of the humans are a little hard to look at. There’s just something off about them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Ron is absolutely adorable, but man, some of the humans are a little hard to look at. There’s just something off about them.
It's a world populated by the bastard universe of Cloudy with A Chance of Meatballs and Hogarth Hughes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

sentience is thrust upon 100 million/250 million (they use both numbers to say how many are out there) robots.
Didn't see "at 2:14 am eastern time, August 29" coming, might have to watch it