Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Slimy Hog posted:

Can we talk about something other than KDM now?

What are the best expansions for Nemesis, if anyway.

I saw Aftermath had extra characters, but wasn't sure if they could be used in base Nemesis.
I know the Medic was a KS exclusive character

Realistically I'll probably get more than enough play out of the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Slimy Hog posted:

Maybe the Asmodee thing? Or what games you got yourself for the holidays?

I can start I guess:

I got Meltwater and a couple other Hollandspiele games, but I'm not sure what they are yet since I had my wife pick them out for me.

If only there was a way to make each hour of the day last a bit longer so I actually had time to play my games.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Slimy Hog posted:

Or what games you got yourself for the holidays?

My BGG Secret Santa got me Tawantinsuyu. I'm giving myself Boonlake and giving Draftosaurus and Tiny Towns to family.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Tekopo posted:

Unfathomable was pretty good and I might try to get a few games of it during the holidays. It improves a lot on the formula created by BSG. The only thing I'm doubting is the replayability, but I think I can get some good games out of it and at least they fixed the bad guy reveal mechanisms this time around. Much better than in the original BSG game.

My group is addicted to Unfathomable atm.

I'm hosting Traitor Tuesday next week for Nemesis + Unfathomable.

Then the week after that is Twilight Imperium.

Going to be a very bloody Xmas :gritin:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I bought 5 copies of The Crew - Deep Sea for gifts. I didn't ask for any games but I did get a neat set of custom acrylic tokens for Marvel Champs, or at least I'll get them in a month or two whenever the mail delivers it from Europe.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Like I'm almost kind of surprised that FFG was able to laser-drill the issues that were present in the original iteration of the game and manage to fix them so consistently. Chief among them were:
- Issues with only pilots being able to deal with enemies: completely fixed by making everyone be able to fight and fight relatively well, but allowing characters that draw combat skills to be much more efficient in that regard.
- Fixing the way that the game functions for certain number of players (I know that the cultist was a fix from a latter expansion of BSG, but I think it's good that they saw that it was a functional fix and went to implement it in Unfathomable).
- Issues with traitor reveal in that the game for them became quite boring after they revealed. Now they have an amended way of doing similar actions that they were doing before, although they are more limited in their movements and ability to sabotage things when revealed.

This isn't even including some of the novel new additions, including but not limited to:
- having specific crisis cards related to specific characters, really adding character to them and creating cool moments of choice for those specific players.
- one character being explicitly called as non-binary within the game.

Overall I was impressed: even my friends that aren't keen on traitor games liked it and were engaged till the end.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Tekopo posted:

Unfathomable was pretty good and I might try to get a few games of it during the holidays. It improves a lot on the formula created by BSG. The only thing I'm doubting is the replayability, but I think I can get some good games out of it and at least they fixed the bad guy reveal mechanisms this time around. Much better than in the original BSG game.

Do you think it's fair to say that it's... extremely difficult for the human side? I haven't played it but a friend who owns a copy says that of the three times he's played so far he's observed that it seems next to impossible to get that ship home.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Infinitum posted:

I saw Aftermath had extra characters, but wasn't sure if they could be used in base Nemesis.

The aftermath characters are usable in the base game, and it also adds a card each with trait abilities to the base game characters. They are color coded so if you roll red for instance you can choose between the Soldier and the Convict. The Bounty Hunter has a cool dog, and some of the others have unique interactions which can be fun.

The aftermath expansion gameplay outside of the characters doesn't seem too great. We've played dozens of Nemesis (in person and TTS) and Lockdown (beta on TTS) games over the last few years and we've only done the aftermath mission with the shuttle once. Usually there's not enough play time for it or we want to switch to something else. The different enemy expansions shake things up but the base enemies are the best. We've only fought carnomorphs once, and have tried the void seeders a few times. The models for both are fairly cool. I'd only shell out for either if you are really into it or play it enough that you'll want the variety. Medic is pretty good if you can get her cheap, my friend who owns the game picked her up with the Lockdown kickstarter and had a blast playing kingmaker healing and screwing people over with her cards.

We've gotten a ton of mileage out of just the base game, swapping between working together with coop and screwing people over with the corporate mode. After that I'd value getting more characters from LockdownAftermath, then maybe Void Seeders or Carnomorphs depending on if you think dealing with shadowy insanity or gross mutations sounds like more fun.

Best value may be sticking with the base game a few times and then getting the Lockdown stand alone game when it comes out since it will have new characters + a new game board and enemies. The characters won't carry over between the two though. It's supposedly on shipping containers now, though it could be months before it hits stores still given on the situation everywhere. It will be a while for the US anyway, not sure about your neck of the woods.

edit: when the game came up in this thread previously, many people weren't happy with the semi-coop semi-competitive nature of it. It can be a bit mean spirited, but my playgroup does find that hilarious. I myself prefer the pure coop mode, and there's a running gag in our playgroup that one of the guys always ends up getting spaced, and another tends to spawn the alien queen on himself in the opening turns which isn't a fun start for him. The game can be very swingy. My best playthrough was one where as the engineer everything I needed was in a 4 room loop from the start so I was out of the game victorious with almost no interaction besides a turret (new obstacle added by aftermath) shooting me a few times while the other three players had a comedy of errors with the rest of the ship broken, on fire, and teeming with enemies. We really enjoyed the game for years, so I'm curious if Lockdown has that longevity or if we've burned out on the game style. Lockdown may be too much RNG with the new hidden victory condition you are expected to investigate and prepare for while doing everything else.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 20, 2021

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

FulsomFrank posted:

Do you think it's fair to say that it's... extremely difficult for the human side? I haven't played it but a friend who owns a copy says that of the three times he's played so far he's observed that it seems next to impossible to get that ship home.
I dunno, I've only played it a couple of times and I've had one narrow human win and one narrow hybrid win, so my pool of experiences is poor.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I got my friends kids the Goliath version of Fireball Island, hope they enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the original when I was their age.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Slimy Hog posted:

Maybe the Asmodee thing? Or what games you got yourself for the holidays?

I caved and got Clash of Cultures monumental edition. Still working on how I’m supposed to store everything

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
No more boardgame purchases for me for a while.

I'm just waiting for Sleeping Gods and Tides of Ruin to arrive at some point in 2022 (order is just waiting on the expansion reprint).

I should also be getting Aeon's End: Legacy of Gravehold next month. That might possibly be my last crowdfund ever. In hindsight, I never really needed to kickstart anything ever.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ta.

Yeah honestly if they did a character only expansion pack I'd probably be most interested in just that for added variety for my players.

FulsomFrank posted:

Last game the Captain was a Fish from the beginning, and it didn't become apparent until too late.
Keeper of the Tomes also became a Fish when we got halfway.

So.. yeah.. humans didn't win that one

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Slimy Hog posted:

Or what games you got yourself for the holidays?
I picked up a copy of The Search for Planet X, because my wife and I love deduction games, and we can sometimes get our friends to begrudgingly play them with us.

It's solid. People that are 100% opposed to app-driven board games should give it a pass, but otherwise it's a well-designed deductive puzzler that never feels too easy or too hard. Despite there being an app element to reveal new information, you're mostly using an old-school Clue-style deduction sheet and a pencil, and I love it. It feels like you're an astronomer using the telescope's computer to tell you what it sees, but it's up to you to interpret it.

The difficulty levels are per-player, so if you're experienced and play with kids or non-gamers, you can set it so they get more starting clues than you do.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I don't know when my copy of Pax Pamir will arive but I'm hoping it's soon.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Infinitum posted:

I'm kinda on the fence about Nemisis. It seemed to work fine as an experience generator more than an actual game. The goals especially are very swingy it terms of difficultly . From pick up some items to collect an egg from the hive. Also the kill a specific player goal is pretty mean in a game with player elimination thats fairly long.

The core gameplay loop is good just really the objectives that don't work for me. I don't think anyone has taken the Corp objective or divert the spaceship which are the fun ones because they're just loads harder than the others.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

FulsomFrank posted:

As your group plays more and people become better at managing resources properly, the game gets easier for the humans. I think it's definitely weighted against humans, especially with the great capacity for RNG elements to go against them. I think this is the better way to design the game though, because then the game has a better lifespan when people are better at it.

I played recently and I have tons of experience with BSG, by counting the likely chaos deck draws, I immediately knew that one player was a Hybrid. I didn't accuse them right off the bat because it was the first game for everyone and nobody would believe my line of reasoning. But with more experience we probably could have brigged them and then kept them perma-sickbay'd for most of the game. The other element of experience is knowing what's possible to be drawn from item/keeper of tome deck so you can play to your outs better.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

WhiteHowler posted:

I picked up a copy of The Search for Planet X, because my wife and I love deduction games, and we can sometimes get our friends to begrudgingly play them with us.

It's solid. People that are 100% opposed to app-driven board games should give it a pass, but otherwise it's a well-designed deductive puzzler that never feels too easy or too hard. Despite there being an app element to reveal new information, you're mostly using an old-school Clue-style deduction sheet and a pencil, and I love it. It feels like you're an astronomer using the telescope's computer to tell you what it sees, but it's up to you to interpret it.

The difficulty levels are per-player, so if you're experienced and play with kids or non-gamers, you can set it so they get more starting clues than you do.

Planet X forcing everyone to announce their moves, including research topics, creates a fascinating sub-layer of the puzzle that I really love. I was able to guess what a sector was purely through my opponent's actions, and put a theory on it the same round they did.

I thought it would replace Alchemists for me, but interestingly, the worker placement aspect of Alchemists still provides enough dynamism in the puzzle for it to feel different to me. I prefer Planet X overall, but want to keep both.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
All my kickstarter games just piled in at once in like a month. I've got Kingdom Derail Masochism 2k21 Fuzzy Balls Simulator No Text Picturebook Edition, Radlands, Mouse Cheese Cat Cucumber, Sleeping Gods, Project L Finesse, and probably right after is Perseverance Castaway Chronicles. Picked up 7 Wonders Architects at a con and someone gifted Dune. 7 Wonders Architects is probably my new go-to easy game, good for an assortment of people, player counts, etc. Can play it as a warm-up with a group, as a short after-dinner game, or with people who don't play board games. Also came with a plastic kitty.

I poopsocked Gloomhaven and it was.. fine. It's good, but the reward structure is seriously lacking. It's a bit of a let-down when you clear a 90-minute grueling scenario and get gently caress all from the scenario aside from the few coins you collected. At least Too Many Bones has the courtesy of giving you something each time so you feel material progress aside from erasing a number on your sheet and thinking "wow, just have to do that four more times and I'll get a new card!". It's just inexcusably bad game design. Hoping Frosthaven fixes this.

e: To add, I don't mind weird reward structures in games that I don't expect "balance", like Too Many Bones or THAT GAME THAT GOONS RAGE ABOUT, but Gloomhaven is supposed to be a tailored experience, so it's not like the designers can't approximate where the players will be after an encounter. They could at least throw around item designs or something that you'll never finish a deck of anyway.

Etherfields is coming Q1 2022, which I'm very much looking forward to, especially with the "fixes" to some of the random encounter slog, and I'm hoping Artisans of Splendent Vale is as good as the previews looked.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 21, 2021

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Got a haul from a local seller and so have picked up:

Kemet + expansion
Xcom + expansion
Space Alert
Pax Pamir
Falling

For £138 total, all in good condition. Pretty pleased with that!

If only I could, uh, get them to the table anytime soon

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Fellis posted:

As your group plays more and people become better at managing resources properly, the game gets easier for the humans. I think it's definitely weighted against humans, especially with the great capacity for RNG elements to go against them. I think this is the better way to design the game though, because then the game has a better lifespan when people are better at it.

I played recently and I have tons of experience with BSG, by counting the likely chaos deck draws, I immediately knew that one player was a Hybrid. I didn't accuse them right off the bat because it was the first game for everyone and nobody would believe my line of reasoning. But with more experience we probably could have brigged them and then kept them perma-sickbay'd for most of the game. The other element of experience is knowing what's possible to be drawn from item/keeper of tome deck so you can play to your outs better.

This you likely know already but you can’t sick bay a revealed traitor, they just stay in the brig. Which is not awful for them now.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

We had double traitors in the brig last game, and then I got put in there via a card.

There was no way for me to get out as both traitors could just burn a bunch of cards to keep me in there.

They just sat there playing cards

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

You couldn't get past them playing in 1 card each per attempt to get out?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Played my first few games of Radlands . It's . . . fine? Fun, pretty fast, would play again, but also pretty easy to tell what your good moves are (if any), and quite luck-dependent. The Raiders are kind of an irregular timer on the game; if the battle for the spaces in front of the camps is even, the player who works their raiders faster will win. The ability to hurt others far outstrips your ability to heal yourself, which contributes to a headlong feel, but also leads to some abrupt reversals, such as where somebody is able to junk a card to restore a camp that does something cool and turn around the game. I suspect a mediocre-but-lucky player might almost always beat a skilled one though. I was hoping for something a little more interesting but am not disappointed.

The production values are as-advertised. The plastic cards are great, the art is what I was expecting, the whole package is well-thought-out and good quality. I think the playmats are more than decorative, since they remind you that you can draw a card for two water.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Tekopo posted:

You couldn't get past them playing in 1 card each per attempt to get out?

We were card starved :(

Like we were 100% losing by that point to be fair

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Completely off topic but I've turned off avatars. Would someone tell me if my Avatar is changed? Thanks.

In other news getting ready to play Ark Nova, I got a copy from Philibertnet.com. Also waiting for Bitoku which should get out of USPS hell sometime this week.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Mayveena posted:

Completely off topic but I've turned off avatars. Would someone tell me if my Avatar is changed? Thanks.

In other news getting ready to play Ark Nova, I got a copy from Philibertnet.com. Also waiting for Bitoku which should get out of USPS hell sometime this week.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

If you need a game to play with a large group, or even just a few, 6 Nimmt is a hell of a card game.

dishwasherlove fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 21, 2021

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

FulsomFrank posted:

That's certainly been our experience as veteran BSG players, only got our first human win in game four and that's still playing on beginner mode (everyone gets a full hands of cards and no loyalty cards dealt until everyone has had a turn) and even in that game a lot of it probably came down to the hybrid playing way too cautiously. I do think though that as someone mentioned, as we get used to the game it will likely become easier for humans as you get to know the crisis deck the efficacy of various actions etc.

I'm really enjoying the game but rather sad that it seems to have become almost purely mechanical and largely themeless - at least it feels that way to me. The lack of art on most cards and the bland flavour text really isn't helping anything.

Re: Matt Eklund and Stationfall mentioned before, I don't understand enough about the connections between Matt and Phil specifically to comment there (apart from them being father and son obviously) but at least judging from the game itself it seems that Matt is going in a very different direction with one of the more diverse casts of characters I've come across in a board game including more than one non binary character. When asked if Phil was involved Matt was fairly emphatic that there was no involvement so reading between the lines I don't think he shares his father's views - but presumably money from the project goes to Ion which still benefits Phil? That's where I'm really not clear. I like the game a lot though, it's definitely worth checking out on tts if you're on the fence.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Phil gets a salary from Ion, so anything that helps keep the lights on benefits Phil

Personally, F Ion

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Llyranor posted:

Phil gets a salary from Ion, so anything that helps keep the lights on benefits Phil

Personally, F Ion

Yeah, didn't they also walk back their commitment to review or curtail the various nonsense "-ist" screeds he's been publishing? Ion are unprincipled cowards and parroting harmful ideas and so should not get any of anyone's money until they separate themselves from that fucker.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I believe Ion said they would take them out/add counterbalancing notes and Phil Ecklund said no they won't and pointed to his contract, which has a clause about the integrity of his rulebooks or w/e.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

Yeah, didn't they also walk back their commitment to review or curtail the various nonsense "-ist" screeds he's been publishing? Ion are unprincipled cowards and parroting harmful ideas and so should not get any of anyone's money until they separate themselves from that fucker.

1000% agreed, no way would I touch an Ion game. I won't play them either no matter how much people rave about Pax Ren.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

In other news the digital version of Maricaibo has no online play and no AI players. Unbelievable in 2021.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Aramoro posted:

This you likely know already but you can’t sick bay a revealed traitor, they just stay in the brig. Which is not awful for them now.

I did not know that, hrm. That admittedly was some theorycraft on how we would have handled that game. I guess keeping them in the brig is fine but I do think brig is pretty de-fanged. There are a good amount of card abilities that are relevant while you’re in the brig, and dodging crisis cards can be good as long as the board is staying clean.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Mayveena posted:

In other news the digital version of Maricaibo has no online play and no AI players. Unbelievable in 2021.

I was so excited to be able to play more Maracaibo, but that sounds completely useless as an app. Who thought releasing a pass-n-play only game was a good idea? Really hope they update it with ideally both multiplayer and bots along with the expansion.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Mayveena posted:

What is even the point of that then? So you and your friends can sit around a screen instead of the actual board? Bizarre.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I would presume they planned to include net-code but then... whatever the reverse of feature-creep is happened.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Well, that sucks about Stationfall. I backed, and have been eagerly awaiting it. It seems like it'll fill a really good niche in my collection. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mayveena posted:

what in the fresh hell? That's incomprehensible.