Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

The standard hex base is 1.25" across. 30mm will also work, but I picked up some 40mm after being frustrated with some of the bulkier minis not fitting on the base unless I flipped it over.

I've done that and it never really looks right IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
So I've started to pick up BT miniatures where I can. Out of curiosity, are the new Forcepacks from the Kickstarter going to be sold in stores eventually, or was that just a one-time thing for the KS?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Catalyst has been selling them off and on as they finish fulfillment, but the only place you're sure to find them is the Catalyst store; and even then they don't have too many left so it's kinda a take-what-you-can-get thing.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

You can find them at various online retailers as well, but it takes some searching. I was able to pick a Direct Fire Lance from IRL Games ( https://www.irlgameshop.com/miniature-games/battletech/ ). It looks like they only have Elementals and the Clan Heavy Battle Star in stock now.

Speaking of the Direct Fire Lance, the Crusader sculpt is just about perfect. It captures the original design's profile (unlike so many other redesigns of the mech), and the pose is fantastic.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
well, the good news is that Tamar Rising finally has a street date. Sadly, it's not for another month (I guess the ship must be on the way or something)

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

SirFozzie posted:

well, the good news is that Tamar Rising finally has a street date. Sadly, it's not for another month (I guess the ship must be on the way or something)

Looks like the Legion is coming back from the preview images.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Already happened. There's a short story came out about it a few months ago.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

WHAT

Can someone spoiler how the Sea Foxes fixed the HPGs? Is it just handwavium to wipe away the last part of Dark Age unceremoniously?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Probably just found a clean set of install instructions to wipe everything clean and clean out the worm's hidden places to get reinstalled.

"Clan Sea Fox: This is why you keep your virus definitions updated, folks"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm ok with Clan Sea Fox taking over the role of ComStar. They'd pretty much done that already, and there wasn't much stopping anyone from building more HPGs once the last of the Republic's Wobbie Super HPGs stopped loving up hyperspace.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I kind of assume everyone is nationalizing the hpgs in their space. It would be awfully dumb not to.

De Rol Le
Feb 5, 2015
Right now the Catalyst web store is the mostly likely place to find the force packs. They mention when they do restocks sometimes, but you should double check often anyway. I placed a big order with them when they did a restock they didn’t mention.

You can also find them if you look around on the web. Miniature market got a few extra in a week ago.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm still waiting on a MM preorder from like September so be careful with that.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm ok with Clan Sea Fox taking over the role of ComStar. They'd pretty much done that already, and there wasn't much stopping anyone from building more HPGs once the last of the Republic's Wobbie Super HPGs stopped loving up hyperspace.

Plus Comstar's story is pretty much played out by this point. Let them bow out and be replaced, there's not much left to do with them except Wobbie Two: Electric Boogaloo.

De Rol Le
Feb 5, 2015

moths posted:

I'm still waiting on a MM preorder from like September so be careful with that.

I’ve done preorders with them three times, and had issues every single time. Their customer support has always been really good about the problem(probably cause they have to deal with it all the time) get ahold of them if you are tired of waiting. I’m not sure what it is, but from what I’ve seen other people mention, it’s always been bad.

In other news: got my catalyst order today. Time to paint the entire Grey death legion up to 3065 :rms:

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

De Rol Le posted:

I’ve done preorders with them three times, and had issues every single time. Their customer support has always been really good about the problem(probably cause they have to deal with it all the time) get ahold of them if you are tired of waiting. I’m not sure what it is, but from what I’ve seen other people mention, it’s always been bad.

Catalyst is partially to blame too. You submit your Wave 2 preorder at MM in June, and it's in stock on the CGL store in November. After incurring months of cargo ship delays, CGL pushed out their release calendar to who knows when. For example, the Alien Worlds map set isn't released to general availability, it's a "preview release." When will CGL ship product? I asked and retailers can't say. I've got that map set and a few forcepacks holding up orders at MM and GameNerdz, despite Catalyst dripfeeding them on their webstore for going on two months now. It's like they forgot people were placing preorders in May.

Speaking of restocks, CGL has most of the Inner Sphere forcepacks in stock right now--everything but the Comstar Command Level II and Battle Lance. They're doing a promotion where for every $20 you spend pre-tax/S&H, you get a comped clan invasion salvage box. All I get are Vipers and Novas, but free is free.

De Rol Le
Feb 5, 2015

Contingency posted:

Catalyst is partially to blame too. You submit your Wave 2 preorder at MM in June, and it's in stock on the CGL store in November. After incurring months of cargo ship delays, CGL pushed out their release calendar to who knows when. For example, the Alien Worlds map set isn't released to general availability, it's a "preview release." When will CGL ship product? I asked and retailers can't say. I've got that map set and a few forcepacks holding up orders at MM and GameNerdz, despite Catalyst dripfeeding them on their webstore for going on two months now. It's like they forgot people were placing preorders in May.

Speaking of restocks, CGL has most of the Inner Sphere forcepacks in stock right now--everything but the Comstar Command Level II and Battle Lance. They're doing a promotion where for every $20 you spend pre-tax/S&H, you get a comped clan invasion salvage box. All I get are Vipers and Novas, but free is free.

Oh yeah for sure, but Like I said MM has had problems with preorders since they started as a business, it’s nothing new.

I believe two of my preorders were a distributor issue, and the other two were just MM going: “whoops, our bad!”

Hobby progress wise: got the 3025 grey death command lance base coated:black101:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Headshot is a Clan drinking challenge that's just chugging a cup of their non-toxic 'Mech coolant and then taking a punch to the face from an elemental.

Winner is the last person to remain conscious.

huh, I would have bet on it being called 'A Kerenski'

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
No, a Kerensky is getting drunk on distilled non toxic 'Mech coolant until you have an emotional breakdown and throw a childish temper tantrum in the middle of the Mechbay.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

lol I was referring to Ol' St. Nick taking a cockpit shot by accident, but that works pretty great, too.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh, you're talking about a Nikki K.

That's a Kerensky where your tantrum gets interrupted by an Elemental suplexing you into an ammo bin.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

An Andery Kerensky is a delightfully potent and yet smooth whiskey that for some reason gets constantly passed over in favor of just drinking a jug of wood alcohol

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

An Andery Kerensky is a delightfully potent and yet smooth whiskey that for some reason gets constantly passed over in favor of just drinking a jug of wood alcohol

Jug of wood alcohol - 2 arm wrestles
Kerensky Whiskey - 35 arm wrestles

it's simple economcis really(i dont know anything about the clans)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Andery Kerensky was a thoughtful and empathetic young officer whom his father constantly passed over in favor of his brother Nicholas, a violent psychopath who saw all civilians as less than human. In this metaphor, Nicholas is the jug of wood alcohol.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

When the Clanner has an Andery they feel like they're experiencing something better but don't understand why.

An Aleksander Kerensky is just an Old Fashioned.

A Nicholas Kerensky is just pure ethanol doped with Krokodil, meth, and steroids.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 20, 2021

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I just bought the Clan Invasion expansion box set for a family friend. What kind of scenario should I run with it for Christmas

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I just bought the Clan Invasion expansion box set for a family friend. What kind of scenario should I run with it for Christmas

Assuming you only have access to the 'Mechs in the box set, do a 2v3 (Executioner Prime and Grendel) vs. (Timber Wolf, Nova, and Adder)

It won't be a fair fight so assuming you're GMing take the Executioner Prime and Grendel since they'll have the hard-er time winning. If you're just mediating between two different players be upfront and let them know the forces are unbalanced and let them decide who wants to play the more challenging force.

If you have access to the 'mechs in the beginner box, do a 5v8 with the Clan Star vs. the 8 beginner box 'Mechs. The IS 'Mechs will have a harder time of it but the numbers advantage helps them.

Edit: A 2v2 with the Executioner and Adder vs. Timberwolf and Grendel might be better balanced, come to think of it. The Nova Prime is just a hard 'Mech to balance around.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 20, 2021

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Thanks for that writeup. That'll work great for me & 2 others!

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Andery Kerensky was a thoughtful and empathetic young officer whom his father constantly passed over in favor of his brother Nicholas, a violent psychopath who saw all civilians as less than human. In this metaphor, Nicholas is the jug of wood alcohol.

Can I just say I really wish Randall N. Bills would write a character who isn't a constantly empathetic, self-loathing mechwarrior with cratered self-esteem? Because I had to put Visions of Rebirth down after Chapter 6. And I forced myself to finish the novel before that.

Also I'm really worried about Randall N. Bills. This is like his 3rd character like this. Someone make sure he's ok.

PopTartsNinja posted:

So the Republic was really behind it the whole time?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Yeah, please spill the beans on all the Republic secrets like Gray Monday & the Fortress. I kinda want to run my Destiny campaign in 3132 because of the chaos marchy theme and industrialmechs

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Has there been any more word on that big jump to the future (3205?) they were planning on doing at some point?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Technowolf posted:

Has there been any more word on that big jump to the future (3205?) they were planning on doing at some point?

The fanbase got grumpy so they're not doing a timeskip.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They're still using it as a framing device, though. I think the jist of their AMA was that they think the Dark Age jump was way too large, which I would probably agree with. Not that you couldn't do something like that, but I don't think CGL has the manpower to really go clean break, so you're still leaning on old stuff, and that's too big a gap for that method. I wouldn't rule out a smaller 20-Year Update type thing at some point though.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 21, 2021

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Yeah, please spill the beans on all the Republic secrets like Gray Monday & the Fortress.

IIRC Stone was basically a Wobbie the other Wobbies programmed as as a 'controlled resistance' to defeat them and create a new Terran Hegemony. The Republic was basically the Wobbie end goal because they knew even if they "won" the Jihad everyone would hate them.

I may have some bits wrong, so feel free to correct me, but Devlin Stone's plan was roughly:

1) Cryogenically freeze himself (because he's the linchpin of the whole plan) and wait until the Inner Sphere was either relatively disarmed after 50-100 years or so broken by continual low-level wars that everyone would be sick of living in poverty in the Great Houses when the Republic was prospering.
2) Set off Gray Monday and use the Republic's forces to conquer the entire Inner Sphere (or at least break the backs of the Great Houses). Presumably there would have been mass briefings to Republic commanders just prior to Gray Monday letting them in on the plan at a point when it would've been too late for anyone to protest or stop it.

Except someone (almost certainly Victor Davion) set off Gray Monday early. We don't know why but the general suspicion is that either someone pieced together Devlin's plan early and knew they couldn't stop it, so they set it off early to spoil it (unlikely); that someone realized whoever their successor was didn't have the right personality to actually follow-through with the plan (possible!); or, it was set off because someone who knew most/all of the plan got impatient and/or had a desire to see the great work started before they died (Victor Davion again, funny how the Blackout kicked off when he knew he was on his deathbed :hmmyes: ).

So then a bunch of orders went out, a bunch of sleeper agents with programmed instructions got activated, a bunch of automated systems kicked off, and the Blackout happened without the Republic's leadership having been briefed; without them having had time to secretly build up forces; and before they could finish developing all the superweapons they were secretly working on.

Whoops.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
lmao. also that makes me even hornier for the Liao Incursion. Can't be wrong about being xenophobic 100% of the time!!!

Still going to try and set the campaign in the Prefecture VII-VIII side of things though. Galatea, Outreach, Solaris, and some of the crazy developments that happen further out as time goes on like Nova Cat shenanigans, the reformation of the FWL, and more Clan fun that ends in the Wolf Empire

Stewart seems nice.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

lmao. also that makes me even hornier for the Liao Incursion. Can't be wrong about being xenophobic 100% of the time!!!

Daoshen Liao was just the right sort of crazy to see through Devlin Stone from the outset, is all.

He's still a nutter who thinks he's the physical incarnation of the combined will of all the citizens (not all the people, just the citizens) of the Capellan Confederation.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Also, Stone thought that he could use the Federated Suns, the only government still friendly to the Republic by the time Stone froze himself, to hold the DCMS and CCAF at bay until he was ready to deal with him. Unfortunately, even the AFFS of 3130 was not the same army as in 3067, and even before Palymra it was fighting a losing battle.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yes, let's trust the nation with a historical track record of getting their asses handed to them by the DCMS to hold the DCMS at bay. :v:

Still want the Draconis Combine and Federated Suns to merge because Samurai Cowboys > Samurai or Cowboys.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

PoptartsNinja posted:

IIRC Stone was basically a Wobbie the other Wobbies programmed as as a 'controlled resistance' to defeat them and create a new Terran Hegemony. The Republic was basically the Wobbie end goal because they knew even if they "won" the Jihad everyone would hate them.

I may have some bits wrong, so feel free to correct me, but Devlin Stone's plan was roughly:

1) Cryogenically freeze himself (because he's the linchpin of the whole plan) and wait until the Inner Sphere was either relatively disarmed after 50-100 years or so broken by continual low-level wars that everyone would be sick of living in poverty in the Great Houses when the Republic was prospering.
2) Set off Gray Monday and use the Republic's forces to conquer the entire Inner Sphere (or at least break the backs of the Great Houses). Presumably there would have been mass briefings to Republic commanders just prior to Gray Monday letting them in on the plan at a point when it would've been too late for anyone to protest or stop it.

Except someone (almost certainly Victor Davion) set off Gray Monday early. We don't know why but the general suspicion is that either someone pieced together Devlin's plan early and knew they couldn't stop it, so they set it off early to spoil it (unlikely); that someone realized whoever their successor was didn't have the right personality to actually follow-through with the plan (possible!); or, it was set off because someone who knew most/all of the plan got impatient and/or had a desire to see the great work started before they died (Victor Davion again, funny how the Blackout kicked off when he knew he was on his deathbed :hmmyes: ).

So then a bunch of orders went out, a bunch of sleeper agents with programmed instructions got activated, a bunch of automated systems kicked off, and the Blackout happened without the Republic's leadership having been briefed; without them having had time to secretly build up forces; and before they could finish developing all the superweapons they were secretly working on.

Whoops.

Couple problems with this.

1) Victor SD was not on his deathbed. Old for sure, but he was expecting go on kicking for at least another decade based his own POV chapters. His death was by assassination, not natural causes. And he was still trying to investigate who caused the Blackout.
2) Devlin Stone watched over the Republic as its military fell apart under budget cuts and demilitarization bills. If he was thinking he was going to trigger Gray Monday and then eventually roll out in force, why did he allow the RAF to shrink so heavily (to something like 33% effective combat roles)
3) Devlin was genuinely surprised when he was awoken to find most of his monitors weren't working, and had to be informed of Gray Monday.
4) Devlin's self-proclaimed reason for freezing himself was so he could wake up in 100 years and see how well the Republic was doing, and how it most likely absorbed the rest of the sphere by then.

I think CGL is doing a lot of retconning right now to the way Wizkids originally set up the Dark Age. Wizkids was pretty intent that the Blackout was caused by outside parties, possibly Homeworld Agents (see #19 Blood Avatar). I think CGL just wants to end everything about Dark Age and is doing so a little hamfistedly as possible.

Also, since no one has explained how Clan Sea Fox is fixing the HPGs, should I assume the newest book just says that they're doing it with no actual explanation?

DefianceIndustries posted:

Also, Stone thought that he could use the Federated Suns, the only government still friendly to the Republic by the time Stone froze himself, to hold the DCMS and CCAF at bay until he was ready to deal with him. Unfortunately, even the AFFS of 3130 was not the same army as in 3067, and even before Palymra it was fighting a losing battle.

I mean, the AFFS of 3144 prior to Palymria was between 45 and 50 Battlemech Regiments, almost equal to the CCAF and definitely bigger than the DCMS (51 and 39 by 3145 respectively). In a 2 on 1 conflict the AFFS will still lose but it definitely would've been a more hard-fought conflict, with slower losses. Palmyria and the next year where the AFFS lost 15 regiments kind of sealed the deal for them.

Alaric said in one of the newer books his IlClan was coming for the Draconis Combine to "avenge the Nova Cats", we'll see if CGL wants to actually follow up on that.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

1) Victor SD was not on his deathbed. Old for sure, but he was expecting go on kicking for at least another decade based his own POV chapters. His death was by assassination, not natural causes. And he was still trying to investigate who caused the Blackout.

Oh poo poo, I forgot he was assassinated. I'm not sure why I remember him dying of old age in Ghost War.