Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Are you dead reckoning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

BUG JUG posted:

I have some bad news for you about Comrade Fidel...

*checks wikipedia* Well poo poo, I guess his secrets go to the grave.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Are you dead reckoning

No. I just think we should take a deadly pandemic seriously and examine the actual data instead of relying on anodyne statements designed to keep us working and consuming issued by a government that serves corporations and billionaires instead of people.

I thought he was (is? I haven't seen him post in forever) kind of an rear end in a top hat frankly. I'm sure people who don't want to think about covid feel the same way about me, but that doesn't change the reality of the pandemic.

e: Looks like I'm misreading the room. I'll drop it. Clearly not going to change anyone's mind.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 20, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Loucks posted:

e: at least thank you for not doing the bad faith "why do you hate washing hands??" nonsense.

Yeah, I was the only one calling you out on it, it must be me doing bad faith.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, I was the only one calling you out on it, it must be me doing bad faith.

Nice parting shot, but you're wrong:

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Well if you read it then that's what it says, but maybe it's opposite day and words mean different things, if that's the case then don't continue

In fact I was explicitly saying that you weren't doing that. Why is it that when I take a similar tone in this subforum I get hassled, but apparently it's cool for you to be a sarcastic rear end?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why have I read like 20 posts from you defending the megavaxxer guy with 200 posts a day across every COVID thread this forum has

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Why have I read like 20 posts from you defending the megavaxxer guy with 200 posts a day across every COVID thread this forum has

Where? I've mentioned a couple of times that the post in question was a joke because some people are confused by that. I'm not defending anyone, just trying to help people understand what's happening. I definitely don't post in every covid thread, which is pretty easy to verify.

I'm perfectly happy to drop this. I thought it was helpful to clarify what was going on in that thread with that poster but if people just want to believe that the cspam thread is dumb and so goddamn crazy that's fine too.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 20, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Loucks posted:

Nice parting shot, but you're wrong:

It was not a parting shot. You got called out by at least 3 different posters. Maybe you worded it wrong, but you need to stop pretending it just bad faith argument. If you didn't mean the way you wrote it, just say that instead of attacking posters pretending they are all out to get you.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

You're simultaneously arguing that the CDC shouldn't have made the recommendation to take steps to stop fomite transmission because "that the authorities insisted that everyone should wash their hands specifically to prevent covid infection despite no evidence that it was a meaningful vector" while at the same time saying we need to "examine the actual data". Which is a god-awful approach to emergency response in general and a new viral pandemic in particular.

What i'm saying is complaining about CDC recommendations for hand washing is dumb as hell and you're dumb as hell for defending that bad take. Pushing back against your bad advice is not the same as not taking this pandemic seriously. Get off your cross we need the wood.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Loucks I'm going to ask you to stop talking about COVID prevention in this subforum because jfc

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I love this thread

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Brute Squad posted:

You're simultaneously arguing that the CDC shouldn't have made the recommendation to take steps to stop fomite transmission because "that the authorities insisted that everyone should wash their hands specifically to prevent covid infection despite no evidence that it was a meaningful vector" while at the same time saying we need to "examine the actual data". Which is a god-awful approach to emergency response in general and a new viral pandemic in particular.

What i'm saying is complaining about CDC recommendations for hand washing is dumb as hell and you're dumb as hell for defending that bad take. Pushing back against your bad advice is not the same as not taking this pandemic seriously. Get off your cross we need the wood.

i got some wood for you right here buddy

Loucks
May 21, 2007

e: saw McNally's post. Understood.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So… what if someone coughs in the air and the particles land on my hands and then I pick my nose? Will this be likely or unlikely?

Asking for my filthy no-hand washing, nose-picking kids.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i got some wood for you right here buddy

hell yeah i'd love to work with some kauri

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Brute Squad posted:

hell yeah i'd love to work with some kauri

it's great stuff. hard as hell. of course, it's also protected so i think you can only use stuff that's died naturally, but if you can get it it's amazing

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Tell me more about your hard wood. How does it compare to the king of woods, mahogany

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

Although today its use is far more restricted, in the past the size and strength of kauri timber made it a popular wood for construction and ship building, particularly for masts of sailing ships because of its parallel grain and the absence of branches for much of its height. Kauri crown and stump wood was much appreciated for its beauty, and was sought after for ornamental wood panelling as well as high-end furniture. Although not as highly prized, the light colour of kauri trunk wood made it also well-suited for more utilitarian furniture construction, as well as for use in the fabrication of cisterns, barrels, bridge construction material, fences, moulds for metal forges, large rollers for the textile industry, railway sleepers and cross bracingfor mines and tunnels.

In the late 19th and early 20th centuries Kauri gum (semi-fossilised kauri resin) was a valuable commodity, particularly for varnish, spurring the development of a gum-digger industry.

Today, the kauri is being considered as a long-term carbon sink. This is because estimates of the total carbon content in living above ground biomass and dead biomass of mature kauri forest are the second highest of any forest type recorded anywhere in the world. The estimated total carbon capture is up to nearly 1000 tones per hectare. In this capacity, kauri are bettered only by mature Eucalyptus regnans forest, and are far higher than any tropical or boreal forest type yet recorded.[30] It is also conjectured that the process of carbon capture does not reach equilibrium, which along with no need of direct maintenance, makes kauri forests a potentially attractive alternative to short rotation forestry options such as Pinus radiata.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Nice. Those look good for a yard too. Gonna have to keep them in mind for the yard when i get a house (lol)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i think by volume they're the biggest trees in the world. redwoods beat them for height but the trunks are stupid thick

check out tane mahuta here

https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/northland/places/waipoua-forest/things-to-do/tane-mahuta-walk/

Measurements:

Trunk girth: 13.77 m
Trunk height: 17.68 m
Total height: 51.2 m
Trunk volume: 244.5 m³

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

drat that girth

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I love reading about girthy hardwood.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

:same:
Don't stop. Somebody tell me about a vintage ebony source.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

i might have steered you wrong after all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_superlative_trees
The General Sherman Tree is the largest in the world at 52,508 cubic feet (1,487 cubic meters).

pretty gip

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Why is the two towers in Australia? Thats cultural appropriation!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Can I plant that Hobbitland tree in PA, and will it kill Chinese Sumac/Tree of Heaven and/or Bamboo?

Because gently caress both of those things. It's fun to pretend I'm a D&D Barbarian, but both are giant pains in my rear end that don't die.

I found some forum when I was looking at bamboo control. Paraphrased-

'there is a stand of bamboo at my new house. What can I do to keep it controlled?'

'Congrats. It's the bamboo's hone now. Chop it down seasonally, and wait for the next wave of bullshit.'

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Don't forget the next part where he says what we all know:

https://twitter.com/ElieNYC/status/1472658888243752961

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

the only way i've ever gotten bamboo under control was to hack it all down, dig it out with a pickaxe and shovel, then put an old paddling pool beneath the surface of the soil.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

One does not control bamboo. You either suffer it to live or you have to destroy it.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

gently caress Tree of Heaven, not only invasive but smells like rear end to boot.

Curious how kauri stacks up to black locust in terms of hardness, its amazingly dense and great firewood but an absolute pain to split.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

I enjoy this Elie Mystal fellow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJHJUGU9DYY&t=71s

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The wife wants a bamboo fence if we ever get a house. Years I've been trying to tell her it won't stay a fence and it won't ever go away we had a patch of that stuff in the neighborhood growing up and it didn't stay a patch. As much of a gigantic pain in the dick as that stuff is if we ever get a place I'll deal with the periodic mini-arguments. Will suck a whole lot less.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

suffer not the stalk to live

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Current event: I took another look at how much a new graphics card costs and I guess my 1080TI is still fine.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

mlmp08 posted:

Current event: I took another look at how much a new graphics card costs and I guess my 1080TI is still fine.

:same:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#variant-proportions

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1473068647342125056

https://twitter.com/aetiology/status/1473071268190724097

But anyways,

BIDEN CAT

https://twitter.com/KateBennett_DC/status/1473071916638425097

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 21, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

bird food bathtub posted:

The wife wants a bamboo fence if we ever get a house. Years I've been trying to tell her it won't stay a fence and it won't ever go away we had a patch of that stuff in the neighborhood growing up and it didn't stay a patch. As much of a gigantic pain in the dick as that stuff is if we ever get a place I'll deal with the periodic mini-arguments. Will suck a whole lot less.

The third most common reason I rent out stump grinders is to get rid of bamboo balls. And maybe 1 out of every 8 times I do, they have to come back and swap for an excavator because the root ball is too big.

You either regret planting it as you do a poo poo ton of work to get rid of it, or you sell the house and move. That's how bamboo planting goes.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Also something very weird is going on with Donnie and he's gonna get hilariously primaried from the right now:

https://twitter.com/NewsNationNow/status/1473077583327731718

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1473078444246372353

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

In a lot of cases it’s better to gut a premade.

I’ve got a 2070 super through a friend. Then I sold my 1060 6gb for $300 on eBay, more than I bought it for in 2016. It’s stupid.