Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i also got a giant jar of pepperoncinis and that was such a good idea. solid recommendation; been eating them all day.

This is the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
just makes me want a giant oily sandwich with shredded lettuce on it.

so that's the next quest for me and Niles Krang: we are doing grinders.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

had a gyro that was roughly half cucumber and i'd like to state that they're the worst vegetable unless submerged in vinegar and salt

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

made some baguettes

nice!

I'm having no luck finding a local bakery that supplies a hoagie roll suitable for my sandwich quest so I'm making my own. I'm willing to fail.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

nice!

I'm having no luck finding a local bakery that supplies a hoagie roll suitable for my sandwich quest so I'm making my own. I'm willing to fail.

i'm swimming in bolillos

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

nice!

They're kind of pricey but the Seattle Sourdough brand of hoagie rolls are pretty good.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

need to spend more time shaping and get a better/sharper tool to slash the tops. super pleased with the crumb.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
^^ looking good!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

nice!

make NOLA french bread, it is the king of sandwich breads.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is giving me horrific anxiety lmao

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1471933218064678920

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Roll with mayo then layered with capicollo and soppresseta and turkey then topped with provolone and toasted.

Finished with diced pepperoncinis, shredded lettuce, and sliced tomatoes.

the crust needs to be crunchier for this kind of sandwich so I hope an egg wash will help next time

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that almost looks like schlotzky's bread, good job

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

salt your tomatos and wrap your sub up after you make it

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

^^ looking good!

make NOLA french bread, it is the king of sandwich breads.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/nola-style-french-bread-rolls-recipe

this looks very easy and reasonable so I will try it next.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

dang this NOLA French bread recipe is the truth. i didn't even do an egg wash and the crust is super crunchy and cracks when I bite into the sandwich just like I wanted.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Roll with mayo then layered with capicollo and soppresseta and turkey then topped with provolone and toasted.

Finished with diced pepperoncinis, shredded lettuce, and sliced tomatoes.

the crust needs to be crunchier for this kind of sandwich so I hope an egg wash will help next time

God drat that looks good

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast
I think I’ve posted it before but winter squash rule and nobody eats them. remove the seeds slice 3/8 inch, oil, salt, paprika and a little sugar (if you didn’t get them from a good known farmer) roast at 425 for thirty flipping once.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

IAMKOREA posted:

This is the way

new question: what happens if I pound out some flayed chicken breasts and then soak them in pepperoncini brine before breading and deep frying them? is that a terrible idea?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

dang this NOLA French bread recipe is the truth. i didn't even do an egg wash and the crust is super crunchy and cracks when I bite into the sandwich just like I wanted.

:hfive:

yeah, that's the recipe I use, too.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

new question: what happens if I pound out some flayed chicken breasts and then soak them in pepperoncini brine before breading and deep frying them? is that a terrible idea?

my brother's secret to killer fried chicken is brining it first in pickle juice, so why not.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Now combine it with this

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I think I’ve posted it before but winter squash rule and nobody eats them. remove the seeds slice 3/8 inch, oil, salt, paprika and a little sugar (if you didn’t get them from a good known farmer) roast at 425 for thirty flipping once.

To make this:

https://thetakeout.com/kabocha-squash-japanese-pumpkin-sandwich-1847946784

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I have this problem lately where I watch videos of charismatic dude bros cooking GIANT meals in GIANT pots using HUGE outdoor propane burners and on the one hand I want to live that life but on the other hand I do not have an army to feed.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Sounds pretty good, you could throw some other aromatics and spices in too like some smashed up garlic and bay leaf

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I have this problem lately where I watch videos of charismatic dude bros cooking GIANT meals in GIANT pots using HUGE outdoor propane burners and on the one hand I want to live that life but on the other hand I do not have an army to feed.

https://twitch.tv/fire_kitchen

this norwegian goony weirdo is 24/7. zero charisma tho

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

i don't understand how it's "live" but also has tons of cuts to different shots.

also this is ASMR poo poo isn't it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's just episodes strung together. there are other more bootleg twitch channels like one that ran for a couple years like an anthony bourdain channel, but it got banned a few months ago

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

u could go hands out some meals to homeless people on the street

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

u could go hands out some meals to homeless people on the street

i thought about that and then I realized I don't know how to talk to people anymore and I would gently caress it up.

or get arrested for breaking some kind of food laws

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast
get a chest freezer and portion out.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'm probably in the privileged minority but I loving hate reheating frozen food. I'd rather just eat what I make.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast
somethings are better frozen and then reheated. chili with beans is a good example.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'm probably in the privileged minority but I loving hate reheating frozen food. I'd rather just eat what I make.

the trick is to have a quartz-infrared toaster oven like the panasonic flashxpress and not use a lovely microwave which just makes them taste like mushy soggy microwave food. i found almost all microwaved food has that same offputting heated water-molecule taste.

but yea i dont really freeze leftovers, i just puit em in the fridge and eat em for the next 5 days

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

like even when I reheat stuff from the fridge I do it in the oven typically unless it's a soup.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

just made harira for the first time using this recipe:

https://tasteofmaroc.com/moroccan-harira-soup-recipe/

and it's p good. looking for other ways to have complex carb soups that aren't full of pork and fat if anyone's got any

(also, any way i can use these 3 cans of black eyed peas i bought accidentally is a huge plus)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

did you use fresh or canned tomatoes? this looks good.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

one of my favorite food quality/labor ratios comes from sauce bolognese frozen in single serving containers

put a quart of salted water on the boil, put the frozen sauce in the microwave on full for 2.5 minutes, then turn the half thawed mess into a pan on the stovetop and toss some angel hair pasta in the water

grate some cheese

pasta is done in 4 minutes, by which time the sauce is bubbling in the pan, so toss it in there, toss in the cheese, and that's a good lunch in less than 10 minutes

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

yeah that's a good tactic however it also requires you to set aside the time to make the bolognese which takes most of a day sitting on your couch playing video games and posting.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

i say swears online posted:

why does everything I'm making today have nutmeg in it

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

did you use fresh or canned tomatoes? this looks good.

fresh. i'd up the cinammon a bit because its a pitiful amount for the amount of soup you make. same with the lentils and rice (i ended up with like 8 full bowls of it)

edit: i also got some large chunks of stew meat, but i'd probably go for ground beef next time just to get more uniformity and a little bit of extra fat (some recipes called for ground, while this one had stew)

Business Gorillas has issued a correction as of 00:15 on Dec 21, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Business Gorillas posted:

(also, any way i can use these 3 cans of black eyed peas i bought accidentally is a huge plus)
i would make some ethiopian black eyed pea stew. berberre is a must though, and i would probably increase it to 3 tsp but i love berberre and also i find most online recipes to be underspiced in general and usually increase them all by at least 50%. i forgot which recipe i used but something similar to this https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/black-eyed-peas-coconut-milk-and-ethiopian-spices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

speaking of toaster ovens, this beast is on super-sale righ tnow, it's my big kitchen purchase of the year and i can shoehorn it in as a sorta-gift to my roommate

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K0W8LTE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1