Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
I’ve setup a game board with a bunch of div objects and have some dice roll buttons/functions, but now I am trying to figure out the best way to instantiate a player game piece that ties both to the outcome of the dice roll and it’s placement relative to a game space div. after that I’ll need to figure how to trigger the respective game space’s action/question/whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Typical you'll resolve this with some abstraction.

Rather than directly manipulating the HTML to achieve your moves, you'll have a model of the game state that is in a convenient form for your game actions to manipulate, and a presentation layer that takes that model and displays it to the user.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I am studying a coursera about linux and it is mentioned that the following order

code:
$ sudo /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up 192.168.1.100
will bring a network connection up and assign an IP.

I know almost nothing about network stuff, to the point where I don't know what "to bring up a connection" implies. Any primers on very basic network stuff?

THanks!

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

For the best, shortest answer to that question, I would watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2SpN-OePzc

This guy works for a company called cbtnuggets (lmao) and he has a great video series on it that is intended for studying for your CCNA Routing and Switching, which also necessitates a full understanding of your question. It's where I would get started.

If you have any specific followup questions I'm happy to try and field them, but otherwise I'm afraid I can't answer without posting like 200 paragraphs of stuff.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Or to give a much more bare bones and incomplete explanation: It's the process of going from the driver acknowledging that you have a network card, to that network card being configured with an IP address and the system knowing what traffic to use it for.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Thanks for both answers! They are useful in different ways.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Does anyone have experience with/access to docs on JavaScript Rhino? The jdocs are available, but information about it seems to have been removed from MDN. I can find pages with Wayback, but all of the links are dead, and SO answers generally point to the MDN documentation. To make this worse, the application I'm writing a macro for requires an older version of Rhino, which itself is based on an older version of JavaScript. No access to forEach() or arrow functions. Yay Java iterators and for loops.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Any goons doing Advent of Code? Is there a thread?

I managed half of the puzzles last year. Since then I did a coding bootcamp and got a job. Hoping I’ll write better code this time!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I can't find another general question thread in SH/SC so I'll just throw this out there. Are there any decent (hopefully free) computing/programming documentaries out there? I saw a couple over the past few days and they were ok I guess. Just on the history of computers. One from the 90s Modern Marvels History Channel show. I used to be super into computers when I was a kid. Like, that was my thing. That was all I ever did and wanted to do (when I was able to feel happiness and joy and it's been a long time since I felt that) so I'd like to delve back into the wide area of things now that I'm back in school for software development for the third time. I just want to learn more and maybe give myself some motivation and most of all maybe start a spark that gets me into really liking and getting excited about tech again.

Any ideas? If this isn't the place for it then just let me know. Thanks!

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I don't know if it's what you're after but the AlphaGo documentary was pretty good

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's sort of similar to what I was looking for. I watched a documentary about the first computer to beat a world champion chess player. I wanna say it was Deep Blue. My IBM i Systems Concepts instructor recommended it to us at the beginning of the semester to just give us some history on IBM computing. I'm almost definitely the only person who watched it. That's actually what got me interested in these docs.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That's sort of similar to what I was looking for. I watched a documentary about the first computer to beat a world champion chess player. I wanna say it was Deep Blue. My IBM i Systems Concepts instructor recommended it to us at the beginning of the semester to just give us some history on IBM computing. I'm almost definitely the only person who watched it. That's actually what got me interested in these docs.

"The Computer Chronicles" isn't exactly what you're asking for, because it was a news/advert show showing contemporary things. But all episodes are available and it's rad as hell.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

leper khan posted:

"The Computer Chronicles" isn't exactly what you're asking for, because it was a news/advert show showing contemporary things. But all episodes are available and it's rad as hell.

I'll certainly check that out. Looks like a lot of it is about breakthrough 90s tech lol.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'll certainly check that out. Looks like a lot of it is about breakthrough 90s tech lol.
It was co-hosted by Gary Kildall, who invented CP/M and founded Digital Research, and if a meeting with IBM had gone differently, everyone would've been using CP/M instead of MS-DOS and Bill Gates might be just another face in the crowd.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

killerwhat posted:

Any goons doing Advent of Code? Is there a thread?

I managed half of the puzzles last year. Since then I did a coding bootcamp and got a job. Hoping I’ll write better code this time!

I am! The puzzles get released at 6AM where I live so I've been trying to complete them before going to work. I've managed all puzzles so far but the digital number segments took me a couple of hours. How's the it going for you?

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

I’ve only done the first day :blush: I wanted to practise Java, which I don’t like much. But if I switch to (lovely, terse, clean) Ruby I might like Java even less lol

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Is it uncouth or rude or frowned upon to fork a project if the developer refuses basic changes they don't apparently understand?

I can elaborate or even go so far as to name and shame. I've been ghosted on the discussion for five days now.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

No. Fork away.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Ranzear posted:

Is it uncouth or rude or frowned upon to fork a project if the developer refuses basic changes they don't apparently understand?

I can elaborate or even go so far as to name and shame. I've been ghosted on the discussion for five days now.

Only if the license terms aren't permissive.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

It's MIT licensed. I fully expect a lack of understanding of how that works as well.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Ranzear posted:

It's MIT licensed. I fully expect a lack of understanding of how that works as well.

Fork it and become the standard implementation by being an easier person to talk/deal with IMO

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

They're decent to talk to, but they don't know when they're outside their usual territory or dealing with someone who might know more or better than them.

I just really wanted to develop games instead of develop the engine. Rust is still in need of a decent one, and it turns out that the FOSS coders who actually want to develop game engines never actually try developing any games on those engines to find out what a useless clusterfuck they've created. I'd figure the feedback is just too narrow-banded to cover actual use and being able to render a static object in several examples is a game engine, right?

There's a point where you realize they're throwing buzzwords like 'code smell' and 'antipattern' at you but clearly don't understand the difference between concurrency and parallelism and probably do think they wrote threads instead of just closures. I'm not gonna name and shame, and I'll definitely also not suggest that the discussion might be found on github where I happen to use the same name.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

That sounds like Rust embedded too! It becomes obvious the creators of various HALs etc have never tried using them on a device.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Ranzear posted:

It's ok and I would say encouraged to fork if the maintainer is uninterested in merging your changes, and if the license allows for your publishing that fork then go for it. The issue or PR you opened will steer others your way.

Your speculation about the reason for the maintainer's disinterest seems completely irrelevant, and five days does not strike me as a long time for a reply from a volunteer maintainer. Though you don't have to wait for them, of course.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the main thing I would say is that five days is an awfully short period of time in open-source terms.

Just don’t call it a fork. You’re “downstream” of the canonical project, and you’d like to upstream any work that they’ll accept, but meanwhile you have a bunch of work that you need to do and can’t afford to wait on upstream review on all of it.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Fine, it's in motion. I understand his code well enough to make it do what I want now so I might as well extend that to the community. This was all kinda prompted by finding that he expected the rendering context to have full ownership of all mutable things which is, to put it gently, hilariously unviable.

Judge for yourselves then. Five days was from going dark on it after being dismissive, not since proposal: https://github.com/asny/three-d/pull/165

It's the 'try one last time to convince you' line followed by absolute nonsensical garbage and not responding at all to refutation that pushed me to this. Talking to him about per-instance texture transforms went great and those got hammered out in two days tops. This slightly more pressing need to restructure a bit so things outside of the main rendering callback could interact with rendered things just got me talked down to without comprehending.

I didn't think there was any particular reason I couldn't do it, I just wanted to think it over a bit more no matter how much spite tends to be my best motivator.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Just build your thing. Don't let a maintainer slow you down, and don't post things on hold until a merge that may never happen. Don't put in too much effort debating them.

The nice thing about contributing to OSS, your own projects etc, is that you're only beholden to others if you want. Don't think of your desired functionality etc as something that might happen in the future; make it happen yourself.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Edit: sorry, wrong thread

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 17, 2021

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

Ranzear posted:

Fine, it's in motion. I understand his code well enough to make it do what I want now so I might as well extend that to the community. This was all kinda prompted by finding that he expected the rendering context to have full ownership of all mutable things which is, to put it gently, hilariously unviable.

Judge for yourselves then. Five days was from going dark on it after being dismissive, not since proposal: https://github.com/asny/three-d/pull/165

It's the 'try one last time to convince you' line followed by absolute nonsensical garbage and not responding at all to refutation that pushed me to this. Talking to him about per-instance texture transforms went great and those got hammered out in two days tops. This slightly more pressing need to restructure a bit so things outside of the main rendering callback could interact with rendered things just got me talked down to without comprehending.

I didn't think there was any particular reason I couldn't do it, I just wanted to think it over a bit more no matter how much spite tends to be my best motivator.

fwiw, technical arguments aside I think his response is a good one and worth keeping in mind when dealing with any code maintainer:

quote:

First of all, please give me a few days to respond before you jump to conclusions. I do this project for fun in my spare time and I seriously don't have much spare time, so please keep that in mind when you make requests for my time. I'll be happy to help as long as I also have fun and right now I'm not finding this conversation particularly amusing, I would rather spend my time on graphics stuff. That said, I think you have some good points and I appreciate the effort, I'm more than open to suggestions, just don't expect to convince me about a fundamental thing as this in a short time.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

take boat posted:

fwiw, technical arguments aside

If his technical arguments weren't absolute horseshit I would agree with you. He was pushing other changes and talking to me on twitter just fine. It's only once I closed the issue and stopped bothering that he took on this "oh poor me, just a spare time dev with a donation link spamming my project on every gamedev related rust listing" garbage.

90% of the code is autogenerated by the gl_generator crate, the rest is dodgy as gently caress as witnessed in the horrors thread. Since then I've come to understand it's not even worth fixing.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Ranzear posted:

If his technical arguments weren't absolute horseshit I would agree with you. He was pushing other changes and talking to me on twitter just fine. It's only once I closed the issue and stopped bothering that he took on this "oh poor me, just a spare time dev with a donation link spamming my project on every gamedev related rust listing" garbage.

90% of the code is autogenerated by the gl_generator crate, the rest is dodgy as gently caress as witnessed in the horrors thread. Since then I've come to understand it's not even worth fixing.

people don't have to drop everything else they're working on to appease you, the world doesn't revolve around you

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

At least y'all are way more efficient than him in illustrating how little of my proposal you understood even assuming you read it.

Cherry on top is it's still basic birch rust to know how Rc works but he suddenly "doesn't want to discuss". I was willing to teach and do the whole refactor, but the why and how went completely over his head.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Ranzear posted:

At least y'all are way more efficient than him in illustrating how little of my proposal you understood even assuming you read it.

Cherry on top is it's still basic birch rust to know how Rc works but he suddenly "doesn't want to discuss". I was willing to teach and do the whole refactor, but the why and how went completely over his head.

No one owes you anything. Sorry you're just now discovering this.

You'll learn to deal with it in time.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Ranzear posted:

Looks like being a dick has not paid off for you in this instance. Maybe ponder why literally every poster here is telling you that you're doing it wrong.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

Ranzear posted:

the reason ITT we aren’t addressing the proposal is because you’re acting aggressive and rude when people don’t agree with you. you might not realize it, but that’s how it comes across and people will not want to engage. you’re going to have a hard time getting PR approvals by arguing code owners into it

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

leper khan posted:

Fork it and become the standard implementation by being an easier person to talk/deal with IMO

Reading the comments above just made me lol at this post.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Ranzear posted:

I read your PR and thought you were being a dick for no reason. Now I'm reading your posts and realizing that's just the person you are!!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

mmkay posted:

Reading the comments above just made me lol at this post.

Yeah I had made some assumptions that probably don't hold up.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Oh, I'm absolutely being a smug dickhead about it at this point after getting deeper into that whole crate of worms. If I was wrong about anything besides open source politics and politeness, I'd actually like to hear about it.

Just the same, it's not my business to fix someone's poo poo if they don't want it fixed, even when I give them the complete implementation in working order up front. As leper khan covered: I don't owe him anything either. I closed my issue and moved on and I'm sorry if that hurt his feelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
If you want to work with people, it is literally part of your job to not be a complete jerk to them. Life does not come with the clean lines between the technical and the social that you so badly want to believe in.

If you don’t want to work with people, go off and be a lone genius already and stop pretending you’re contributing to their projects.