Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

posting to say my vote pushed it to 69% :nice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The best way to make it back safe is to hug the wall of the mountain. Knowing they're within the reach of the valley is enough for the last push to be possible. Creaking legs carry them quickly into the mercy of the quiet Rivergreen, buried in pastel shadows.

They stay low, dragging the shield high to stop it from scraping against the ground. Hugging into the mountains feels safe, but at the same time there's a nagging trepidation about it. The trees grow thin and dense close to the sheer mountain stone, evergreen patterns spidering out through the abrupt stone. They keep the pace when they turn the bend, and that's when...

(DX - Stealth) 11 [2]+[5]+[3] = 10 - Success.

The wind is stopped. They can see it now; static color crawling over the leaves. The air isn't filtering the light right, leaving afterimage patterns for too long. They lean down and crawl through the brush for a while, waiting when their wounded skin goes clammy from the air pressure shifting. The shadows aren't right. Too chroma. They hue and liquefy, shifting through one another and over the gray-green static surfaces. Often there's a sudden pause to the momentum, the colored shadows casting bizarre mirages, photo negatives flickering in and out of unreliable sight.

They're not going to focus on them for too long. They're... colourforms, and they would notice and start to bleed shades out of their thoughts. They feel they remember, as they gently hold their breath, that Paprika Blue had said something before in warning. They just have to have one last patience to make it through. This is for the best, really. It'll make it much less likely to run into her on return.

Once the unhallowed storm of colorful recalls fade away, they shuffle out and make their way south again, picking up the pace as best they can. Every muscle is weak, the lungs fighting to expand after the easysoft of sledding down the salt. Now it's the carry of the immense backweight along with sword and shield to the homegoal. A mile is breached before the shadows start to hue again. They heave air, and stealth down to walk quiet in prayer.

(DX - Stealth) 11 [3]+[2]+[1] = 6 - Success!

The shroud... a little hunch, angle, and shuffle allows them to stoop-walk right through the storm, looking like a flickering shadow flowing over the ground. They move in and out of the brush, across darkened stone walls, sometimes under gnarled housing trees. Then, the gate is mantled, and they're simply out. The sound of river, the wind through green, and past treeline is sight of the climb to the mural hills. They relax, the shield clanging dull against wood as it's slung low, the sword dragging on the leaves with stonecut. The shroud drags behind them in flutter around the heavy cargo, the worn suit camouflage in the forest gray.

They stand at the bottom of the hill, and look to the clouded sky. Their body, half-dying, has miles to go before it sleeps. Sanctuary in the Pluto Tower isn't enough. They need to be back... and they need to know. How then? Organ failure was demanding it be allowed to happen. The climb will be so slow. The descent will take so long with the need of stealth. Night might even come. But the body will collapse, they'll lose cohesion, long before then. They know they don't have a choice. They have to pray, for the right of a to exist. Just one miracle.

(HT - Endure) 8 [1]+[2]+[1] = 4 - Critical Success!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my goodness. This will be interesting!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Hmmm, I wonder what exactly their drawing of themself is supposed to represent? Some kind of happy feeling it seems? And their "hands are getting better"? Were they injured? Do they mean better at doing things like writing and drawing?

Also that drawing of Kwiat is :kimchi:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

taiyoko posted:

Hmmm, I wonder what exactly their drawing of themself is supposed to represent? Some kind of happy feeling it seems? And their "hands are getting better"? Were they injured? Do they mean better at doing things like writing and drawing?

Also that drawing of Kwiat is :kimchi:

I think the third drawing was added later. It looks better drawn and it has a different color. Probably the hand injury was from when they were jamming their hands in a drawer because of... I'll have to go back and reread that part.

Edit: Might have been in the Probated Posting. All I could find was post recovery obsession with the drawer. Now much more confident that it was due to lingering anxiety about how many people their hands had killed.

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 19, 2021

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
Man. Why is Kwiat a chicken in that drawing. Holy End Kwiat was named Lasers, wasn't it?

That can't have been drawn by Holy End us... Then again we didn't know the Miner as a kid in that timeline, our first contact with her was in the ship as the bandager AFAIK. I posted this same thing back then when we got the Wraith Rose and I still have no idea where or how this kid drawing this stuff fits in the timeline.

Either that's Dark End us gone through some weird reincarnation stuff... Or we encounter a child down the line... Or there's a third timeline/game in there somewhere. I have no idea.

Welp, I suppose it will get explained in due time.

Grond fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 20, 2021

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean... maybe it's Hell End and the big reveal is that the real world is the Hell End all along. Dun dun duuuuuuuuuun.

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
That'd explain a lot of things that have happened these last few years let me tell ya :v:

Grond fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 20, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
this has always been my conceptualization of "tyrant child" and as such the childlike drawings make perfect sense.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

[Great! A critical was rolled for some kind of health check, and now the menu is back. The character looks like they survived death, and the critical has given them just enough second wind to stabilize and get back to the Hideout. No sense in delaying; by passing up the right side, only one tile of Paprika's territory has to be crossed before being safe in dense forest. Then it's on to the narrows; three tiles for west access, four tiles for the faster east access.]

[The trick here is to take the four tiles to east, and then loop around back to west at the one-tile cross. It helps confuse and throw off encounters that lead on by scent and trail; it works, and reaching the boat takes no time and has no events strike. But with this many penalties, is boating even possible?]

(DX - Boating) 11 [1]+[4]+[1] = 6 - Success!

[Wow. A beeline straight back with no problems. The waters are uneasy, but navigated without being noticed. There's no time to slow and look longing at the Camp's shore.]

[They'll be furious, soon. What a holy fortune to make it back to the Hideout before it even begins. The boat touches shore, and a host of health/sleep/food warnings pop up. Being close to the Hideout had a lot of special psychological effects, though none of them are visible. The menu is back, but a lot of it is blanked or not working reliably. Sleeping should fix a lot of the issues it's having; even without provoking the code, the game was already unreliable enough that menu problems and sleep-resets were just normal gameplay. It's just especially uncomfortable during a onerun that's so casually walked up against provocations that should have hardlock killed it a dozen times over.]

[It's alright though, isn't it? The real run has finally begun. The map for the Hideout is loading, and it allows time to think over the Blue Book and its thoughts on the coming paths. Bleeder is dead. The Lords will know. They won't know how until Hider's prophecy manages to forsee something, and then it's all over. But Bleeder was the messenger, and with him gone, a vital fracture is placed onto the other six Lords.]

[Tyranny is going to grow, finally. Vehemence is an incredible power when aspected right, suited to either enhance a build focus or redirected to become a costly but powerful emergency button. Nevermind that the enslaved Vampire Parasite could cover a base already with its similar blood-for-power options. What an amazing first slay. Low level victories are an unbeatable rush, and taking out Bleeder at only 7 means that there's sure to be a great nudge of luck for loot and powers in the next arc. Is it safe to try to grow stronger? Or is the hidden magic of the low-level war the better choice?]

[Either way, one Level to spend and still not even double-digits. The psychic powers will also grow stronger and develop randomly. Hopefully the Silver Mind's burnout will heal with some sleep. Miracle again that Anxiety and Disquiet didn't end up killing the attempt, and didn't even breach 100%.]

[Going to need a lot of resources now... and the world is only going to become more hostile. Need to secure food, items, powers. The character already has an excellent toolkit to see through another Megalith and change, but there wasn't nothing that couldn't be put up for an exchange, enhancement, or fusion.]

[...]

[This is putting off the inevitable. There's no stopping to see the skateboard. No check on any intruders. No time or spare. The room. Her. Have to know. But doesn't the time clock say it's been weeks? Yes, she can often survive for incredible lengths of time. But it's been so long, and...]

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
feed chicken!!!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
She's alive!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Hell Yeah!
and
Heaven Yeah!
also
Dark Yeah!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh good, Kwait is alive. Wait... didn't Disquiet and Anxiety pass 100% during the... eh, prolly not important.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
It is time to feed that chicken and give her a roomba throne!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Congratulations! You've survived the conquest of your First Megalith. Because you did that and made it back to the Hideout alive, you can grow in intent and reach the second class level, ADEPT. This includes the Tyrant power of Vehemence, and the Psychic power of β, both of which will have a vote for what form they take from the choices outlined below.

VEHEMENCE posted:

The Adept Tyrant power is Vehemence, a dark art that allows them to burn blood in order to increase their abilities for a single roll/action. All Tyrants can do this by instinct, but experienced ones can use it at their command and with enormous power wrenched out of the royal blood. This makes it a reflexive power, that can often be used even after a roll is made.

When first learning Vehemence, a Tyrant must decide what endarkened element their blood will empower them with; fire for ST and damage; wind for DX, to-hit, and Defense; water for IQ and magic powers; or earth for HT, DR, and FP. Further class levels will make Vehemence stronger, or allow more things to be empowered. At base level, the HP costs are:

ST: 1 HP = +2 ST (Not for damage, but feats of strength)
Damage: 1 HP = +2 Damage

DX: 2 HP = +1 DX
To-Hit: 2 HP = +1 To-Hit
Defense: 2 HP = -1 Defense

IQ: 4 HP = +1 IQ
Magic: Varies

HT: 2 HP = +1 HT
FP: 1 HP = +3 FP
DR: 1 HP = +2 DR

At base level, Vehemence doesn't allow more than Max HP to be spent at once for a boost. So if you take Vehemence aspected to Fire, and you have 21 HP, then you can only spend 21 HP at once for a +42 boost to a damage roll.

The Vampire-Parasite corruption has a potential synergy with Vehemence; the parasite is able to convert HP into ST or damage, which stacks with Vehemence that can boost ST and damage. However, this does require giving into the parasite and its downsides when used.

Your intent lenses through the element-colour of...

PSI posted:

Even a psionic art with the prestige and control of the Silver Mind is not immune to the essential nature of the psychic; mutation and the unique colors of the inner emotion. Despite abuse of the Silver Mind, your neurons have flourished wildly with the love of awful experience and the mushrooms soaking your skull. PSI ESP is now β level, and you can learn the ɑ level of a PSI ability stemming from your psychic experiences.

PSI Colloidal Biology (chemically-bizarre purity healing)
PSI Mirror (semi-random enemy mimic)
PSI Clouding (hide in plain sight)
Feelin' Funky (psychadelic spores induce hallucinating + random status effects in all)
PK Beam (the Starmetal System's deadly psychokinetic beam)

You realize the power of...

Although you have one Level, you can't spend it until you next meet up with Smiercia...

Voting will end in the AM.

Stage Beans
May 16, 2007

-ZEN- [Hell End] \NEW FUNKY MODE|

Da_Boyz
Jul 4, 2021
In retrospect it's kinda odd that we only got one level from Bleeder when we know that it's possible to gain multiple levels if the opponent is strong enough. Maybe it's a Lord thing, where you always get enough XP to reach the next level.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Voted for IQ and Clouding, we seem to do best when we focus on actually surviving (or being complete idiots).

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

While the Suitifier can be used again, it'll be a little bit and a few more small adventures before it's opened for use. Of your current items, the following could be converted into a suit; keep it in mind for when it does become an option.

★ Solar Veil
★ Moloch Buster [Sealed]
★ Oilstained Shield
★ The 12th Palette
★ Bloodstained Gold
★ Coffee Plant
★ Neatfreak

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Dare we turn to moloch buster into a suit?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I went with IQ and clouding as well, since you're less likely to get hurt if the enemy never knows you are there, and because IQ is kind of a weak spot that could use something to help shore it up, especially since both magic and psychic powers often key off it. If nothing else, to make it more likely that we succeed at Cheeseburger Magics.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Went Colloidal/Yellow Earth here. More healing is good, and earth letting us recover FP means even more of it.
Plus, it sounds like if we get thwacked with a a real hard hit we might be able to burn some HP to get out of it.
S'good synergy, imo

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

I went with IQ and mirror - stealth is useful sometimes but we know we're going to have to fight against enemies with powerful attacks, if we can use that against them and protect ourselves that's a huge plus imo

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
The Lord strats post said that assassinations work well against a number of Lords, most notably Hunter, so I think that would be a feasible option.

That said I still voted for PK Beam and IQ because... well it's a giant fuckoff laser beam. Don't judge me.

Grond fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 21, 2021

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I went DEX and Clouding. Like IQ, DEX is a serious weak spot of ours and comes up a lot in important rolls, and we know there are foes out there like Hider which are almost impossible to hit normally.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

To clarify, with another class level, Vehemence will get an upgrade where you can either pick another attribute to be able to enhance, or you can upgrade the existing one to give even more of a bonus for the HP spent.

Not mentioned last post, but Dark Wave has been upgraded as well; it can now hit targets at any distance (Far). Tyrant class powers are partly unique in that they all grow stronger with the more class levels achieved.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
we tend to use both hands for our sword, right? it might make sense to use the suitifyer on the shield

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ST 20 is enough to one-hand the sword for nearly everything. The issue is the game code limit of one relic at a time to start; you haven't yet found or earned things like the upgrades for extra relic slots or perma-equipping a relic.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Black August posted:

ST 20 is enough to one-hand the sword for nearly everything. The issue is the game code limit of one relic at a time to start; you haven't yet found or earned things like the upgrades for extra relic slots or perma-equipping a relic.

ah, cheers

Rubix Squid posted:

Dare we turn to moloch buster into a suit?

also this has been clarified, at the moment that would only produce a locked suit. we'd need to unlock it before applying the suitifyer if we wanted to go down that route.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

CoolCab posted:

also this has been clarified, at the moment that would only produce a locked suit. we'd need to unlock it before applying the suitifyer if we wanted to go down that route.

Ah. I forgot that. Then let's get in that shield-suit action.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I think choosing IQ for the first option is the only must-have, because it'll help cover for our bad psychic stats.

A lot of the second options could be good, I picked Feelin' Funky though.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Psychic powers are mostly based off perception and willpower. IQ is useful for magic (including cheeseburger magicks and bubbleblood) and understanding complicated situations.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Misunderstood the vehemence vote, whoops.

That said, I think that Clouding is good. Stealth is never not useful IMO.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Power.

The Color of Vehemence
Fire's Strong Red - 3
Air's Swift Green - 6
Water's Serene Blue - 11
Earth's Solid Yellow - 5

You realize the power of...
Colloidal Biology - 2
Mirror - 5
Clouding - 10
Feelin' Funky - 8
PK Beam - 5

...LOADING

Sheet will be updated throughout the day.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I voted for Earth, because yeah, turning HP into FP is fantastic.

I voted for Feelin Funky for 3 reasons:
Like the clouding, it can be used to escape danger.
We’ve been lucky in that most of our threats have been powerful individuals. But this sounds like an AOE thing and having something that can mitigate multiple threats/swarms would be really helpful.
But the biggest reason is that “random status effect” thing is a potentially a huge gamebreaker. This game seems to have a LOT of status effects, and I’d reckon that a good lot of them can do nasty work to things that would normally be way beyond us.

EDIT: Whoops! IQ and Clouding it is!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Producing a locked suit seems like a bad idea, I still want to give the 12th Palette to Paprika Blue sometime if possible, the Solar Veil is really good as it is and while a coffee suit would be interesting to see I think the coffee plant is best left alone.

So for me, the choice really comes down to the Oilstained Shield, the Bloodstained Gold, and the Neatfreak. The Shield is cursed, but so is the Gold, so kind of a tossup there. An extremely advanced techno-suit from the Neatfreak could be cool. I do want to give Kwiat a friend, though. I think I'm leaning towards Shield for now because we have a better idea of how that'd translate to a suit, but I'm open to arguments.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Agreed, the Neatfreak is for Kwiat to ride on, we can't make a suit out of it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
We could just hang on to the suitifier for a bit longer. Nothing at the moment really jumps out at me, unlike before when we had a bunch of excess trade goods.