Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

overwatch worked fine it's just that there was no incentive for people to review games so after the novelty wore off they just kind of stopped bothering, at which point the system had no throughput

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I feel like they should give you one game to review every couple games. Or like three to review after three games. It didn't feel like a treat, just that they were just thirsty for ML training input.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

ILL Machina posted:

I feel like they should give you one game to review every couple games. Or like three to review after three games. It didn't feel like a treat, just that they were just thirsty for ML training input.

They could've given free cosmetics or role queue tokens or anything really but I guess they only wanted ~the true believers~ to be reviewing games

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Minorkos posted:

They could've given free cosmetics or role queue tokens or anything really but I guess they only wanted ~the true believers~ to be reviewing games

When they gave skins in CSGO for overwatch, people started automatically voting guilty as soon as possible because it was the fastest way to get the free stuff.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

interrodactyl posted:

When they gave skins in CSGO for overwatch, people started automatically voting guilty as soon as possible because it was the fastest way to get the free stuff.

Figures. It'd require a bit of extra work to compare the submitted data and then only give hats to the people who are consistently correct. But even then the instant guilty verdict may just become the default answer, letting people who spam that become extremely rich in hats anyway. But fundamentally I think it is a bad idea to use players to review games. Even HoN (rip) had paid employees reviewing games

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 20, 2021

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Asking the Dota community to self-regulate was always gonna be a risk but it also seems weird to disable the case reviews while leaving the report buttons in - Maybe they just didn't realize the Battle Pass menu screen doesn't have a spot for the reviews to pop up?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I used to do the overwatch while I wait for lpq queues to pop they take forever

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That's why I just don't go to LPQ :smugdog:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

flashman posted:

I used to do the overwatch while I wait for lpq queues to pop they take forever

The inmates are running the asylum lol

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
LPQ is unironically better than sub 1k dota. They have more incentive to win and less autonomy in picks so it usually works out better

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The thing that I find dumb about reporting in this game is that you can only report people for not playing their role in role queue at the beginning of the game.

This pos5 picked WR, ok a somewhat unconventional pick for that role but she's got some utility so it really depends how she builds and plays.

5 minutes later the Spectre is screaming cause WR is fighting him for safelane farm and building core items, but whoops too late to report for not playing her role so instead she gets reported for griefing or something with a meaningless timestamp.

A lot of heroes straddle that gray area where they can be build for support or core so it's stupid to limit role reports to the very start of the game.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I would have done more overwatch if you could do it while queueing and not screw up both overwatch and potentially the queue if you got unlucky. I had it happen where the queue popped while watching so I couldn't pass judgment (it just went to a different case) and also once while it was loading my overwatch case my queue came and went without notification so I got a queue penalty.

All they need is some kind of "resume overwatch after match" feature and I'd be set.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't care what they do but we need a functioning report system. Even the pre-Overwatch system was better than nothing. Right now the only report you can make that affects behavior score is comm abuse.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

in my opinion the best system would be a scoring-based system where certain events are automatically detected and each of them add some naughty boy points

being afk adds 50 naughty points per minute
getting 3x player reports in a match is 500 naughty boy points
selling/destroying all your items is 1000 naughty boy points
having a 80% winrate as <booster hero> then suddenly picking trash carries and losing all your games because your booster got off the account is 2000 naughty boy points

and so on

then a valve employee looks at all the consistently most highest naughty point scoring players to confirm that indeed yes this man just destroyed his items for the 10th time in 2 weeks, time to hardware ban him for 3 months. this idea will also never happen because valve only employs engineers, analysts and other personnel who would roll their wheeled desks elsewhere if they were asked to perform repetitive computer janitor work. so instead we get half-wrought attempts at automation or pushing said manual labor onto the players instead

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 20, 2021

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I mean I don’t think there’s a lot of nuance to some of these situations. Is someone using gamer words in in game chat? Did they destroy all their items? Did they place 20 sentries in the fountain? Just throw a 6 hour at them and call it a day. You may need a computer janitor to understand the finer nuances of “is my mid intentionally feeding” but some poo poo is like “nope you’re just a babby”

It’s generally unpopular but id also love to see them finally add a concede option. Sure there are some games where a team throws away a huge insurmountable lead or someone throws the team on their back and 1v5s their way to a win, but for every game like that there’s way more where enough of the team has mentally quit and the in game experience has degraded to a point that it’s not worth sticking out the toxicity for the rest of the match and it would be better for all parties involved if you could just call it.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 20, 2021

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

causticBeet posted:

I mean I don’t think there’s a lot of nuance to some of these situations. Is someone using gamer words in in game chat? Did they destroy all their items? Did they place 20 sentries in the fountain? Just throw a 6 hour at them and call it a day. You may need a computer janitor to understand the finer nuances of “is my mid intentionally feeding” but some poo poo is like “nope you’re just a babby”

i think it'd be a bad idea to automate this poo poo completely because people are going to figure out the "triggers" for bans and start avoiding them, griefing in other ways instead. there could also be false positives like someone getting banned for destroying all their items for fun as the enemy ancient explodes. imo it'd be better that the judgment comes delayed and from a real person, but the ban isn't some slap on the wrist poo poo like "6 lpq games" but instead a proper several week/month ban from matchmaking altogether

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I guess you bring up the question "when is destroying items ok?" I thin that's pretty easy for a model to decide given a feature set of things like game time, NW discrepancy, time till end, whatever. Even still maybe this goes to a reviewer.

I liked judging my peers in overwatch, but most of the infractions I was willing to call guilty (rather than bad) seemed really repetitive and easy to detect. Ward buyouts, item destruction, running down mid, afking more than a minute without pause/discon, etc.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i thought overwatch was cool, but im a forum mod, so,

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Overwatch is a fine idea, definitely a lot better than auto-punishing people based on other people rage reporting them. It should have some kind of incentive to make sure people do it though, even if it's a small one.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Smythe posted:

i thought overwatch was cool, but im a forum mod, so,

hey now don’t call yourself a mod like that

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
when the hell did they nerf repel into oblivion

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

bawfuls posted:

The thing that I find dumb about reporting in this game is that you can only report people for not playing their role in role queue at the beginning of the game.

This pos5 picked WR, ok a somewhat unconventional pick for that role but she's got some utility so it really depends how she builds and plays.

5 minutes later the Spectre is screaming cause WR is fighting him for safelane farm and building core items, but whoops too late to report for not playing her role so instead she gets reported for griefing or something with a meaningless timestamp.

A lot of heroes straddle that gray area where they can be build for support or core so it's stupid to limit role reports to the very start of the game.

This has also always bugged me about role queue reports as well - One of the things that keeps Dota cool is that heroes can be played in multiple roles and sometimes a new role for a given hero becomes really popular, but there's no way to tell if the pos5 QoP on your team is an actual support player or just some rear end in a top hat who isn't going to buy a single ward on the way to the world's slowest linkens

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Smythe posted:

The inmates are running the asylum lol

I always think I can squeeze a turbo when there isn't enough time lol

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The funny thing about Turbo games is they don't end nearly as fast as they could because a lot of people seem to play them just to build 4-6 items on a hero they're bad at, so the game goes 30 minutes while people farm

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 21, 2021

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

bawfuls posted:

The funny thing about Turbo games is they don't end nearly as fast as they could because a lot of people seem to play them just to build 4-6 items on a hero they're bad at, so the game goes 30 minutes while people farm

Can confirm lmao, this is how I played turbo. Its like regular dota but i'm rich, bitch!!!

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

If you pick any hero that’s even slightly good at pushing you can solo end turbo games.

Deso AC lone druid will kill both T4s and the throne in like 15 seconds

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

Can confirm lmao, this is how I played turbo. Its like regular dota but i'm rich, bitch!!!

Exactly

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

the name turbo is for the shorter queue time

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah the boys are miserable at the last hit gsme so they love it... When I'm in the lpq they forced to play normal though

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

So many of the aghs lab bosses are absolutely miserable to play against as a melee hero, when you get the primal beast down to low enough hp there's barely any window between his attacks to actually hit the guy

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Wow some off these collectors cache voting sets are awesome, and I'm sue won't make it. The jakiro suit for ogre is fukkin awesome.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Geight posted:

So many of the aghs lab bosses are absolutely miserable to play against as a melee hero, when you get the primal beast down to low enough hp there's barely any window between his attacks to actually hit the guy

This has been true for every PvE event Valve has made. I have no idea why they keep dropping ursas and slarks and poo poo into these gamemodes only to be trap choices.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Undying and Omni in labyrinth are S-tier melee for sure, while Jugg Ursa and Void Spirit seem to be A-tier. Tusk is definitely usable too

in case anyone hasn't seen it, there's a leaderboard with builds and talents: https://stratz.com/aghanim/leaderboard?didWin=true&take=20&difficulty=GRANDMAGUS&seasonId=2

Grave Centipede
Apr 19, 2007
"But how can I put my lion's head in the lion's mouth? That act is ruined!"

emdash posted:

Undying and Omni in labyrinth are S-tier melee for sure, while Jugg Ursa and Void Spirit seem to be A-tier. Tusk is definitely usable too

in case anyone hasn't seen it, there's a leaderboard with builds and talents: https://stratz.com/aghanim/leaderboard?didWin=true&take=20&difficulty=GRANDMAGUS&seasonId=2

Yeah saw an omi just upgrade his w and basically was immune to everything. He Slowly solo'd the beast when we were all dead.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

The thing is that a couple of em are viable but none of them are like, fun

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it just me or is this dumb 'get 3 chests with battle points a week!' thing just a way to obfuscate getting less levels free so you need to buy levels to get the drow arcana lol

ILL Machina posted:

Wow some off these collectors cache voting sets are awesome, and I'm sue won't make it. The jakiro suit for ogre is fukkin awesome.

one of the ones that's entire completely identical to the default items on a hero or looks like 50000 piece of poo poo tacked on will definitely win instead.

The balance of 'different but not too much garbage' is hard to strike

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

ive been an economy hoe since the first paid TI compendium and i finally decided to not buy one

i kind of don't care about anime personas because they have to do with some anime but now those sad dota weebs are being asked to pay a million bucks for the drow arcana and ehh

i miss the days of 35 dollar arcanas you could buy if you wanted them. in some ways i wish valve would pay respect to the economy they built and in other ways i understand why they are giving the response they have

first they came for the weebs,
then

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

Is it just me or is this dumb 'get 3 chests with battle points a week!' thing just a way to obfuscate getting less levels free so you need to buy levels to get the drow arcana lol

I just immediately assumed it's either less levels or it just maths out to be the same levels as it was last BP, but either way it's kinda crummy and was also pretty buggy for the whole first week

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

bring back nohats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it feels like the big event boss not having true sight against a hero that can do damage while invis was an oversight.