Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

thats one of the places Sam Porter Bridges gets deliveries from in Death Stranding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

https://i.imgur.com/uVcc5Lk.mp4

from a reddit post titled Odette (Rai) Category 5 typhoon ravages a stadium in the Philippines

someday it's going to be my phone recording this stuff and that's pretty cool

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

right?

climate change is a series of cell phone videos that get closer to you until it's your phone shooting the footage, or whatever that adage is

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

err posted:

The Last of the Redmond Billionaires by Peter Watts

https://www.patreon.com/posts/new-decameron-37158539

Short read. Add to the OP.

I've been looking for this for months! Thank you!

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

right?

climate change is a series of cell phone videos that get closer to you until it's your phone shooting the footage, or whatever that adage is

didn't the OP who said this delete the post because it bothered him how many scientists and climate people were liking and sharing the post or something?? i forgot what it was, but i feel like something about it tripped him out pretty hard

i wonder why

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO7urf16Mvw this is the song from my avatar

if i see anyone else posting my special new NFT i'm gonna be so loving pissed because buying this got 500 pounds of trash out of the ocean, so in retaliation of anyone stealing my NFT i'm going to dump 500 pounds of trash into the ocean each time it happens, tyvm

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Oh poo poo is it really happening?
Get on out of your seats
Is it occurring for real?
[The most insanely raw guitar riff you've EVER heard causes your eardrums to rupture.] [You begin to weep.]

It's the return of The Big Post. As tradition demands this list is for a period no greater than a week only.
The below climate and biosphere collapse headlines are for the period: 12/12 to 12/17 of the current year.
No headlines have been omitted consequent to news saturation.
None are spared.

Water, water everywhere, and not a plastic-laden drop to drink; it's FLOODS and RAINS!
A dozen Iraqis loving dead from floods. Rest in peace!
Probably two dozen Filipinos loving dead from Typhoon Rai. Rest in peace!
Californians in Santa Cruz compare recent flooding to the visions of Hell contained in their dreams. Not that bad yet!
Washingtonians look for a path to normalcy following month old flooding. Normal will never return!
Kentuckians, defeated by the God of Wind, turn their demicidal sights on the God of Rain. It won't work!
Cyclone Carmel poses to this writer the question: what category should this be shunted into? This writer knows that the categories will be less and less discrete as we march into the eternal tombs and generally doesn't worry too much about.
Zimbambwens still picking up the pieces of their heart destroyed by Cyclone Adai two years ago. Let us hope they will only have the two year storm to mourn for the longest possible future.
Wildfire burn scars bring mud rivers to Orange County. Be careful what you wish for!
Tijuanan floods kill three (3) camp migrants. Descansen en paz!
Floods cause Spaniards to declare Disaster Zone. We encourage the use of their much cooler term, Catastrophe Zone!
They (the Spaniards) got 300% more rain recently. La ostia!
Torrential rains disrupt Gweruian with crumbling infrastructure.
On the 16th, Filipinos were evacuating Typhoon Odette. Please don't confuse with Typhoon Rai from above! Two typhoons they're getting hosed by 'em both.
In Brazil floods kill 10, displace 20,000. Milk carton futures soaring!
Spain flooding breaks banks in more ways than one. La ostia!
Cyclone Ruby brings heavy rains New Zealand. They seem okay with it, but a bit peeved!
Remembering their ancestors, Greeks receive a pounding (of rain! of rain!).
Bulgarians receive torrential rains. No word on beer impacts.

And I'll huff and I'll puff cause buddy I'm not living through the end of the world loving sober; it's WINDS and TORNADOES!
Midwesterners find little cause for celebration as they add one to the history books. The most hurricane force winds of any storm (derecho) since 2014!

https://twitter.com/extremetemps/status/1471491740754345991

High winds and hail in South Africa.
The derecho made it over most of the US's central corridor. Reports that three midwesterners unable to bring themselves to say "Howdy" to their neighbors. Situation grim.
Coloradan winds would've made the storm a CAT3. Coloradans say they will take what they can get.
Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas have their wildspreads spread by the strong winds. We were hoping they'd get blown out like candles.
Tornado says gently caress a hat trick here's a four-on-em. Unprecedented tornado track in terms of length. All four states agree the traveling was an obvious foul. No penalties called by refs.
If your house blows over take a page out of Kentuckians' books (just kidding, pick up a page off the ground, there's plenty) and burn it for warmth. Grim!
Thoughts and prayers to be sent to Wyoming for their rode closures following 118MPH winds. Wyomings respond that they "Can't complain," anthropologists baffled.

What have water and winds done for ME lately? gently caress it, it's DROUGHTS, HEATWAVES and FIRES!
Drought outlook for Iraqis? Grim!
Not better across the border, Iranians say "Oh gently caress. Well...gently caress."
Extreme heatwave grips Pilbara, Australia.
In Chile, school's [dr]ou[gh]t!
Brazilian coffee suggests its time to divest from beans, invest in Extreme Sports Energy.
Wild animals, wildfires, and widely no one care; 17 million animals loving die in Brazil.
Two people not in loving Kansas anymore following fire, drought, winds.

https://twitter.com/extremetemps/status/1471956840091197446

Many loving die or set to loving die in Kenya. Bummer!
It's too hot in Zimbabwe, in addition to being too wet and too windy. World leaders rush to look up "portent" in their Webster's Dictionaries.
Heat maybe bad for crops? Almost certainly. Good luck to the crops!?
Heatwaves can't stop, won't stop.
Warmest, driest December on record for Oklahoma.
Manitoban crops failing.
Amazonian recovery unlikely following droughts. Oops!
Dry summer in Argentina bad for... crops?! Again?!
Herders and farmers gear up to throw down over drought-stricken lands near Lake Chad.
Lake Tuz going Houdini (disappearing, dying prematurely).
Also sharing a border with Iraq, Syria joins the mix as victim of the humanitarian crisis looming in the drought stricken region (NE Syria, SW Iraq, SE Iran).
33% rain in Iran.

https://twitter.com/extremetemps/status/1470843327390130182

38C Siberian record confirmed (set last year).

https://twitter.com/extremetemps/status/1469993483104571394

Warmest December for Lower 48 (US) may come to pass. I'd love to come to pass myself!

https://twitter.com/extremetemps/status/1470062734712709123

Cowgirl battling back, drought it Botswana.
Ridiculously stupidly absurdly dumb hot in the Land of Oz.
Globe sets 4th warmest November record in 2021. Do better!

Wait where are you going? Come back! It's GLACIERS and PERMAFROST loss!
Mongolians worry about sinking permafrost highway.
Ancient creatures stir in hellish Russian Arctic permafrost, awaiting opportunity for escape to kill.
New passages from melted Arctic Ice enable humans to pollute new exciting areas.
Antarctica Thwaits Glacier may collapse. How bad is that? Who cares!
Indian glacier loss leading to water insecurity. Luckily the area is geopolitically stable!

See that wasn't so bad! It's ERRATA, MISCELLANEOUS, ROUNDUP, and ANIMAL DEATH!
Unseasonable warm weather has NYC natives asking, "Are things that bad, yet?"
People with pocket protectors say weather huge threat to number!!!
The 21 wackiest things you didn't know about human extinction!
Pollution, is it even worse than we thought? Of course it is you loving simpering fool.
BC floods, damage, send number soaring!!!
Deforestation brings exciting new opportunities for violent deaths to indigenous Colombians.
The oceans go back a decade or two for Branding, now more EXXXTREME.
Australian mouse plague damages levies.
Shags can't shag before dying. Not shag-a-delic baby (they're dying).
Scientists identify cause of climate change: it's beavers. No this is not an anti-natalism article!
Seagrass collapse. But I'm smoking on weed grass!
Records roundup (just give Reuters some FUCKIGN MONEY YOU CHEAPSKATE DONT YOU KNOW PRINT MEDIA IS FUCKIG DEAD YOU PIECE OF poo poo)

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 02:13 on Dec 22, 2021

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

err posted:

gently caress, do I ever love Peter Watts.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

err posted:

peter watts is so good

he writes all the best transhumanism fiction

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

how he sees himself

how he looks

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Get on out of your seats
[The most insanely raw guitar riff you've EVER heard causes your eardrums to rupture.] [You begin to weep.]

It's the return of The Big Post. As tradition demands this list is for a period no greater than a week only.
The below climate and biosphere collapse headlines are for the period: 12/12 to 12/17 of the current year.
None are spared.

Water, water everywhere, and not a plastic-laden drop to drink; it's FLOODS and RAINS!
Californians in Santa Cruz compare recent flooding to the visions of Hell contained in their dreams. Not that bad yet!
Washingtonians look for a path to normalcy following month old flooding. Normal will never return!
Kentuckians, defeated by the God of Wind, turn their demicidal sights on the God of Rain. It won't work!
Cyclone Carmel poses to this writer the question: what category should this be shunted into? This writer knows that the categories will be less and less discrete as we march into the eternal tombs and generally doesn't worry too much about.
Zimbambwens still picking up the pieces of their heart destroyed by Cyclone Adai two years ago. Let us hope they will only have the two year storm to mourn for the longest possible future.
Wildfire burn scars bring mud rivers to Orange County. Be careful what you wish for!
Floods cause Spaniards to declare Disaster Zone. We encourage the use of their much cooler term, Catastrophe Zone!
On the 16th, Filipinos were evacuating Typhoon Odette. Please don't confuse with Typhoon Rai from above! Two typhoons they're getting hosed by 'em both.
Cyclone Ruby brings heavy rains New Zealand. They seem okay with it, but a bit peeved!

And I'll huff and I'll puff cause buddy I'm not living through the end of the world loving sober; it's WINDS and TORNADOES!
Midwesterners find little cause for celebration as they add one to the history books. The most hurricane force winds of any storm (derecho) since 2014!

The derecho made it over most of the US's central corridor. Reports that three midwesterners unable to bring themselves to say "Howdy" to their neighbors. Situation grim.
Coloradan winds would've made the storm a CAT3. Coloradans say they will take what they can get.
Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas have their wildspreads spread by the strong winds. We were hoping they'd get blown out like candles.
Tornado says gently caress a hat trick here's a four-on-em. Unprecedented tornado track in terms of length. All four states agree the traveling was an obvious foul. No penalties called by refs.
If your house blows over take a page out of Kentuckians' books (just kidding, pick up a page off the ground, there's plenty) and burn it for warmth. Grim!
Thoughts and prayers to be sent to Wyoming for their rode closures following 118MPH winds. Wyomings respond that they "Can't complain," anthropologists baffled.

What have water and winds done for ME lately? gently caress it, it's DROUGHTS, HEATWAVES and FIRES!
Not better across the border, Iranians say "Oh gently caress. Well...gently caress."
Extreme heatwave grips Washington. Rime assures us it IS time to panic.
Brazilian coffee suggests its time to divest from beans, invest in Extreme Sports Energy.
Wild animals, wildfires, and widely no one care; 17 million animals loving die in Brazil.

It's too hot in Zimbabwe, in addition to being too wet and too windy. World leaders rush to look up "portent" in their Webster's Dictionaries.
Manitoban crops failing.
Herders and farmers gear up to throw down over drought-stricken lands near Lake Chad.
Also sharing a border with Iraq, Syria joins the mix as victim of the humanitarian crisis looming in the drought stricken region (NE Syria, SW Iraq, SE Iran).
33% rain in Iran.

Warmest December for Lower 48 (US) may come to pass. I'd love to come to pass myself!

Ancient creatures stir in hellish Russian Arctic permafrost, awaiting opportunity for escape to kill.
New passages from melted Arctic Ice enable humans to pollute new exciting areas.
Indian glacier loss leading to water insecurity. Luckily the area is geopolitically stable!

Pollution, is it even worse than we thought? Of course it is you loving simpering fool.
Deforestation brings exciting new opportunities for violent deaths to indigenous Colombians.
Scientists identify cause of climate change: it's beavers. No this is not an anti-natalism article!
Records roundup (just give Reuters some FUCKIGN MONEY YOU CHEAPSKATE DONT YOU KNOW PRINT MEDIA IS FUCKIG DEAD YOU PIECE OF poo poo)

Just let it all wash over you lmao lmao

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Get on out of your seats

None are spared.

Manitoban crops failing.
33% rain in Iran.

weird, because i've been informed that things aren't that bad, yet

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

How it started:

splifyphus posted:

the semantic apocalypse in full swing - get you some.

How it's going:

splifyphus posted:

I'll try to make it so simple a toddler could get it.

you, yourself, as an individual meatsack reading this thread, have a choice. you get to die on your knees mewling like a liberal coward, or you get to go out on your feet like a goddamn adult.

that's it. that's the only choice you have. it doesn't matter in the slightest, it will do nothing and accomplish nothing, your existence will have been just as meaningless either way, and multi-cellular life is loving off for the foreseeable future regardless.

It's a completely meaningless, subjective shift of one's attitude and outlook, it costs you nothing to make it, and yet still you're all regurgitating the same nihilist garbage you've been spoonfed your whole lives.

gently caress all of you. just loving die already.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

I think this was an act. Being the guy to quote Neitzche all the time is one of those boomer jokes so they're probably not that old.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

T-Paine posted:

what are you even arguing

If they're not a troll, they're just expressing the same frustration and anger we all feel, and confusion. Just a little spergish is all.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ssthalar posted:

I've been waiting over 30 years for death to finally claim me.
What's a couple more among good company?

I raise my bong in solidarity, here's to good companions FWIW

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Homeless Friend posted:

smdh at this nihilism

Homeless Friend, your AV has been a source of inspiration to me. Please tell me where it's from.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

petit choux posted:

How it started:

How it's going:

I think this was an act. Being the guy to quote Neitzche all the time is one of those boomer jokes so they're probably not that old.

if it was an act it was beautiful, the candle that burns twice as bright also burns down ur whole posting career

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Raine posted:

splifyphus is a good poster who has shown that they have a comprehensive understanding of leftist theory

i guess they just recently stumbled on the climate thread and aren't taking the implications well

Agreed. Assuming they are not a sock puppet. I'm still a little skeptical about throwing the Neitzche quotes around but there's more under the sun than I know.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Xaris posted:

Good words

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ruggan posted:

I like that quote too, thanks for sharing

Agreed

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Get on out of your seats

None are spared.

Manitoban crops failing.
33% rain in Iran.

Terrific as always.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
looks like a whole lot of "not that bad yet" to me

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Complications posted:

Terrific as always.

Wow, yes thanks. And all the other great posts on the past couple of pages. drat, a lot of stuff to look at!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Stevie Lee posted:

looks like a whole lot of "not that bad yet" to me

I've still got what's left in this keg, let's see if we can spin this thing up one more time

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

grim read. on the Eastern Highlands area that climate refugees are currently fleeing TO:

quote:

He fears that resources will soon run out as more people come to the area. Rivers that originate there, like the Mpudzi, Mushaamhuru, Murare, and Wengezi, are now running dry halfway through the dry season, he says.

“Soon people will fight for the little water left,” he says. Already, skirmishes have broken out between farmers, migrants, and traditional leaders over who settles where and who gets to decide.

Madanhire isn’t alone in his concerns. Josphat Manzini is a banana farmer in Burma Valley, a lucrative farming area in the Eastern Highlands that’s long been renowned for producing the best bananas in the country. He’s been anxious as climate migrants settle on nearby riverbanks and tap the water he needs to irrigate his more than 20 hectares.

Manzini says migrants have overrun several local rivers, taxing water supplies and stirring up so much silt that the debris is obstructing three dams as well as many smaller streams in the area.

Now, for the first time in his life, the prospects for banana farming in the Eastern Highlands are looking bleak. “There is no future here,” Manzini says.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

:hellyeah:

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

It's the return of The Big Post.

Ah, just the right dose of misery to send us off into the new year. :discourse:
Well done.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/ScottDuncanWX/status/1473338541677625350?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJS5qb02Xp4

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

petit choux posted:

Agreed. Assuming they are not a sock puppet. I'm still a little skeptical about throwing the Neitzche quotes around but there's more under the sun than I know.

as neitzche once said, "the path to racial purity is through loving your sister"

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Splify is childish, impulsive, possibly playing games, and also closer to enlightenment that most of us

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

petit choux posted:

Wow, yes thanks. And all the other great posts on the past couple of pages. drat, a lot of stuff to look at!

especially since you seen to not realize you can quote multiple posts in a post

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
That peter watts short story was good are his other works worth reading?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

https://i.imgur.com/uVcc5Lk.mp4

from a reddit post titled Odette (Rai) Category 5 typhoon ravages a stadium in the Philippines

DO SOMETHING!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

blatman posted:

if it was an act it was beautiful, the candle that burns twice as bright also burns down ur whole posting career

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF67tmqA-q0

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

IAMKOREA posted:

That peter watts short story was good are his other works worth reading?

Blindsight is an extremely good read if you like hard scifi and it's free to read on watts' site: https://rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

in a way it's extremely optimistic, but it's also sort of a horror story like the movie event horizon, so uh, take that as you will

Tempora Mutantur has issued a correction as of 21:23 on Dec 21, 2021

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Shifty Nipples posted:

especially since you seen to not realize you can quote multiple posts in a post

all those posts just burning so much fossil fuel dooming us all

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

reduce post count, reuse posts, recycle content

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

reduce post count, reuse posts, recycle content

fyad is a post carbon capture project

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
If you want to post more than your posting cap you can buy my post credits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

err posted:

zika wasnt causing birth defects it was industrial dumping in watersheds but they blamed it on the skeetos