Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

On the subject of WW...look, I'm not exactly a Deadman aficionado or anything, but am I the only one finding this whole thing with him randomly hijacking some dead guy's body without his consent, riding it around for poops and giggles, and then dumping it in the ocean...pretty gross? I mean, if it was a life and death situation then sure, you take the body that you can get, but like...this level of casual disrespect for someone's corpse feels like the sort of thing that a lot of people should have a problem with, much less Diana.

I mean he does say he normally tries to give the bodies some dignity and that that was an exception.

My only problem with it is that I thought Deadman's whole schtick was that he was totally a ghost and could not communicate with anyone without first possessing someone. In that respect I was like "if he's gotta possess someone, better a corpse than hijacking someone's life :shrug:" but Diana seems to see and talk to him just fine so I don't see the point of the corpse-jacking in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

BrianWilly posted:

Honestly, for now just read the books of the character[s] you're interested in. There's not a tremendous amount of company-wide synergy at the moment and every characters' office is just kinda doing their own thing.

I dunno we have a huge slate of crossovers coming up/in the process of happening.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

TwoPair posted:

I mean he does say he normally tries to give the bodies some dignity and that that was an exception.
To me that rang pretty hollow considering they had all the time in the world to have done just that, laid the body to rest, while he was leisurely wasting away the hours drinking hotel beer or having breakfast pancakes. As you say, he didn't even actually need a body to communicate with Diana at all in the first place so like, literally the only point of dragging some poor friendless schmuck's corpse across the world was for Boston to enjoy Swedish food? I'm sure Swedish food is great but like, not only did it feel a bit weird for Deadman, it's also insane that Wonder Woman had no problems with this.

Add in the fact that the actual story of the issue was all about laying the dead to rest, honoring Siegfried's final moments? The fact that they ended up dropping the corpse they used off in the sea like so much trash felt practically like some sort of sick in-joke.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I dunno we have a huge slate of crossovers coming up/in the process of happening.
Really? I honestly can't think of any.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 16, 2021

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I think it depends on how you're defining a "crossover", Fear State just wrapped up and it was primarily an arc in Batman but also had tie-in issues. DC keeps describing "Shadows of the Bat" as an "event" even though it thus far appears to be a twelve issue arc in Detective Comics.

There are some bonafide crossovers coming in early 2022, but they all seem pretty small, like Tom Taylor doing a story that starts in Nightwing and continues in Superman, and Joshua Williamson doing "Shadow War" tying Batman, Deathstroke Inc, and Robin together in March. Trial of the Amazons also starts in March, tying all three Wonder Woman books together in a story. None of these are "crossovers" or "events" in the way in the way something like Civil War or ***** Crisis are, but on some level if you just want to read Robin or Nubia of the Amazons, you are going to be sucked into figuring out what is going on in their 'parent' books, however briefly. Which isn't how a lot of people think of crossovers, which is more "if you want to read Swamp Thing you are going to be required to also read several issues of Constantine, Teen Titans, Green Arrow, and the Outsiders to see major plot developments and also there's a Joker War thing that will derail Swamp Thing for four issues" etc.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Okay, so let's say I want to follow the Young Justice characters. Do Tim, Bart, and Connor have books? I see there's a new Wonder Girl. The last time I seriously read DC was around 2004-5 around Infinite Crisis. Everything was fairly stable then, just starting to get shaky.

I've tried a couple times to get back in but I think I did bounce off that 2016 JLA, and the Metal series didn't do much for me.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Beerdeer posted:

Okay, so let's say I want to follow the Young Justice characters. Do Tim, Bart, and Connor have books?

Tim has had a couple of stories in Batman: Urban Legends which is an anthology comic featuring a bunch of other Bat-characters. IIRC it was one of those where he came out as being bi. Connor appeared in the Superman comics in Bendis' run (he is not in the current ones). I don't think Bart's been in anything since the YJ revival aside from group shots in event books.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianWilly posted:

Honestly, for now just read the books of the character[s] you're interested in. There's not a tremendous amount of company-wide synergy at the moment and every characters' office is just kinda doing their own thing.

That said, there is sort of something of a kind of ongoing storyline involving a new sort multiverse Crisis (yes really) that started with the Infinite Frontier series and is continuing now with Justice League Incarnate. However, it features mostly secondary and tertiary characters like Roy Harper, Alan Scott, Flashpoint Batman, and President Superman. I wouldn't call it a great jumping-in point.

Is President Superman the black one, or a version of Clark Kent that became President?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Is President Superman the black one, or a version of Clark Kent that became President?

The Black one. Who I think is a version of Zod?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Edge & Christian posted:

I think it depends on how you're defining a "crossover", Fear State just wrapped up and it was primarily an arc in Batman but also had tie-in issues. DC keeps describing "Shadows of the Bat" as an "event" even though it thus far appears to be a twelve issue arc in Detective Comics.

There are some bonafide crossovers coming in early 2022, but they all seem pretty small, like Tom Taylor doing a story that starts in Nightwing and continues in Superman, and Joshua Williamson doing "Shadow War" tying Batman, Deathstroke Inc, and Robin together in March. Trial of the Amazons also starts in March, tying all three Wonder Woman books together in a story. None of these are "crossovers" or "events" in the way in the way something like Civil War or ***** Crisis are, but on some level if you just want to read Robin or Nubia of the Amazons, you are going to be sucked into figuring out what is going on in their 'parent' books, however briefly. Which isn't how a lot of people think of crossovers, which is more "if you want to read Swamp Thing you are going to be required to also read several issues of Constantine, Teen Titans, Green Arrow, and the Outsiders to see major plot developments and also there's a Joker War thing that will derail Swamp Thing for four issues" etc.

I know this is the DC thread, but I've really liked how in Marvel lately they've seemed to move away from this, at least in the X-line for non X-events. X of swords you had to read most of it, but Hellfire Gala you could just keep reading whatever you're reading and ignore the other (I think Wolverine and X-Force were a two parter) and then for stuff like Empyre and King in Black I've only read the X-Men parts of those and didn't have any trouble following what was happening in the X-books.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

TwoPair posted:

Tim has had a couple of stories in Batman: Urban Legends which is an anthology comic featuring a bunch of other Bat-characters. IIRC it was one of those where he came out as being bi. Connor appeared in the Superman comics in Bendis' run (he is not in the current ones). I don't think Bart's been in anything since the YJ revival aside from group shots in event books.

Thanks much

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Beerdeer posted:

Okay, so let's say I want to follow the Young Justice characters. Do Tim, Bart, and Connor have books? I see there's a new Wonder Girl. The last time I seriously read DC was around 2004-5 around Infinite Crisis. Everything was fairly stable then, just starting to get shaky.

I've tried a couple times to get back in but I think I did bounce off that 2016 JLA, and the Metal series didn't do much for me.

Tim also shows up early in Tom Taylor's currently ongoing run of Nightwing. I need to catch up so I don't know how much he appears later.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And Wonder Girl is in... um... Wonder Girl. Actually all of them are in it at the moment. Cassie and Donna are chilling with the South American Amazons and Yara is trying to get out of Olympus without Hera killing her.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

And Wonder Girl is in... um... Wonder Girl. Actually all of them are in it at the moment. Cassie and Donna are chilling with the South American Amazons and Yara is trying to get out of Olympus without Hera killing her.

I need to start reading Wonder Girl.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

I need to start reading Wonder Girl.

It's a very pretty book, having flipped through it. Kinda thirsty for its main character sometimes, but it's nice to look at.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gaz-L posted:

Those are two different black Supermen.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Open Marriage Night posted:

Those are two different black Supermen.

Neat! :)

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

President Superman is an alternate Kal-El.

The second Superman from the Earth-2 series was Val-Zod, who I think was the son of his universe's General Zod and later adopted by Jor-El and Lara before Krypton exploded.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

There's also the Earth 3 Titans crossover thing coming up.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Splint Chesthair posted:

President Superman is an alternate Kal-El.

The second Superman from the Earth-2 series was Val-Zod, who I think was the son of his universe's General Zod and later adopted by Jor-El and Lara before Krypton exploded.

You're all forgetting the grooviest Superman of them all! Sunshine Superman! :mad: That makes 3 Supermen of Color.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

If we're going from 'Black Supermen' to 'Superman of Color', we also have Chinese Super-Man:

And Spanish Superman!

(I am still shocked DC never tried to do more with the Gods and Monsters universe.)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Jiro posted:

You're all forgetting the grooviest Superman of them all! Sunshine Superman! :mad: That makes 3 Supermen of Color.

I would never forget Sunshine Superman! Grant even brought back fellow Love Syndicate member Magic Lantern in his Green Lantern run.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vandar posted:

And Spanish Superman!

(I am still shocked DC never tried to do more with the Gods and Monsters universe.)

There were rumors of that turning into a show, but it didn't happen.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I can not believe how many villains batman kills pre-crisis

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
So is Cassie the old Cassie, or new super-thief Cassie from New 52 Teen Titans?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

EDIT: Me getting Wonder Girl mixed up with Batgirl.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Beerdeer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX-YfuVQmX8

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Beerdeer posted:

Whatever you're reading in Wonder Girl is whatever Joelle Jones wants her to be. She is not using any history or stories to inform her decisions with Cassie. She's basically a blank slate to help deliver Yara to us and to make Yara integral to the rest of the Wonder Women/Girls.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's essentially background agnostic with the only thing really referenced is the part that's been consistent with all of her incarnations which is that she's the Daughter of Zeus (and thus Diana's aunt or something)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

It's essentially background agnostic with the only thing really referenced is the part that's been consistent with all of her incarnations which is that she's the Daughter of Zeus (and thus Diana's aunt or something)

It's fuzzy. New 52 had Zeus be her grandfather so Diana was her aunt. Rucka tried to reset that stuff but Robinson reasserted it probably to keep in line with the movie so I think that's still their relationship. gently caress knows how Donna fits any more.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

Cassie not ever having met Artemis is a lot more than background agnostic. It's background exclusionary.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Unfortunately, as of now, the origin is still that Diana is Zeus' daughter (re-confirmed as of a handful of issues ago in her main book) and Cassie is Zeus' grand-daughter. How this is supposed to work, considering that Cassie's co-called father Lennox never actually existed, has not been explained. And Donna is [train rolls by, drowning out sound]

The fact is that every contradictory thing about Diana, Donna, and Cassie would actually all be easily, coherently smoothed out if they would only just give everyone what they wanted and simply have Diana be made of clay again, but my strong suspicion is that someone up high on the WB/DC decision-making branch is still doggedly hanging onto the Zeus origin in order to keep synergy with the DCEU...which, yes, is pretty ironic/silly/backwards considering that the movie likely only did that to keep synergy with what was the comics origin at the time and also like, who even cares about the DCEU anymore at this point. The editorial branch of the WW offices seem more competent and put-together nowadays than they've ever been before but this remains the one scab they won't pick at, likely also because Conrad and Cloonan don't seem particularly incentivized.

The downside of which is that this one single discrepancy in Diana's backstory continues to spread out and muddle the backstories of every single other character in her franchise, from Cassie to Donna and even Hippolyta and Nubia as well, so every writer who handles them has to do the narrative equivalent of politely ignoring the fact that these characters' origins haven't made any sense for about ten years.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 18, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh dear. Are we setting up for that old favorite Who Is Wonder Woman/Donna Troy/Wonder Girl/Heck Maybe Artemis?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The thing on that vein that baffles me is how hard Robinson's run leaned into it. Like you could 100% just ignore her origin after Rucka left. There is nothing about her being clay or Zeus' lovechild that precludes her fighting the Cheetah or Circe or Dr Psycho. But nope, literally had to do like 20 issues of 'Daddy Issues The Comic'.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Where are my jsa and jsa related heroes books?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mr Hootington posted:

Where are my jsa and jsa related heroes books?

Geoff Johns took them all when he was thrown out of the offices Jazzy Jeff style once Three Jokers was over. :smith:

Just give me an Hourman cameo, DC...

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Johns didn't get thrown out he's just moved over entirely to writing/producing for the movies and TV

which is more or less what he was doing before Three Jokers, really

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Blockhouse posted:

Johns didn't get thrown out he's just moved over entirely to writing/producing for the movies and TV

which is more or less what he was doing before Three Jokers, really

*the sounds of the JSA being dragged into oblivion fill the air*

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Wouldn’t be their first time trapped in limbo.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Bring back Rupert Thorne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
This week's Nightwing is just delightful and I'd strongly recommend it to anyone, even people who aren't following. Doesn't require a lot of context aside from that Dick recently decided to use money he inherited to help people in Bludhaven and this has angered some of the locals.