Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I saw someone advertising the guild “Something Dope” on Mischief. Sounded Goony. Did someone here start that or is this coincidence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sounds like a coincidence

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Dear thread: I am completely lost trying to hunt Felia Goldwing to the point where I can't even find her placeholders. Guides say to search around Skyfire mountains for the named spawns, but I can't even find those either. I am beginning to question whether I am even in the right place.

-Thanks,
Cpt_Obvious

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
Every time I’ve needed a skyfire named, I needed a tracker and several hours of just killing random mobs. It stinks.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Dear thread: I am completely lost trying to hunt Felia Goldwing to the point where I can't even find her placeholders. Guides say to search around Skyfire mountains for the named spawns, but I can't even find those either. I am beginning to question whether I am even in the right place.

-Thanks,
Cpt_Obvious

https://wiki.project1999.com/Skyfire_Named_Cycle

E: I helped more than a few bards get Eldrig the Old. The cycle-mob (PH or otherwise) spawns on some rocks on the eastern wall of Skyfire, not too far from the OT zoneline. For the bards, I would stand at the rocks, and they would run around the zone and high sun every monster they saw until one appeared at the rocks. That was the placeholder; the bard would come back, they would kill it and then they would camp that spawn location until Eldrig spawned. Felia can spawn in that cycle too.

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 20, 2021

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Solarin posted:

and also because I love sharing knowledge about exploits: doors are a client side thing as far as EQ is concerned and you can straight up delete a zone's 3D object file and the zone loads with no doors (or any other non base geometry asset for that matter). It's one of the easiest hacks I've ever seen in an online game. I don't recommend it obviously but it is funny

What other objects does this method bypass, other than doors?

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Sand Monster posted:

way back when I had a malformed zone file load, I could only see the bounding box and some water. NPCs were correct but all on the ground.

Relogging fixed it but I assume if you edited the zone files by hand you could do all kinds of stuff.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Sand Monster posted:

Doors, torches, any object you could click to interact with. Just random stuff that fill out a given scene.

It is practically useful in luclin because using it and a combination of out of bounds clipping means you can skip all of VT trash entirely. But a solo player could cheat their way through the crypt door in seb, for example.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Sand Monster posted:

Anything that isn't part of the zone's base map. The zone geometry is 'hard' and can't be bypassed easily. But added objects like doors are softer, and can be bypassed easier through things like ducking, jumping, and changing sizes. Doors are the most common objects, but there are added rocks all over, some used to block off hallways in instances, and random poo poo like torches and interactable fire pots all over the world.

I figured out how to make a raid a lot easier by ducking through some rocks that didn't exist in the base version of the zone, to bypass the mechanics of getting to that closed area. Very rarely you can find places that let you fall through the hard geometry, but that's rarely useful. 95% of the time you just fall to the bottom of the zone's bounding box, or maybe a large floor plane. Some zones have kill planes lurking below, those suck to find. Once we found an out of bounds spot that dumped you into the space between rooms, but it wasn't useful for anything. Finding those spots involves looking for places where a ramp can squish your character up, or where there are lots of surfaces were the modeler might have forgotten to add a hard plane to contain you.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

DisgracelandUSA posted:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Skyfire_Named_Cycle

E: I helped more than a few bards get Eldrig the Old. The cycle-mob (PH or otherwise) spawns on some rocks on the eastern wall of Skyfire, not too far from the OT zoneline. For the bards, I would stand at the rocks, and they would run around the zone and high sun every monster they saw until one appeared at the rocks. That was the placeholder; the bard would come back, they would kill it and then they would camp that spawn location until Eldrig spawned. Felia can spawn in that cycle too.

What is a "cycle" exactly? Like a list of mobs that spawn in order, so you have to hunt them down and kill them in order to spawn the next on the list?

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Cpt_Obvious posted:

What is a "cycle" exactly? Like a list of mobs that spawn in order, so you have to hunt them down and kill them in order to spawn the next on the list?

A certain set of specific mobs, named and place holders, make up a cycle. You kill a placeholder and another spawns and eventually a named will pop. A good example is quillmane. There’s a certain cycle of placeholders you can find that will guarantee an eventual quillmane spawn. There’s simpler ones like hasten/brother z/grizzly bear etc in rathe mountains.

rally fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 20, 2021

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

jetz0r posted:

Anything that isn't part of the zone's base map. The zone geometry is 'hard' and can't be bypassed easily. But added objects like doors are softer, and can be bypassed easier through things like ducking, jumping, and changing sizes. Doors are the most common objects, but there are added rocks all over, some used to block off hallways in instances, and random poo poo like torches and interactable fire pots all over the world.

I figured out how to make a raid a lot easier by ducking through some rocks that didn't exist in the base version of the zone, to bypass the mechanics of getting to that closed area. Very rarely you can find places that let you fall through the hard geometry, but that's rarely useful. 95% of the time you just fall to the bottom of the zone's bounding box, or maybe a large floor plane. Some zones have kill planes lurking below, those suck to find. Once we found an out of bounds spot that dumped you into the space between rooms, but it wasn't useful for anything. Finding those spots involves looking for places where a ramp can squish your character up, or where there are lots of surfaces were the modeler might have forgotten to add a hard plane to contain you.

Fun ones!

- Zoning under one of the East Karana Bridges ported you to the top of the high pass hold hill. Several other bridge zonelines did this as well to other parts of the world
- When Velious was released on live, there was a bug/exploit allowing players to succor through the zone to WW. You zone in, go to the corner to right, face it and camp. Log in, sit and camp. Doing this a few times would eventually glitch you through the wall and force game to drop you in safe spot (succor point at WW).
- The rocks to get into Hole were locked, you had to duck to get through, no clue where the key to those were in my life.
- The jail area in hole is not on any map (filled with rat men), Most doors are locked here and few people know whats going on in the area.
- Crushbone lets you go out of bounds really easily with just Levitate, I dont recommend it.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

PyRosflam posted:

- The rocks to get into Hole were locked, you had to duck to get through, no clue where the key to those were in my life.

AFAIK, you just need to buy the key in Paineel. But yeah, it's super easy to shrink/duck to get in.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

rally posted:

A certain set of specific mobs, named and place holders, make up a cycle. You kill a placeholder and another spawns and eventually a named will pop. A good example is quillmane. There’s a certain cycle of placeholders you can find that will guarantee an eventual quillmane spawn. There’s simpler ones like hasten/brother z/grizzly bear etc in rathe mountains.

Thanks.

So it looks like this isn't happening without a tracker so I'm leveling up a druid. What's the minimum level he can be before he can group and earn xp with a level 57 char?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
35 or 36 I think?

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Thanks.

So it looks like this isn't happening without a tracker so I'm leveling up a druid. What's the minimum level he can be before he can group and earn xp with a level 57 char?

It’s the type of thing that is way less ball crushingly frustrating if you use showeq but I get that some people would rather not.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

rally posted:

It’s the type of thing that is way less ball crushingly frustrating if you use showeq but I get that some people would rather not.

what is this.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Maphacks and most everyone uses them, it becomes painfully obvious to recognize just how many are running it once you see the map moving around: https://sourceforge.net/projects/seq/ http://www.showeq.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?64-MySEQ-Help-Desk two links you'll need for it.

edit: yeah definitely obviously against ToS and is breaking the rules, so don't talk about it / frowned upon by Daybreak. It doesn't modify any gamefiles, just reads the data that comes to your client and displays it visually.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 21, 2021

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
With the giant obvious caveat that EQ would rather you not use them. Not that you'll get busted unless you do some really stupid poo poo. Even then you'll probably get a few chances unless you're making a nuisance of yourself or ruining their money.

It's one of those badly kept secrets, once you run it you'll see how obvious it is when other people are running it too. It's more than you'd think.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 21, 2021

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

ShowEQ is third party program that looks at the memory EQ is using to hold zone data.

The game puts every drat thing in the zone into memory with no concern for distance from the player. That allows ShowEQ to give you a map of every player or creature and their location/heading/level/class etc.

It's a cheat, and a very widely used one. I think the enforcement against it is you basically need to stream yourself using it to be banned.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
It was super obvious which Monks were using ShowEQ in South Karana on Mischief and it was pretty much all of them.

Still farmed the hell out of Head of Shen and Dareb’s Skull right out from under them without ShowEQ by understanding the spawning patterns for the named.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I’ve tried to get into this game a few times and never can stick with it because everything is so overwhelming. I was thinking of trying a magician or beastlord on Mischief but just got totally overwhelmed by UI and knowing where to go when I logged in again. Does anyone have a simple guide or top 5 tips they’d share for a new player that doesn’t require me reading 100 wiki pages to get started? I don’t mind learning that stuff once I’m into a game.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Ort posted:

I’ve tried to get into this game a few times and never can stick with it because everything is so overwhelming. I was thinking of trying a magician or beastlord on Mischief but just got totally overwhelmed by UI and knowing where to go when I logged in again. Does anyone have a simple guide or top 5 tips they’d share for a new player that doesn’t require me reading 100 wiki pages to get started? I don’t mind learning that stuff once I’m into a game.

well, basically starting out as a new player, there's tons of poo poo in the game and you can't really do any of it! Unless you're starting on live, in which case you basically just follow the tutorial quests for like ever until they run out. But on a TLP like mischief all there is to do really is go out + kill poo poo for XP. Mage is definitely the best choice for learning the ropes IMO because they will have the easiest time soloing, tho you do have to manage the pet controls (which isnt complicated).

Casters also have an easier time starting out cuz you basically don't need gear at all early on, your spells do all the work. You DO need money to buy your spells though, its possible to earn some while playing by collecting loot + selling it to a vendor (watch for enemies with weapons - the most valuable being a cracked staff). Alternatively you can just ask in chat if anyone feels like sending you some plat, in the newbie or general chats, you won't always get a response but theres a good chance someone will feel generous. Anyway, theres a ton of spells and if you cant afford all of them, the most important are pets + nukes, as well as important utilities like invisibility, bind affinity, and gate. Your class spell vendors are almost always near where you start out, also if you need help finding an NPC use CTRL-F to bring up the find window. The game also has some pretty good maps built in, altho you should also google Brewall's maps, which you download and put into a folder and adds a lot of extra info, pretty much everyone uses it.

to make a real basic starting list:
1: get some moneys
2: buy backpacks + spells
3: grind xp forever while earning more moneys

thats really all there is to it, there are some few quests that can be worth doing but almost every quest reward is completely obsoleted by the fact you can take a small amount of plat to the bazaar and buy poo poo that is better, altho make sure you pay attention to if an item has a required or recommended level - req level = cant use, rec level = reduced stats until the rec is met. Now that PoP expansion is out on TLPs you can mostly get around the world by yourself, you'll have to become familiar with the book travel system via plane of knowledge tho. basically every starting city has a book nearby that will port you to POK, from there you can go to a ton of places, and POK is where mostly everyone hangs out now, along with the bazaar.

As for finding places to level, I'll leave that for you, you can explore yourself or try to find people ingame who're willing to group, they'll generally have an idea of where the good xp is for your level. There's an /lfg function that is pretty basic that can be used to find other people, but mostly its faster to use chat to find groups or even directly send tells to people near your level range. The game scales such that most of the time being in a full group is faster xp than solo or small groups but you'll have to take what you can get most likely.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

also, little mage specific tip if you do go that route, their pets come in 'tiers' of similar spell names, like lesser elemental <element>, greater <element>, whatever the names are - but the important thing to know is that each tier, the pets are all the same level, you only get a higher level pet when getting a higher tier summon. each element does slightly different things, earth is best for tanking and can root, air will occasionally interrupt enemy spells, water is probably the best overall, fire has too low HP to use in my experience.

edit: also i forgot the point of this post but you can save a lot of money only buying 1 pet each tier

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 21, 2021

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
On mischief PoK will be open, you’ll probably be ok w/ just air or water pets all the way up and you can get the spells from the library. In classic you would usually have only one pet available on vendor per tier. The nuances of the pets aren’t super relevant until you’re at a higher level and even then you won’t end up switching around too much. Particularly once they backstab at lvl 54 the water pet is almost always highest DPS but doesn’t take hits great. Earth takes hits great but is poor at holding agro. Air is sort of in between. Has DPS closer to water but doesn’t have any special attacks. It’s air spell stuns but does substantially less than the water pet dd attack. The stun is helpful for agro control tho and air takes hits a little better than water.

Soloing will start to become more difficult in your 50s and gear will start to matter and have a large effect on your downtime. Early on mages tend to try to kill things before it kills their pet and just let pet heal up before next mob. As the mobs get more hp and hit harder you’ll hit a phase where mobs will kill your pet if you’re not healing some. You’ll hit another phase where the pet heal doesn’t keep up absent a healing and spell haste focus and you’ll have to add in pet rune and caution or bring a box healer. Grouping smooths that out but soloing becomes less effective unless you have a pocket healer or some healing focus items to make your pet heal a little more substantial. It’s a good class for grouping when you want to and still having plenty to do solo when you don’t want to group.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

If you go mage use either water or earth pets.

I never solo'd with my mage on Mischief (ran a 3box crew with my buddy who also 3boxed) but we always used water pets because their DPS is supposed to be the highest.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Ort posted:

There's an in game tutorial that's enabled at some point on TLPs. Mischief won't have it for 3-4 months but you can always play through it on a regular server just to get comfortable with the UI and gameplay.

I'd suggest waiting until they announce new servers before trying to push through the learning curve. There's just way more grouping and low level activity in the first couple months of a server.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Is there an item(s) to change the appearance of Enchanters' charmed pets? I bought a thing from the cash store to make my pet a grandfather clock which would be hilarious but it says it only works on summoned pets.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
Enchanters have a line of buffs that turn pets into warewolves and stuff. It gives the target a prod, buff, and other random stuff.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

ugh. im getting the itch again. what class would yall recommend for mischief that would have an easy enough time catching up and soloing when needed? i have a decent pile of krono to twink with from the last TLP i played on (agnarr). never really played beastlord so considering that

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

ugh. im getting the itch again. what class would yall recommend for mischief that would have an easy enough time catching up and soloing when needed? i have a decent pile of krono to twink with from the last TLP i played on (agnarr). never really played beastlord so considering that

I am just wafting on the next TLP.

BL has problem getting raid slots, but only in true classic

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

If your goal is to raid and you want to do competitive dps then beastlord won't feel great. Usually the people that rolled one to main in Luclin start to change their minds after a few months of pop.

If you just want to level and mess around outside of raids, or if you are into the buffing/support role in raids, then they're a fine choice.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Solarin posted:

If your goal is to raid and you want to do competitive dps then beastlord won't feel great. Usually the people that rolled one to main in Luclin start to change their minds after a few months of pop.

If you just want to level and mess around outside of raids, or if you are into the buffing/support role in raids, then they're a fine choice.

Every monk and rogue has a beastlord buddy cause Savagery is like crack.

I stopped playing my beastlord on Thornblade in the 50s, groups just kept drying up and I hadn't joined a guild. I should have played on Mischief, seems like the population was better there. I keep getting the itch to move servers and try again, the random loot/free trade system honestly was the best time I've had in EQ since I can remember.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Beast Lords are poo poo for ages. Don't bother.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Haven't touched EQ1 in a few years and only barely remember what I did the last time I played. Before that I hadn't played since, basically, release.

Going to stream it a bit in the somewhat near future (possibly w/ a companion) as part of a 'let's explore an old/obscure/dead mmo!' segment and then turn it into a YT vid.

I extremely doubt we'll get to end game, and no interest in dealing w/ boxing for the purposes of what I'm doing. Any recs on classes with that in mind? I was kinda thinking of playing Bard or maybe Magician. My friend is leaning SK but it's not a guarantee it'd be a duo thing. We'll have J1 mercs for this.

Also is the goon server in OP up to date? Was planning on doing this on a normal server rather than TLP and figured I might as well do it on the goon server if it's still somewhat active! If not, is there a high pop server y'all would recommend?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Firiona Vie, Xegony, or Bristlebane for live servers.

TLPs are a mixed bag. Mischief is probably the best one if you’re just screwing around for a bit. Planes of Power content is probably the most popular era.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Big AoC change in the next patch removing replay timers. Server crashes screwing you out of your weekly instance should no longer be a thing. Probably will be super abusable (at the least it will make fishing for rares in DZ much easier) but still should be a positive change.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
How does it remove replay timers? Gets rid of them all together? Or just changes how they work?

I don't know the distinction between replay timer and lock out?

Doctor Party fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 14, 2022

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

replay timer was a time when, after opening a DZ, you were locked out of opening another one for that zone. For most it was the full normal lockout timer, for some (like NTOV) it was short so you could split the raid over multiple days if needed. So then for an instance like NTOV, if you re-opened the DZ, any bosses that you had a loot lockout for would not spawn in the re-opened DZ

so I guess now you can re-open a DZ like say Sebilis as much as you want and farm the xp/rares with no worries about other groups, tho its more of a pain than staying in a respawning zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Replay timer prevents you from requesting or entering the instance. Loot lockouts either prevent bosses from spawning or prevent zone mobs from dropping any loot.

I think a lot of classic raid DZs had 3 day replay timers and 7 day loot lockouts for the different bosses. So after 3 days you can create a new instance minus the bosses you killed in your first run and finish the clear.

The timers are also important to being able to split/merge raids. I remember it was possible to split certain Plane of Time phases and clear others as a single raid.

I know in our Anguish splits we have to send a group in 2 hours before our raid start to open the DZ and let the replay timer expire so we can kill one boss as a full raid then immediately leave and open two new instances (minus that boss since we have the loot lockout) to fully clear.

Indecisive posted:

so I guess now you can re-open a DZ like say Sebilis as much as you want and farm the xp/rares with no worries about other groups, tho its more of a pain than staying in a respawning zone

The generic Loot Lockout prevents how much you can do this. If you kill any mob in a dz you'll get a 7 day lock which completely shuts off drops from trash/rares in any subsequent instances you open. Though I'm sure it will be abusable in some way

Solarin fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 14, 2022