Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ojetor posted:

I'm guessing (Pandaemonium speculation) there's 100% going to be Lahabrea fight in some form in this raid series so they can give the final unsundered a proper fight after being killed billions of times as a joke boss in MSQ roulette.

I unironically think he’s been possessed by a proto-Voidsent as a bit of irony considering he possess Thancred during his MSQ fight. Hence the way the raid seems to be set up narratively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah i freggin love warrior, especially learning new fights. lots of time between gcd's to move, pop defensives, all that jazz.

Murvin
Jan 7, 2008
Jet-setter and raconteur

The raid loot icon for boots look exactly like pants because they're thigh highs so I rolled on the wrong item. I ALSO thought greaves meant pants, so today I learned :)

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I'm sorry, scions, but imma start taking my squadron instead of you all. Don't feel bad you're underperforming. After all, my squad was trained by the best (me) :grin:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Lord_Magmar posted:

I unironically think he’s been possessed by a proto-Voidsent as a bit of irony considering he possess Thancred during his MSQ fight. Hence the way the raid seems to be set up narratively.

I'm thinking psycho future Lahabrea hitched a ride with you somehow and possessed his past self during your initial visit

Wild speculation: the fourth boss and the lyrics to the fourth boss's music makes me think future bosses in the raid will also be refs to popular non-Square PS1 games

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
My guess is Themis is Elidibus.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Ojetor posted:

I'm guessing (Pandaemonium speculation) there's 100% going to be Lahabrea fight in some form in this raid series so they can give the final unsundered a proper fight after being killed billions of times as a joke boss in MSQ roulette.

I think Erich will become the Lahabrea we know.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Mr. Nice! posted:

Andrew Verse posted:

I think Erich will become the Lahabrea we know.

I think Themis and Erich are totally Gaia and Ryne round two but as a hyper competent pretty boy and a self conscious pretty boy. They look about the same age given their respective heights (compared to Hades and Hythlodaeus based on the extreme scientific method of they’re about my height and H&H were a head taller than me).

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Ojetor posted:

(More Pandaemonium speculation, includes EW stuff) I had an intial theory right when they plopped Lahabrea's face right on the reveal of the new raid that this dude isn't dead because how to kill an Ascian is very well established and his "death" didn't qualify. It is explicitly a two-step process you need to trap an Ascian soul in a prison so it can't escape to the rift, then hit it with a very strong blast of aether to dissipate the soul. Nabriales needed white auracite and Moenbryda's aether to die. Igeyorhm needed white auracite and a dragon's eye. Emet-selch needed white auracite and all the Light-aspected aether we had picked up in the first. Fandaniel breaks the pattern a bit but sticking himself into Zodiark may very well qualify for Step 1 and Zodiark blowing up is probably Step 2. Plus, the dude wanted to die and might have simply not tried to save himself like another Ascian would.

Lahabrea gets absorbed by Ascalon at the end of Heavensward and that's it. We even have a roughly equivalent comparison to what happened to Lahabrea with Elidibus, who gets absorbed by the entire Crystal Tower - G'Raha even makes the point that the tower is effectively a giant white auracite - and EW's story shows this didn't kill Elidibus. He was still there and doesn't really "die" until he used up the rest of his own aether getting us to Elpis.

It has to be one massive Chekhov's Gun that the process is so well explained, Lahabrea didn't qualify for the whole process, and yet we don't hear anything from him.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Flavahbeast posted:

I'm thinking psycho future Lahabrea hitched a ride with you somehow and possessed his past self during your initial visit

Wild speculation: the fourth boss and the lyrics to the fourth boss's music makes me think future bosses in the raid will also be refs to popular non-Square PS1 games

I'm sad that it wasn't an official crossover because do I ever want to hear Soken's Bloody Tears.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Meiteron posted:

(More Pandaemonium speculation, includes EW stuff) I had an intial theory right when they plopped Lahabrea's face right on the reveal of the new raid that this dude isn't dead because how to kill an Ascian is very well established and his "death" didn't qualify. It is explicitly a two-step process you need to trap an Ascian soul in a prison so it can't escape to the rift, then hit it with a very strong blast of aether to dissipate the soul. Nabriales needed white auracite and Moenbryda's aether to die. Igeyorhm needed white auracite and a dragon's eye. Emet-selch needed white auracite and all the Light-aspected aether we had picked up in the first. Fandaniel breaks the pattern a bit but sticking himself into Zodiark may very well qualify for Step 1 and Zodiark blowing up is probably Step 2. Plus, the dude wanted to die and might have simply not tried to save himself like another Ascian would.

Lahabrea gets absorbed by Ascalon at the end of Heavensward and that's it. We even have a roughly equivalent comparison to what happened to Lahabrea with Elidibus, who gets absorbed by the entire Crystal Tower - G'Raha even makes the point that the tower is effectively a giant white auracite - and EW's story shows this didn't kill Elidibus. He was still there and doesn't really "die" until he used up the rest of his own aether getting us to Elpis.

It has to be one massive Chekhov's Gun that the process is so well explained, Lahabrea didn't qualify for the whole process, and yet we don't hear anything from him.

Ascian souls are still just aether. Nothing shields them from getting absorbed by a dragon's eye and then consumed. In his case, his aether was exhausted creating Shinryu and destroyed by Estinian post-menagerie.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ascian souls are still just aether. Nothing shields them from getting absorbed by a dragon's eye and then consumed. In his case, his aether was exhausted creating Shinryu and destroyed by Estinian post-menagerie.

Which is precisely what was happening to Elidibus, we just expedited the process

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Meiteron posted:

Even though I see this argument here and there, I'm not too convinced. (EW ending stuff) You're largely right, except for considering what happens at the end of HW. Getting absorbed by Ascalon isn't the end. Ascalon reverts back into one of Nidhogg's eyes, where it and its twin are picked up by Estinien, and he falls to Nidhogg's corruption. After that, Nidhogg's got his aether. Then, after we kill Nidhogg the eyes are thrown into the Abyss where they're frozen. They remain that way until Ilberd uses them to summon Shinryu, which is taken over by Zenos and becomes a part of him. Then Zenos uses all of that aether, plus whatever's left from the Mothercrystal, to get to Ultima Thule and fight us, where he dies.

During that entire time Lahabrea is stuck in the Eye and his and the Eyes' aether are all being used to power every step of the way, possibly being used up entirely halfway through.

Lahabrea's dead.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

So if Elidibus was still a conscious soul trapped in the tower, that means Lahabrea was trapped inside the eye seeing everything going on around him until that battery got discharged. lol

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Onean posted:

Even though I see this argument here and there, I'm not too convinced. (EW ending stuff) You're largely right, except for considering what happens at the end of HW. Getting absorbed by Ascalon isn't the end. Ascalon reverts back into one of Nidhogg's eyes, where it and its twin are picked up by Estinien, and he falls to Nidhogg's corruption. After that, Nidhogg's got his aether. Then, after we kill Nidhogg the eyes are thrown into the Abyss where they're frozen. They remain that way until Ilberd uses them to summon Shinryu, which is taken over by Zenos and becomes a part of him. Then Zenos uses all of that aether, plus whatever's left from the Mothercrystal, to get to Ultima Thule and fight us, where he dies.

During that entire time Lahabrea is stuck in the Eye and his and the Eyes' aether are all being used to power every step of the way, possibly being used up entirely halfway through.

Lahabrea's dead.

I would offer one observation, though, as your line of reasoning has one error: Nidhogg's Eyes persist only to the end of Stormblood. The full path is Ascalon -> Eyes -> Shinryu, but once Shinryu is destroyed the game makes it a point to show that the Eyes still exist, lying on the ground in the royal menagerie, until Estinien shows up in the epilogue and destroys them.

This raises the question, though - does Estinien destroying the Eyes there also destroy Lahabrea, or just his prison?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Meiteron posted:

I would offer one observation, though, as your line of reasoning has one error: Nidhogg's Eyes persist only to the end of Stormblood. The full path is Ascalon -> Eyes -> Shinryu, but once Shinryu is destroyed the game makes it a point to show that the Eyes still exist, lying on the ground in the royal menagerie, until Estinien shows up in the epilogue and destroys them.

This raises the question, though - does Estinien destroying the Eyes there also destroy Lahabrea, or just his prison?

I'd say they're just the prison by then. It's not stated by the game, but I'm assuming that any aether that wasn't consumed in the Shinryu fight is now Zenos's as an explanation for why he can take Shinryu's form for the end of EW. The Eyes after the fight are just empty husks, waiting to recharge from the ambient aether, which is why Estinien was able to destroy them when they couldn't be destroyed before then.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Onean posted:

I'd say they're just the prison by then. It's not stated by the game, but I'm assuming that any aether that wasn't consumed in the Shinryu fight is now Zenos's as an explanation for why he can take Shinryu's form for the end of EW. The Eyes after the fight are just empty husks, waiting to recharge from the ambient aether, which is why Estinien was able to destroy them when they couldn't be destroyed before then.

I would say The Resonance/False Echo explains turning into Shinryu fine. Basically he used a bunch of Aether to transform the way Hades/Hermes did. After all the Echo is meant to be Ancient Aether/Soul powers.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Got lucky and one-shot P1-P4 with randos. Enjoyed it! Difficulty felt not unlike O1-O4. Wouldn't be shocked if the creature designer was watching (P4 aesthetic) Castlevania on Netflix when sketching them out. The narrative seems okay. Right now I feel less of a personal stake in it than I did with Eden or Coil, but I still want to see where it goes.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
So I ended up encountering a Marauder that forgot to use AOE despite having it by the time you can get to the first Dungeon (though I'm certain that he started using it at the end) and a Conjurer who only healed said Marauder and nothing else ,even when there were adds in the final dungeon boss targeting him, he just moved away instead of doing something like attack them. They're not as bad as the literal bot as the Tank during a Roulette as an Archer but I don't think alot of things could top that.

Anyway, got all but Thaumaturge and Conjurer to 30, unlocking their Jobs. The recent one was Archer where through hard work and being accepting towards others, the hard-assed Silvairre starts to respect other people and-

No wait, he's still racist, nevermind. He didn't learn poo poo outside of thinking I'm alright I guess.

Yeah, Archer is probably the weakest story out of all the Class quests that I've done because I think they mixed up or mistook the fact that Silvairre was supposed to be a hard-rear end because he didn't want others to gently caress up like he did but instead they just made him racist (or at least, just a plain rear end in a top hat) towards people that didn't live in Gridania which isn't the same thing.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's not a mystery, it's basically stated. He has a white robe, refers to being part of the convocation and in the teaser he even had Elidibus' voice.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

well there is one undeniable truth we now know thanks to these new adventures

Lahahrea fucks.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

lmao when the keyward for asphodelos shows up in the raids I was like...vampire? And then before P4, Erichthonios confirms "yeah, vampire." Wonder if any connection to Voidsent/RDM quest line (assume no, but you never know!)

e: learning these raids blind rocked honestly. haven't had the chance to try that yet in FFXIV. maybe tonight I'll make a blind-learning PF for one of the EX trials...

Valentin fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 21, 2021

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

That's not a mystery, it's basically stated. He has a white robe, refers to being part of the convocation and in the teaser he even had Elidibus' voice.

(zone 5 spoilers) Venat says that the white robes are for either Elidibus or retired convocation members, right? I could've sworn someone tells you that outright but I can't find the line so I assume it's not cutscene dialogue.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Valentin posted:

(zone 5 spoilers) Venat says that the white robes are for either Elidibus or retired convocation members, right? I could've sworn someone tells you that outright but I can't find the line so I assume it's not cutscene dialogue.

I think it's Emet who tells you, but yeah the white robes are for the seat of Elidibus or any (possibly only ex-?)government official that can be trusted to mediate matters impartially.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Valentin posted:

Aside from Elidibus's robes, It's from Emet-Selch, when Venat first shows up. I think Elidibus explains his white robes way back in ARR when he and the WoL first talk, though I can't double check right now.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Pyro Jack posted:

Yeah, Archer is probably the weakest story out of all the Class quests that I've done because I think they mixed up or mistook the fact that Silvairre was supposed to be a hard-rear end because he didn't want others to gently caress up like he did but instead they just made him racist (or at least, just a plain rear end in a top hat) towards people that didn't live in Gridania which isn't the same thing.

Good news: once you become Bard you don't need to deal with those jerks ever again.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pandaemonium main companion: In addition to everything else that has been said, Themis is introduced as "Confused Boy" - that is to say he's noticeably younger than the other Ancients we've been hanging around with. Which is also one of the traits we know about Elidibus.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Bozja: I feel like I'm losing my mind. I'm playing Bard in Bozja, why does my attack range randomly drop to 0? I've had longer attack ranges on melee characters, and it's driving me nuts.

E: I think I might have hosed up a character config thing.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 21, 2021

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

Pandaemonium main companion: In addition to everything else that has been said, Themis is introduced as "Confused Boy" - that is to say he's noticeably younger than the other Ancients we've been hanging around with. Which is also one of the traits we know about Elidibus.

Also, again he shows up in the stinger talking with Elidibus’s voice. At this point it would be a twist if he wasn’t our Elidibus.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

Bozja: I feel like I'm losing my mind. I'm playing Bard in Bozja, why does my attack range randomly drop to 0? I've had longer attack ranges on melee characters, and it's driving me nuts.

E: I think I might have hosed up a character config thing.

Do you have automatically turn to face enemy turned off

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dryzen posted:

Do you have automatically turn to face enemy turned off

Yeah, when I turned that back on after realizing it might be a config thing, it got fixed.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Everyone who predicted the queues would be worse today was absolutely right. Obviously I can't speak for the evening yet, but while the morning/early afternoon were still fine, the late afternoon queue is considerably worse than it was yesterday. Tbf yesterday was easily the best day since launch, and there's a pretty good chance it'll dwindle back pretty quickly given the weekly loot lockout, so it's not going to be like release again or anything.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Queue seems...faster I guess? Less people avoiding disconnects I guess?

In the 15 -20 minutes I've been on quueue its gone down around 500-600, usually I was getting about 1k an hour last week.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

It's LP Update time! Tune in to read all about me getting really unhappy at the story's direction for the first time, and then try to convince myself I was SUPPOSED to not be happy

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

New raid was fun, though the second fight was annoying because our healers had trouble staying alive.

I did enjoy the final pull on the last fight. Every pull in which you last long enough to get two LB3s is a good pull.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Hellioning posted:

New raid was fun, though the second fight was annoying because our healers had trouble staying alive.

I did enjoy the final pull on the last fight. Every pull in which you last long enough to get two LB3s is a good pull.

Two LB3s?? Crikey how long did your attempts last?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Man, that last fight is ROUGH.

Hey FF devs I would like it if you would take a break now on the "the outside of the boss arena auto kills you" now. That's enough of that.

Also Summoners get your FATASS TITAN OUT OF MY FACE :argh:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Macaluso posted:

No, you be nicer to my Titan! He's just here to help!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Man, that last fight is ROUGH.

Hey FF devs I would like it if you would take a break now on the "the outside of the boss arena auto kills you" now. That's enough of that.

/petsize is under your control, not theirs.

OTOH, all non-lala characters: get your assess out of my face, :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I want my screen filled with asses and explosions and titans (in my face)