Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Looking forward to it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Surprised Channel 4 let it go, unless it wasn't their decision?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Surprised the beeb had funds to poach anything.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
:siren:Hi All. Just jumping in the thread to remind everyone that our 2021 edition of the TVIV Poll is now open for submissions. We'd love to hear about your favourite shows of the year, and you might discover a new favourite while you're there. You can find the 10th Annual TVIV Viewers Poll there.

Didn't watch much 2021 TV? Never fear! To celebrate the fact that the poll has been going for 10 years, we're also running a Best TV shows of the last decade poll as well. Whether you lament the current TV landscape, just don't have time to watch much TV these days, or just love talking about your favourite shows, please jump in the thread and provide your lists.

The more people we have participating, the better it is for everyone! Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions.
:siren:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
bugger all on tv this christmas, isn't it :rolleye:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i got a smart-television, is there any good comedy worth watching?

i watched some of The Office on iPlayer and they've ruined it by putting an interview with mr gervais and other quite bad people at the start of each episode

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

People Just do Nothing
This Country
Both on iPlayer

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

All of Toast of London is on iplayer now. Also all of What We Do in The Shadows.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

All of Toast of London is on iplayer now. Also all of What We Do in The Shadows.

Fantastic, missed the latest series so catching up now.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Celebrity MasterChef Christmas special was fun because the judges had to be glowingly positive about even the most inept or half-hearted meals.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

15 Storeys High, one of the most criminally underwatched sitcoms of the early 2000s, is on iPlayer and very much worth your time.

The same applies to Catterick, which is all up on YouTube.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

crispix posted:

i got a smart-television, is there any good comedy worth watching?

i watched some of The Office on iPlayer and they've ruined it by putting an interview with mr gervais and other quite bad people at the start of each episode

If you have a problem with Ricky Gervais then why would you watch a show written by and starring Ricky Gervais

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Channel 4 has a new Jimmy Carr game show called "I Literally Just Told You," where half of the questions are written on the fly based on what has already happened in the show. In the final head-to-head, the contestants write questions for their opponent. It's just silly and logistically impressive enough to be a fun watch.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Dell_Zincht posted:

If you have a problem with Ricky Gervais then why would you watch a show written by and starring Ricky Gervais

I mean it's before he vanished up his own arse and started just asking people if they were offended

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Teddybear posted:

Channel 4 has a new Jimmy Carr game show called "I Literally Just Told You," where half of the questions are written on the fly based on what has already happened in the show. In the final head-to-head, the contestants write questions for their opponent. It's just silly and logistically impressive enough to be a fun watch.

Watched a bit of this, and I can't believe that people are as thick as poo poo not to remember stuff said to them just moments ago.
50 years ago you had people memorizing sports stats from the last century before for questions with no clues.
30 years ago you had people selecting the answer from four possible ones.
Now you have to remember what was said 10 minutes ago.
Like wtf.

Edit: Actually if they were intentionally drunk, it would be the funniest program ever.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Just have to think about it differently: game shows are meant to entertain the viewers, not the people playing them. People answering questions that 1% of the audience knows isn’t very fun to watch. But answering questions that 100% of the audience knows… now there an idea.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Taear posted:

I mean it's before he vanished up his own arse and started just asking people if they were offended

shock horror i'm also still fond of father ted!!!!! :aaa:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Yea it's not like those people don't still exist. It's just gameshows specifically now choose idiots to make it "more fun"

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
tbf loads of people's short term memory is loving atrocious, especially under pressure, so I don't think it's fair to label all of them as dunces.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Gee I just thought of a couple more: I remain fond of Monty Python and Fawlty Towers and I think John Cleese is a massive dickhead, and I remain fond of Blackadder and I think Stephen Fry is a bit of a tit

:siren:HYPOCRITE WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:siren: :aaa:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I suppose the sensible thing to do is to make a list of things I should ban myself from enjoying due to people being involved in their production whose views and behaviour it turns out I find objectionable

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

crispix posted:

I suppose the sensible thing to do is to make a list of things I should ban myself from enjoying due to people being involved in their production whose views and behaviour it turns out I find objectionable

That'll lead to a pretty joyless life I think.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Rohan Kishibe posted:

That'll lead to a pretty joyless life I think.

It's really not that hard.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

"The Mezzotint"

I can't believe it. Twenty years after The League of Gentlemen, Mark Gatiss has finally been involved in something good?? Made me wish wish BBC would do a whole series of 30 min long adaptations of old timey ghost stories.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

He also narrates The Man In Black radio series which is absolutely excellent.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Always nice to get a 5 pointer on only connect.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's cute that Jimmy Carr has put out his own cancelled/silenced special on Netflix despite having never actually upset anyone other than gammons who only knew him as the cheeky chappy from 8OO10C.

Also it's nice that he managed to have identical conversations with audience members sitting in the same seats as when I saw him two months ago, including the one he's currently enjoying headlines for. :v:

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

goatface posted:

Always nice to get a 5 pointer on only connect.

1: Whisky on the rocks?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
1: delays road construction in iceland

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

stev posted:

It's cute that Jimmy Carr has put out his own cancelled/silenced special on Netflix despite having never actually upset anyone other than gammons who only knew him as the cheeky chappy from 8OO10C.

Also it's nice that he managed to have identical conversations with audience members sitting in the same seats as when I saw him two months ago, including the one he's currently enjoying headlines for. :v:

I don’t think this is fair. Jimmy hasn’t complained at all about being silenced or cancelled, and the title is a reference to the dark humour and the obvious Pullman title gag.

The second charge though is much more interesting…

Edit: my wife informs me Carr was in that Bacon doc, in which case I’m perhaps slightly wrong…

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

thehustler posted:

I don’t think this is fair. Jimmy hasn’t complained at all about being silenced or cancelled, and the title is a reference to the dark humour and the obvious Pullman title gag.

The second charge though is much more interesting…

Edit: my wife informs me Carr was in that Bacon doc, in which case I’m perhaps slightly wrong…

I don't know if he's publicly said anything about it but the show is definitely angling for that sort of thing. This is the Netflix banner image (which I appreciate may not have been chosen by him):

It just comes across as sort of desperate.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Eh - yeah, that’s not a good look.

Let’s talk about the other thing though! I wonder how long that’s been happening…

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Well having to come up with those on the fly can be pretty taxing and we already know he's not the best there.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There is a programme about posh hotels on BBC2 and I firmly believe everyone involved should be against the wall.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Is it the one with Monica Galetti and Giles Coren?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yes.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
There seems to be an awful lot of these LOOK AT HOW RICH PEOPLE LIVE programs on Channel 4 at the moment. Britain's most expensive X!!!!!!!!

I suppose it's a bit less poo poo than 10 odd years ago when the trend was X and on benefits!!!!!!!! :/

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Slash posted:

People Just do Nothing
This Country
Both on iPlayer

I watched This Country and I loved it. The characters were developed brilliantly and it wasn't far off the mark of village life anywhere, really :3:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
by chance I just saw this picture of John Lydon and I'm just seeing Mandy after a quite bad GMTV makeover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah. It's uncanny.

Run before he breaks out the tattoos.