Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
China isn't very good at this; why can't they make her upload "impromptu" videos on her social media, you know just talking about how actually everything is OK and western journalists are hyping it all up. Instead all these appearances and official interviews appear ridiculously over stage managed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Is the figure in the statement true that it's around eighty percent of Tibetan children being placed in compulsory boarding education? What strength of evidence do we have for the general rate of boarding separation from family? What's the compulsory mechanism? What happens to families who resist?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Kavros posted:

Is the figure in the statement true that it's around eighty percent of Tibetan children being placed in compulsory boarding education? What strength of evidence do we have for the general rate of boarding separation from family? What's the compulsory mechanism? What happens to families who resist?

It's from chinese government data on childhood education. It's been that high for a while. Generally it's higher in china in more remote areas, but there are two regions in china where it is almost universally very high, even in urban areas. You can probably guess which two regions those are.

It's also true that boarding education is quite common in china, but there are two regions where it starts much earlier and is much, much more prevalent. and by more prevalent i mean like 2-3x more prevalent

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 20, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
American schools used to beat kids in Louisiana until they stopped speaking french and call it "teaching them english." I always considered it an improvement my teachers didn't care what language I spoke at home, but TIL it's actually the most leftist to do the first thing. Otherwise how could they learn the majority language and thrive?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Rabelais D posted:

China isn't very good at this; why can't they make her upload "impromptu" videos on her social media, you know just talking about how actually everything is OK and western journalists are hyping it all up. Instead all these appearances and official interviews appear ridiculously over stage managed.

I think it is because they don't want people to think she is OK. They don't want people to think that she had never been raped by a Party Official. It's not about creating a plausible lie.

The lie itself is enough. The truth, (that if you speak against the Party or one of it's members, you will be forced to recant and your life will become very difficult and constrained), needs to be seen and understood. And in this case it has been seen by the world.

But the lie itself is there for administrative purposes only. Not to convince anyone.

And another sad thing I was thinking about Peng Shuai. Nobody cares about the fact that she was raped. It is all about the fact that her rapist is a CCP higher up. If she was raped by, say her coach, or some rando, we would never have heard about it, nor would the Chinese government be falling overthemselves to deny it and further victimize her.

So yeah, CCP oppression is bad. But so is rape. And Peng Shuai is a victim of both.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BrigadierSensible posted:

And another sad thing I was thinking about Peng Shuai. Nobody cares about the fact that she was raped.

That's a big presumption.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's a big presumption.

Fair enough. Can I rephrase and say that nobody cares ENOUGH that she has been raped.

Coz political oppression, intimidation and censorship are all bad things to be sure.

But a woman was raped, and had the courage to speak out about it. This should be a bigger part of the story than it is.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

But a woman was raped, and had the courage to speak out about it. This should be a bigger part of the story than it is.

It is a big part of the story so I’m not sure what you think should be happening that’s different.

The WTA even asked to let her tell her story and let he be heard on the matter.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
i think the issue is when you say nobody, you're implying that every person with an opinion on it has the opinion for some ulterior (or otherwise) motive or reason, or at least that's how it reads?

Mostly, I think it's hard not to feel bad for her and doubly so because running into the absolute brickwall of futility that is trying to get any kind of justice against someone powerful is deeply relatable basically everywhere on the planet.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I will be very impressed if China can successfully navigate their real estate crisis and let international investors take a bath while looking out for the working class.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Judakel posted:

I will be very impressed if China can successfully navigate their real estate crisis and let international investors take a bath while looking out for the working class.

How do you think they might do this?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I have been thinking that this case of one high profile woman speaking out about her experience and getting this kind clampdown does definitely mean that there's probably a much larger iceberg underneath the surface of many women having similar or worse experiences with much less hope of being heard because they don't have any international attention.

I'm a bit uncomfortable about Peng Shuai personally and what might be best for her, because while international influence to shift China's treatment of its minorities is a longshot, affecting what they do to one person in particular seems even more of a longshot, especially if it's a hairy issue like this that even in western countries with more freedom of speech and more of a promise of fair courts is hard to resolve well. I think that while her example will be important to remember when paying attention to how the PRC handle's women's rights, the more it's remembered and the more international punishments on the state of China that are done in her name may lead to more reprisals against Peng Shuai personally.

Judakel posted:

I can imagine them screwing over international investors, but I can't see why you'd expect them to look out for the working class.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
There's a whole additional issue of how hosed up state athletic programs are in nearly every case (and I'm talking far beyond just china here, but also v much in china) and peng's account emphasizes a bunch of the major issues there, eg how she grew up immersed in sport very much to the exclusion of everything else and how not being able to socialize normally or form normal attachments caused her issues down the road and left her more vulnerable to abuse and unhealthy relationships. Which is exactly what you'd expect to happen when you remove a kid from their normal social milieu and plop them into an athletic program that takes priority over basically everything else.

the whole thing is just really sad on a bunch of levels.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Alchenar posted:

How do you think they might do this?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I can imagine them screwing over international investors, but I can't see why you'd expect them to look out for the working class.

Everything done so far has been aimed at collapsing private interests and seizing assets while shifting the losses unto speculators. They seem to be attempting a restructuring of the housing market towards people who buy a place to live, not speculation.

GlassElephant
Oct 25, 2009

Schwere Panzerabteilung 502
Discovered they were Glass Elephants, 27 APR 45

Kavros posted:

From the report:

quote:

Government figures for all students in China (including Tibetans) indicate that 14.1% of rural elementary school children are boarding. However, in the TAR alone (home to approximately 44% of Tibetans), that rate is more than five times higher, with 79.8% of elementary school children boarding. In comparison to individual provinces that are primarily Chinese but that, like Tibet, have large rural populations, there is still a 50-60% difference. In Henan, for example, an inland province that is 98.8% Chinese and largely rural, only 18.58% of elementary students are boarding.

Also from the same report:

quote:

Another Tibetan recounted a process of pressure and intimidation after their village opposed sending children in Grades 1-3 to boarding school. They described one of multiple visits from authorities:

Two heads from the township, the education head from the county as well as around six police officers attended. They said, “....Today is the last day we will come. If we have to come back tomorrow, it won't be good....You have been discussing this on WeChat, we have heard about this, and if you don't listen [to us] we will squeeze [pressure] you one by one. That is easy for us to do. If you continue to choose not to acknowledge this policy and refuse to send your children to the schools, we will consider this to be a protest....In our county there are many education projects coming from the province. If you don't listen you will ruin all those future plans. You will be held responsible for that.”

Radio Free Asia reported in September 2020 that in Rebkong (Chinese: Tongren), eastern Tibet, “local primary schools have been closed by government order, and Tibetan children are being forced against their parents’ wishes into boarding schools in areas far away.” They continue:

The Tibetan parents have appealed to Chinese authorities not to separate their children from them by sending them off to other regions for schooling and when the authorities did not heed their request, some of them staged a protest. The parents’ protest quickly triggered a crackdown by police, with police vehicles and blaring sirens responding quickly to the protest scene, and one male protester was taken into custody...[and] later released. The children’s parents were finally forced to send their children away to the Chinese government-designated boarding schools.

The government also closed hundreds of local schools. In many locations if you want you children to have any education whatsoever, you will need to send them to a boarding school.

quote:

From 2008-2011, 87 elementary and secondary schools were merged into 11 boarding schools based in the township and county seats. Most villages previously had either an elementary school or a teaching post.25 The number of elementary and secondary schools in the prefecture as a whole dropped from 372 to 66 in 2010.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
offshore bondholders will be bottom on the priority list, which is reflected appropriately in the low price of Evergrande bonds presently

the problem with reifying an attack on 'speculators' is that Evergrande's creditors are predominantly domestic state-owned banks. the speculators are dialling from inside the house. so besides inverting the normal equity-bondholder relationship in a restructure (!), it's tricky

ronya fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 21, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This was fairly interesting analysis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMD3_Sk-Ha0

International bondholders are going to have to suck up their losses, but the local credit and contagion risks don't go away as a result.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Rabelais D posted:

The point isn't for you, or anyone with two brain cells, to believe. The point is for anyone with two brain cells to comply or face the consequences. It's meant to be performative penance for embarrassing China. And, if the embarrassment continues, there will be further punishments. If international tennis doesn't back down, then Peng Shuai will suffer more.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

GlassElephant posted:

The government also closed hundreds of local schools. In many locations if you want you children to have any education whatsoever, you will need to send them to a boarding school.

So, as I am understanding it from the available sources and analysis, essentially a more intentionally retrogressive version of the implementation of the Indian Schools of the north americas, through the additional step of concertedly revoking and dismantling existing culturally integrated schooling systems to forcefully displace the children to a constructed assimilational environment. 80% is an impressively high number for total populace, too, and that's why I wanted to know if it was genuinely credible.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

The NHL is pulling it's players from Beijing 2022.

But no need to worry, they aren't doing it out of protest over anything that the CCP are doing to a prominent sportsperson, or any ongoing genocide they may be perpetrating or anything fun like that.

They are doing it because quarantine is hard, and if they go and play for their countries, they will miss too many games for their clubs, thus making these millionaire athletes not get paid for a few weeks.

I can't see this being a huge deal. (Maybe because I am from a non Ice Hockey playing country). Sure Ice Hockey enthusiasts will complain that the Olympic tournament has now been compromised, with the talent pool limited. But this will lead to your also-ran countries now having a chance at a medal, and if Canada etc. still send a team of non NHL players, it also allows non professional players to show their stuff on a big international stage, and possibly graduate up to the big leagues.

Also China/the CCP won't throw that big a tantrum because 1)they don't give a gently caress about Ice Hockey, 2)this means the Chinese team won't lose 35-0 as was likely if they went up against a full strength Sweden, and 3)it's not a political boycott.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It's probably better not to have NHL players in the olympics, even if it means we probably won't win. :canada:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Wistful of Dollars posted:

It's probably better not to have NHL players in the olympics, even if it means we probably won't win. :canada:

Surely a Canadian Ice Hockey player who isn't good enough to get into the NHL is still miles better than, say an Australian or UK Ice Hockey player good enough to make the national team?

Serious question. Ice Hockey is not my sport.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
nhl players are not all americans or playing for the US, hth

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Surely a Canadian Ice Hockey player who isn't good enough to get into the NHL is still miles better than, say an Australian or UK Ice Hockey player good enough to make the national team?

Serious question. Ice Hockey is not my sport.

just look at the results of the last Games without NHL players. Canadians are still good but not having the NHL players opens the field up for a lot more teams to compete. Just look at Germany last time.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

nhl players are not all americans or playing for the US, hth

Not once in my posts did I mention the US. Nor did the bloke who replied to me.

As far as I know all the good Ice Hockey players come from Canada, Sweden, Russia, and maybe Estonia(?)

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The NHL is pulling it's players from Beijing 2022.

But no need to worry, they aren't doing it out of protest over anything that the CCP are doing to a prominent sportsperson, or any ongoing genocide they may be perpetrating or anything fun like that.

They are doing it because quarantine is hard, and if they go and play for their countries, they will miss too many games for their clubs, thus making these millionaire athletes not get paid for a few weeks.

I can't see this being a huge deal. (Maybe because I am from a non Ice Hockey playing country). Sure Ice Hockey enthusiasts will complain that the Olympic tournament has now been compromised, with the talent pool limited. But this will lead to your also-ran countries now having a chance at a medal, and if Canada etc. still send a team of non NHL players, it also allows non professional players to show their stuff on a big international stage, and possibly graduate up to the big leagues.

Also China/the CCP won't throw that big a tantrum because 1)they don't give a gently caress about Ice Hockey, 2)this means the Chinese team won't lose 35-0 as was likely if they went up against a full strength Sweden, and 3)it's not a political boycott.

They didn’t send players last time either.

Is it really the players being greedy as you’ve framed it here, or the league being greedy like it was before? I imagine most players would love to play for their country, but I can see how covid makes it more annoying. The NHL took steps last time to prevent players from defying the ban.

Starks fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 21, 2021

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Starks posted:

They didn’t send players last time either.

Is it really the players being greedy as you’ve framed it here, or the league being greedy like it was before? I imagine most players would love to play for their country, but I can see how covid makes it more annoying. The NHL took steps last time to prevent players from defying the ban.

I will readily admit I don't know too much about the situation.

As in I didn't know the NHL didn't send players last time, and that the league itself took steps to stop players from leaving.

So yeah, as you describe it it sounds more like the NHL, (being the pinnacle of Ice Hockey in terms of talent and money), believing they are above national competitions/tournaments/the IOC etc.

Sorry for my ignorance. I just thought it was interesting that there was a player boycott of the games, and in light of the WTA stuff, and the US, UK etc diplomatic boycott, this one was based on the more base ideals of professional sports leagues.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
There are a bunch of professional leagues in Europe. Players for Canada/us etc. will get picked out of there.

Germany tends to have a strong team because the German league is pretty good and normally doesn't send loads of players to the nhl

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ilmucche posted:

There are a bunch of professional leagues in Europe. Players for Canada/us etc. will get picked out of there.

Germany tends to have a strong team because the German league is pretty good and normally doesn't send loads of players to the nhl

I don't think you "send" players to the NHL.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Get signed, whatever.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Get signed, whatever.

No I meant if they were any good as implied, NHL would've bought them.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't think you "send" players to the NHL.

Every country in Europe has to send one player to the NHL, as tribute.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No I meant if they were any good as implied, NHL would've bought them.

I don't think you "buy" players

In any case, responding to the initial post there are plenty of professional leagues in Europe for the us/Canada to put together decent squads and have a good tournament. Just not a best-on-best

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1473958744220483588

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tianment square never happened. CIA hoax basically

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm sure I'm about to get an opportunity to read about how Actually Nothing Bad Happened, Or If It Did Happen They Totally Deserved It.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The dead students were massacred for refusing to apologize for embarrassing China.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Tianment square never happened. CIA hoax basically

They should have left it up as a monument to the bravery of the pla troops who were savagely attacked by students

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
the degree to which the CPC refuses to engage in critical analysis of tiananmen square and instead straight up memory holes it is honestly really weird. the cpc has been entirely consistent with grappling with all the major actions the party has taken in the past (cultural revolution etc) and to fail to do so in this case is just weird as heck, frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Morrow posted:

The dead students were massacred for refusing to apologize for embarrassing China.

Secretly killed by the Taiwan military.

After all, there is historical precedent for them running over Chinese people with tanks.