Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Show us a picture of the peanut people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Barry Foster posted:

Neon Peanut Evangelion

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Show us a picture of the peanut people

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

I really loathe the whole "dark forest" crap that has become popular in recent years. Like most things, I think it says more about the person proposing it than it does about alien life. Like are we are so incapable of imagining an existence outside of perpetual war and exploitation?

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

Also, this recent KIC 846 drama underlines another point I was making. We had the Kepler telescope collecting data for only 9 years starting around 2009, and if i recall correctly it was imaging only about 100 square degrees of the sky, of just a limited part of our own galaxy. In that time, we've already discovered something (maybe several somethings?) totally unprecedented and unexpected that we still don't understand. And yet people still want to somehow say the universe is conclusiely cold and dead and devoid of life and we need to explain why, as if we've even scratched the surface of our own galactic neighborhood.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Oh Radar, you rascal

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Rickshaw posted:

I really loathe the whole "dark forest" crap that has become popular in recent years. Like most things, I think it says more about the person proposing it than it does about alien life. Like are we are so incapable of imagining an existence outside of perpetual war and exploitation?

i don't know, i see it as a logical argument built on the axiom that it's possible there's another form of life out there who is superior and hostile enough to pose an existential threat. probabilities don't figure into it. the fact that that possibility exists should be enough to dictate the way you interact with the greater universe until you've proven otherwise. the way cixin liu lays it out, while extremely cynical and pessimistic, makes sense to me.

to be fair though, i'm not sure if we can enough hide our biosphere from such a life form even if we thought it prudent. so much oxygen in our atmosphere aught to be a shining beacon for anyone willing to check our emission spectra

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chris Pistols posted:

Very fair point. Seems I've got my answer from that twitter account, though:

https://twitter.com/SandiaWisdom/status/1473313812237504515

the peanutties better gussy up their space ships to look like Santa's sleigh and fly across the earth on Christmas Eve. that will be a perfect way to mess with folks

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Hiding isn't much of an option given we've been happily radiating EM emissions for decades now and that's on top of the whole spectrum analysis as mentioned above.

Hostility doesn't need to be deliberate or ideological, it could easily be a byproduct or unintended consequence of actions that don't consider us a factor or an incomprehensible mentality that makes mutual understanding impossible.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

there's also the interpretation that our emissions spectra makes us the galactic equivalent of a colony of howler monkeys. anything out there both sees us and steers clear because there's nothing on our world that isn't abundantly available elsewhere on worlds not covered with psychotic apes. occasionally unmanned recon probes get sent in and they see that we continue to be bloodthirsty little shits but also not remotely threatening to anything capable of crossing the stellar gulf, so we're left alone until either something unique is discovered or we settle down

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hooplah posted:

i don't know, i see it as a logical argument built on the axiom that it's possible there's another form of life out there who is superior and hostile enough to pose an existential threat. probabilities don't figure into it. the fact that that possibility exists should be enough to dictate the way you interact with the greater universe until you've proven otherwise. the way cixin liu lays it out, while extremely cynical and pessimistic, makes sense to me.

I know you think this seems logical and reasonable but it is, in fact, the deranged raving of your paranoid monkey/lizard brain. Nothing about this is remotely axiomatic. It is entirely the result of growing up on this planet, in this dumb body, with this dumb brain.

My argument is that abandoning the paranoid insanity (trying to absorb the true vastness and especially scale of the universe helps) and moving to a species-wide attitude of cooperation and optimism is literally the only way to colonize the stars and build Dyson spheres or whatever. Any entity that's hostile in the way you're thinking of will self destruct like we are right now long before it can hurt anyone else.

It's pure projection.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rickshaw posted:

This is pretty much my take on it - it's an interesting thought experiment but i don't know that i take it seriously as an "explanation" for anything (cause the general assumptions are flawed).

That being said i do think it's funny cause guess what, humans have been in a "dark forest" situation before, in a literal dark forest. And how's that working out for the forests :smith:

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Slavvy posted:

I know you think this seems logical and reasonable but it is, in fact, the deranged raving of your paranoid monkey/lizard brain. Nothing about this is remotely axiomatic. It is entirely the result of growing up on this planet, in this dumb body, with this dumb brain.

My argument is that abandoning the paranoid insanity (trying to absorb the true vastness and especially scale of the universe helps) and moving to a species-wide attitude of cooperation and optimism is literally the only way to colonize the stars and build Dyson spheres or whatever. Any entity that's hostile in the way you're thinking of will self destruct like we are right now long before it can hurt anyone else.

It's pure projection.

There is literally no proof this is true. It is a naive assertion at best.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's about as good as any other explanation, for the time being

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

Hooplah posted:

Bah. Bah!

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Morning Light Mountain from the Commonwealth novels is an interesting concept along these lines. It's a civilization-entity that is relentlessly hostile to all other forms of life due to its own evolutionary conditions.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Chad Jihad posted:

It's about as good as any other explanation, for the time being

the point is that anyone saying "it can't be that" isn't basing that on data, because every time we upgrade our ability to look at the universe, we find multiple things that completely break our understanding of what is possible, so we just don't have the data to make any logical conclusions

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They could also be the goofiest poo poo ever.

I think if we're still sticking to predator/prey metaphors when we interact with them then well we're probably shooting ourselves in the foot, we don't know, anything is possible, there's no reason to think they're all hosed up or all cool or dangerous or whatever so for the time being you may as well just pick the flavor that appeals to you and/or helps you think about life

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

Douglas Hofstadter (of godel, escher, bach) was in charge of scientific american's mathematical games column for several years. At one point he became fascinated with the prisoner's dilemma, and after reviewing the research among game theorists and economists, he decided to conduct a large multi-person, single-round prisoner's dilemma game with 20 mathematician / economist friends. You can read the details here (pdf warning):

http://www2.econ.iastate.edu/tesfatsi/AxelrodComputerTournaments.ExcerptsFromHofstadterSciAmArticle.1983.pdf

quote:

Each of you is to give me a single letter: ‘C’ or ‘D’, standing for ‘cooperate’ or
‘defect’ This will be used as your move in a Prisoner’s Dilemma with each of the
nineteen other players. The payoff matrix I am Using for the Prisoner’s Dilemma
is given in the diagram [see Figure 29-1c.]

Thus if everyone sends in ‘C’, everyone will get $57, while if everyone sends in
‘D’, everyone will get $19.

His writing really does a good job of putting a fine point on how crazy this all is. One gets the feeling that a better world must be possible, and everyone agrees, yet everyone does the "rational" thing and defects, leading to a worse outcome. I think about this a lot.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Vernii posted:

Hiding isn't much of an option given we've been happily radiating EM emissions for decades now and that's on top of the whole spectrum analysis as mentioned above.

Hostility doesn't need to be deliberate or ideological, it could easily be a byproduct or unintended consequence of actions that don't consider us a factor or an incomprehensible mentality that makes mutual understanding impossible.

right, i was using hostility as shorthand for anything incompatible with us continuing to exist. it'd be incredibly naive to assume another life form would be comprehensible in any way.

e- also i wanted to mention i've heard the em emissions really aren't a big deal. because the strength of the signal drops off geometrically, the size of the telescope required to detect them quickly enter the "arbitrarily large" category

Slavvy posted:

It's pure projection.

i'm not saying the assertion is axiomatic. i'm saying the possibility there's something out there that poses an existential threat to us exists. that's the axiom. the possibility alone is enough to inform our choices. much in the same way the possibility of a gamma ray burst, or a future comet impact should inform our decision making. the possibility our whole planet could be sterilized at any moment by a star exploding across the galaxy is possible. it's not paranoid insanity to make choices to mitigate that. i think the dark forest argument is similar. the difference being that we know GRBs are out there. can't say the same for other life, but we exist, don't we? and we can be fairly destructive. and we don't have nearly enough knowledge of the universe to know an entity would self destruct in the way you're describing.

the real issue here is that the whole argument is moot, as we collectively aren't making decisions to guide us as a species towards survival. we're moving too fast for that. as usual, the answer comes down to that we need to move towards a social order focused on collective good so we can have a shot at surviving our innumerable existential threats. corporations aren't people, billionaires shouldn't exist, etc

Hooplah has issued a correction as of 20:31 on Dec 21, 2021

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

Neon Peanut Evangelion is about to occur

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Hooplah posted:

t'd be incredibly naive to assume another life form would be comprehensible in any way.

I can communicate with my cat, even though i can't actually speak with her or know her exact thoughts.

Why would aliens necessarily be any different? Maybe some are impossibly advanced and inscrutable, and maybe some aren't.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Dark Forest theory probably true but only because an alien race will detect us and put us down like we do with rabid animals in the forest

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

Rah! posted:

I can communicate with my cat, even though i can't actually speak with her or know her exact thoughts.

Why would aliens necessarily be any different? Maybe some are impossibly advanced and inscrutable, and maybe some aren't.

While I broadly agree, I also consider that this universe has historically produced such incomprehensibilities as when the first lungfish crawled out of the water not knowing that its descendants would some day produce goatse.cx

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Rah! posted:

i can communicate with my cat, even though i can't actually speak with her or know her exact thoughts

why would aliens necessarily be any different? Maybe some are impossibly advanced and inscrutable, andmaybe some aren't

you have a lot in common with your cat. a completely alien life form might not even distinguish between you and your cat. you might both be just "earth life"

we have no idea what form other life might take, and form dictates function. gently caress, we can't even settle on a proper definition of what life is. every definition we can come up with ends up being self-referential in some way if you dig deep enough.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Comedy star trek universe is true and all aliens are humanoid with two eyes, nose and mouth but funky hair and forehead features

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Hooplah posted:

you have a lot in common with your cat. a completely alien life form might not even distinguish between you and your cat

yeah

or maybe it would

Hooplah posted:

we have no idea what form other life might take

exactly!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm pretty optimistic about math being an on-ramp to communication with ETIs. But then maybe there's Slafrigs suffering from astral terror bombings on Zekron 3 because they won't accept that theres no such thing as a discrete entity therefore the concept of 1 is illogical mind poison

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

skewetoo posted:

Comedy star trek universe is true and all aliens are humanoid with two eyes, nose and mouth but funky hair and forehead features

convergent evolution

but its all crabs

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

telepathic crabs that like hats

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

:yeeclaw:

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Hooplah posted:

to be fair though, i'm not sure if we can enough hide our biosphere from such a life form even if we thought it prudent. so much oxygen in our atmosphere aught to be a shining beacon for anyone willing to check our emission spectra
Yeah I don't think there's any hiding. If there are older and more advanced parties out there keeping tabs on the universe they probably saw us coming at least several dozen species ago. If what Lue's been hinting at on some of these podcasts is true then some group(s) already hosed with us somewhere along the way.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Octopi erasure. The octopi have been battling the crabs for millennia

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Let's try it this way:

Our one and only assumption will be that the tabby's situation is, in fact, the result of ET activity.

If that's our starting point, it means we have two data points for intelligent life in the universe. One of those entities is currently constructing Dyson swarms across a large volume of space. The other is currently going extinct because of an inability to solve or prevent simple problems through cooperation. The latter also really fucken loves empires built on slavery and domination. I posit that slavery and domination are a dead end and that any entity capable of doing what we're seeing around tabby's will already know this and wouldn't concern itself with monkey brain paranoia about interstellar super predators or whatever.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

i love tjis guy

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Let's try it this way:

Our one and only assumption will be that the tabby's situation is, in fact, the result of ET activity.

If that's our starting point, it means we have two data points for intelligent life in the universe. One of those entities is currently constructing Dyson swarms across a large volume of space. The other is currently going extinct because of an inability to solve or prevent simple problems through cooperation. The latter also really fucken loves empires built on slavery and domination. I posit that slavery and domination are a dead end and that any entity capable of doing what we're seeing around tabby's will already know this and wouldn't concern itself with monkey brain paranoia about interstellar super predators or whatever.

At least as reasonable as dark forest enjoyers

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

skewetoo posted:

ugly bags of mostly water :argh:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

endocriminologist posted:

i love tjis guy

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Azathoth posted:

there's also the interpretation that our emissions spectra makes us the galactic equivalent of a colony of howler monkeys. anything out there both sees us and steers clear because there's nothing on our world that isn't abundantly available elsewhere on worlds not covered with psychotic apes. occasionally unmanned recon probes get sent in and they see that we continue to be bloodthirsty little shits but also not remotely threatening to anything capable of crossing the stellar gulf, so we're left alone until either something unique is discovered or we settle down

u can get natural resources anywhere, every planet and moon has sunrises to enjoy but boy howdy if u wanna really get on up inside a one-way digestive system, earth is where its at baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm partial to the idea that any sufficiently advanced civilisation will never even leave their home planet. If they are in equilibrium with their environment, and if they are at peace with their place in the universe, it may not even occur to them.

I'm also quite skeptical about the existence of dyson spheres and other such technological megastructures out there. My bet is that truly advanced technology is indistinguishable from nature - and we might not even recognise it if we were staring right at it.