Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Can't be, he's not nearly enough of a moping codependent whiner for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Cloacamazing! posted:

Can't be, he's not nearly enough of a moping codependent whiner for it.

Well... You SAY that, but...

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
He can't be Luna, he enjoyed having sex with someone other than Dominic and Luna isn't allowed to do that

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Midnight Voyager posted:

I don't think it's US exactly, but I don't know where exactly he gets non-positive feedback either. He definitely reacted to some that he got on Twitter, (re: Ink Witch) but he doesn't get very much actual criticism on twitter. And he kinda seems to resolve things that we question but the comic doesn't seem to have a problem with until the resolution. (I don't think it's uncommon criticism though! Like there's no way we are the only people having these problems with things.) I'd love to know what criticism he gives enough of a drat about to respond to.

I doubt there's any of that on the Patreon hidden from us. Those people pay for it, right?

Nowhere. In the past, any time one of his fora became less then laudatory, he abandoned and/or nuked it and it saw the light and realized how terrible his comic was. Almost no one is reading Legacy, and the people who are are certainly not complimenting him, beyond the pathetic 2 or 3 sycophants who like his odd twitter posts. When someone does something like ask a question about one of the many elements in the comic that do not make sense, Mookie writes a pissy blog post about mean poopie head trolls, so I don't see why you'd assume a source of non-positive feedback actually exists.

Hostile V posted:

Actual intrigue or lovely cliffhanger? Why not both.

This is ridiculous. Dominic is so well known, Snout has primary source docs from his grad students talking about their magical studies and crap together. Even if it is just lowly Luna, basic biographical information about him a mere 200 years later in this completely modern setting with electric guitars, blue jeans, and superhero comic books would exist. It'd be like if everyone knew who Lincoln was but not that he was married to Mary Todd. It's impossible.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've never heard of Mary Todd.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

There's an interesting thing in real life history where something that is sufficiently common knowledge is now Lost, because, well, it was common knowledge. Everyone knows it. Why would you write down such a basic fact? The Land of Punt is one such example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_of_Punt. A huge and prominent trading partner with Egypt, referenced everywhere, and no one today is sure where it was. Because, thousands of years ago, no one thought to write it down (or if it was, the writings were lost.)

This is an interesting concept and, in the hands of a good storyteller, can be an interesting mystery. Dominic is so prominent, but mythologized; everyone who wrote about him mentioned Luna as being important, but not who she was or why, because, well, everyone knew that. Snout having to figure it out (while we, the audience, know) could be done well. Imagine clues and tidbits of who she was and what she did, taken out of context and then misinterpreted, in a way that builds until one key fact puts it all into place and Snout has an epiphany!

There are several problems with this.

The first is, of course, that Mookie isn't a good storyteller and doesn't put even a micron of the thought necessary to pull off that kind of plotting into his work.

The second is that this kind of loss of knowledge takes place over millennia, and Legacy only takes place 200 years later. That's like saying a huge and prominent fact of history was forgotten in the span of like, three generations. That's not even accounting for the fact that the Deegans had associates like the golems and the tree spirit or whatever who can, presumably, live for hundreds of years. It's plausible that there are still people around in Legacy who just, knew the Deegans personally.

The third is that this kind of loss of knowledge is more typical in an area where, literacy and the ability to write at all are much more restricted. The Deeganverse has public goddamn libraries, both in Dominic's time and in Snout's. The dude is a feral mongrelman living in the middle of nowhere and he still knows how to read and write.

And anyway, I 100% believe that at some point in the future there will be a "shocking reveal" that the OG Dominic Deegan comic is now an in-universe real comic made by someone like Gregory in his later years. Probably massively popular, too, which will beg the question of why Snout was checking the historical reference sections and not the children's books.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, TBF, if someone mentioned the name Mary Todd I wouldn't immediately recognize her as Lincoln's wife.

But OTOH if I was researching Lincoln you'd think the name would come up at least once or twice.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

YF-23 posted:

I think it's just the page being wet from the swamp.

I suspect it's meant to be Snout drooling.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

There could be an interesting plot here involving lost knowledge - I THOUGHT that's where he was going with the Redactor, like she was stealing + erasing the written text about Dominic and what he did with the heard of magic so she can reverse-engineer what he did and claim all magic for herself or something. But instead we're given a vague description of her nasty deeds, and since then she hasn't even been MENTIONED in several chapters. If that is where the plot is heading, so far there's no indication - they just kinda went to a pretty well-stocked library and it didn't have much about Dominic because... Well, they don't explain why, but again there's no indication it's due to her.

And NOW they're in a town that may not even have a library because orc guy wants to resurrect his dead GF? Which has nothing to do with anything? And doesn't even make sense, given the now low-magic setting (well except for the loving INK SHIP which seems pretty god drat high magic to me). If that's the way the plot will go then where the gently caress is the plot.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Seems like he's found at least a significant chapter in his research about Luna, and nowhere in that book did it mention that she wasn't an Orc?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

maltesh posted:

Seems like he's found at least a significant chapter in his research about Luna, and nowhere in that book did it mention that she wasn't an Orc?

For Mookie's comics, what has been put on the page in the past is always secondary to he currently thinks today.

I'd say he has forgotten Snout ever read about Luna. I'm not joking, I don't think he remembers what he writes ever

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I thought it was pretty explicitly clear (to the audience) what Dominic did to the heart magic at the end of the comic, isn't it? Again, I'm not as much of a Deegan scholar as some here, so I may be wrong.
IIRC (we're never gonna get there in the re-read beezelbufo was doing :( ) all we learned was that spontaneous visions were now over. The comic suggested a few times that they were Important somehow but never backed that up with anything, as i recall. Like, how we were told that every race had their first visions all on the same day, eh, eh? but never informed why that mattered.

The comic ended before we saw any actual consequences of what Dominic did.

EDIT: Wait, no, magic was going to stop being dominated by humans (which IIRC we hadn't really seen that this was happening before we were suddenly told it was in the last few arcs in the comic) but again, comic ended before we could see how this actually worked

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Billy Gnosis posted:

For Mookie's comics, what has been put on the page in the past is always secondary to he currently thinks today.

I'd say he has forgotten Snout ever read about Luna. I'm not joking, I don't think he remembers what he writes ever

It doesn't help that every book in this world is printed in size 48 font, so that's probably all the information on Luna in that book at all.

Also I love the line "they could not escape the call of classification". What the gently caress are you talking about Mookie?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

It doesn't help that every book in this world is printed in size 48 font, so that's probably all the information on Luna in that book at all.

Also I love the line "they could not escape the call of classification". What the gently caress are you talking about Mookie?

It's more rote force-feeding of morality from Mookie. "Orc one people GOOD! But putting labels on people... BAD." Quite fortunate that Snout picked out all the books that have the correct (Mookie's) moral standing!

But, like, all we have to go on as far as that being bad is that paragraph saying it's bad. Why is it bad to call a half-orc, half-halfling "Orkling"? Like, what else would you call them? That's literally the name of their race. As for the other names (Ikshi, Horkal, etc.), we don't know anything about them, so we've just got the word of this one book (and therefore Mookie) that using those names is BAD. Is there some kind of caste system? Do they face discrimination? We don't know!

Also let's just ignore the fact that there's literally a rebel separatist group who want to eat the sentient veggies. So, uh, not really one people, are they?

BTW, is anyone keeping up the bingo card? We can check off "Manipulating people is good". The Chandrak is a classic Deeganesque puppeteer, it seems.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 20, 2021

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Billy Gnosis posted:

Except we know Snout remembers that very page, because when the unnamed chandak lady first showed him the name, the quote from the book Snout read literally appeared over his head:

While he was standing in Lake Aroa. Which was created by the Great Rebirth. Which was caused by Luna. Who the unnamed chandak lady who spends all day in the lake, dispensing visions and handjobs, just mentioned.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Y'all don't have to look for things to criticize here, Mookie is simply following examples set down by major religions. We always know more about the central figure - Jesus, Mohammed, Dominic Deegan - but know nothing of their companions.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I don't know if you're trying to make a joke or something but stories about random NPCs in Jesus' story is pretty much the Marvel Cinematic Universe for the entire western world between roughly the fall of Rome and the Renaissance.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Y'all don't have to look for things to criticize here, Mookie is simply following examples set down by major religions. We always know more about the central figure - Jesus, Mohammed, Dominic Deegan - but know nothing of their companions.

Im not even christian and I know the name of jesus's parents, GF, the (important) apostles, the zombie he raised, and the dude that sentenced him to death. I also know all the guys in the fellowship of the ring. If it was asking who was jesus's 3rd cousin that would be one thing but not knowing Dominic's wife?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

SubG posted:

I don't know if you're trying to make a joke or something but stories about random NPCs in Jesus' story is pretty much the Marvel Cinematic Universe for the entire western world between roughly the fall of Rome and the Renaissance.

The Acts of Thomas owns.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Bismuth posted:

Im not even christian and I know the name of jesus's parents, GF, the (important) apostles, the zombie he raised, and the dude that sentenced him to death. I also know all the guys in the fellowship of the ring. If it was asking who was jesus's 3rd cousin that would be one thing but not knowing Dominic's wife?
And circa two centuries after Jesus there were multitudes of texts out there about what are now considered minor figures--Joseph of Arimathea, Pilate, Nicodemus, Dismas and Gestas, and so on. You had gospels attributed to James, Thomas, Judas, a different one attributed to Matthew, Barnabas, Peter, and so on.

And these weren't obscure works, they were known and discussed by Irenaeus, Eusebius, and all those guys, in ways that indicate that they had access to many additional texts that are now lost. And they were lost not because they were just forgotten about, but because they were actively suppressed as heterodox (years later, after the Church developed the concept of orthodoxy in the first place).

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

In the context of the orcs it's Luna that is the major religious figure, and somehow we're meant to think that the orcs didn't bother to mention her relationship to Dominic Deegan in all those books Snout read in the orc library about her when he was meant to be reading about Dominic Deegan.

Rather than the alternative that Snout is a really, really, really lovely researcher.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Snout staring blankly into space while Marge Simpson says "Luna the Watercaller" over and over.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rather than the alternative that Snout is a really, really, really lovely researcher.
Snout's illiterate.
'This is because he is deaf,'
says Mookie. 'Rock on.'

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

In the context of the orcs it's Luna that is the major religious figure, and somehow we're meant to think that the orcs didn't bother to mention her relationship to Dominic Deegan in all those books Snout read in the orc library about her when he was meant to be reading about Dominic Deegan.

As little as it'd make sense, I think it would be funny if the average orc didn't know his name because they didn't give a poo poo about him, and to them his only identity and personality was Luna's Husband. Would be a nice reversal from how Dominic-centered the narrative in DD usually was.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

MiracleFlare posted:

As little as it'd make sense, I think it would be funny if the average orc didn't know his name because they didn't give a poo poo about him, and to them his only identity and personality was Luna's Husband. Would be a nice reversal from how Dominic-centered the narrative in DD usually was.

That just means we'll get a 'makes you think!' scene where Snout discovers that Dominic did all these awesome things, but nobody talks about it because he's not an orc and he has to snoutsplain why this is racism to the orcs.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The Acts of Thomas owns.

Infancy Gospel of Thomas is the real poo poo.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

Infancy Gospel of Thomas is the real poo poo.
Yeah, I think it's the gospel where Jesus racks up the most kills.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Count me in camp makes no sense it isn't common knowledge who Luna is. If Dominic Deegan were a regular medieval fantasy world sure but even two hundred years ago they had printing presses to mass produce texts, cameras to take photographs and an already functioning library system. Her father in law was the last great white orc savior, Dominic Deegan's dad. That's not even getting into the fact Luna comes from a huge and prominent Callanian family and then later becomes a loving archmage. It was only 200 years ago! Snout may not know because he's a complete dunce who doesn't think to ask any of his smarter friends for publicly available knowledge but the vast majority of orcs must be aware that their prophet is a white woman from Michigan.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Who is this Martha person and what is her connection to George Washington?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

TheHan posted:

Count me in camp makes no sense it isn't common knowledge who Luna is. If Dominic Deegan were a regular medieval fantasy world sure but even two hundred years ago they had printing presses to mass produce texts, cameras to take photographs and an already functioning library system.
And we know that written records were preserved from Dominic's time to Snout's because Snout's local library is literally full of books personally donated to the library by Dominic Deegan himself. That's why Snout recognises the name in the first place.

And for that matter Snout gets access to the special collections in the Maltak library because of rules laid down personally by Dominic Deegan, and the library has a fuckin' note on the wall explaining it.

So it's not just that they had books and a library system 200 years ago, it's that Snout's constantly tripping over literally the same ones that came from Dominic's hand.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I can't remember enough of late Oracle for Hire to know if Dominic specifically was given public recognition for his role in defeating the big bads, but the Deegans in general should be world-famous! spoilers in case anyone cares Jacob saved countless lives from necromantic blight, and Miranda personally fought the king who tried to kill the whole world. If nothing else I feel like it'd be worth a mention that the Watercaller was the daughter-in-law and heir to the world's last remaining archmage.

About the only thing I can think of is if there's been some widespread conspiracy to suppress history, so that only a few overlooked books and visions are what's left of the Legacy of Dominic Deegan™. And I don't think that could work if Dominic himself sponsored the libraries, unless for some reason he's covering his own tracks.

Unrelated to any of that, when I was re-reading the library book arc I misread something and I knew I had to make it into reality to reflect recent events

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

MiracleFlare posted:

About the only thing I can think of is if there's been some widespread conspiracy to suppress history, so that only a few overlooked books and visions are what's left of the Legacy of Dominic Deegan™. A

Yeah, again, it SEEMED like that was what was being set up with the Redactor. But she's been MIA from the comic for, like, a year. Not even a mention of her or speculation it's her fault they can't find the books they need.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Just imagine that your savior is named after an energy bar. (Or the moon, I guess.)

E: then again, Jesus translates out to Josh in the end.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

MiracleFlare posted:

Unrelated to any of that, when I was re-reading the library book arc I misread something and I knew I had to make it into reality to reflect recent events

Not sure what this means but I had to do it, sorry.

DicktheCat posted:

E: then again, Jesus translates out to Josh in the end.
Our saviour, king of kings, The 'Shua.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

DicktheCat posted:

Just imagine that your savior is named after an energy bar. (Or the moon, I guess.)

Presumably she's named after the goddess of the Lunalian faith, but who the gently caress knows? It's not like Mookie ever cared enough to give his Fantasy not-Catholic Church any detail.

It's equally (if not more) likely that she's named after the cat from Sailor Moon.

VVV Thanks, scratch that then. I didn't care enough to look it up. 100% confirmed Luna is named after the cat from Sailor Moon.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 21, 2021

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Um It's the Luanian faith. The prophet Luana. There's really no reason for her name Luna. I actually like the mom's name, Croona, more.

And I'm going to restart my readthrough tonight. Like I said I just didn't feel like I could insert something into the Snout sexcapade arc because the thread was moving too fast

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

TheHan posted:

Count me in camp makes no sense it isn't common knowledge who Luna is. If Dominic Deegan were a regular medieval fantasy world sure but even two hundred years ago they had printing presses to mass produce texts, cameras to take photographs and an already functioning library system. Her father in law was the last great white orc savior, Dominic Deegan's dad. That's not even getting into the fact Luna comes from a huge and prominent Callanian family and then later becomes a loving archmage. It was only 200 years ago! Snout may not know because he's a complete dunce who doesn't think to ask any of his smarter friends for publicly available knowledge but the vast majority of orcs must be aware that their prophet is a white woman from Michigan.

As a Michigander I am extremely insulted your trying to hoist Luna onto us.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Same

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Is it petty that it drives me insane that Snout writes in a brush, but Mookie hasn't bothered to:

A) get a proper brush tool to use for it (or just use the already really good defaults if he's using csp)

Or

B) get a proper brush script font

Neither of these are hard. There are even lots of fonts or brushes that are perfect and free for all use, no strings attached. Like, folks make them and put them out for fun or practice, even I've made a few custom brushes. Money is not an excuse here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
We've posited that Snout writes with a brush because of anime, but after my own observation that his house contains exactly the three objects he interacts with before it all gets blown up and not so much as a single strand of thread more, I honestly kind of suspect it's because he needed a writing implement he could use to write on the floor in the scene where he was first conversing with the Ink Witch.

Now, the Ink Witches' giant ink brush brooms, those are anime.

And now I've gone and thought about the part where Snout looks for the ship by running out of his house and staring straight ahead again.

Emrikol fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 22, 2021