Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Main Paineframe posted:

If it's more transmissible than Delta but has less severe outcomes than Delta, then that's better than being more transmissible but just as severe.

I don't think anyone is disputing this idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/mrc-global-infectious-disease-analysis/covid-19/report-49-Omicron/

quote:

Summary

[...]

Hospitalisation and asymptomatic infection indicators were not significantly associated with Omicron infection, suggesting at most limited changes in severity compared with Delta.

To estimate the impact of Omicron on vaccine effectiveness (VE) for symptomatic infection we used conditional Poisson regression to estimate the hazard ratio of being an Omicron case (using SGTF definition) compared with Delta, restricting our analysis to symptomatic cases and matching by day, region, 10-year age band, sex and ethnicity. We found a significant increased risk of an Omicron case compared to Delta for those with vaccine status AZ 2+weeks post-dose 2 (PD2) , Pfizer 2+w PD2, AZ 2+w post-dose 3 (PD3) and PF 2+w PD3 vaccine states with hazard ratios of 1.86 (95%CI: 1.67-2.08), 2.68 (95%CI: 2.54-2.83), 4.32 (95%CI: 3.84-4.85) and 4.07 (95%CI: 3.66-4.51), respectively, where PD3 states are categorised by the dose 1/2 vaccine used. Depending on the Delta VE estimates used (10), these estimates translate into Omicron VE estimates of between 0% and 20% PD2 and between 55% and 80% PD3 against Omicron, consistent with other estimates (11). Similar estimates were obtained using genotype data, albeit with greater uncertainty.
[...]

Good info, but bad news. Turns out Omicron may not be that much milder than Delta after all!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Judakel posted:

Does higher transmissibility render any "mildness" moot?

https://twitter.com/SteveMillerOC/status/1472642860176400387

The overlaid waves really helped visualize the possible hospitalization wave.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Good info, but bad news. Turns out Omicron may not be that much milder than Delta after all!

The math from the linked report seems to be that there is 24 hospitalized cases out of ~1300 which is about 2% hospitalization, while non-omicron is 15063 out of 207555 which is ~7%. then the logic I guess is that because the number is so small the uncertainty is large so 2% could equal 7% in a larger sample.

Like it's not wrong, that is good statistics. But I mean. there being too few cases for the statistics to work is pretty:

95% confidence the hospitalization rate is 0.61-1.47 as much as non-omicron.

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 21, 2021

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/mrc-global-infectious-disease-analysis/covid-19/report-49-Omicron/

The full text notes that data is still pretty limited at this point.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Here in Québec, the government imposed severe restrictions yesterday (most non-essential businesses closed), and the premier is set to make another announcement tomorrow that everyone assumes will be the re-imposition of last winter's conditions (everything closed except for schools and businesses selling essential supplies, complete ban on seeing anyone outside your own household, curfew from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.).

My fiancée was extremely depressed all of last winter, and given that we're going back to those conditions AND we have to cancel our wedding/honeymoon again, she's in a very dark place right now. She's asked me multiple times if there's even a point to going on, since the virus is just going to keep mutating and it seems like there's no way out of this - and frankly, I didn't even know what to tell her. I can't see how this will ever end.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Fritz the Horse posted:

The full text notes that data is still pretty limited at this point.

The report is also from 5 days ago, so the next one should be good.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Has the Overton window shifted so much that because *some* evidence suggests Omicron is less severe than Delta that folks are just going to ignore that it is still just as bad, if not worse, than the original strand?

It is starting to look as if the media and powers that be believe that if a destructive variant is born and spreads, anything “less severe” is suddenly a sigh of relief. Seems bad.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

St. Dogbert posted:

Here in Québec, the government imposed severe restrictions yesterday (most non-essential businesses closed), and the premier is set to make another announcement tomorrow that everyone assumes will be the re-imposition of last winter's conditions (everything closed except for schools and businesses selling essential supplies, complete ban on seeing anyone outside your own household, curfew from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.).

My fiancée was extremely depressed all of last winter, and given that we're going back to those conditions AND we have to cancel our wedding/honeymoon again, she's in a very dark place right now. She's asked me multiple times if there's even a point to going on, since the virus is just going to keep mutating and it seems like there's no way out of this - and frankly, I didn't even know what to tell her. I can't see how this will ever end.

Is there actual enforcement on this? In the US, we had restrictions like this but only on paper and it was trivial to cross state lines to where the bars etc were all open. You guys could take a vacation to sunny Florida and avoid basically all restrictions and seasonal depression.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Has the Overton window shifted so much that because *some* evidence suggests Omicron is less severe than Delta that folks are just going to ignore that it is still just as bad, if not worse, than the original strand?

It is starting to look as if the media and powers that be believe that if a destructive variant is born and spreads, anything “less severe” is suddenly a sigh of relief. Seems bad.

The "ceiling" of covid seems to fall far short of disrupting society to the point that elites are inconvenienced, so it's basically a non-issue. We're all part of a black box that funnels girls and luxury goods up into their insatiable maw and as long as that keeps going who cares what happens inside the box.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Denmark Covid Cases
------------------------------------
Dec 21 13,558 new cases, 501 reinfections, 121 new hospitalization (-27 net), +1 ICU, +2 ventilator, 17 dead
Dec 20 10,082
Dec 19 8,212
Dec 18 8,594
Dec 17 11,194
Dec 16 9,999
Dec 15 8,773

Currently 554 hospitalized (-27), of which 67 in ICU (+1), of which 35 (+2) are vented. (https://www.sst.dk/en/english/corona-eng/status-of-the-epidemic/covid-19-updates-statistics-and-charts)

Fun new stat: Breakthrough infections https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/aa41b29149f24e20a4007a0c4e13db1d/page/Gennembrud/

Since yesterday, rates per 100,000 population
pre:
                       Unvaccinated              Partial           Full
New cases:                    270.1                226.2          207.8
Hospitalizations:              32.9                 14.3            7.5
Not sure full means boosted - don't think it does. So 2 shots reduces your chance of catching it a bit but does reduce hospitalization so far.

Also, omicron is still hovering in the mid-40s in PCR tests.

Date Percent Omicron (number of omicron out of all pcr)
20DEC2021 100,00 (5/5 tests)
19DEC2021 43,66 (62/142)
18DEC2021 45,94 (1263/2749)
17DEC2021 43,29 (1632/3770)
16DEC2021 45,76 (3480/7605)

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 21, 2021

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Rust Martialis posted:

Not sure full means boosted - don't think it does. So 2 shots reduces your chance of catching it a bit but does reduce hospitalization so far.

If it didn't we'd be utterly hosed, rather than simply mildly so.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Wang Commander posted:

Is there actual enforcement on this? In the US, we had restrictions like this but only on paper and it was trivial to cross state lines to where the bars etc were all open. You guys could take a vacation to sunny Florida and avoid basically all restrictions and seasonal depression.

I don't think there's anywhere where the bars are totally open with no restrictions except...maybe Alberta? But that probably won't last long and either way that's at least a 3 day drive from Quebec, prob closer to 4.

Closest to Quebec would be Ontario where bars and restaurants are only open until 10pm there's capacity limits again, no food and drink at theatres and sports venues and other events, masking indoors, etc... And I wouldn't be surprised if that got even tighter after Christmas.

Like are there constant enforcement checks? Not really. But on the whole people have been a lot better at complying up here even if it hasn't been perfect.

Theoretically I guess you could go to the US since you only need a molecular test to return but the feds have been heavily hinting this could change at a moment's notice and it's your own drat fault if you're out of the country and get stranded as a result.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 21, 2021

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Wang Commander posted:

The "ceiling" of covid seems to fall far short of disrupting society to the point that elites are inconvenienced, so it's basically a non-issue. We're all part of a black box that funnels girls and luxury goods up into their insatiable maw and as long as that keeps going who cares what happens inside the box.

Sure seems that way.

I wonder what the lesser of two evils is doing about it:

https://twitter.com/mstratford/status/1473361814071226370?s=20

Looks like anyone talking about harm reduction in 2020 may finally be able to prove their point!

Wait…how does this help against covid?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Business restrictions have had pretty high compliance in Canada, to the point where it's news if a place is defying them (at least in urban centres, I'm sure there's much less compliance remotely and no one ever hears about it).

Closures more so than stuff like vaccine passports, where there was much less compliance and a bit of open defiance.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
New model from SSI

https://en.ssi.dk/-/media/cdn/files/scenarios-for-infections-and-new-admissions-caused-by-the-omicron-variant_201221.pdf?la=en

This is the week that will see where the curve goes.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Looks like anyone talking about harm reduction in 2020 may finally be able to prove their point!

"Administration backtracks on wildly stupid policy after an overwhelming outcry" speaks for itself and you don't need to recontextualize it around COVID to make them look silly. Omicron gives them an excuse to look like they rethought it based on new information rather than rethinking it based on half their base yelling at them for being idiots.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

In the case of Quebec worth pointing out the government enacting those "harsh rules" has no support in the cities where it will be applied especially Montreal and none among the demographics who'll be hurt by it

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

An impressively thorough rebuttal of an argument no one here made in the first place.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Theoretically I guess you could go to the US since you only need a molecular test to return but the feds have been heavily hinting this could change at a moment's notice and it's your own drat fault if you're out of the country and get stranded as a result.

Can they lock you out under your constitution or just make you quarantine to get back in? Could be worth it in your circumstances

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Wang Commander posted:

Can they lock you out under your constitution or just make you quarantine to get back in? Could be worth it in your circumstances

If you're Canadian and can set foot in Canada, then no, you can't be made to leave.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Wang Commander posted:

For re-entry into Canada, you must present a negative PCR test taken no more than 72 hours prior to entry, and it must have been administered outside of Canada. Canadians re-entering via international flights must also take a second PCR test at the airport upon arrival, then quarantine until such time as a negative result is returned.

fartman
Sep 19, 2021

Wang Commander posted:

Last winter there was. I recall there were $5k fines for being outside your home without the right papers, and police stops on the highway between regions. I would suppose it's possible that compliance and enforcement might be eroded this time around, but never underestimate the SPVM's and SQ's penchant for being dicks!

That said, last time around most of the more punishing restrictions were relegated to the greater Montreal area.

fartman fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 21, 2021

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Wang Commander posted:

Lock you out? No as others have said they can't do that.

Make you quarantine and possibly foot the bill? Yeah that they can do. But again the issue is if you can set foot in Canada. Last time flights were basically mass cancelled on short notice from what I recall. Driving down may be possible sure but that's a long loving way to go.

All in all it's not something that anyone sane would consider worth it unless you had family down there you urgently needed to see or something. That's a whole lot of work, time, and money to go to a bar after 10PM.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Make you quarantine and possibly foot the bill? Yeah that they can do.

They can make you quarantine, but they are almost certainly on the hook for the bill if they want to make you do it in a particular place. The federal government has consistently had a champagne taste and beer budget on this particular item (presumably on purpose, to make people think that traveling may cause them to be faced with unpredictably and arbitrarily high costs).

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

All in all it's not something that anyone sane would consider worth it unless you had family down there you urgently needed to see or something. That's a whole lot of work, time, and money to go to a bar after 10PM.

I'd say, at this point, that not having regularly seen my relatively small family is a good enough reason to go down to see them. As a bonus, I get to get a booster shot this week, and not wait six weeks for it back in Ontario. But you're right about it being a long loving way to drive—not worth it just so you can go to a bar, which I still wouldn't at this point. At least outdoor dining is possible on the warmer days.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Judakel posted:

I don't think anyone is disputing this idea.

It depends how much more transmissible it is.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Sure seems that way.

I wonder what the lesser of two evils is doing about it:

https://twitter.com/mstratford/status/1473361814071226370?s=20

Loans were set to resume Jan 31st. Wow the Dems sure did us a favor extending it to Feb 1st.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Loans were set to resume Jan 31st. Wow the Dems sure did us a favor extending it to Feb 1st.
They are considering "postponing the plan to restart payments on February 1st", not "postponing the plan to restart payments" to February 1st.

Twitter made it somewhat more confusing because people leave out prepositions because Twitter is stupid trash.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

You read that wrong. It's not until Feb 1st, it's changing the plan that's currently to restart Feb 1st.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Really, if you are reading "the White House is very seriously considering moving the resumption of payments by one day, and this is a news story" maybe apply some critical thinking and realize you're probably not reading things right.

I won't shame you specifically for not clicking the link because "Politico Pro" lolol

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Bit of whiplash there, going from "there isn't enough evidence to assume it's less bad" to "I know for a fact it's as bad or worse".

the part that matters to me personally is booster effectiveness and so far that's looking good

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Bit of whiplash there, going from "there isn't enough evidence to assume it's less bad" to "I know for a fact it's as bad or worse".

the part that matters to me personally is booster effectiveness and so far that's looking good

SSI models in DK assume a 1 week lag from testing positive to hospitalization. It's been about a week since omicron got up to 45% in DK and so this is the week it starts to seriously impact hospitalization, they expect.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1473402362962354192?s=21

Ugh.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Chicago vaccine mandate announced.

Effective Jan 3rd

https://twitter.com/ChiPublicHealth/status/1473377407998464001?t=JDlX7_25o_wLtJKGJKf6Hg&s=19

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 21, 2021

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm sure this has been mentioned but I had J&J March 17th and just got my Moderna booster like 30 minutes ago.

Should I have lied and said I wasn't vaccinated and act like I'm starting from the beginning and gotten a Moderna - 1st shot?

Now that I have a moderna booster should I boost again in 3 weeks to be safer?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I really hate how vague the term fully vaccinated is because this will do nothing if 2 doses are nearly useless against Omicron, right?
We need to be requiring boosted status as the minimum, otherwise it's all just for show.

On that note, I'm really stressed right now because a cameraman at my job where we're almost all boosted just tested positive and he was on-set yesterday. I work in a cramped control room and even though we all wear masks (I go KN95+cloth+face shield), I just know it's coming for me this week. I'm hosed.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

kiimo posted:

I'm sure this has been mentioned but I had J&J March 17th and just got my Moderna booster like 30 minutes ago.

Should I have lied and said I wasn't vaccinated and act like I'm starting from the beginning and gotten a Moderna - 1st shot?

no

no

don't be a dumbass

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

kiimo posted:

I'm broadly opposed to lying about vaccine status, and that goes triple if you're enrolled in v-safe or your country's equivalent vaxx tracker, which you should do.

I'm not up on particular recommendations re jnj havers, most everyone I know in person got pfizer or moderna nanobots.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

I really hate how vague the term fully vaccinated is because this will do nothing if 2 doses are nearly useless against Omicron, right?
We need to be requiring boosted status as the minimum, otherwise it's all just for show.

On that note, I'm really stressed right now because a cameraman at my job where we're almost all boosted just tested positive and he was on-set yesterday. I work in a cramped control room and even though we all wear masks (I go KN95+cloth+face shield), I just know it's coming for me this week. I'm hosed.

My understanding is that preliminary data suggests non boosted vaccinations aren't nearly useless. You're right that boosters should be required. If you're boostsd you're probably not hosed. Fingers crossed that you dodge it nevertheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

no

no

don't be a dumbass

don't be an rear end in a top hat