Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Analogue didn’t send out emails yet, but if you check your order status, it’ll tell you which group you’re in.

I’m in group B and thinking to cancel and just hope I can haggle a scalper down to a reasonable price somehow within the next year. Having to wait a solid year before I can get one knowing I had been waiting for years to preorder one after missing the first set is kinda devastating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Just got my email, Group A :toot:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Pretty excited… should I go ahead and buy everdrives or are these likely to get jailbroken?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Right now you need everdrives but also right now a lot of everdrives don't work properly or at all. So I'd say just wait.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My 552 finally landed in LA yesterday but it’s still in customs. I’m holding out hope it comes before Christmas.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

LODGE NORTH posted:

Analogue didn’t send out emails yet, but if you check your order status, it’ll tell you which group you’re in.

I’m in group B and thinking to cancel and just hope I can haggle a scalper down to a reasonable price somehow within the next year. Having to wait a solid year before I can get one knowing I had been waiting for years to preorder one after missing the first set is kinda devastating.

Lmao I'm in Group C.

I'm gonna cancel the order. Any thoughts on what to put the money towards instead, if my interest in the Pocket was playing a bunch of handheld games from a variety of platforms?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I got Group B'd.
So I get to wait a year. Oh well. Maybe I will forget about it.
I might just take this opportunity to play through some other stuff and leave my portable games for next year.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Annath posted:

Lmao I'm in Group C.

I'm gonna cancel the order. Any thoughts on what to put the money towards instead, if my interest in the Pocket was playing a bunch of handheld games from a variety of platforms?

I mean if you just want to play a bunch of handheld games from a variety of platforms, pretty much any device in the OP will run all of them + NES, SNES, Genesis, PSX, and maybe some N64 Saturn and Dreamcast games, depending on the device.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

GetDunked posted:

One thing I would recommend, if you're not adverse to opening it up, is putting some electrical tape between the D-Pad contacts. As is, they set off diagonals way too readily, which confuses some systems (like the NES) that weren't really built with diagonals in mind. Feels way way better now.
This sounds like something I need to do as well. Impossible to keep Lara running in a straight line. Is it obvious how to put the tape when opening up?

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I’m not sure if there’s a better place to ask, but if anyone happens to be into the MiSTer scene, is this listing worth the asking price?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001417547280.html

I might be jumping the gun a bit though because I’m primarily interested in having it for PSone and Saturn games down the road. Is there any point in even considering it, or am I better off waiting for a more powerful board to release?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I wonder if they already started combing landfills for GB carts.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Almost Smart posted:

I’m not sure if there’s a better place to ask, but if anyone happens to be into the MiSTer scene, is this listing worth the asking price?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001417547280.html

I might be jumping the gun a bit though because I’m primarily interested in having it for PSone and Saturn games down the road. Is there any point in even considering it, or am I better off waiting for a more powerful board to release?

That ~USD$450 price seems to be what complete kits generally go for though I can't speak to the reliability of the case.
PS1 and Saturn cores are both making progress but both are still a long ways off and if you're not interested in the other stuff the MiSTer offers you're going to be spending a lot of money just for the hope that those cores come out. Even getting an Xbox Series S and just using it as an emulation box would be cheaper.

There's not likely to be a more powerful board for this kind of project for a long while either as my understanding is the MiSTer project existing at all is down to the cost of the de10 nano board being partially subsidized by its manufacturer, as it's meant to be an educational board for FPGA programming students. This is what lets it be affordable as a niche retro consumer product because higher powered boards start sharply skyrocketing in price.

If you're on the fence I'd look at getting a minimal setup - start by just grabbing the de10 nano board and a 128mb RAM module. That'll let you do everything the MiSTer is capable of via HDMI out. You can then expand it out if you find you're really enjoying it, sit on it and wait for the PSX and Saturn cores, or if you do decide it isn't for you then at least you haven't sunk anywhere near as much into it financially.

This is just my opinion - MiSTer thread is here in Retro Games and you might want to crowdsource some other thoughts there: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905256

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Annath posted:

Lmao I'm in Group C.

Absolutely look into the new gpi case that uses a rpi 4 compute module, the screen won't be near as nice but the software emulation will be tons more capable.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Manky posted:

Absolutely look into the new gpi case that uses a rpi 4 compute module, the screen won't be near as nice but the software emulation will be tons more capable.

Do you have a link to it? Or is this case literally the product? https://www.retroflag.com/GPi-CASE.html

I don't have any experience soldering/assembling beyond replacing the shell on my Switch/JoyCons, so I'd like to just buy the thing.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Annath posted:

Do you have a link to it? Or is this case literally the product? https://www.retroflag.com/GPi-CASE.html

I don't have any experience soldering/assembling beyond replacing the shell on my Switch/JoyCons, so I'd like to just buy the thing.

It's this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09DPM2GSF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No soldering needed -- I'm pretty sure it's literally unscrew two screws, pop the CM4 Lite in, screw the two screws back in.

That said, you do still need to buy a CM4 Lite somewhere to use this.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

LODGE NORTH posted:

It's this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09DPM2GSF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No soldering needed -- I'm pretty sure it's literally unscrew two screws, pop the CM4 Lite in, screw the two screws back in.

That said, you do still need to buy a CM4 Lite somewhere to use this.

Hmmm... Can't seem to find any CM$ in stock.

What RAM sku should I be looking for? 2GB?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Usually the bigger the better, but whatever you would play on the Pocket wouldn't need anything more than a 1GB module if you can find one of those, though.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah, sorry, I didn't quite realize the CM4 modules were as hard to find as everything else...should have guessed.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

There are some on Amazon with varying delivery times. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cm4+lite&crid=3VVEKC65AXS1O&sprefix=cm4+lite%2Caps%2C55&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I found one on AliExpress. 4GB of RAM because that was the cheapest model in stock anywhere I could find. It doesn't have WiFi though. How big a deal is that aspect? The WiFi model seems to be just as scarce, with the only listing I found for $175.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
There's another PiBoy model coming out in February that looks cool as gently caress to me

https://www.experimentalpi.com/PiBoy-XRS_p_59.html

Bit pricier than a 351 device but I like the Pi as an emulation platform a lot

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

loopsheloop posted:

There's another PiBoy model coming out in February that looks cool as gently caress to me

That’s a dope design

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

loopsheloop posted:

Finally a device that makes it as hard to hit start-select-L1-R1 as the Vita.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Annath posted:

Lmao I'm in Group C.

The Anbernic 351 series is pretty good. You can find it on AliExpress or Amazon, or order it directly. There are a few different form factors, you can just drop in new roms, and it's also not too hard to re-flash the SD card if you want a more recent version of the OS. There are several models described/linked in the OP of this thread, and more info at their website: https://anbernic.com/

They can run ROMs from most platforms in existence up to about 2000, and most portable platforms since.

My only recommendation would be to get one of the models with a 4:3 aspect ratio if you want to play older console stuff. The most similar to the Pocket in form factor is the 351V.

Oh yeah or you could get the new RG552, with a higher-res screen (and presumably interpolation?), which is like the Pocket in terms of screen resolution and price.

Edit: if your interest is just playing games with a pocket device, this is definitely a better option than messing around trying to piece together a Raspberry Pi system.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The Anbernic 351 series is pretty good. You can find it on AliExpress or Amazon, or order it directly. There are a few different form factors, you can just drop in new roms, and it's also not too hard to re-flash the SD card if you want a more recent version of the OS. There are several models described/linked in the OP of this thread, and more info at their website: https://anbernic.com/

They can run ROMs from most platforms in existence up to about 2000, and most portable platforms since.

My only recommendation would be to get one of the models with a 4:3 aspect ratio if you want to play older console stuff. The most similar to the Pocket in form factor is the 351V.

Oh yeah or you could get the new RG552, with a higher-res screen (and presumably interpolation?), which is like the Pocket in terms of screen resolution and price.

Edit: if your interest is just playing games with a pocket device, this is definitely a better option than messing around trying to piece together a Raspberry Pi system.

Well, that one mentioned before, buying the shell and the Rpi seemed easy enough. I ordered the Pi from Aliexpress, and can't see any way to cancel the order.

The RG552 seems to say it has 2 memory partitions? A 64GB android and 16GB Linux? How does that work exactly?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Group C for the Pocket, unfortunately. I'll probably stick with it, but its kinda not feeling worth it to wait so long.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Annath posted:

The RG552 seems to say it has 2 memory partitions? A 64GB android and 16GB Linux? How does that work exactly?

It has a 64GB NAND and a 16G SD card with Linux imaged to it. If the SD is inserted (obviously with the OS on there, a storage SD card will just boot Android of the NAND), Linux boots.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Had anyone see any longer videos on how the 552 handles DS games? The few clips I’ve seen make it seems like it does it pretty well.

I’ve got some DS games I’d like to play though when I eventually get mine.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

ryde posted:

Group C for the Pocket, unfortunately. I'll probably stick with it, but its kinda not feeling worth it to wait so long.

I essentially waited that long and I think it was 100% worth it. It’s completely rejuvenated my love for the Game Boy family of games, I’ve probably played 30 hours on it since it came in.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

The Pocket is incredible, the screen is so loving good. I went around to some used media shops to look for some GB carts after I got it, and I gotta say the main showcase so far is Super Mario Bros Deluxe for the GBC. The big colorful blocky graphics look insanely good on the Pocket's screen. GBA games look great but GB and GBC games really steal the show.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Well after all the speed bumps and delays I’m glad the Pocket turned out to be a nice product that’s selling well. Maybe I’ll get one someday but I can’t order something and wait a year.

*cough* Playdate.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

After watching MLIG's review video I really want a Pocket but at this point having to wait over a year sucks rear end tbh

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Since I have this $65 Pi board thing coming, I guess I'll go with the case that was mentioned as well. I would have preferred the 552, but since I can't figure out how to cancel an AliExpress order... :shrug:

I assume I will need to load some kind of software onto the SD card for the CM4? Does the GPi Case 2 come with software? Or is it available for download? I'm worried the instructions will be Engrish'd to hell and hard to follow.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Annath posted:

Since I have this $65 Pi board thing coming, I guess I'll go with the case that was mentioned as well. I would have preferred the 552, but since I can't figure out how to cancel an AliExpress order... :shrug:

I assume I will need to load some kind of software onto the SD card for the CM4? Does the GPi Case 2 come with software? Or is it available for download? I'm worried the instructions will be Engrish'd to hell and hard to follow.

Not sure if this is the one you ordered but he goes into the software side of things here.

https://youtu.be/lvkcr2yK83k

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Keep in mind that the gpi case 2 takes a compute module, a full sized raspberry pi will not fit

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

flavor.flv posted:

Keep in mind that the gpi case 2 takes a compute module, a full sized raspberry pi will not fit

Yeah, I ordered a CM4 Lite.

Unfortunately, after watching the video, I'm thinking that I'll just buy the 552 and try to sell the CM4 when it arrives. The model I was able to get lacks wifi and I think Bluetooth, which appears to be a bigger problem than I thought it would be.

E: I pulled the trigger on a 552 with expedited shipping. Hopefully it arrives eventually haha.

Annath fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 21, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Annath posted:

E: I pulled the trigger on a 552 with expedited shipping. Hopefully it arrives eventually haha.

Fwiw mine should be here this week and I didn’t pay for the faster shipping and they had just rolled them out. It took about two weeks so with the faster shipping you’ll probably have it in a week I have to imagine.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

MarcusSA posted:

Fwiw mine should be here this week and I didn’t pay for the faster shipping and they had just rolled them out. It took about two weeks so with the faster shipping you’ll probably have it in a week I have to imagine.

Good to know! I'm pretty excited. Now I just need Analouge to process my refund request for the Pocket...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stan Taylor posted:

I only had issues with emulators on vita. Even something like Advance Wars had graphical glitches and stuff. Really stinks. Psp games are fun, but honestly there’s not much on a vita to make it worth it. Get it if you’re thinking about buying a psp and it’s not much more but ehhhhh. It’s library is really small especially if you’re not a weeb.

Definitely wouldn’t recommend it to someone who is mostly interested in handheld emulation. (New)3ds runs gba and snes games better, and has a much much better library overall.

Between Vita games, PSP, and Playstation, there is a ton to play on the Vita, but yeah, if you want to use it to play 16 bit games and/or GBA, its not great for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What GBA games have you had issues with?